Robert Browne...serial killer?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Robert Browne...serial killer?

Postby Dreams End » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:25 pm

Here's a handy thing. This guy just admitted to a score of unsolved murders. Anyone heard of him? <br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Prisoner says he killed 48 across U.S.<br>Newspaper says police have linked inmate to 19 slayings<br><br><br>COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (AP) -- A Colorado man serving a life sentence for murdering a teenage girl has claimed responsibility for up to 48 slayings across the country, authorities said Thursday.<br><br>Robert Charles Browne, 53, told authorities the slayings occurred from 1970 until his arrest in 1995, the sheriff's department said in a statement.<br><br>Sheriff Terry Maketa told The Gazette of Colorado Springs that Browne is believable.<br><br>If Browne's claims prove true, he would be one of the most prolific killers in U.S. history.<br><br>The investigation was first reported on the newspaper's Web site. The paper said authorities have linked Browne to 19 of the slayings, in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington and South Korea.<br><br>Charlie Hess, a sheriff's department cold-case investigator, said Browne told him he strangled, shot or stabbed men and women he encountered along roads, in bars or on the street, the newspaper reported.<br><br>The department scheduled a news conference for later Thursday.<br><br>Browne pleaded guilty in 1995 to kidnapping and murdering 13-year-old Heather Dawn Church in Colorado in 1991. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.<br><br>On Thursday, he pleaded guilty to murdering a 15-year-old girl in 1987.<br><br>The sheriff's department said Browne has given investigators information on other slayings across the country.<br><br>Browne said he dismembered one victim in a motel room bathtub so he would not be seen carrying the body from the room, then put the parts in a suitcase and dumped it beside a road, Hess said.<br><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/27/colorado.killer.ap/index.html">link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Umm...South Korea? <br><br><br>I find little on this guy. Oh...there is the little tidbit that the guy who caught him went on to be a very big advocate for the "Ramseys didn't do it" theory in the Jon Benet murder.<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>In mid March, retired detective Lou Smit outlined previously undisclosed evidence that led him to believe that John and Patsy Ramsey were not responsible for their daughter's death. "I believe there's evidence of an intruder, and I believe people should still be looking for him," Smit said. "There's a dangerous guy out there."<br><br>According to Smit, that evidence included:<br><br> * A metal baseball bat found outside the Ramseys' Boulder home. Fibers on the bat matched a carpet found in the basement near the storage room, where JonBenet's body was found. The bat was found, "in a place where kids normally wouldn't play," Smit said, declining to elaborate.<br> * DNA evidence that indicates JonBenet's attacker was a male but the DNA does not match John Ramsey.<br> * Peanut-shaped foam packing material and leaves found in the basement that Smit thinks might have been tracked inside by someone entering through a broken basement window. "It would have been something that would not have been blown in there," Smit said. <br><br>Smit is not only an experienced detective but has been credited for having solved one of Colorado's most baffling crimes, the murder of 13-year-old Heather Dawn Church in her Black Forest home in 1991. Smit was asked to come out of retirement to take over the case. Heather Church had vanished from home one evening while her mother and two brothers attended a Scout meeting. Two years later, her skeletal remains were found miles away in a ravine west of Colorado Springs. With the trail truly cold, but still prominent in the public's mind, newly elected El Paso County Sheriff John Anderson asked Smit to head the investigation in 1995. Smit agreed and examined all of the evidence focusing his attention on a set of unidentified fingerprints found in the Church home and directed his detectives to begin sending the prints to every state and local law enforcement office in the country.<br><br>After contacting 92 different jurisdictions, a Louisiana police department matched the prints to Robert Charles Browne, a paroled thief who had moved to Colorado and was still living a half mile from the Church home three years after the killing. Browne later confessed that he had killed Heather with a blow to the head when she discovered him burglarizing the home. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/famous/ramsey/theory_8.html">link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Speaking of Colorado Springs...they are having a difficult time with a variety of unsolved murders there. Including one of a mother and two kids. I wonder if Browne confessed to that one, because...ya see, the soldier...who had committed THE EXACT SAME SORT OF CRIME in North Carolina turned out could NOT have done it. Why? See, he was in....<br><br>Korea:<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>Two decades ago, Detrick Sturm stumbled into the arms of a killer. The 12-year-old boy had just arrived at his Colorado Springs home. It's likely he called out for his mother, Cassandra Rundle.<br><br>But she couldn't answer.<br><br>An attacker had bound the 37-year-old woman with tape and tightened an electrical cord around her neck. The attacker might also have raped her.<br><br>Rundle's daughter, Melanie Sturm, 10, hid in another room as her mother drew her last breath. But the murderer found her too, taking her life.<br><br>According to a leading police theory, Detrick arrived at his family's small house at 412 La Clede Ave., during the bloodbath. He never survived to tell anyone what happened on Valentine's Day, 1985.<br><br>The slayings sent chills across Colorado Springs and the nation as police scoured the Rundle home and surrounding neighborhood for days, gathering hundreds of pieces of evidence and statements.<br><br>But days turned to weeks, weeks to months, months to years and years to decades. Exactly what happened to Rundle and her children is still a mystery. There are possible suspects, detectives say, but no arrests have been made.<br><br>-----------snip------------<br><br>Rundle has also faced hurdles in getting detectives to follow up on his family's case.<br><br>He identified a possible suspect -- Phillip E. Wilkinson, 37, a former Fort Carson soldier who is now sitting on death row for the 1992 murder of a mother and her two children in Fayetteville, N.C. That case has eerie similarities to the Valentine's Day murders.<br><br>Rundle felt so strongly that Wilkinson might have been responsible for the murder of his family that he attended the man's trial in 1994. Yet police haven't pursued the lead, he said. Police told him that Wilkinson couldn't be responsible.<br><br>"They said he was in Korea at the time, but I have information to the contrary," Rundle said.<br><br>Detective Richard Gysin identified Wilkinson as a "person of interest," along with several unnamed people. However, Colorado Springs investigators have not interviewed Wilkinson. (as of March 2005)<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://csindy.com/csindy/2005-03-24/cover.html">link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Very little info on the web about these cases so far, though I haven't searched carefully. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: Robert Browne...serial killer?

