harrassing phone calls?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

harrassing phone calls?

Postby Dreams End » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:57 am

Some of you have been following the story of my wife. She's back from the hospital and feeling better. However, I need some assistance if anyone understands the modern phone system. <br><br>My stepdaughter is receiving repeated phone calls both from "unknown" and from a phone number I'll list below. While I'm familiar with the evil of automated dialing telemarketing, which will keep calling till you answer...usually that's just like once a day. This is 8 calls yesterday.<br><br>The thing is, the phone number doesn't exist. In fact, the AREA code of the phone number doesn't even exist (found one reference to it as "reserved"). It could be that a cell phone carrier has this area code and it's not showing up on the internet yet. Calling it (yes, I did think of that THANKS) just gets a message that it's an "incorrect" number. They were stupid enough to call repeatedly so I have no issue publishing the number:<br><br>461-651-2610<br><br><br>A couple of months ago, my stepdaughter, in front of us, got a call. We only heard her say "you have the wrong number." Whoever it was, asked for "Sara" which is not her name. When she told him it was not her name, he said "Are you SURE?" and she said it was really creepy. She was very quiet for a bit.<br><br>Her cell phone had said Chicago, but I regret to say that I didn't write down that number.<br><br>This gets a little creepier given that my wife had an alter appear for the first time a few months ago that we'd been calling "silence" but who, ultimately, turned out to want to be called "Sara". And that name, in fact, is the name my wife's mom had been planning to name her.<br><br>Anyway, I would like anything and everything anyone can find on this area code of 461. She has so far never answered these calls as they happen while she's at school. It could be a matter of a company trying to fax or something, but the calls are pretty spread throughout the day. And, of course, they are from a phone number that doesn't exist.<br><br>Oh, so, help on the area code and also help with this: is it possible to program a cell phone or something to give a fake phone number? I know you can block the info, but I don't think it should be possible to get a fake number that records on caller ID.<br><br>Please....if anyone has any suggestions about how to research this, let me know. It may be nothing (my stepdaughter is always, and without permission, ordering stupid stuff for her phone...ring tones, and such. This could be related to that bad habit.) but if she's also involved in all this, it's time to kick this up a little and start to disclose to my wife's therapist that something is going on. I can't do that till I have some evidence. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: harrassing phone calls?

Postby NewKid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:38 pm

Dude that sounds weird as shit. I'm afraid I'm not a phone expert at all, although I do know it's possible to send a fake number to caller id. The time I heard about it happening involved real techno geeks with sophisticated equipment, but that was awhile back. Maybe it's easier to do now. That a number doesn't come up as existing isn't surprising at all, given that cell phones to my knowledge aren't covered by 411 or the phone book; that an area code doesn't seems pretty odd. I assume you called the phone company and asked them for possible explanations and got nothing? <p></p><i></i>
NewKid

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Dreams End » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:43 pm

Okay, we aren't the only ones this is happening to. Found this:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>19357. AC 461 Hang up calls<br>by MrNiceGuy65, 2/25/06 21:58 ET<br>Area Code 461 Any one getting hang up calls from this Area Code. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I think this is a New Orleans board...I'm in a huge rush. What makes me not so happy is this "crazy" response:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>a sleeper agent for the Iranian Government. Stand by while I bring up his Muslim name. He "mabey" a cleric.461 461 461 461 Wait, wait, here it is.His number is 205 below the shrub and his name is is not to be uttered in public but his nick name is BAC-ALLI IBRAHIM YDIOTDELETERMDELIRIUM JOCK. {MASSOUI JOCKAZZ FOR SHORT.)1 2 3 4 5 DELETE. YEP THE CAPITAL 1 HAS STRUCK 3X NOW<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nola.com/forums/jefftownhall/index.ssf?artid=48295">www.nola.com/forums/jefft...rtid=48295</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>What the fuck? <br><br>I'll pursue this later. Number one theory so far is that telemarketers are using some very obscure foreign (outside US, I mean) location. And the above response to this other guy with this issue is just the craziness it looks to be.<br><br>But please...keep looking. I have to work till fairly late tonight. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:59 pm

