Eyewitness in Oaxaca: Center of Mexican Teacher's Protest

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Eyewitness in Oaxaca: Center of Mexican Teacher's Protest

Postby StarmanSkye » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:42 am

<br>Things are getting MIGHTY tense as social justice demonstrators anticipate the government's response re: a brutal crackdown against massive civil disobedience protests finding widespread public support. The Mexican public is directly challenging the PTB and their support for the ruling class globalist elites and their disasterous neoliberal projects, underscoring the many inconsistencies, contradictions and injustices that are the consequences of their exploitation by the NWO gang and their corrupt politicos.<br><br>Power to the People!<br>Starman<br>******<br><br>Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit <br><br>sent by Ed Pearl - Jun 18, 2006 <br><br><br>Another firsthand report from teachers' struggle in Oaxaca <br><br><br>What follows is a report from Lois Meyer, a professor from University of New Mexico who is working on a language project in Oaxaca: <br><br>June 16, 2006 <br><br>It is amazing to be in Oaxaca at this historic time. The fact that I was personally caught up in the police action was a frightening but also amazing experience. I feel that my presence here now, precisely at this time, and my eyewitness experience with the brutal clearing out of the teachers <br>encampment, obligate me to send reports as best I can. Especially since friends tell me there is little report of this in the international press. The teachers here have told me that my "tequio" (collaboration on behalf of the community) is to spread the word. Fortunately, since my closest friends <br>and colleagues are deeply enmeshed in this struggle, I am able to confer with them regularly and hear their perspective on all that is happening. <br><br>In about an hour the third "megamarcha" is to begin. Since the teachers are now firmly in control again of the historic center of the city, the march is expected to be massive. The fact that after the first brutal actions by the police early Wedn. morning the teachers regrouped, armed themselves with sticks and rocks, and fought back against the armed police, was never expected by the government. Within 4 hours the Zocalo was again under the control of the teachers. According to my friends here, though there have <br>been violent destructions of teacher encampments in the past, there has never before been this kind of teacher resistance and victory. Apparently, during the police action, teachers used their cellphones to inform family and friends, and whole neighborhoods of the city rose up and marched into the Zocalo in support of the teachers. Shortly thereafter, teachers and parents were marching in cities around the state and also coming into the city itself. <br><br>The police brutality has now created a state of general uprising by civic groups, parents and communities. Oaxaca has become the focal point of political and social resistance in the country. Groups are coming from all over Mexico for this march. I have heard the rumor, and fully expect that it is true, that the Zapatistas, and Subcomandante Marcos himself, will be here. <br><br>The one thing that concerns me is that this kind of popular uprising, which now has far surpassed a teachers strike, MUST be met by repression by a repressive government.. The march is now clearly calling for the PRI governor to be dumped. The national elections are being held in question. How can the Mexican establishment allow this to go on? Everyone says that if there is repression now, it will be massive and brutal and will be met by violent resistance. So the news from Oaxaca needs to be publicized during these next days. <br><br>I will do what I can to contribute to that effort. My "granito de arena", as they say here... <br>***<br>.NY Transfer News Collective * A Service of Blythe Systems. Since 1985 - Information for the Rest of Us . <br>.339 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012 <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.blythe.org">www.blythe.org</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br>List Archives: <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="https://olm.blythe-systems.com/pipermail/nytr">/olm.blythe-systems.com/pipermail/nytr</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Subscribe: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="https://olm.blythe-systems.com/mailman/listinfo/nytr">/olm.blythe-systems.com/m...tinfo/nytr</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Blog: View Blog (0)

