American killed during Oaxaca shootout

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

American killed during Oaxaca shootout

Postby brownzeroed » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:11 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061028/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_oaxaca_unrest" target="top">From AP:</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>"<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>OAXACA, Mexico - Two shootouts left an American journalist dead and several other people injured Friday in this city where protesters have barricaded streets and occupied government buildings for five months in a bid to oust the governor</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->"<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.narconews.com/Issue43/article2223.html" target="top">From Narco News:</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>"<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Brad Will, 36, a documentary filmmaker and reporter for Indymedia in New York, Bolivia and Brazil, died today of a gunshot to the chest when pro-government attackers opened fire on a barricade in the neighborhood of Santa Lucia El Camino, on the outskirts of Oaxaca, Mexico. He died with his video camera in his hands</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->" <p></p><i></i>
brownzeroed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: American killed during Oaxaca shootout

Postby isachar » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:26 am

URO has decided o a 'low' level policy of assassinations, intimidation, shootings and kidnappings. I think this is the first extranero to be shot and killed by URO's thugs.<br><br>anyone got some dough to buy or set up a radio station in Oaxaca? <br><br>Radio Casserola - free voice of the people - may need a new home soon.<br><br>damn Fox needs to get URO to step down, but this will only enfranchise the APPO and weaken Calderon. I expect the pot to be kept on low boil for now. when no one is looking (Christmas/New Years perhaps), and before Calderon is sworn in, he just may call in the Federales and troops to assert Federal control of the City, arrest and imprison some APPO leaders, and thereafter slowly assassinate or intimidate the others.<br><br>This could lead to Oaxaca's overt criminalization/militarization as various federal criminal police elements along with drug and criminal gangs will be brought in from the North (or Veracruz) to do this dirty work. <p></p><i></i>
isachar

Re: American killed during Oaxaca shootout

Postby brownzeroed » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:07 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>This could lead to Oaxaca's overt criminalization/militarization as various federal criminal police elements along with drug and criminal gangs will be brought in from the North (or Veracruz) to do this dirty work</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Indeed. Once, I started hearing ANY serious mention of the events in Oaxaca (through AP, LA Times, NPR, etc.) these past few weeks, I had a feeling this would start. The press always defines the argument before a big putsch. This round, the MSM (as defined by NPR's <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Marketplace</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->) frames the struggle as "law and order" versus "greedy teachers disrupting the tourist trade". A bit off the mark, eh? <br><br>Here's an example of NPR's piss poor coverage of Oaxaca: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2006/08/30/PM200608304.html" target="top">Wednesday, August 30, 2006</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
brownzeroed

Return to Latin America