Pilger: Chavez's Threat of a Good Example Under Fire

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Pilger: Chavez's Threat of a Good Example Under Fire

Postby StarmanSkye » Sun May 14, 2006 7:04 pm

Washington's and the Mass Madia distortions, content censorship and vehement attacks on Venezuela's Chavuz and the Bolivarian Revolution clearly reveal the bias of America's plutocracy against the ideals of participatory democracy, self-empowerment, social development programs, social justice and equitable economic opportunity. Washington's TRUE neoliberal agenda of imperial conquest, exploitation and corporate largesse at the expense of increasing peonage among the masses can hardly be more evident in the way popular opinion is being manipulated to obscure the reality of Venezuala's popular, peaceful revolution. That Bush et al. are so demonstrably hostile to and opposed to what's been happening in Venezuela shows that, above all, they are truly the enemy of social justice, progress, peace and democracy.<br><br>The enormous gains under 8 years of Chavez's leadership contrast with the precipitous declines in America under 6 years of Bush misrule -- and decades of disasterous US foreign policy. <br><br>Chavez, with up to 75 percent popular support, is the most popular leader in the western hemisphere, possibly the world. This must rankle Bush and the neocon clique to no-end, as it underscores their immoral and criminal illegitimacy. The sense of optimism and hope and creative enthusiasm that now pervades Venezuela and gives it enormous confidence in itself is sorely lacking in the US and nations touched by its fear and terror poison of violance and hate. The US desperately needs its OWN Bolvarian revolution, as We, The People reclaim the promise and opportunities of self-rule based on law, and not in thrall to war-profiteers and the kleptocracy.<br>Starman<br>*****<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13026.htm">www.informationclearingho...e13026.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Chávez is a threat because he offers the alternative of a decent society <br><br>Venezuela's president is using oil revenues to liberate the poor - no wonder his enemies want to overthrow him <br>By John Pilger<br><br>05/13/06 "The Guardian" -- -- I have spent the past three weeks filming in the hillside barrios of Caracas, in streets and breeze-block houses that defy gravity and torrential rain and emerge at night like fireflies in the fog. Caracas is said to be one of the world's toughest cities, yet I have known no fear; the poorest have welcomed my colleagues and me with a warmth characteristic of ordinary Venezuelans but also with the unmistakable confidence of a people who know that change is possible and who, in their everyday lives, are reclaiming noble concepts long emptied of their meaning in the west: "reform", "popular democracy", "equity", "social justice" and, yes, "freedom".<br><br>The other night, in a room bare except for a single fluorescent tube, I heard these words spoken by the likes of Ana Lucia Fernandez, aged 86, Celedonia Oviedo, aged 74, and Mavis Mendez, aged 95. A mere 33-year-old, Sonia Alvarez, had come with her two young children. Until about a year ago, none of them could read and write; now they are studying mathematics. For the first time in its modern era, Venezuela has almost 100% literacy.<br><br>This achievement is due to a national programme, called Mision Robinson, designed for adults and teenagers previously denied an education because of poverty. Mision Ribas is giving everyone a secondary school education, called a bachillerato. (The names Robinson and Ribas refer to Venezuelan independence leaders from the 19th century.) Named, like much else here, after the great liberator Simon Bolivar, "Bolivarian", or people's, universities have opened, introducing, as one parent told me, "treasures of the mind, history and music and art, we barely knew existed". Under Hugo Chávez, Venezuela is the first major oil producer to use its oil revenue to liberate the poor.<br><br>Mavis Mendez has seen, in her 95 years, a parade of governments preside over the theft of tens of billions of dollars in oil spoils, much of it flown to Miami, together with the steepest descent into poverty ever known in Latin America; from 18% in 1980 to 65% in 1995, three years before Chávez was elected. "We didn't matter in a human sense," she said. "We lived and died without real education and running water, and food we couldn't afford. When we fell ill, the weakest died. In the east of the city, where the mansions are, we were invisible, or we were feared. Now I can read and write my name, and so much more; and whatever the rich and their media say, we have planted the seeds of true democracy, and I am full of joy that I have lived to witness it."