Most important video I've ever seen

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Most important video I've ever seen

Postby Dreams End » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:43 am

If this is real, this video should disturb all of us. <br><br>It's a mentalist mentioned in another thread, Derren Brown.<br><br>One theory I've had is that the big secret behind MC and hypnotic suggestion is how easy it is. this video proves it...using a video game no less.<br><br>If this wasn't faked (I don't know the performer so I don't know if it's accepted that this really happened) then a few flashes from a rigged video game and this guy is trapped in a nightmare. He's brought out in a way that apparently leaves him unscathed mentally but those who have looked into MC stuff will understand why this video seems so important to me. This ten minutes could have fucked this guy up for the rest of his life. Maybe it did. It was profoundly unethical, at the very least.<br><br>It's late and if anyone knows this video is likely b.s....then by all means let us know.<br><br>If not...Jeff...you have your next column.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjRAcajFte0&mode=related&search=">Derren Brown video</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>It's about ten minutes long. You'll get what's going on a couple minutes into it.<br><br>pan, I think you were the one to bring this guy up. Think this was real? <br><br>Put him with aliens and not zombies and you'll get the picture. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: Most important video I've ever seen

Postby Gouda » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:48 am

If that is not staged, that is a crime against humanity. Period. <br>Even if it is staged, the suggestion involved is sinister. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Blog: View Blog (0)

RE

Postby Quentin Quire » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:24 am

It's not staged. Derren Brown has been around on TV in the UK for a number of years now using NLP and other mentalism tricks on Channel 4. The vast majority aren't on this level, he uses willing people on the street and celebrities. Most of the tricks show how people are susceptible to outside psychological input and allow him to guess the outcome - like fake seances, russian roulette and asking a group of advertising execs to come up with an ad campaign which he then revealed to be exactly what he'd guessed hours earlier.<br><br>This is - as far as I'm aware - the only piece he's done with an unknowing subject. To me it's certainly unethical and crosses the line from entertainment into something less professional.<br><br>A friend of mine actually designed the art seen on the side of the games machine in the video. He's friends with Brown's props guy and Brown himself appeared in a short film he made - as a Dr Caligari style mentalist. From what he says Brown is a nice guy. I've never met himself so I can't comment but I've seen the majority of his work and this seems to be a anomaly. <p></p><i></i>
Quentin Quire

Postby NewKid » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:24 am

More here. "Powers of suggestion" and "the Magic Doll" are worth a watch. <br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/M/mindcontrol/video/" target="top">www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/M/mindcontrol/video/</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
NewKid

nice friends lol

Postby chillin » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:02 am

Notice the way the guys friends just go along with everything, no questions asked? It's gotta be fake. <p></p><i></i>
chillin

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:04 am

I have a hard time accepting this as 'real'. There's so many control variables that could have gone horribly wrong that I don't think the chance would have been taken with the staff's or the 'victim's life. There's no way of knowing, for example, if the guy wasn't carrying a knife, or even a straight razor, for defense, whether or not he was already metally ill, or even a serial killer.<br><br>So many things that could have gone horribly wrong.<br><br>I don't buy it. <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:06 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Notice the way the guys friends just go along with everything, no questions asked? It's gotta be fake.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Seriously; woman are natural empaths. That chick would have been on her feet screaming her head off at those people the second she saw her friend start freaking out. There's no way she would have just sat there and watched that amused. <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

The Heist

Postby trachys » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06 am

I don't know how to interpret it ... the target seems far too at ease upon waking, but that might be due to a rush of endorphins.<br><br>Brown is a master of suggestion. In "The Heist" he manipulates 3 of 4 targets into committing an armed robbery.<br><br>He may be a showman, but he explains the techniques he employs quite thoroughly, I think. <p></p><i></i>
trachys

