The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Postby Gouda » Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13119.htm">The Revolution Will Not Be Televised</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Venezuela, 2002. I am half way through this documentary, made by Kim Bartley and Donnacha O'Briain, which is filming at the scene of the Venezuelan presidential palace on April 11, 2002 as the american-backed military coup is happening. Wow. See how an oligarch/CIA operation works. The will of the people are ripped right out from under them by the moneyed powers. Chavez is led out of the palace and his ministers are weeping. <br><br>One scene: after Chavez' forced ouster, the coup generals are making themselves at home in the presidential palace and a catholic priest (or bishop) is amongst them, satisfied, chatting into a cell phone as if he was discussing his stock portfolio. <br><br>After the coup, the installed president, Pedro Carmona (the country's top business leader), declares that his is a new government blessed by the people - that he had received his "mandate" from the people. "A mandate more valuable than any referendum, " given "with the support of all sectors of the society." <br><br>Cut to a woman who asks, "What happened to my vote? I voted for Chavez!"<br><br>Carmona then calls upon the international community "to support this profoundly democratic process." As people mobilize and start to fight back in the streets!<br><br>Then cuts to Ari Fleisher parroting complete bald-faced lies about Chavez supporters firing on and killing scores of civilians (which were actually military-planted coup snipers from rooftops). <br><br>Now, excellent footage of the counter-coup retaking the presidential palace with thousands of people cheering outside the gates. The installed faux ministers are arrested and sent to the basement. Cardena escapes to the Colombian embassy. <br><br>Then we get to see how Cardena lies, live on the news (that would be CNN by the way) saying he still has control of the country and that things are normal. Then watch how the legitimate speaker of the assembly struggles right from the seat of government, the presidential palace, to find media to broadcast the true story: that they had retaken their government. <br><br>OK, watching to the end. A weary Chavez has been brought back from island imprisonment by loyal commanders, and he stages a makeshift press conference (without a PA system even). He addresses everyone, even his opponents (corporate media in the room) saying, look, you can oppose me, Chavez, fine, oppose me - I wish I could change your mind - but you can't oppose this constitution, the people's book, it is like the Popol Vuh, the book of the Maya, the "book of the community."<br><br>He concludes: "Don't let them poison you with their lies."<br><br>Just excellent. A people who have learned to read their own constitution literally take back their country. See how it is done. Excellent work; excellent honest live footage. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Postby dugoboy » Wed May 24, 2006 6:07 pm

what is a video your watching?<br> <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT."</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Postby thoughtographer » Wed May 24, 2006 6:09 pm

It's linked at the top of the post, dugoboy. <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Wed May 24, 2006 6:34 pm

What always kills me is the crowd outside the occupied palace, and the presidential guard secretly signalling that they're with them. And then the joy as the troops gesture from the roof, and it sinks in outside the gates that they've actually won.<br><br>It just kills me.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Postby 4911 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:00 pm

observe by your views how the seeming majority of the energy used is expended not to overthrow the government itself, but rather on convincing the population the "revolution" is of their own will and for their own good.<br><br>Sneaky. Interesting.<br><br><br>Almost...wag the leash, in fact. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=4911>4911</A> at: 5/24/06 6:02 pm<br></i>

Postby sunny » Wed May 24, 2006 8:19 pm

Easily the most inspiring thing I have seen in a long time.<br><br>People who actually took it upon themselves to save their country and ensure their votes counted. Imagine that.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby dbeach » Wed May 24, 2006 8:24 pm