<br><br>Latin American governments often give their regimes a new sense of legitimacy by holding a constituent assembly that drafts a new constitution. When he was elected in 1998, Chávez used this brilliantly to decentralise, to give the impoverished grassroots power they had never known and to begin to dismantle a corrupt political superstructure as a prerequisite to changing the direction of the economy. His setting-up of misions as a means of bypassing saboteurs in the old, corrupt bureaucracy was typical of the extraordinary political and social imagination that is changing Venezuela peacefully. This is his "Bolivarian revolution", which, at this stage, is not dissimilar to the post-war European social democracies.<br><br>Chávez, a former army major, was anxious to prove he was not yet another military "strongman". He promised that his every move would be subject to the will of the people. In his first year as president in 1999, he held an unprecedented number of votes: a referendum on whether or not people wanted a new constituent assembly; elections for the assembly; a second referendum ratifying the new constitution - 71% of the people approved each of the 396 articles that gave Mavis and Celedonia and Ana Lucia, and their children and grandchildren, unheard-of freedoms, such as Article 123, which for the first time recognised the human rights of mixed-race and black people, of whom Chávez is one. "The indigenous peoples," it says, "have the right to maintain their own economic practices, based on reciprocity, solidarity and exchange ... and to define their priorities ... " The little red book of the Venezuelan constitution became a bestseller on the streets. Nora Hernandez, a community worker in Petare barrio, took me to her local state-run supermarket, which is funded entirely by oil revenue and where prices are up to half those in the commercial chains. Proudly, she showed me articles of the constitution written on the backs of soap-powder packets. "We can never go back," she said.<br><br>In La Vega barrio, I listened to a nurse, Mariella Machado, a big round black woman of 45 with a wonderfully wicked laugh, stand and speak at an urban land council on subjects ranging from homelessness to the Iraq war. That day, they were launching Mision Madres de Barrio, a programme aimed specifically at poverty among single mothers. Under the constitution, women have the right to be paid as carers, and can borrow from a special women's bank. From next month, the poorest housewives will get about £120 a month. It is not surprising that Chávez has now won eight elections and referendums in eight years, each time increasing his majority, a world record. He is the most popular head of state in the western hemisphere, probably in the world. That is why he survived, amazingly, a Washington-backed coup in 2002. Mariella and Celedonia and Nora and hundreds of thousands of others came down from the barrios and demanded that the army remain loyal. "The people rescued me," Chávez told me. "They did it with all the media against me, preventing even the basic facts of what had happened. For popular democracy in heroic action, I suggest you need look no further."<br><br>The venomous attacks on Chávez, who arrives in London tomorrow, have begun and resemble uncannily those of the privately owned Venezuelan television and press, which called for the elected government to be overthrown. Fact-deprived attacks on Chávez in the Times and the Financial Times this week, each with that peculiar malice reserved for true dissenters from Thatcher's and Blair's one true way, follow a travesty of journalism on Channel 4 News last month, which effectively accused the Venezuelan president of plotting to make nuclear weapons with Iran, an absurd fantasy. The reporter sneered at policies to eradicate poverty and presented Chávez as a sinister buffoon, while Donald Rumsfeld was allowed to liken him to Hitler, unchallenged. In contrast, Tony Blair, a patrician with no equivalent democratic record, having been elected by a fifth of those eligible to vote and having caused the violent death of tens of thousands of Iraqis, is allowed to continue spinning his truly absurd political survival tale.<br><br>Chávez is, of course, a threat, especially to the United States. Like the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, who based their revolution on the English co-operative movement, and the moderate Allende in Chile, he offers the threat of an alternative way of developing a decent society: in other words, the threat of a good example in a continent where the majority of humanity has long suffered a Washington-designed peonage. In the US media in the 1980s, the "threat" of tiny Nicaragua was seriously debated until it was crushed. Venezuela is clearly being "softened up" for something similar. A US army publication, Doctrine for Asymmetric War against Venezuela, describes Chávez and the Bolivarian revolution as the "largest threat since the Soviet Union and Communism". When I said to Chávez that the US historically had had its way in Latin America, he replied: "Yes, and my assassination would come as no surprise. But the empire is in trouble, and the people of Venezuela will resist an attack. We ask only for the support of all true democrats."<br><br><br>John Pilger's new book, Freedom Next Time , is published next month by Bantam Press www.johnpilger.com<br><br>© Guardian Newspapers Limited 2006<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Pilger: Chavez's Threat of a Good Example Under Fire

