Texas petrochemical plant explodes, burns

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Texas petrochemical plant explodes, burns

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:07 am

Seen only the "breaking" banners on Houston news sites so far: <br><br>Crews are on the scene of an explosion and fire at the Amoco Chocolate Bayou plant in Alvin. There are no reports of injuries and no official shelter in place alert. Residents are being advised to stay inside as a precaution.<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.khou.com" target="top">www.khou.com /</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>The Brazoria County Sheriff's Department is investigating a fire at the Amoco Chocolate Bayou plant along FM 2004. Employees were evacuated; nearby residents are being asked to shelter in place.<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/" target="top">www.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/ </a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><br>On edit: I'd incorrectly assumed it was a refinery, but I'm <br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=1692870&mesg_id=1692907" target="top">told</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> it manufactures plastic: "A fire there could make lots of toxic smoke. One of the chemicals used in abundance, butadiene, is carcinogenic. That facility is over 2,400 acres in size and produces over 6 billion pounds of polypropylene and polyolefins each year. Huge." <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p097.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rigorousintuition>Rigorous Intuition</A> at: 8/10/05 11:21 pm<br></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another Texas refinery explodes, burns

Postby dbeach » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:17 am

Seems to be alot of that in TX<br><br>control oil in any way possible<br><br>snicker:<br>" I keep abusing people and they keep loving me.Thank god I'm a son of a bush." <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Postby Dreams End » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:04 am