Postby Dreams End » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:55 pm

Need to stop reading McGowan.<br><br>so obviously Browne didn't do the following crimes..but here's a murder of another two families. The second one is of particular interest:<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>The string of recent crimes in the surrounding area began July 11, when hikers found Seattle librarian Mary Cooper, 56, and her daughter, Susanna Stodden, 27, shot to death about three miles up a popular Mount Pilchuck trail, 50 miles northeast of the city. No arrests have been made, and detectives have revealed little about their investigation.<br><br>Then, on July 17, fire investigators in the eastern suburb of Kirkland found the family of <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>National Guard Sgt. Leonid Milkin</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> dead in a burned-out home. His 3-year old son's throat was slit. Investigators determined gasoline had been used to start the fire.<br><br>Witness accounts led them to a next-door neighbor, who was charged Monday with four counts of aggravated first-degree murder. Charging papers said the neighbor, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Conner Michael Schierman, 24, admitted that he woke up in the victims' home covered in blood following an alcoholic blackout and didn't remember what had happened.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/27/seattlekillings.ap.ap/index.html">link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>For those not familiar with McGowan, his thesis is that many "serial killers" actually have specific targets they are sent out to kill and then allowed to "practice their craft" for awhile to make it appear random (shades of Silence of the Lamb). The BTK killings for example...the first person killed was an Air Force officer...and his family...he was the only male killed and BTK's confession was a bit odd. <br><br>Anyway, this business of blacking out and killing people is pretty common I'm finding. why just look here at this famous case that is so famous I can't find a whole lot about it:<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br> That defense was used in the notorious 1989 Issaquah slayings of television personality Larry Sturholm and Debra Sweiger by Bill Pawlyk, who until that July day was a member of society's elite: chairman of the Tri-Cities Enterprise Association and being considered for promotion to admiral in the U.S. Navy Reserves.<br><br>That day Pawlyk taped knives to his socks, stabbed Sturholm a dozen times, showered, waited for Sweiger, fought with her for nearly 30 minutes, then slashed his own throat and wrists, filled a tub with warm water and crawled in, expecting to die.<br><br>He didn't, and the insanity defense didn't work. In the Washington State Penitentiary years later, Pawlyk said "I still don't understand it. ... I don't know why I did what I did.<br><br>"I don't know why I became a monster that day. I don't know why I'm alive when Larry and Debbie are dead."<br><br>The "diminished capacity" defense hinges on whether the person had the mental ability to form the intent to commit the crime.<br><br>Using alcohol as a defense varies from state to state. In Washington, there is no prohibition against attempting to use either alcoholism or an alcoholic blackout as a defense.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13996263/">link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>He stabbed them both over 100 times. Now, this guy isn't a serial killer as far as I know, but he was fairly prominent...<br><br>Just some random finds on Google...starting at today's CNN <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:49 pm

Lotsa stuff on CNN about killers today; it's the new black for some reason.<br><br>As far as Serial Killers being 'employed', there's one or two extremely odd cases I know about(odder than the usual), and both come from California:<br><br>Herbert Mullen and the Sacramento Vampire Killer.<br><br>Come to think of it, there's alotta freaky serials that have come out of Cali..<br><br>Anyways, feel free to look into those two individuals. I don't want to discuss it freely here for want of upsetting anyone, but the Sacramento guy, Richard Trenton Chase, had some beliefs that would have put a schitzophrenic to shame. Do a google for 'soap dish poisening' and you'll see what I mean.<br><br>Very odd fucker, that one was..Mullen wasn't much better. These guys were mentally skewered in a way that just seems impossible to be manufactured on the street.<br><br>And then there's good old Mr Brilliant himself, The Zodiac.. <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sepka » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:38 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>As far as Serial Killers being 'employed', there's one or two extremely odd cases I know about(odder than the usual), and both come from California:<br><br>Herbert Mullen and the Sacramento Vampire Killer.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><br>There's a repository of art by serial killers at<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.francesfarmersrevenge.com/stuff/serialkillers/art.htm">www.francesfarmersrevenge.com/stuff/serialkillers/art.htm</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->. It includes some paintings and a rather odd drawing by Herbert Mullen.<br><br>-Sepka the Space Weasel <p></p><i></i>
Sepka

Re: McGowan

Postby monkeymcgee » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:16 am

McGowan also argues that "serial killers" are often invented to wrap up several unrelated killings so they aren't investigated thoroughly and to obscure the nature of some of the included murders. <p></p><i></i>
monkeymcgee

Return to Justice