Postby antiaristo » Sun May 14, 2006 7:57 pm

Glad you posted that Starman. I read it yesterday and was going to do so myself.<br><br>It has attracted 169 comments in less than two days. There is a lot of support for Chavez<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1773966,00.html">www.guardian.co.uk/commen...66,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>And Murdoch is carrying on with his attempted character assassination of Chavez. Today it is his former mistress (say, Rupert. How about some face-time for Jeff Gannon? My Lover, The Great Dictator.)<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2179460,00.html">www.timesonline.co.uk/art...60,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Re: Pilger: Chavez's Threat of a Good Example Under Fire

Postby StarmanSkye » Sun May 14, 2006 8:40 pm

antiaristo said:<br>"Glad you posted that Starman. I read it yesterday and was going to do so myself."<br><br>****<br>yeah, that's one (among many) really cool things about this forum -- Quite routinely, I'll read something and think it would be real useful or important to share, but get distracted or put-it-off for the time being, to find someone else posts it, usually within a day. It makes it a lot easier to stay on-top of relevant information, and also not feel under pressure to post everything one sees as worthy. <br><br>I'm real encouraged by what's been happening in Venezuela and Bolivia, the social revolution that is spreading in Latin America which has been the scene of horrific violence and exploitation engineered by the US corporate-kleptocrats. The Bolivarian Revolution is largely in response to decades of destructive US Foreign policy, intended to value Capital above the lives of people. Blowback was thus inevitable, as people refuse to be repressed and made serfs of the wealthy elites --increasingly corporations. Wonderful how many comments the Guardian article has generated -- goes to show that class-war consciousness is alive and more folks are waking up all the time.<br><br>Charles Sullivan writes in a recent article:<br>'Fanning the Flames of Dissent'<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13023.htm">www.informationclearingho...e13023.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>--quote--<br>Capital is responsible for the class warfare that has utterly destroyed America. There is only one super power capable of reigning in corporate power and emancipating the people—the rebellion of millions of ordinary but socially conscious working class Americans, regardless of party affiliation. America has suffered well over two centuries of capitalism. One or two percent of the population have benefited while the rest have toiled in virtual slavery. We need to go in another direction. Latin America provides a shinning example of governments that serve the public interest rather than private capital. <br><br>The government knows and understands that the people possess enormous power—a muscle they rarely choose to exercise. It is in the interest of capital to keep the power of the citizenry latent. Giving life to latent power requires arousal, an awakening to reality. Every institution of capital spends enormous sums of energy and capital keeping the masses dormant and disengaged from the public welfare. Much of their capital is necessarily invested in controlling the people and purveying propaganda. If ever the people become aroused, as has happened in the past, capital will again turn violent and brutal in its suppression of populist movements. Witness the lessons of history from the Chicago Haymarket riot of 1886 and numerous other incidents of social unrest (see James Green’s book “Death in the Haymarket”). It is only when massive civil unrest occurs that the brutal and violent oppression of the people is openly revealed on the domestic front, even as it is continually enacted on foreign soils under the pretext of spreading democracy. <br>. . .<br>Given that they own the media in its various incarnations and are financed by the wealthiest people and institutions in the world, it is a wonder that the neocons (radical capitalists) are not faring better than they are. Despite enjoying every advantage they are teetering on the brink of self annihilation. Insatiable greed is the Achilles heel of capital. For them, enough is never enough. They want it all and they yearn for absolute dictatorial power in the fashion of the slave holders of the pre civil war south who kept all the profits produced by slave labor to themselves, while building vast financial empires that drive southern politics and national policy to this day. Capital seeks free labor and an inexhaustible supply of cannon fodder to expand global markets for the rich to continue their long ride of privilege upon the backs of the working class. That is why the outsourcing of jobs is occurring in a mad race to drive down wages as close to zero as possible. <br><br>What hope is there for equality in a culture that values capital above the lives of striving human beings? That has always been the goal of capitalism—to subdue the will of the workers to serve those of privilege. That is why Bush and Rumsfeld and the others can go before the people and lie so easily. They have no respect for anyone but the elite. They disdain the privations and struggles of ordinary working people who play by the rules but have no chance in a corrupt system that is hopelessly arrayed against them. Our lives, our hopes and dreams, mean nothing to them. They have no qualms about sending us to places like Iraq to die for capital; they never have. <br><br>America will never fulfill its promise to the world until the issue of class inequity is finally resolved. It will go on festering beneath the exterior, an angry infection that will again boil to the surface as an open sore with every injustice. Revolution is the only medicine that can cleanse the wound and bring about healing. Revolution does not occur at the ballot box; it happens in the streets. What form the coming revolution will take is anyone’s guess. But it will come as long as there is injustice and inequality. The recent May Day strikes were a sign of hope, a harbinger of things to come. Let us build upon that foundation. The strike is our greatest weapon. Let us use it to greater effect. <br>--end quote--<br><br>Peace;<br>Starman<br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Chavez in London

