Implanted memory chip for soldiers?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Implanted memory chip for soldiers?

Postby chillin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:20 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17013218-13762,00.html">www.news.com.au/story/0,1...62,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>Super-soldiers may get brain-chip<br>From:<br><br>October 24, 2005<br> <br><br>US military experts are attempting to create an army of super-human soldiers who will be more intelligent and deadly thanks to a microchip implanted in their brains.<br>Scientists believe the implant will vastly improve the memory of troops so that they can recall every detail of their training and become more effective fighters.<br><br>Researchers at the University of Southern California's bio-engineering department have created the chip, which acts in exactly the same way as the hippocampus - the part of the brain that deals with memory.<br><br>In experiments, the team removed that section of the brain of dead rats and inserted the chip in its place. The implant sent exactly the same electronic signals as the real thing.<br><br>The next stage of the project is to test the implant on live animals. If this work proves to be as successful, experiments could one day be carried out on soldiers.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
chillin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Implanted memory chip for soldiers?

Postby israelirealities » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:36 am

thanks for the link,. i am collecting a little archive for those things. I have little doubt that the first human tests will be conducted in Israel on Israeli lab rats, if not already. <br>Does anyone know what DARPA is ? <br>I was trying to inquire how many grants are given to ISraeli academia by US military/Defense medical institutions...and there seems to be quite a sizable number of them. Same goes for dubious other research funders like the "Stanley Research Center", specializing in brain collections and Bio=psychiatry. <br> <p></p><i></i>
israelirealities

Re: darpa funding shift

Postby Gouda » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:18 pm

Here is what the NYT allows us to know about DARPA; extracts from a recent article:<br><br>New York Times, 02 April 2005<br><br>Pentagon Redirects Its Research Dollars<br><br>By JOHN MARKOFF <br><br>SAN FRANCISCO, April 1 - The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency at the Pentagon - which has long underwritten open-ended "blue sky" research by the nation's best computer scientists - is sharply cutting such spending at universities, researchers say, in favor of financing more classified work and narrowly defined projects that promise a more immediate payoff. <br><br>...<br><br>University researchers, usually reluctant to speak out, have started quietly challenging the agency's new approach. They assert that Darpa has shifted a lot more work in recent years to military contractors, adopted a focus on short-term projects while cutting support for basic research, classified formerly open projects as secret and placed new restrictions on sharing information.<br><br>...<br><br>This week, in responding to a query from the staff of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Darpa officials acknowledged for the first time a shift in focus. They revealed that within a relatively steady budget for computer science research that rose slightly from $546 million in 2001 to $583 million last year, the portion going to university researchers has fallen from $214 million to $123 million.<br><br>The agency cited a number of reasons for the decline: increased reliance on corporate research; a need for more classified projects since 9/11; Congress's decision to end controversial projects like Total Information Awareness because of privacy fears; and the shift of some basic research to advanced weapons systems development.<br><br>...<br><br>As a result of the new restrictions, a number of computer scientists said they had chosen not to work with Darpa any longer. Last year, the agency offered to support research by Leonard Kleinrock, a computer scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles who was one of the small group of researchers who developed the Arpanet, the 1960's predecessor to today's Internet. <br><br>Dr. Kleinrock said that he decided that he was not interested in the project when he learned that the agency was insisting that he employ only graduate assistants with American citizenship.<br><br>...<br><br>"The key is a focus on high-risk, high-payoff research," Jan Walker, a Darpa spokeswoman, stated in an e-mail message. Given the threat from terrorism and the demands on troops in Iraq, she wrote, Darpa is rightly devoting more attention to "quick reaction" projects that draw on the fruits of earlier science and technology to produce useful prototypes as soon as possible.<br><br>...<br><br>Still, a number of top scientists argue that the Pentagon's shift in priorities could not have come at a worse time. Most American companies have largely ended basic research and have begun to outsource product research and development extensively even as investments in Asia and Europe are rising quickly.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby marykmusic » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:00 pm