Seems to be a lot of that for BP:<br><br>Note, KHOU is saying this current plant, not identified by name, is owned by BP. Trying to track that plant down but other BP plants have blowed up real good.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>July 29, 2005, 5:15PM<br>Federal investigators begin probe of latest BP explosion<br>2nd blast at BP this year frays Texas City's nerves<br>By DINA CAPPIELLO, PEGGY O'HARE and THAYER EVANS<br>Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle<br><br>Brett Coomer / Chronicle <br>Smoke and fire billow from the BP plant Thursday in Texas City.<br>TEXAS CITY - Federal investigators expect to be on the scene by midday today to begin a probe into Thursday's explosion at BP's Texas City plant, the second such incident this year.<br><br>Smoke and flames again erupted there early Thursday evening, shaking windows and testing nerves still raw from an explosion four months ago that ranked as one of the deadliest refinery accidents in U.S. history.<br><br>No injuries were reported in Thursday's blast, which occurred about 6 p.m. in a part of the sprawling 1,200-acre complex far removed from the unit that exploded in March. BP spokesman Neil Geary said there was no connection between the two incidents.<br><br>"It's nowhere near as bad as the one a few months ago," said lifelong Texas City resident Mike Martin, who stepped outside of his house to see smoke.<br><br>The company would not speculate about the cause of the explosion Thursday night.<br><br>The U.S. Chemical Safety & Hazard Investigation Board is sending a two-man team to study the damage. Investigators Giby Joseph and Francisco Altamirano, will meet with plant officials to get more details about the accident..<br><br>All fires stemming from the explosion Thursday evening at BP's Texas City plant were extinguished early this morning, and all employees are accounted for, officials said today.<br><br>Air monitoring in the area continues, but authorities said this morning no harmful substances have been detected as a result of the explosion, and a precautionary "shelter in place" request issued after the blast Thursday was lifted overnight.<br><br>Gloria Randle, who lives near 6th Avenue North and 9th Street South, said she was cleaning her fingernails and waiting for Wheel of Fortune to come on television when she heard the blast, which some residents said sounded like thunder.<br><br>"All of a sudden, I heard a boom. A real big boom," said Randle, a Texas City native who estimates she lives less than a mile from the BP plant. "I thought al-Qaida was here. I did, I'm not going to lie."<br><br>Her son Nathan Randle, who was working about five blocks away from the plant, said, "I was like, here it goes again."<br><br>Nearly two hours after the blast, the wind shifted, prompting BP and Texas City officials to recommend that residents living nearby remain indoors, close all windows and turn off air-conditioning units. That recommendation was lifted earlier this morning.<br><br>Although monitoring conducted by the company and the city's hazardous materials team detected no pollution past the company's fences, the company said there was a risk of hydrogen sulfide gas in the smoke and haze.<br>map<br><br>The gas, which smells of rotten eggs, can cause headaches, fatigue and eye irritation when people are exposed at low doses, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.<br><br>Don Thompson, regional director for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, said that from what he saw on television, pollution did not appear to be a problem.<br><br>"You have white steam," he said. "White steam means it's clean."<br>Despite the assurances, Ruby Luna, who lives less than a quarter mile from the facility, said she experienced symptoms from some kind of chemical.<br><br>"We've started getting real strong headaches, because of the smell," she said. "It's bad. It's gassy, and there are a lot of chemicals."<br><br>BP emergency response crews, assisted by the Texas City Fire Department, Chocolate Bayou Emergency Response Team and personnel from the nearby Valero and Marathon plants, said they had the fire contained to the unit and under control an hour after the blast. But it was still burning at 11 p.m., and BP officials said they expected the blaze to be snuffed by midnight.<br><br>Earlier in the night, Texas City Fire Chief Gerald Grimm said pipes containing fuel were rupturing and feeding the fire.<br><br>"We now believe we have additional fuel being provided to the fire," Grimm said.<br><br>BP reported that all of the plant's estimated 1800 workers had been accounted for.<br><br>"Whenever you have something happen at one of your facilities, you don't want to see it happen. It's something you feel bad about," said Hugh Depland, a BP spokesman.<br><br>The latest incident comes as BP faces scrutiny for its environmental and safety record. The company leads the nation in refinery deaths during the last 10 years, with 22 since 1995. In 2003 and 2004, its Texas City refinery — built in 1934 and the third largest in the U.S.— had more than 100 accidental releases of air pollution, the most of any facility in the Houston area.<br><br>The company's internal investigation into the March explosion, which killed 15 people and injured about 170, found that workers had made "surprising and deeply disturbing" mistakes during the startup of an octane-enhancing unit and that on numerous occasions the company failed to replace an antiquated piece of equipment that vented emissions into the atmosphere.<br><br>BP is still facing litigation brought by injured workers and families of the dead, which could cost the company as much as $700 million .<br><br>Ed Hartman, 66, who has lived in Texas City for 40 years, said he'd like to see the company improve its performance.<br><br>"There's something going on out there that they can't put their finger on," he said.<br><br>Lucy Sullivan, who lives about two miles from BP's complex, said, "If you live in the area, you just sort of take it in stride. ... If there's not a big flame, you just go about your business." She said she felt her dining room floor shake.<br><br>When fully operational, the Texas City plant processes 3 percent of the nation's crude oil supply. Each day its towers, tanks and pipes convert 460,000 barrels of oil.<br><br>The explosion occurred along a hydrogen line in a part of the refinery called the Resid Hydrotreating Unit, which removes sulfur from heavy crude oil.<br><br>The unit — one of 30 at the 1,200 acre site — was completed in 1984, after the refinery's previous owner, Amoco, conducted years of study into how to get the most oil out of a barrel. It processes 60,000 barrels of oil per day and allows BP to convert 75 percent of a barrel of oil into useful products, according to a 1992 article in the Chicago Tribune.<br><br>It's also responsible for a fair share of the company's profits. In 1991, according to the Tribune report, the Texas City refinery made $75 million with high sulfur crude, out of a company total of $1.4 billion in profits.<br><br>Earlier this year, the unit was shut down for 12 days of maintenance.<br><br>And according to a press release, PROGNOST Systems Inc. was recently hired by BP to install a system in the hydrotreating unit that would "provide early warning of mechanical problems or changes in performance."<br><br>It was unclear if these upgrades had any role in the explosion.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby Dreams End » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:07 am

