The Metropolitan Police and Black Men

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Metropolitan Police and Black Men

Postby antiaristo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:22 pm

This is the truth about London's police.<br>Remember de Menezes?<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:small;">Yard accused as case collapses over a family night out at the theatre that ended in arrest</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <br><br>· Met may face legal action after West End drug claim<br>· Outraged actors backed trio's case against police <br><br>Hugh Muir<br>Thursday March 23, 2006<br>The Guardian <br><br><br>Scotland Yard is facing severe criticism and the threat of legal action after an attempt to prosecute a group of West End theatregoers collapsed in chaos yesterday. Leading theatrical figures mounted a protest after the arrest of O'Neill Crooks, a builder, his son Divanio, 23, and a family friend, Yasmin Adbi, 21, outside the Apollo Theatre in Soho last July.<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The group was accused of threatening behaviour and assault</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> after Mr Crooks refused to submit to a police search, having been accosted at the rear of the theatre by officers who wrongly accused him of drug dealing.<br><br>Mr Crooks and his family had attended a performance of The Big Life, the acclaimed stage production about the Windrush immigrants. The show, which was nominated for an Olivier award, was the first black British musical to transfer to the West End and was praised for bringing many minority theatregoers into central London for the first time. Mr Crooks, who is black, had recognised a member of the orchestra - someone he had not seen for many years, he said - and <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>was speaking to him when they were arrested</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. Mr Crooks and his wife, Patricia, had organised trips for other members of the black community to see the show.<br><br>The arrests triggered such anger that leading members of the cast, who saw the incident, supplied formal statements on the family's behalf and were <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>poised to give evidence that sharply conflicts with the version of events given by the police.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> The case so worried Bill Kenwright, the multimillionaire theatre impresario, that he funded the family's defence team of solicitors and two barristers. Philip Headley, the show's associate producer, said: "This family had eight months of torture and all they wanted to do was go to the theatre. This show was unusual in that the audience every night was more than half black. Justice has been done but the toll on them has been terrible." Mr Kenwright added: "I felt very strongly about this. Speaking to everyone in the production and everyone in the theatre, we knew that all this family wanted to do was enjoy themselves and help the show.<br><br>"<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>When I first heard what happened it was like something from a bad movie. It seemed Kafkaesque."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>The case collapsed before reaching trial when the prosecution <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>could not produce its one independent witness</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. By contrast, the district judge, Michael Snow, sitting at Horseferry Road magistrates court, was told that the Crooks family would be supporting their case with <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>six independent witnesses.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> The court was also told that "bad character" evidence would have been called in relation to one of the police officers concerned, Brona McManus, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>who claimed she was assaulted by Ms Adbi.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Jennifer Birch, the prosecutor, revealed that PC McManus had been involved in a case that had concluded last week with the officer being described by a district judge as an "incredible" witness. Ms Birch, who was also prosecutor for that case, told the magistrate that it had also involved allegations of an assault on PC McManus and that <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>she had used her baton on both occasions.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> She acknowledged that the officer's testimony would amount to a "credibility matter".<br><br>Justin Cole, for Ms Adbi, said of the cases: "The similarities are quite remarkable: the use of the baton and <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>the allegation that the same words were used."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>After consulting senior officials at the Crown Prosecution Service, Ms Birch told the court that <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>on seeing the witness statements for the defence, the crown had decided not to proceed.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Mr Crooks, of Camberwell, south London, said he would complain to the Independent Police Complaints Commission and might start a civil action. "The officers were so adamant that I was selling drugs. They were pushing me against the wall. I fought this case, even before we had a solicitor and a barrister, because I felt there had been total injustice."<br><br>His son, an IT student, said they would not easily recover. "They came to intimidate us and created a situation that needn't have happened. My mother is unwell, Yasmin has lost jobs because this case was pending and we have all had sleepless nights. We have paid a heavy price."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1737496,00.html">arts.guardian.co.uk/news/...96,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>If it had not been a black production, where the artists were themselves black, this family would now be in prison. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=antiaristo>antiaristo</A> at: 3/24/06 8:37 am<br></i>
antiaristo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Metrpolitan Police and Black Men