Hmmmm...<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.beahacker.com/cell/cellular.htm">www.beahacker.com/cell/cellular.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Aaaack!<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.spoofcard.com/?gclid=CNXVz4fd3oMCFS02JAodnhRk2A">www.spoofcard.com/?gclid=...JAodnhRk2A</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>SPOOFCARD FEATURES: <br><br>Caller ID Spoofing<br>Voice Changer<br>Call Recording<br>Web Control Panel<br><br>SpoofCard calling cards offers you the ability to change what someone sees on their caller ID display when they receive a phone call.<br><br>Key Benefits: Make calls truly private, Ability to record calls, Change your voice, Fun and inexpensive, Easy to use and fast to set up! Instant Access! <br><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 3/14/06 10:22 am<br></i>
chiggerbit

461 is an invalid area code

Postby Asta » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:29 pm

I use www.melissadata.com to reverse search phone numbers. When I ran the number you posted, I got "Invalid area code." <br><br>I think Chiggerbit is hot on the trail as to what is really going on.<br><br>Thom Hartmann discussed the spoof cards last week. A person can really wreak havoc with such a calling card feature. The opportunities for mischief are unlimited, particularly if you have a personal vendetta against someone. <p></p><i></i>
Asta

Re: 461 is an invalid area code

Postby Dreams End » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:15 pm

okay, my tutoring student didn't show so I had some time to do some checking. I think the spoof card must be the answer.<br><br>461 does not exist. I even went to the website of the folks who are in charge of assigning the area code numbers and it specifically says "reserved" but "not assigned". <br><br>From what I understand, you can use the card, call the number and enter any number you want to have show up on caller ID. So, this suggests that they are entering that particular number for a reason.<br><br>secondly, the card allows you to have voice disguise. I think she actually said the last phone call, the "sara" call, sounded a bit like that sort of thing.<br><br>I'm not happy about this. The initial 3 numbers, 461, do happen to be the same digits as the columbus area code. Cincinnati is the area my wife grew up in and right between the two is Wright Patterson AFB, which I'd actually been making some inquiries about. <br><br>Now, that said, it is still possible that, though illegal, some telemarketers are simply using the spoof card to get through. But why are they so anxious...why the repeated calls. and the other half of the calls were simply "unknown name". And no message, either.<br><br>I will get her cell phone tomorrow and just keep it with me. So if they do call, we can have a little chat.<br><br>I think I can rule out her friends playing a prank...there'd be a message and they'd have to have access to this card.<br><br>I've also got an email into the spoof card folks (which I doubt will get answered) just clarifying if I understand how it works. If this continues we will have to get her number changed...<br><br>Looking further, it can also be done with Voice over IP. And, debt collectors are big users of this. We did get a debt collection call the other day. I called to follow up and the person they were looking for was not us, obviously. So, this could be assholes...but not the type I'm worried about. <br><br>Still...why continue to call and leave no message but keep leaving the same phone number? I'd think a prankster would leave an amusing number. I even grabbed the letters that correspond to those numbers but there are so many "1's" that you can't possible even spell any words. (the number 1 has no corresponding letters on US phones)<br><br>Possibilities:<br><br>1. Very misguided telemarketer <br>2. Prankster (but with some cash...it's not cheap. or else pretty decent hacker skills and none of her friends have this)<br>3. Bad guys trying to either get to her or make me paranoid.<br><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dreamsend@rigorousintuition>Dreams End</A> at: 3/14/06 11:32 am<br></i>
Dreams End

Postby thoughtographer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:20 pm

It's listed <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://5star-telemarketing.com/telephone-area-code-directory.html">here</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> as a California area code -- probably a split/expansion code. <p></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

Postby Dreams End » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:39 pm

I don't know how to interpret that. It says "effective N/A" which suggests to me that it still isn't active but is "reserved" as it is listed on the NANPA site:<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.nanpa.com/index.html" target="top">www.nanpa.com/index.html</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Maybe they don't update their site but even the site you linked to has the "N/A" next to the effective date. When you call the number, you simply get a "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect." 411 and directory assistance for my cell phone company both came up with "no such area code."<br><br>Question is, is someone able to tap into a reserved area code before it gets put into general use?<br><br>And why spoof that area code? It's not even clear what part of california it will be in once it goes into use.<br><br>Frustrating but thanks all for digging. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: harrassing phone calls? Brown Shirt tactics increasing.