From the KHOU site itself:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>BP to shut down units in wake of accidents<br><br>04:51 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 10, 2005<br><br>By TJ Aulds / The Daily News<br><br>TEXAS CITY — Officials with BP's Texas City oil refinery have announced that all high-pressure units at the Texas City oil refinery will be shut down in the wake of recent accidents at the complex.<br><br>KHOU-TV<br><br>A heavy oil and gas leak at BP's Cat Feed Hydro Unit led to the latest alert.<br><br>Colin Maclean, BP's manager in Texas City, said the units will not come back online until thorough inspections of each facility can be completed. BP said the unit shutdowns would not have a significant impact on production at its 1,200-acre refinery complex.<br><br>"As part of the complete top-to-bottom, continuous inspection and evaluation of the Texas City refinery, all high pressure units have been taken out of service and are undergoing a complete root and branch analysis from design through to current configuration," said Maclean. "They will not be returned to service until that process is completed and the units determined to be safe.”<br><br>The high pressure units are considered to be those facilities operating above 1,000 pounds per square inch of pressure.<br><br>The decision and process to shut down those units actually came prior to an overnight leak at the refinery, said BP spokesman Neil Geary.<br><br>Texas City was placed under a Level 3 shelter in place alert early Wednesday when heavy gas and oil leaked from the Gas Oil Hydrotreating Unit at BP. That unit is one of four that will be shutdown as part of BP’s decision. The others include the refinery’s Ultracracker, which had already been shutdown for a scheduled turnaround.<br><br>The Resid Hydrotreating Unit, site of a July 28 explosion and fire, and a smaller Hydrogen Recovery Unit will also be shut down.<br><br>Geary said no specific timeframe had been made as to when the individual units would come back online. A team of engineers and operational experts will be responsible for taking a look at each of the units he said.<br><br>The Wednesday morning alert marked the third Level 3 incident at the refinery this year. A series of March 23 explosions at the same refinery killed 15 people. A July 28 explosion prompted a Level 3 alert, but no injuries were reported.<br><br>This story is available through KHOU, Ch. 11's partnership with The Galveston County Daily News. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

re: Another Texas Refinery Explodes ...

Postby Starman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:00 am

Good News, Folks! Your ever-vigilant Environmental Safety Officer was assiduosly doing his duties and keeping us safe from poisonous chemicals by faithfully watching his television for News Reports, and can confidently tell us all that anything white is steam and perfectly safe, since its just basically hot water! Isn't that great? Apparently, there aren't any colorless poisonous chemicals in Texas, Home of the White Hats are Good, Black Hats are Bad -- Which is Good, because that's apparently about the extent of competant information-processing capability of people who watch and believe television news, at least in Texas:<br><br>Quote:<br>"Don Thompson, regional director for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, said that from what he saw on television, pollution did not appear to be a problem.<br><br>"You have white steam," he said. "White steam means it's clean."<br><br>Despite the assurances, Ruby Luna, who lives less than a quarter mile from the facility, said she experienced symptoms from some kind of chemical.<br><br>--Unquote--<br><br>Honest to K-Rist, the Feds under Bush 'leadership' must hire the absolutely dumbest, stupidist chemical-engineers to work on Environmental Protection services, their main job being to lull the public to sleep by soft-pedaling real hazards in order to protect Corporate profits and insulate them from liability. <br><br>This sounds an awful lot like when the EPA was strong-armed to assure the public that New York air from the burning WTC towers was 'within acceptable air-quality limits', when there's abundant evidence that it was the biggest toxic-waste contamination incident ever observed, severely damaging the health of hundreds if not thousands of New Yorkers and rescue/salvage personal. That SHOULD have resulted in an enormous class-action suit for criminal nagligence and misfeasance, if not outright indictment and impeachment of America's failed 'leadership'. -- Unfortunately, it's only a fairly benign representation of the kind of opportunistic 'Fuck-You!' morality of the Globalist Scum hiding behind the personae of the delegated faux-President War Criminal and his team of thuggish enablers.<br><br>Mismanagement leading to repeated safety-accidents at BP's Texas facilities (and elsewhere) and liability awards directly translates to higher energy costs which are passed-on to the real underwriters -- the American public, who also bear the 'extra' costs (never figured into 'free-market' accounting) of long-term health-risks and consequences that may take years to manifest.<br><br>The 'system' is so incredibly flawed and distorted to favor the politically-connected, moneyed-interests that it still amazes so many people can remain so blind to what is evident.<br><br>Well, at least it IS changing, slowly, and people are finding the truth of things thanks to the Internet Truth Revolution -- which is a major reason why the Globalists are worried and have plans to sanitize it.<br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
Starman

Return to Energy Issues