Postby HMKGrey » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm English. Lived in London for years. <br><br>The Met's racism is pretty much completely accepted. It's the stuff of stand up comedians (not even late night) and TV sketch shows. <br><br>It's strange but it's not neccesarily okay to talk about it but it is okay to laugh about it. <br><br>How fucked up are the English? <p></p><i></i>
HMKGrey

Postby antiaristo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

HMK,<br>The English are COMPLETELY fucked up.<br><br>I didn't really notice it until I was forced to flee the country. At first, in Ireland I noticed a distinct reduction in social tension.<br><br>Then when I came to Spain the scales fell from my eyes.<br>We are SO fucked up.<br><br>We've been getting mind-fucked for about 120 years.<br>They've been using our sexuality against us for at least that long.<br><br>They've been doing it in the USA for far less time, but against that they have far more efficient tools.<br><br>I'd NEVER willingly live in either country. <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Postby HMKGrey » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:20 pm

<br>Always amazes me how much they drink. And I'm not being a prude. <br><br>But by any sensible measure most of the adults in the country are alcoholics. <br><br>What does that say? Obviously, a lot. <p></p><i></i>
HMKGrey

Drugs - Legal and Illegal

Postby antiaristo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:33 pm

HMK,<br>I never understood why the PTB went to such ridiculous lengths to suppress cannabis.<br><br>And they've now introduced 24 hour drinking.<br><br>None of it makes sense unless you understand their agenda.<br><br>And NOWHERE on that agenda is the public good. <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Postby StarmanSkye » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:49 am

Heyia -- Thanks for posting this crisp slice-of-life snapshot -- it adds to my understanding of how institutionalized rascism works in the UK, similiar to but distinct to that in the US where it's more hidden -- but in both instances being used to aggravate social stratification while emphasizing the perception of biased class interests, which works to legitimize instruments of social control that preserves the status quo.<br>It's actually a very sophisticated social-conditioning psyop, as I see it involving displacement and projection -- displacing public outrage and frustration re: bigotry and injustice and projecting the symptom (and perception) of racial hate onto selected, appropriate 'targets', ie. terrorism and Muslim Extremism.<br><br>But then, wars and conflict have always been used to deflect or avoid self-awareness, constructive criticism and personal/social growth.<br><br>Does this manifestation of state-sanctioned rascist profiling reflect the growing cultural influence/popularity of White Power groups in the UK (and mimiced in Germany?)<br><br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Postby HMKGrey » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:34 am

Antiaristo, yeah the UK govts approach to drugs is fascinating. I've always seen it as a sort of microcosm and extension of the worst of US policy. <br><br>Essentially the view is that cannabis and - especially - ecstacy is evil while alcohol is good. Yet any report, any research and any police commissioner can tell you that the actual cost of dealing with alcohol related crime is exponentially that of dealing with any cannabis or ecstacy related crime. It makes no sense.<br><br>But then, it wouldn't would it?<br><br>Like so many things, it just hides in plain view. Like the noses on our faces, the elephant in the room. One only has to give this a cursory application of logic to see that something is going on. <br><br>I was lucky enough to be part of the UK's infamous 'rave generation' of the late 80's and early 90's. The way the govt and the police reacted to peaceful rave gatherings where ecsatcy and cannabis were the main drugs (99%, easily) was astonishing. With all the road blocks, helicopters, riot police, vans, horses and stuff you'd have thought we were murdering babies, not dancing under the stars. It was an incredible experience and probably responsible for no small amount of eyes and minds opening. <br><br>Then, out of nowhere, all these hard drugs and cheap alcohol came in... the rest is a grim history of paradise lost. <br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Stone Roses</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> eponymous first album still captures that time and was recently voted Britain's #1 album of all time by the largest public vote ever held by Channel 4. This speaks volumes about the cultural and generational resonance of those days. We finally shed the shadow of the 60's and emerged in to our own glorious day light... but, of course, it wasn't to last. <br><br>I know that these are simple thoughts in teh scheme of things but I believe they have significance too. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
HMKGrey