ITS all orchastrated<br>Do you reall thing BIG BRO is gonna allow some punk dictator to do something?<br>PLEASE give me a break . He is a stooge like castro tito sadam chirac bliar ect<br><br>2 wild cards remain PUTIN and CHINA <br>the pigs OWN evrbody else!!<br><br>SOME WORDS still resonate!!<br><br>"You will not be able to stay home, brother.<br>You will not be able to plug in, turn on and cop out.<br>You will not be able to lose yourself on skag and skip,<br>Skip out for beer during commercials,<br>Because the revolution will not be televised.<br><br>The revolution will not be televised.<br>The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox<br>In 4 parts without commercial interruptions.<br>The revolution will not show you pictures of Nixon<br>blowing a bugle and leading a charge by John<br>Mitchell, General Abrams and Spiro Agnew to eat<br>hog maws confiscated from a Harlem sanctuary.<br>The revolution will not be televised.<br><br>The revolution will not be brought to you by the <br>Schaefer Award Theatre and will not star Natalie<br>Woods and Steve McQueen or Bullwinkle and Julia.<br>The revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal.<br>The revolution will not get rid of the nubs.<br>The revolution will not make you look five pounds<br>thinner, because the revolution will not be televised, Brother.<br><br>There will be no pictures of you and Willie May<br>pushing that shopping cart down the block on the dead run,<br>or trying to slide that color television into a stolen ambulance.<br>NBC will not be able predict the winner at 8:32<br>or report from 29 districts.<br>The revolution will not be televised.<br><br>There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down<br>brothers in the instant replay.<br>There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down<br>brothers in the instant replay.<br>There will be no pictures of Whitney Young being<br>run out of Harlem on a rail with a brand new process.<br>There will be no slow motion or still life of Roy<br>Wilkens strolling through Watts in a Red, Black and<br>Green liberation jumpsuit that he had been saving<br>For just the proper occasion.<br><br>Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Hooterville<br>Junction will no longer be so damned relevant, and<br>women will not care if Dick finally gets down with<br>Jane on Search for Tomorrow because Black people<br>will be in the street looking for a brighter day.<br>The revolution will not be televised.<br><br>There will be no highlights on the eleven o'clock<br>news and no pictures of hairy armed women<br>liberationists and Jackie Onassis blowing her nose.<br>The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb,<br>Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom<br>Jones, Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink, or the Rare Earth.<br>The revolution will not be televised.<br><br>The revolution will not be right back after a message<br>bbout a white tornado, white lightning, or white people.<br>You will not have to worry about a dove in your<br>bedroom, a tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.<br>The revolution will not go better with Coke.<br>The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath.<br>The revolution will put you in the driver's seat.<br><br>The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised,<br>will not be televised, will not be televised.<br>The revolution will be no re-run brothers;<br>The revolution will be live."<br> <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Postby dugoboy » Wed May 24, 2006 8:46 pm

chavez is actually not who they wanted in power. i know for a fact the rich of venezuela hate chavez, wanted him thrown out. he is for the people. he has redistributed land to the poor. the CIA literally tried to overthrow him. <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT."</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Postby marykmusic » Wed May 24, 2006 11:03 pm

The only person I know from Venezuela right now is a classmate; she tells me that he is not at all who he seems to be, but is yet another plant. She's very afraid that he will be the one who creates a US war in her country by something he does or says (all planned, of course.)<br><br>And thanks for those lyrics, dbeach. I loved that song! --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Postby dbeach » Wed May 24, 2006 11:47 pm

"MARY MARY WHERE YA GOING TO??"<br><br>BIG BRO knows all This tinhorn dictater is another actor full of ego and big pig money..I been reading for 2 years to how this scumbucket is gonna act tuff to jr madman bush <br><br>so as to start a nice version of WW III american style.<br><br> free gas for massachuseettss .big deal he did'nt pay for it..<br><br> he just trying to gain liberal sympathy in US seems to working according to plan<br><br>china armed him .<br><br>china russia india signed some big ole deal with him and so did Iran .<br><br>sound familiar ??<br><br>uncle sugar has toyed with these types for yrs .<br> now uncle is so weak a bush twister and its martial law.<br><br>there is no US Treasury the pigs stole it bush clintons kerry queen elizardbeth and the many viceroys and crooks <br><br>dbeach ..<br><br>surfin to through and after the coming Apocalypse<br><br>survival is a necessary way to think!<br><br>Dante has these TRAITORS tagged for yrs.<br><br> Deepest pits in the inferno<br><br>hasta scions of privlege <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Postby FourthBase » Thu May 25, 2006 1:29 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060524/ap_on_hi_te/chavez_game">news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060...havez_game</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Postby StarmanSkye » Thu May 25, 2006 1:31 am

Chavez is a Dictator?<br><br>BULLSHIT.<br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

God bless Gil Scott-Heron. . .

Postby DBtv » Thu May 25, 2006 1:40 am

a political prisoner in the War on (some) Drugs. <p></p><i></i>
DBtv

Aye... bullshit.

Postby professorpan » Thu May 25, 2006 1:47 am

I echo Starman. <br><br>Christ, first Amy Goodman is one of "them."<br><br>Now Hugo gets tarred -- the one statesman in the Western Hemisphere who is actively opposing the Bush Cultists. And feeding and teaching the poor of his country with the profits of Mother Earth's black blood, instead of funneling it into Exxon's CEO's boardroom furnishings. <br><br>Fuck this postmodern "everyone is the enemy" bullshit. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby Sepka » Thu May 25, 2006 7:55 am

Honestly... If you believe that any senior politician, or national leader of whatever stripe is an altruist, I have a bridge to sell you*. Chavez supports the agenda of Venezuela's poor because that's his power base. Leaders are all very, very similar in their motivations and behaviours. The trick is to identify and support the ones whose power base you belong to, as they have a vested interest in your prosperity and safety. That's the basis of politics.<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel<br><br>*It's a very nice bridge too, and would be a steal at ten times the price! <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Next

Return to Latin America