Why the BNP might thrive

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Why the BNP might thrive

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu May 04, 2006 9:38 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>There are council elections in Britain tonight. Reports say the BNP have picked up 10 seats so far to add to their 20.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Why the BNP might thrive</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>May 4, 2006 03:42 PM<br><br>If the BNP manages to increase its share of councillors, as expected, by the end of today's voting, three possible explanations can be explored.<br><br>1 It is a protest vote against Labour. Margaret Hodge thinks so, as do others.<br><br>2 It is a protest vote against the Tories. The Sun thinks so. In Barking the BNP has become the official opposition.<br><br>3 People have become more racist. Why the sharp intake of breath? More than one national journalist has privately said that to imply this has become taboo. The BNP might be trying to change its spots but it is openly racist and has repeatedly proven to be so.<br><br>The common explanation that an increasing number of people are voting for a racist party because no one else represents their viewpoint is lazy thinking. Rather like saying: "I support these mad religious fanatics because no one else represents my view." I wonder if the Daily Mail will ever support that viewpoint.<br><br>Rightwing newspapers constantly feed us the same narrative: poor, white English people are being oppressed by foreigner asylum seekers or immigrants. Meanwhile, they vilify the BNP to play up their anti-racist credentials.<br><br>But to believe such stories have no impact on general race relations is being patently naive.<br><br>...<br><br>The BNP will be ecstatic. It does its best to constantly paint all ethnic minorities as murdering criminals, now some newspapers are helping it out. Would it be a surprise if more Britons look at their non-white fellow citizens with unease and wonder how many are foreign criminals?<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/sunny_hundal/2006/05/are_people_just_becoming_more.html">guardian.co.uk</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Why the BNP might thrive

Postby HMKGrey » Fri May 05, 2006 1:11 am

The way England is changing is very interesting to me. Partly as an ex-pat but also as a curious person in general. I'm not surprised that the BNP is making strides. They were making huge strides in the mid to late 80's and while the economic situation isn't particularly similar now, there are other factors that probably play to them - though I don't think they're necessarily hugely sinister so much as reflective of a pretty simple society (at blue collar levels) grappling with it's own sense of identity. FWIW...<br><br>Up until 1996 the red and white cross of St George flag had been almost completely appropriated by the racist right wing as their own symbol. You could pretty much be arrested for wearing it openly and prominently on clothing or carrying it as a flag. That's how bad it had become. It was an actual symbol of racist thinking. Then came Euro 96 - the European Nations Football Tournament - which was held in England, the first major soccer tournament to be held in the UK since the 1966 World Cup. <br><br>Realising that the home nation had effectively surrendered its flag and that the Union Jack would be the wrong flag to represent the tournament - particularly as England would play Scotland in the opening stages of teh tournament, the English Football Association, aided by the press, lead a succesful campaign to rehabilitate the cross of St George and make it once again a respectable banner that represented England in isolation from its counterparts in the British Isles. <br><br>England performed well in the tournament - eventually losing heroically in a semi-final to Germany in a penalty shoot out. [Cue headlines: We didn't win the war on penalties!]<br><br>Significantly, of the tens of thousands of fans that attended games a huge percentage arrived wearing, carrying and painted in the red and white flag. My father who'd been watching England teams for 50 years told me he'd never seen anything like it. Further, the crowds were massively multi-cultural. Every age, every race... In June 1996, the whole country seemed to celebrate itself. <br><br>This, combined with the heroics of individual players, created an immense feel-good factor in England and could probably be said to have kicked off Brit pop and much of the 'Cool Britannia' fever that soon followed. I've read in more than one of the broadsheets of the time how Euro 96, together with the reclamation of the flag <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>gave England its self respect back</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. <br><br>In some ways, I think this was the mass consumer high that was all but inevitable at the end of the rave era (1988-1993) which had broken down many class and race barriers. By 1993 domestic football violence was all but gone, black music dominated the charts (and would do so for most of the next decade) and London had returned to something approaching the swinging, muticultural metropolis that it is routinely described as. <br><br>So far so good. <br><br>For me the first hints that something was wrong came while watching Live 8. I noticed that the crowd shots from Hyde Park revealed an almost exclusively white audience. This was in total contrast to the London I remembered as being densely packed with what seemed like the essence of every country and large city on the planet. Of course, like any big city London tended to be compartmentalized even back in the 90's but what set London apart was that Londoners of all colors and persuasions always knew how to come together and celebrate or protest. As far as I know this has always been true and the rave scene had simply made it aregular and more intimate occurrence. <br><br>Then, it wasn't long until someone pointed out to me that the UK pop charts are now almost exclusively white. In fact, earlier this year the entire Top 20 singles and album charts were both 'white' for the first time in more than a decade. <br><br>I was in London a month ago and went drinking in the West End with a friend. We finished the night in a lounge in Goodge St and I noticed immediately that everyone in there was white. I asked my friends about this and he simply said that that's the way things have become now. Things used to mix up a lot but not any more. He didn't think it was racism so much as that after years of mixing people had simply reverted back to type. There had been a big old party for a while and now it was over and people had simply gone back to where they'd come from. <br><br>Physically and mentally, I guess he meant. <br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
HMKGrey

thriving BNP

Postby friend catcher » Fri May 05, 2006 6:16 am

Good post by HMK and I couldn't have said it better, it sometimes needs the expats eye to notice changes or even 'unchanges'.My experience of the West End and central London in general is of a recreation ground for whites and tourists whilst coloured people do the crappy work. A group of young black guys will attract disproportionate police attention in the centre so sticking to the defendable home turf of the housing estates has long been the safest policy.Having lived in London twice in the last 17 years but mercifully left for good, I would agree that what little intergration there was seems to have halted or at best slowed. Outright verbal and physical racism against blacks still exists but has to a degree been supplanted with hostility to immigrants and asylum seekers. The tabloid nasties feed their readerhip with endless tales of immigrants; criminal, lazy, economic sponges, excessively fertile etc. It is acceptable to criticise these groups, whilst avoiding the racist tag, under the guise of national economic welfare but the subtext is clear. I've yet to hear anyone moaning about the large amount of Australians and New Zealanders who overstay their visa.<br>The BNP are useful to the mainstream parties despite the fact that they are a tiny organisation with no chance of respectability. Few of their candidates are without a conviction for violent offences and it almost seems to be a requirement to be selected as a candidate. Strip the shiny new suits off these guys, stand them against a wall, naked, then count the swastika/ss tatoos and thats what they are. The mainstream simultaneously adapt/adopt their policies whilst decrying them as fanatics to encourage their own disenchanted voters. Triangulation? <p></p><i></i>
friend catcher

Return to Fascism