Bloody vegetables

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bloody vegetables

Postby alice » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:35 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/italy/story/0,,1871951,00.html">www.guardian.co.uk/italy/...51,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Polish workers feared killed on Italian farms <br><br>John Hooper in Rome<br>Thursday September 14, 2006<br>The Guardian <br><br><br>More than a hundred Poles, lured to Italy by the promise of work, have disappeared there, according to the website of the Polish police. It is feared some were murdered while working like slave labourers in the tomato fields of Puglia.<br>Half of the missing are believed to have taken jobs on tomato farms around the city of Foggia in Puglia, which employ up to 7,000 workers at a time.<br><br>In July Italian and Polish police seized 25 people after an inquiry revealed that thousands of Poles had been hired to work on farms that had been described by the chief organised crime prosecutor of Italy as "out and out concentration camps".<br><br>The police said workers were fed on not much more than bread and water, forced to work for up to 15 hours a day, paid very little and beaten by the guards.<br>The inquiry reportedly also uncovered evidence of murder. The Italian daily La Repubblica said police had heard a farm guard tell his girlfriend that two of his charges had escaped. "I'll not allow them to behave like that," he was quoted as saying. "I've said that today I'll kill one or two as an example."<br><br>The paper said police in Puglia, in Italy's "heel", were looking into the deaths of 14 Poles and a Lithuanian, who could have been murdered. Some were burnt to death, others were drowned or run over.<br><br>The Polish website Policja.pl is carrying the names of 123 people who have vanished over the past six years after saying they were going to Italy to work.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
alice

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Justice