Oaxaca Popular Assembly Leader Assassinated

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Oaxaca Popular Assembly Leader Assassinated

Postby Gouda » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:05 pm

Shit. <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Maximum Alert: APPO Leader Assassinated in Oaxaca City</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>It Is the Ninth Murder of a Popular Assembly Member<br><br>La Jornada<br><br>October 19, 2006<br><br>Pánfilo Hernández, teacher and leader of the Popular Assembly of the Peoples of Oaxaca (APPO), was assassinated at 9:45 last night in Oaxaca City by gunmen who were traveling in a blue Tsuru automobile.<br><br>Hernández died when the APPO group he was traveling with in a private car after finishing an assembly in the Jardín neighborhood, was fired upon.<br><br>This is the ninth homicide committed against members of the Popular Assembly since they began demanding the removal of Governor Ulises Ruiz.<br><br>More information available in the expanded Spanish version of this article, English translation to follow later today.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.narconews.com/Issue43/article2191.html">www.narconews.com/Issue43...e2191.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Oaxaca Popular Assembly Leader Assassinated

Postby 1 tal » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:28 pm

<br><br> can anyone provide an instance when a<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>right-wing</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> figure was assassinated?<br><br> Van Gogh doesn't count because, while he was <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>portrayed</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> as a rabid right-wing racist, his actual stance was much more nuanced...<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
1 tal

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:30 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Shit</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. I said the same thing when I read the subject line.<br><br>Here's another account of it:<br><br>OAXACA, Mexico A teacher was shot to death in Oaxaca, the latest violence in this historic Mexican city paralyzed for months by protesters, police said.<br> <br>Panfilo Hernandez, 48, was walking in the Jardin neighborhood late Wednesday when gunmen traveling in a car opened fire, said a state police official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.<br> <br>Hernandez died minutes after arriving at a hospital, the official said.<br> <br>Thousands of teachers and trade unionists affiliated with the Popular Assembly of the People of Oaxaca, or APPO, have been camped out in Oaxaca since May, building barricades, taking over buildings and burning buses. The protesters are demanding the resignation of Oaxaca Governor Ulises Ruiz, accusing him of rigging the 2004 election to win office and sending armed thugs against dissenters.<br> <br>It wasn't clear if Hernandez was an APPO member but Florentino Lopez, a spokesman for the protesters, accused police of being behind the attack.<br> <br>Shortly after Hernandez's killing, protesters detained police officer Rene Diaz, blindfolded him and tied him to the kiosk in the city's main plaza after they found him walking near the area where Hernandez was shot.<br> <br>The latest violence comes as federal lawmakers discuss whether to send a bill to the Senate that could remove Gov. Ulises Ruiz on the grounds that he has lost control of his state.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/19/america/LA_GEN_Mexico_Oaxaca_Unrest.php">www.iht.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Postby anotherdrew » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:16 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>can anyone provide an instance when aright-wing figure was assassinated?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>in Columbia maybe.<br><br>basicly normal people are trying to work 'within the system' peacfully. but what if there isn't really a system? what if it's actually just rule by the strongest? <p></p><i></i>
anotherdrew

Postby isachar » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:59 pm

"what if there isn't really a system? what if it's actually just rule by the strongest?"<br><br>That certainly describes Mexico, the PRI/PRD alliance of the murderous caciques, drug cartels, oligarchs, plutocracy and nuevo riche industrialist NAFTA/class. Not to mention much of the rest of Latin America, and increasingly the Norte.<br><br>My sources in Oaxaca (some active in the APPO) were, before this latest event, fairly confident that the Governor of Oaxaca was going to be removed. But this latest murder, along with earlier kidnappings and imprisonment of activists suggests to me that the Oaxaca Governor (whose election was as fraudulent as Calderon's) and Fox/Calderon are going to go the traditional route. <p></p><i></i>
isachar

Return to Latin America