Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Dag

Postby thumperton » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:05 pm

ah, american idioms. English isn't my first language. <p></p><i></i>
thumperton

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Zero Haven

Postby Dreams End » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:42 pm

Zero said this:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>NO WHERE did I even begin to imply that adults should take little kids to bed, never mind kill them.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>After he posted this:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But a child can also show love to another (possibly another child or an adult that a child loves and cares for) with sex.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I did not see one indication of irony in the original post or in his defense of that post. <br><br>As for your one allegedly "anti-racist" quote from your cite...I think the totality of your words speak for themselves. I'll grant that you aren't always consistent, but the quote you gave was far the minority among the quotes I saw. I quoted from a lot of your posts. I included the link, however, and people can judge for themselves. <br><br>I would say, be an adult and have the courage at least to stand by your convictions. If you think this of black people:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>People with lower grades and better income were getting in because they were - you guessed it - black.<br><br>They steal, they rape, they kill, they skip school, they sit on welfare, and then scream "oh we're so suppressed" and get special priveledges (sic) everywhere I look because they were too stupid to kill the slavedrivers over 200 years ago.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>that is by definition a racist position. <br><br>(By the way, when you are criticizing the intelligence of others as in the above quote...I'd run a spell check.) <br><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

leftwing vs. rightwing conspiracy theory

Postby starroute » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:35 am

robertdreed --<br><br>Perhaps we all need to swear off using collective nouns like "the left" and "the elite." That practice certainly seems to be responsible for a lot of the talking at cross-purposes that goes on here.<br><br>By "the elite," I don't mean "the total mass of rich people in this country, most of whom have no interest in anything but their golf handicap and their interior decorators." I mean that small number of individuals (and in some cases families) who are consciously dedicated to maintaining an environment favorable to themselves and to the perpetuation of their fortunes.<br><br>By "the 60's counterculture," I don't mean every pimply teenager who ever wore beads and tie-dye and dreamed of being a rock star. I mean the relative minority who were caught up in expressing new ideas, dreaming of social transformation, and creating serious art.<br><br>By "the left," I don't mean the legion of political correctness Nazis who plague our campuses and community forums. I mean the planners, the idealists, and the innovators, and especially the people who wonder why the dream of a better world that seemed just over the horizon back in the 1950's and early 60's first stayed forever out of reach and then evaporated so completely that even to mention it marks you as someone who might as well have newly awakened from 40 years in suspended animation.<br><br>I hope you won't put me down as a hopeless elitist myself if I admit that since I was 13 or so I have been convinced that at least 80% of the species is devoted to nothing more than maintaining the status quo -- the basic animal functions of survival, reproduction, and keeping the drains repaired -- and that it is at best 20% that spends any time whatsoever thinking about where we are all going and how things might be made better.<br><br>That 20% can be further subdivided into those who want to make things better for all of us and those who merely want to make things better for themselves. And it's that particular division that left-wing conspiracy theory is really about, not some hopelessly retro Marxist conception of class warfare.<br> <p></p><i></i>
starroute

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: leftwing vs. rightwing conspiracy theory

Postby Dreams End » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:50 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>80% of the species is devoted to nothing more than maintaining the status quo<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>You had a typo there, I think. I think you meant:<br><br>80% of the species is devoted to nothing more than trying to survive and provide for their families. <br><br>Spellcheck probably didn't catch it.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: leftwing vs. rightwing conspiracy theory

Postby sunny » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:44 pm

starroute, you said:<br>By "the elite," I don't mean "the total mass of rich people in this country, most of whom have no interest in anything but their golf handicap and their interior decorators." I mean that small number of individuals (and in some cases families) who are consciously dedicated to maintaining an environment favorable to themselves and to the perpetuation of their fortunes.<br>FDR called them "economic royallists" and I think it perfectly captures the essence of what we are dealing with here. RDR likes to go on about people bashing capitalism, which I think is sort of ok in theory, as I do communism, but the theories are never put into perfect practice- with economic royallists we have capitalists gone wild, exploiting workers, the environment, and the system to everyones detriment; including, eventually, their own.<br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to Fascism