driving whilst black

Postby blanc » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:18 am

not just the met. being in the uk for a few days, I saw a news report of a man bringing a complaint against kent police. being a pretty articulate and informed person, he had managed to get the police car video of his "arrest" . we saw this on tv. basically, his car was followed, not breaking speed limit or driving carelessly, in a residential area, for no apparent reason. he was stopped and asked to step out and show his documents, he complied. on getting back into the car, the officer decided that the gum he had in his mouth was cannabis. (!) the man took it out, but the officer persisted in his claims, spraying him at close range, whilst in his car, with cs gas. the man stumbled out of the car blinded, and was arrested by several officers who had joined the scene, charged with , if I recall correctly, assaulting the police. the man's comment that there is an offence in this country called 'driving whilst black' stuck in my mind. I don't think this mindset is confined to uk police. I know personally a few parisians who come into that wide group of persons called 'black', they tell me that it is not possible to drive their legally held vehicles without being constantly stopped for no offence. this contrasts with my experience - in forty years of driving in both countries, virtually every day, i have never been stopped by police (fingers crossed at this point). I don't know what we do about this.<br>I'd add that prejudice against women bringing complaints of rape or similar assaults is just as virulent. add this to what was signalled on the menenez thread, that police have no duty of care to ordinary citizens, and one wonders what's the point? do we need them? <p></p><i></i>
blanc

Paradise Lost

Postby StarmanSkye » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:27 am

Hmmm...<br>Seems, UK's approach to drugs is reflective in many ways to that of the US -- a hyper-vigilant, pro-active, even brutal police-state clamp-down and prosecution of ecstasy and pot with their sacrament-like, community-enhancing shared-experience mild euphoric properties that fostered creative musical and artistic expression, beatific and enobling experiences and extended social-networks in a dynamic, viobrant cultural milieu of peace, joy, friendship, generosity, celebration, cooperation, respect for self-and-others, personal growth and transformation -- sure, it's easy to see why the PTB elites would find that subversive and threatening to their interests.<br><br>And so they subsidized the cheap-thrills of alcohol, cocaine/crack and heroin instead -- throwing in tacit accomodation to the vices of gambling, commercial sex, and gratuitous overindulgence (which have always been lucrative taxed-franchises).<br><br>Something very insidious and revealing there alright.<br><br>Still and all -- Interesting observation that the rave-scene shut-down opened a lot of eyes to the truth of the police-state's agendas and goals, answering why the state treated ravers as bigger, more-dangerous criminals than pedophiles and slavers, racketeers and arms-smugglers and murdering thugs. Rainbow Gatherings have been routinely persecuted for the past 30 years here in the States, for many of the same reasons as have Raves and counter-culture folks/events.<br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Re: Paradise Lost

Postby havanagilla » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:15 am

Starm, please enlighten the ignorant, how is Ecstasi different from cocaine, in terms of socialization ? <br>From a "drug challenged" position, they seem pretty much the same. At least here in SIrael, those who push Ecstasi ARE the ELITEs, and in fact the gov't of Israel pushes Ecstasi. (There was the famous ex MINISTER here who was caught dealing ecstasi, and senior military figures were also caught in the trade, and so forth, giving the impression that this is a state sponsored business). How is that consistent with your claims about the elites having interest to crack down the "drug free love creativity" community ? <br>The explanation might be easier, they are doing it to keep the prices up and the profits higher, not because of the progressive social products of drug use. that's what I think. Hence my "archie bunker" views on drugs. If you don't get hooked you don't contribute to this cruel industry. <br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

CROWN Prosecution Service

Postby antiaristo » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

What do people think about the behaviour of the CROWN Prosecution Service?<br><br>An educated man like Bill Kenwrite called it "Kafkaesque".<br><br>The matter was not resolved until the district judge actually sat.<br>At which point "Ms Birch told the court....the crown had decided not to proceed."<br>"the case collapsed" "in chaos".<br>Are they REALLY saying this was their first sight of those SIX witness statements?<br><br>This sounds like a game of chicken, no?<br><br>What sort of behaviour is that for a supposedly "independent" prosecutor?<br>Think Patrick Fitzgerald.<br><br>Eight months of "the family's defence team of solicitors and two barristers".<br><br>Those guys cost $1000 upwards per HOUR.<br><br>How much did all THAT cost? $200,000? $300,000?<br><br>Can't you see what went on here?<br><br>And the reason WHY it went on?<br><br>Both the police and the prosecuting authority are CROWN institutions. They owe no duty to the general public.<br><br>They work hand-in-glove. They cover each other's back, as institutions.<br><br>No way this would ever have happened with a grand jury making the decisions. <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Re: The British Police and Black Men