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:47 pm

(on edit: Not meaning to sound so clinical and hijack your thread-. Glad to hear your wife feels better, DE. I better understood your previous posts when I read of your personal challenges with the topics here.)<br><br>Regardless of the technical details of the phone number area code and Dreams End' family, I think it is worth noting the context of an escalating info war using culture war as a carrier wave for Brown Shirt Culture.<br><br>Bill O'Reilly and David Horowitz are fomenting potentially violent hostilities against what Sen. Lindsey Graham recently declared was a threat to national security-<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>"Fifth Columnists."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Books like '100 People Who are Hurting America' or 'The 100 Most Dangerous Professors' seem meant to foment local violence and induce a chilled intelligentsia.<br><br>That prank card technology seems designed to stir up a trouble, the usual answer to people coming together against abusive power.<br><br>Using harassment tactics against articulate members of a discussion board could be part of a deliberate narrative in the 'mainstream media' to portray the internet as a dangerous neighborhood.<br><br>Judges are getting a big dose of chilling, too. Violence against their families and fomenting emotions over Terri Schiavo fit the pattern.<br><br>I posted a thread about what looks like a possible sabotage assassination attempt against Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor which was minimized in the papers and now almost completely scrubbed online. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 3/14/06 2:07 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby CyberChrist » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:20 pm

DE, go to <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="https://find.intelius.com">/find.intelius.com</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> and search by phone. $15 will tell you who the number belongs to and you can press charges or do whatever you please.<br><br>That being said, 461 is a California area code.<br><br>And yes, you can program a phone to give out any phone number you want. <p>--<br>CyberChrist<br>http://www.hackerjournal.org<br>My brain is hung like a horse.</p><i></i>
CyberChrist

Postby snowlion2 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Just fyi and to save DE the $15....I use intellius regularly for a variety of things...ran the number...and for the first time out of dozens, got:<br>*****<br>INSTANT PHONE SEARCH RESULTS - (461) 651-2610<br><br>Your transaction was CANCELLED and you have NOT been charged.<br>Only partial phone data was available for (461) 651-2610<br>***<br>So I think I concur with some of the above comments re: a likely spoofcard. <p></p><i></i>
snowlion2

Postby Dreams End » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:19 am

CC, have you every succesfully called that area code? Is it active now? Directory assistance can't find it.<br><br>Directory assistance has no record.<br><br>As for intellius, I don't think that this number can be traced, though that would also be true of all the internal lines within a big company with a big switchboard...like the number might be xxx-7000 but xxx-7023 only registers within the company or whatever.<br><br>For the record:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>NPA Code Search Information<br>Below are the search results for NPA: 461<br>General Information<br>Type of Code:         General Purpose Code <br>Is this code assignable:         Yes <br>If not, why:         <br>Geographic(G)<br>or non-geographic(N):         G <br>If non-geographic, usage:         <br>Is this code reserved for future use:         Yes <br>Is this code assigned:         No <br>Is this code in use:         N <br>Status:         <br>In service date:         <br>Planning Letter(s)<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br> <br><br>From the site of the people who assign these numbers.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nanpa.com/nas/public/npa_query_step2.do;nanpaid=GXTHyD9rq6GvSLhBZnkgnLQXkTk7m7YCq42xgLG8mZdtRGjjjQ0h!1967095356?method=displayNpa">www.nanpa.com/nas/public/...displayNpa</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dreamsend@rigorousintuition>Dreams End</A> at: 3/14/06 10:47 pm<br></i>
Dreams End

Postby CyberChrist » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Nevermind, 461 is not assigned to anyone as an area code. I had some bad information at first.<br><br> <p>--<br>CyberChrist<br>http://www.hackerjournal.org<br>My brain is hung like a horse.</p><i></i>
CyberChrist

Postby Dreams End » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:04 pm

When it IS assigned, it will be to California....and there are lots of CA connections in all this. However, I need to be objective...she DOES order lots of stupid stuff like ring tones and I'll bet that when she does that they get her phone number and then sell it to telemarketers. And using spoofing is illegal for telemarketers..but, after all, the ARE telemarketers. <br><br>So, maybe I'll get to answer one. The calls from "unknown" that she's answered are telemarketers from what she says. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby CyberChrist » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Incidentally,<br><br>461 = 11<br>651 = 12<br>2610 = 9<br><br>Kind of creepy that 9 and 11 are in there. And 12 is an important occult number.<br><br>I wouldn't think much of that though-- you can go crazy just thinking of how numbers add up and trying to find hidden meanings when there are none, but it's interesting.<br><br>Personally, I think it's either spoofed or an international number that was truncated by caller ID. <p>--<br>CyberChrist<br>http://www.hackerjournal.org<br>My brain is hung like a horse.</p><i></i>
CyberChrist

Next

Return to Mind Control