Re: The Heist

Postby Dreams End » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:25 am

The thing about the friends doesn't bother me. All of his stunts involve getting people to do stuff willingly. I watched another where he asks a man for directions....then asks for his wallet, watch and cell phone which the guy gives. Brown walks off and finally the guy realizes what went on and goes to recover his property, which Brown willingly returns. Then, just as he's about to leave, he asks the guy for those items again and the guy gives them back. <br><br>The unknown variables like is the guy armed did make me wonder. He could have just started smashing people in the face. However, on the way to the location, he obviously gave the guy some hypnotic suggestions. So one of them could have been, 'You will only use the gun for defense'.<br><br>The importance was not the ethics of this. The importance was, if real, the idea that putting a few flashes in a video game could cause someone to fall into a trance...shall I say "dissociative" ?....state. And, as I said, replace the zombies with aliens. <br><br>Imagine being able to get access to the same person repeatedly.<br><br>Anyone know Brown's background? Where did he learn this stuff? <br>I reserve judgment about him personally...that wasn't really my point. I was more alarmed by seeing, in front of me, the kind of story that if someone experienced they MIGHT have been believed on this board and probably no place else. <br><br>Maybe he gave the guy a suggestion to believe all of it was just a dream...or not to remember it at all. <br><br>While this guy clearly will have seen what happened on TV. What if he didn't? What if he went to a therapist one day and said....you know, I have a weird fear of video games. <br><br>Oh, let's explore that.<br><br>Then out pop these memories of actually going into the game.<br><br>Then Elizabeth Loftus takes the stand. <br><br>Rinse and repeat.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Derren Brown

Postby Quentin Quire » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:04 pm

A brief bit of bio here --<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>His offical sites pop up on a google search. From what I recall he's been quite reticent regarding how his tricks are performed and how he learned the techniques. <p></p><i></i>
Quentin Quire

Re: RE

Postby Wolfmoon Lady » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:29 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>This is - as far as I'm aware - the only piece he's done with an unknowing subject. To me it's certainly unethical and crosses the line from entertainment into something less professional.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->Absolutely. I cannot believe his friends went along with it. The girl didn't look comfortable while watching her friend freak out - but she didn't do anything to stop it, either. Maybe I'm getting old, but that part really disturbed me. Yes, I am concerned about the abuses of light flashes on video games but I am far more concerned that human beings tolerate this sort of prank, and further, that they consider it entertaining. Horrible.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Wolfmoon Lady

faker

Postby existentialist » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:03 pm

Derren Brown admitted years ago that many of his stunts are faked, and not only that, they are edited and manipulated to make good TV. He's a good artist though. His characatures of famous UK celebs are excellent.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk/pictures/gallery/artwork/1">www.derrenbrown.co.uk/pic.../artwork/1</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
existentialist

Re: faker

Postby 4911 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:51 pm

staged. If that was my freind being traumatized, I would have torn the whole control-room apart. Flying monitors, knocked over tables, heavy yelling, extreme loathing. That is fucking cruel, if it were real, which it wadn.<br><br>People who consciously resist being hypnotized cant be, to my knowledge. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=4911>4911</A> at: 7/20/06 12:08 pm<br></i>

Re: faker

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:05 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>staged. If that was my freind being traumatized, I would have torn the whole control-room apart. Flying monitors, knocked over tables, heavy yelling, extreme anger. That is fucking cruel, if it were real, which it wadn.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Now we're talking. I mean, in all honesty, I would have had a clinical interest in about the first 15-30 seconds of it, but it would have ended after that because IF it was real, the proof of concept doesn't last much longer than that.<br><br>After that point, it's pure trauma. <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Re: The Heist

Postby havanagilla » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:13 pm

The level of cooperation of friends can be determined by how much they feel flattered by being chosen by a celeb, or money paid. People do awful things for celebs, especially if it will get them on TV. So, i can believe the friends cooperated because they trusted the celeb and his team (namely, "sold" their friend easily for some schmoozing and fame). PLus, yes, he probably controlled the guy's responses with hypnotism as well. And if he drew a knife, we'd probably not see the film, and there would be some out of court settlement for whoever got hurt.<br>--<br>I think this is how it is basically done with MC as well. ANd yes, its easy to do it, and the gist is buying the cooperation of bystanders and close people. In case of MC this is also achieved with the same psychology (important people, with money and authority, promising everyone that htings are under control, buying those who should protect the victim and paying for the whole show). Except its not entertainment but torture, for "important goals/programs" etc.<br><br>Very good find, DE. Thanks, and at least it helps me be more forgiving to myself. there is really no way to defend against this attack, if others don't protest. And, it also shows how clearly there is NO accountability for the victim, he is just a tool, a puppet.<br> <p></p><i></i>
havanagilla

Next

Return to Mind Control