AP: U.S. crackdown worries Mexico border towns

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:58 am

(If you read this, Professor Pan, this is why I think there is a reason for a Jack Black comedy movie about Mexico as a psychic shock-absorber for Americans. Not much to laugh about on our border, a crisis zone that could spill into the news cycle and ruin the anti-immigrant and anti-poor propaganda campaign towards a national ID card.)<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060616/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_no_way_home">news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060...o_way_home</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>By JULIE WATSON, Associated Press Writer Fri Jun 16, 2006<br><br>Nearly 1 million people, many of them penniless, were turned back across the border last year, and analysts fear that tougher new U.S. border enforcement will inundate border towns with the desperate and the destitute.<br><br>Migrant shelter directors are scrambling for funds and considering hiring more staff to keep their doors open 24 hours a day in anticipation of a record number of migrants being repatriated.<br><br>"Everyone is getting ready because we're worried there is going to be a mass deportation of people," said Francisco Loureiro, who runs a migrant shelter in Nogales that houses up to 120 people a night. "We're worried there's going to be too many people to tend to, and we just don't have the room for more."<br> <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: AP: U.S. crackdown worries Mexico border towns

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:27 am

A Mexican mob is no laughing matter. Get enough of these people pissed off and they're gonna tie you up and light your ass on fire..<br><br>Alive. <p></p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Re: Eyewitness in Oaxaca: Center of Mexican Teacher's Protes

Postby Al Gomas » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:24 am

Please let this be a victory for the people. God knows, we need one... <p></p><i></i>
Al Gomas

Re: Eyewitness in Oaxaca: Center of Mexican Teacher's Protes

Postby PeterofLoneTree » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:51 am

This originally caught my eye because of the use of a grenade.<br><br>"Reuters: Grenade Attack on Mexican Newspaper Office Near U.S. Border" <br>Editor and Publisher | February 7 2006<br>"NEW YORK Gunmen blasted their way into the offices of a newspaper near Mexico's border with the United States on Monday, tossing a grenade and gravely wounding a reporter."<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>A night shift reporter at El Manana in Nuevo Laredo, Jaime Orozco, is fighting for his life today, Reuters reports, based on a phone conversation with director Daniel Rosas. One of the gunmen tossed a grenade into the newsroom, he said. Orozco received five bullet wounds. <br>Nuevo Laredo is on the front line of a battle for control of the cross-border trade in drugs..."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.propagandamatrix.com/articles/february2006/070206granade.htm">www.propagandamatrix.com/...ranade.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
PeterofLoneTree

Nacho

Postby professorpan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:51 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>(If you read this, Professor Pan, this is why I think there is a reason for a Jack Black comedy movie about Mexico as a psychic shock-absorber for Americans. Not much to laugh about on our border, a crisis zone that could spill into the news cycle and ruin the anti-immigrant and anti-poor propaganda campaign towards a national ID card.)<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Sorry, Hugh, but for the reasons I've enumerated ad nauseum, your Nacho Libre as psyop theory just doesn't hold the salsa.<br><br>But back to this thread. . .<br><br>(edit) Oaxaca is one of my favorite cities in Mexico. But the Maya live in extreme poverty, and are considered second class citizens by many of the Mestizos. It's sad to see so many Mayan women begging on the sidewalks, with their children next to them -- knowing they were once the rulers of most of Central America.<br><br>But we've seen that happen to Native people across the planet. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=professorpan>professorpan</A> at: 6/20/06 9:34 am<br></i>
professorpan

election

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:08 pm

This election should be very interesting. I wonder if they will have their own "Florida" and "Ohio". I also wonder if Bush's immigration policy, particularly with regards to the "amnesty" piece, would change if a lefty wins in Mexico. But, I suppose if Madrazo were to drop out, Obrador would pick up his votes. Where's my popcorn?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=12584075&src=eDialog/GetContent">go.reuters.com/newsArticl...GetContent</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> "Mexico's leftist presidential candidate Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador extended his lead over his conservative rival to 4 percentage points in a poll published in the Excelsior newspaper on Tuesday. <br>With the July 2 ballot looming, the poll gave Lopez Obrador 36.5 percent of the potential vote, compared to 32.5 percent for his closest rival, ruling party candidate Felipe Calderon. <br><br>Roberto Madrazo of the Institutional Revolutionary party, which ruled Mexico for 71 years until being beaten by President Vicente Fox in 2000, trailed in third place with 27 percent, unchanged from the previous Excelsior poll, published June 6. ...."<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Return to Latin America