Postby antiaristo » Mon May 15, 2006 12:08 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:small;">Revolution in the Camden air as Chávez - with amigo Ken - gets a hero's welcome</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <br><br>· Show of solidarity for Venezuelan president<br>· Three-hour speech wins over 800-strong crowd <br><br>Duncan Campbell and Jonathan Steele<br>Monday May 15, 2006<br>The Guardian <br><br>He has been called a terrorist by Washington but for three and a half hours yesterday in London he could do no wrong. An adoring audience of British left-wingers and the Latin American diaspora cheered, clapped, sang and laughed as Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez denounced President Bush and capitalism and praised Ken Livingstone and the Pope.<br><br>The Camden centre in north London is usually home to trade fairs, conferences and school exams, but yesterday it throbbed with calls for a new world order.<br><br>"We love you," shouted a woman at the 800-strong gathering, which President Chávez had been invited to attend by London's mayor. "We love you very much," responded the president in unexpected English. To applause, he told them: "I was remembering my English classes in school. I remember very much my English classes - 'Do you want a coffee? Do you want a glass of milk'?"<br><br>During his marathon address, with occasional pauses to ask his "amigo" Ken whether his time was up, he managed to refer to everyone from George Bernard Shaw to Rosa Luxemburg, Pythagoras to Thomas Jefferson, CLR James to his mother. Reminding his audience it was mother's day in Venezuela and that his speech was going out live on his weekly programme, he even managed to send a message to his mum.<br><br>"Sometimes I'm a terrorist according to Washington or a guy who does military coups," said President Chávez, in front of a backdrop of his country's red, blue and yellow flag. "But all we did was participate in a revolutionary movement, which is what we are doing now." He went through a history of revolution in Latin America and described how his hero, Simon Bolivar, had visited London in 1810.<br><br>He said: "I am a Catholic and a Christian and a very committed Christian and I was talking to the Pope about the struggle against poverty - I call it Christ's cause." Then he was talking about the first time he had met Fidel Castro.<br><br>He won applause from a large contingent of banner-bearing women when he said that one of the features of capitalism is that it excludes and exploits women.<br><br>On the platform with him were many leading figures of the left. He pointed out Tariq Ali, and made him show the crowd a satirical poster he had portraying Chávez, Castro and Bolivia's president, Evo Morales, as the Pirates of the Caribbean. He attacked the administration in Washington as "the greatest threat to this planet ... Imagine they launch this attack on Iran. They've got it planned. If the US attack Iran, people in England who drive cars will have to park them. Oil will be $100 a barrel."<br><br>The man who survived a coup in 2002 - "planned in the Pentagon and the White House" - told the audience to huge applause: "I know there are plans to kill me. It doesn't matter. It won't stop me."<br><br>Last time he visited England, he had tea with the Queen and met Tony Blair but there was no mention of the prime minister yesterday although he has referred to him in the past as a "pawn of imperialism." But he did repeatedly say: "We are socialists. We are building it; it comes from our soul; it has to be imbued with humanism. If you can't love, you can't be a socialist."<br><br>In the audience was Bianca Jagger who said she had come to "listen and learn ... I'm Nicaraguan so I am interested in the politics of Latin America and I have one or two questions I would like to ask him." She said it was important for people in Europe to understand the motivations of President Chávez and President Morales with regard to their energy supplies. "You need to understand the history of the oil companies in Latin America," she said. "They left a terrible environmental disaster behind them and they have never been accountable for it."<br><br>The Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn, who was on the platform, said: "I am very interested in what they are doing in Venezuela in terms of lessening the gap between rich and poor. Maybe the British government could learn something from that. Blair and the government should recognise which way the wind is blowing in Latin America."<br><br>Bob Neill, Leader of the London Assembly Conservatives, will be meeting a delegation of Venezuelan dissidents at City Hall today. Mr Neill said: "They will be able to relay first-hand experiences of violence and oppression in Venezuela."<br><br>President Chávez had arrived in London from a summit in Vienna of leaders from the EU and Latin America and Caribbean nations. This week he will be going to Algeria and Libya. In Vienna, he had said: "The final hours of empire have arrived. Now we have to say to the empire 'We are not afraid of you, you are a paper tiger'." He suggested the US was as doomed as a pig on its way to the slaughterhouse. He also wanted to provide cheap heating oil for poor Europeans. "I want to humbly offer support to the poorest people who do not have resources for central heating in winter and make sure that support arrives."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://politics.guardian.co.uk/gla/story/0,,1774994,00.html">politics.guardian.co.uk/g...94,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Return to Latin America