Postby antiaristo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:20 am

She's screwing the Irish.<br>Why not Blacks as well?<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:small;">Diversity target is unrealistic say police chiefs</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <br><br>· Target on Asian and black officers 'too ambitious'<br>· Top officers 'have failed to get message across' <br><br>Vikram Dodd<br>Friday March 31, 2006<br>The Guardian <br><br><br>Britain's chief police officers have asked the government to abandon one of the key reforms introduced after the bungled investigation into the murder of Stephen Lawrence. Forces were set a 2009 deadline to become racially representative of the communities they serve, by boosting the numbers of ethnic minority officers. But police say the target is unrealistic and cannot be met, despite being given 10 years to achieve it.<br>One chief constable told the Guardian that senior officers had to take the blame for failing to convince their staff and the public that diversity was essential for better policing and not just about "political correctness". They believe the government will agree to scrap the pledge, in return for anew target on ethnic minority recruitment.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The target was drawn up after a public inquiry found the 1993 murderers of black student Stephen Lawrence had evaded justice, in part because of institutional racism among officers.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>By 2009 7% of all police forces were supposed to be Asian or black. At present 3.5% of Britain's 140,000 officers are from ethnic minorities.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,,1743755,00.html">www.guardian.co.uk/race/s...55,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:small;">Unequal use of stop and search against ethnic minorities</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <br><br>Alan Travis, home affairs editor<br>Friday March 31, 2006<br>The Guardian <br><br><br>Black people are still six times more likely to be stopped and searched in the street by the police than white people, according to Home Office research published yesterday.<br>Black people continue to be over-represented at every level of the criminal justice system, from being three times more likely to be arrested all the way through to prison where <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>minority ethnic groups make up 24% of the jail population</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->.<br><br>The figures, which also show Asian people are twice as likely to be stopped as white people, suggest little has changed since the 1999 Stephen Lawrence inquiry into the way minority ethnic groups are policed in England and Wales.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Although the number of deaths in police custody rose from 100 to 106 last year, the number of black people dying was 10 in both years.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>The Home Office researchers say the evidence suggests the imbalance is not simply the result of ethnic minority people committing a disproportionate number of crimes. They say there is not yet sufficiently robust data to reach any conclusions about why this is so.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,,1743781,00.html">www.guardian.co.uk/race/s...81,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
antiaristo

Re: Paradise Lost, XTC v Cocaine and the social effects

Postby hmm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:03 am

XTC probably deserves its own thread on RI but i will offer some brief observations..<br><br>to sum up the difference between cocaine and xtc (in "idealised" form):<br><br>cocaine is limitless ego, one is a perfect god among mortal fools.<br><br>xtc is limitless and pure love, beauty is everywhere, giving and selfless sharing even among perfect (and most telling imperfect) strangers.<br><br>my experience with cocaine users has been extremely negative, it brings out the worst in a person.<br><br>xtc and anti-depressants work on the same "part" of the brain in opposite ways.<br><br>simplified, xtc releases the seratonin in your brain, anti-depressants block the (re)uptake of seratonin in your brain.<br><br>there is the suggestion that blocking the reuptake of seratonin is not a good way to treat depression.<br><br>The elite and israeli elite connections you mention relating to xtc are quite puzzling considering i view it as one of the drugs least likely to make one accepting of the world as it is today. i tentatively lean towards the profit motive as an explanation of their involvement..<br><br>One site i have found useful is <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.erowid.org/">www.erowid.org/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>"documenting the complex relationship between humans and psychoactives"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>It is one of the few sites that i know of that examines drugs in a rigorous fashion without sensationalism. <p></p><i></i>
hmm

Return to Justice