FYI - the Stanford Prison Experiment

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

FYI - the Stanford Prison Experiment

Postby anotherdrew » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:22 pm

here's something to know about.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>There were many more abuses, as each day the guards became more controlling and the prisoners more disturbed. Despite all of this, visitors to the study did not seem to see any serious problems with the experiment. One day the friends and family of the prisoners were invited to visit them. Though a few made small protests to the participants' treatment, no one insisted upon the end of the study. Later, a chaplain came to visit with each of the prisoners, and he also voiced no objections.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> -- <br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=443">from here</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>It seems we really need to teach empathy early some just don't seem to have any. <p></p><i></i>
anotherdrew

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: FYI - the Stanford Prison Experiment

Postby chiggerbit » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:11 pm

When I read this, I can't halp but think of Abu Ghuraib. Well, actually, there's even seems to be a small element of these dynamics playing out over the last six years between the polarized fractions of the population as a whole. Thanks for posting this. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby anotherdrew » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:02 pm

well, it's never been repeated as such, probably should be. It might be a real factor in US (and probably human) cultural/mental makeup - OR - it could also be a case used to induce the idea that people don't have much self control and need outside authorities to guide us in moral behavior day to day. This case comes up in most psyc101 text books, so it's well known by a large portion of the population, even if many forget about the details. The participants could have been subtly guided/pushed towards cruelty and the inmates passivity.<br><br>So I wonder, is it:<br>1. real scarry look at how people are not the rational moral actors we like to think of ourselves as being.<br><br>- or -<br><br>2. PsychoCultural mental hygiene programming intended to induce in the exposed population's thoughts, feelings and attitudes leading directly to people becoming exactly what the expiriment would have us fear we are.<br><br>===<br>Another well know psyc expiment of this sort was the Milgram experiment (Obedience to Authority Study). That's one I always sort of questioned as well. Yet, it _was_ recently repeated and worked just about as well as ever. You can watch it done if you can get to see Derren Brown's feature length show "The Heist"<br><br>Anyone having doubts about the real ability of secret mind-control programs to make Sirhan/Hinkley/Chapman killers needs to see this show. In it Brown picks from a larger pool 5 upstanding normal subjects who think they're attending "positive thinking/self-improvement" classes are actually primed to commit armed robery (with a fake gun) of a bank truck driver in London's City district. 4 of the 5 do it, as predicted. Seriously, everyone should see this. <p></p><i></i>
anotherdrew

Postby chiggerbit » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:21 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>...so it's well known by a large portion of the population</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Although I am familiar with these two experiments, I doubt that a large portion of the populations is.<br><br>I can't speak for the credibility of the accounts in the following link, but I think it illustrates what can happen, if it is in fact true.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/kaaawa/iblog/C177199123/E1794399476/index.html">homepage.mac.com/kaaawa/i...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 4/23/06 10:23 pm<br></i>
chiggerbit

Postby tigre63 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:35 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sta...experiment</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>############<br>Ethical concerns surrounding the famous experiment often draw comparisons to the Milgram experiment, which was conducted in 1963 at Yale University by Stanley Milgram, Zimbardo's former high school friend.<br>############<br><br>I wonder if they remained friends.<br><br>on edit> Here is Zimbardos site:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.zimbardo.com/zimbardo.html">www.zimbardo.com/zimbardo.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Check out his research <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tigre63>tigre63</A> at: 4/23/06 11:50 pm<br></i>
tigre63

Postby chiggerbit » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:38 am

Thanks, tigre!<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.prisonexp.org/edge/">www.prisonexp.org/edge/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>You Can't Be a Sweet Cucumber in a Vinegar Barrel:<br>A Talk with Philip Zimbardo in Edge, January 19, 2005<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"When you put that set of horrendous work conditions and external factors together, it creates an evil barrel," writes the eminent situationist psychologist Philip Zimbardo, known for his famous Stanford Prison Experiment in the early 70s. <br><br>"You could put virtually anybody in it and you're going to get this kind of evil behavior," he continued. "The Pentagon and the military say that the Abu Ghraib scandal is the result of a few bad apples in an otherwise good barrel. That's the dispositional analysis. The social psychologist in me, and the consensus among many of my colleagues in experimental social psychology, says that's the wrong analysis. It's not the bad apples, it's the bad barrels that corrupt good people. Understanding the abuses at this Iraqi prison starts with an analysis of both the situational and systematic forces operating on those soldiers working the night shift in that 'little shop of horrors." <br><br>About 30 years ago, Zimbardo and his colleagues began to do research on dehumanization. "What are the ways in which, instead of changing yourself and becoming the aggressor, it becomes easier to be hostile against other people by changing your psychological conception of them?" he asked. "You think of them as worthless animals. That's the killing power of stereotypes." <br><br>He connected that work with the work he had done during the Stanford prison experiment. "The question there was," he says, "what happens when you put good people in an evil place? We put good, ordinary college students in a very realistic, prison-like setting in the basement of the psychology department at Stanford. We dehumanized the prisoners, gave them numbers, and took away their identity. We also deindividuated the guards, calling them Mr. Correctional Officer, putting them in khaki uniforms, and giving them silver reflecting sunglasses like in the movie Cool Hand Luke. Essentially, we translated the anonymity of Lord of the Flies into a setting where we could observe exactly what happened from moment to moment." <br><br>He found in that experiment that it is "really a study of the competition between institutional power versus the individual will to resist. The companion piece is the study by Stanley Milgram, who was my classmate at James Monroe High School in the Bronx. (Again, it is interesting that we are two situationists who came from the same poor neighborhood.) His study investigated the power of an individual authority: Some guy in a white lab coat tells you to continue to shock another person even though he's screaming and yelling. That's one way that evil is created as blind obedience to authority. But more often than not, somebody doesn't have to tell you to do something. You're just in a setting where you look around and everyone else is doing it. Say you're a guard and you don't want to harm the prisoners—because at some level you know they're just college students—but the two other guards on your shift are doing terrible things. They provide social models for you to follow if you are going to be a team player."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

dvd

Postby blanc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:47 am

the film "Das experiment" (Oliver Hirschbiegel) is worth seeing - depicts similar experiment <p></p><i></i>
blanc

ya know...

Postby anotherdrew » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:05 pm

something just hit me about this the other day:<br><br> "they", the PTB, the usual suspects, the bushgang; what they've been doing since 2000 is basicly subjecting the entire nation to a slightly modified version of the stanford prison experiment. One difference is you get to pick if you'll be guard or inmate. Neither way is the right choice, but there is no hope that the 'guards' are going to ever wake up, they will have to be woken up.<br><br>Our whole country is being turned into "the prison"<br><br>! <p></p><i></i>
anotherdrew

Re: ya know...

Postby snowlion2 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:41 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own... I am not a number. I am a free man"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Who is Number One?"<br>"You are Number Six."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Every day I thank my lucky stars I don't write science fiction. It's all being written in the headlines...and you really can't make this stuff up fast enough. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=snowlion2>snowlion2</A> at: 4/28/06 4:43 pm<br></i>
snowlion2

Return to Mind Control