IR, many programs such as that with lab rats (or any animals used for questionable research) are at risk here in the US, because of the animal rights activists. Your description of your country as a police state, even more than here, helped me understand (and my deepest sympathy for a creative such as yourself working under such conditions!) why there are so many US military programs and DARPA contracts there. <br><br>I have a link here, about a huge new underground facility being built there for OUR soldiers: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.barrychamish.com/html/us_army_israel.html" target="top">www.barrychamish.com/html/us_army_israel.html</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> Can you tell us any more about this? I believe that the entire Southwest Asia region is about to be pushed into the long-awaited (and promoted) Armageddon, if enough voters don't wake up. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Postby AnnaLivia » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:36 pm

little bit sidetracking maybe, but<br><br>MaryK, can you explain for me why mr schlund can't have the neck implants removed? please forgive how ignorant this sounds, but just because they don't show up on xrays, isn't there any other way to find them?<br><br>i should ask martin, but you're around a lot more often.<br><br>as for soldiers becoming "humans re-engineered by human agency" , i know some people are actually looking forward to a time when we will add chips into our brains "to accelerate our computing powers", but surely the majority of soldiers and civilians alike would see the enormous potential for harm that makes that a pandora's box we dare not open? <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

hmmm

Postby Homeless Halo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:57 pm

Even more interesting is the notion that traditionally, black budget research is significantly ahead of where admitted "frontline" research (like DARPA) is. Which means its likely that they are "able" to do such now, and may have already done so. Food for thought.<br><br>Pandora's box is already open. We have no choice left to avoid this becoming commonplace. In fact, it is somewhat inevitable at this point. We should be adapting the length of our rights' laws to accomodate it while there is still a chance. You don't want the military to be the only ones who understand how this technology works, and they're going to, regardless of how dangerous it "can" be(is). Fortunately, in the private sector, such technology could easily have beneficial uses that are correllary to its destructive capabilities(like nuclear technology).<br><br>Too late. <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

massage to brain, come in....

Postby michael meiring » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:02 pm

I can see it now, microchip message to brain, come in, are you there, ''you will feel no fear in going into the line of fire to butcher and torture a few more iraqi's'' to bring in freedom and democracy parcels. ''over and out''.<br><br>microchip message to brain, ''you will now forget the torturing you just did'', and finally, ''feel no pain from your limb just blown off, just get back out there, its god's voice you are hearing''.<br><br>Such an obvious tool of manipualation open to abuse, still do these people have a long history of lying to us, or slieght of handing their real intentions? <p></p><i></i>
michael meiring

Re: darpa funding shift

Postby israelirealities » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:20 pm

Thank you Gouda. You can look up their website for their projects. This is the publicized stuff and its scary enough if you read closely.<br>I asked cause this name keeps popping up in Israel, as in M/C stuff. Only mention here in the press was this year of a Darpa contract in Israel , to develop an "artificial tongue" which purpose is to "feel" bioterror agents and alert with specificly identifying the poisonous agent. I don't think it is actually a tongue (probably one of those "clever" names) but who knows. Maybe this "boosted brain" soldier will have this tongue instead of her original one. there was a good piece on it in TomDispatch, I will try to bring the link. <p></p><i></i>
israelirealities

Re: massage to brain, come in....

Postby eric144 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:25 pm

It's such a quintessentially American idea. <br><br>Putting chips in the poor is cheaper than educating them. They're treated no better than uniformly dressed up programmable macrobots now anyway. <br><br>It's pure 'Brave New World', pure unadulterated evil. <p></p><i></i>
eric144

AnnaLivia,

Postby marykmusic » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:55 pm

...there are many types of implants. Some are small enough to be delivered via hypodermic needle. Imagine how difficult that would be to even find on an x-ray, much less remove it.<br><br>Early implants, though larger (remember the scene in "Total Recall" when Ahh-nold removed that tracking implant?), were sometimes made of materials designed to break down and poison the host if any attempt was made to remove.<br><br>And then there are etheric implants, which are not IN the physical body at all; indeed are not 3D themselves. That's a whole 'nuther thing. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Remote-Controlled Human: 'I Didn't Like that Sensation'

Postby eric144 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:38 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.livescience.com/technology/ap_051025_remote_control.html">www.livescience.com/techn...ntrol.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
eric144

Re: Remote-Controlled Human: 'I Didn't Like that Sensation'

Postby marykmusic » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:54 am

Kinda scary stuff, that click-on:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"This would be the most logical situation for a nonlethal weapon that presumably would make your opponent dizzy,'' he said via e-mail. "If you find just the right frequency, energy, duration of application, you would hope to find something that doesn't permanently injure someone but would allow you to make someone temporarily off-balance.''<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>The new Tazer? -- MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Return to Mind Control