ASPO's Plan for Population Reduction

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: ..

Postby Dreams End » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:26 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Err, ever hear of the antiglobalisation movement? The anti WTO/WB/WEF demos & street battles in Seattle, Prague, Milan, Washington, Melbourne, etc etc? Global Exchange? the Third World Network? the Green Parties? Friends of the Earth? The italian social centre networks? This years G8 protests in Scotland? Demo's in Sydney against Forbes 500 meet only a few weeks ago? Many hippies, punks and anarchists have been calling for exactly that for decades, just because you've never bothered to get involved doesn't mean they don't exist.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Blush? You mean that ASPO and the Peak Oil theorists have been behind the anti-globalization movement? I am SOOO embarrassed. If I had known....this really puts things in a new light. I'm going to go read the ASPO web page right now! They don't LOOK like hippies, punks and anarchists...but let's see...<br><br><br>I see, at the very bottom, that revolutionary bon-vivant Matt Simmons, former energy advisor to Bush (talk about deep cover!) spoke at the 1st International Workshop on Oil Depletion, Uppsala, Sweden, May, 23-25, 2002. Here's what he had to say:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>“We need a wake up call. We need it desperately. We need basically a new form of energy. I don’t know that there is one.”<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Preach it! Hey, was he the guy dressed as the sea turtle at the last anti-globalization rally? Hmmm...what is he up to when not in turtle costume? Well, he certainly seems to be getting around with his peak oil message. Why he's featured in this revolutionary journal: Petroleum News. Viva Petroleum News! <br><br>Some snippets from this subversive pamphlet:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.petroleumnews.com/pnads/238338932.shtml">www.petroleumnews.com/pna...8932.shtml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Simmons knows whereof he speaks. He views the world oil supply picture from the vantage point of 30 years’ experience as founder of Simmons & Company International, Houston, which today is one of the world’s largest energy investment banking groups. Since opening the company’s first office in Houston back in 1974, Simmons and his group have guided a broad client base to complete more than 500 oil and gas investment banking projects with a combined dollar value of some $58 billion. The company now has additional offices in Boston, London and Aberdeen, Scotland.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Wow, being a revolutionary idealist sure is profitable!<br><br>I also note that Comrade Simmons was under deep cover for the revolution as an advisor to President Bush and is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, a collection of anti-capitalist revolutionary leaders from very important countries. "They are the guys who are always on stilts with the big paper machee masks."(<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/people/matt_simmons">www.globalpublicmedia.com...tt_simmons</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Back to the Petroleum News!<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Matt Simmons hopes he is wrong.<br><br>But if he’s right in his belief that Saudi Arabia’s giant oil fields might already have peaked and <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>could start into rapid decline in as few as three years, somebody better have a “Plan B” ready or there’s no way, he says — absolutely no way — to avoid a world energy cataclysm</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->.<br><br>(bold text added for the hyperbole impaired.)<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><br><br>Gulp! I guess I can forget about voting in '08 then. Dang it...just when I thought the Democrats had a chance.<br><br>The piece actually is a discussion of how the Saudis are running out of oil. He dared them to prove differently...and they didn't do it. Then he double dog dared them. Still no response. The piece has no suggestions as to how to handle the coming cataclysm (remember, wintler, my point is that these guys preach IMMINENT COLLAPSE...he said THREE YEARS) but he does call for "transparency", that is, these oil countries need to be freer with the data from their oil fields. <br><br>A second ago, it had occured to me that there might be OTHER reasons that a guy who "guided" 58 BILLION dollars in oil investments might make a call for more transparency from oil producing nations...but it slipped my mind. Let's see, invests in oil...calls to be able to look in their books whenever he wants...investments..transparency...Nope...it's gone. Maybe some other clever reader can come up with such an idea.<br><br>It must be a GREAT IDEA though, because, as I mentioned, the G7 supports it too. As you know, the G7 is a group that protests globalization . I guess there are 7 of them. (I think they added a member, actually.)Anyway, anytime they get together there are always thousands of protesters around, so they must be INCREDIBLE organizers. I wonder how I get on their mailing list? Better not...might attract the attention of THE MAN! Anyway, ASPO links to their statement that shows they, too, are catching the Peak Oil FIRE!!!<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Market transparency and data integrity is key to the smooth operation of markets. We welcomed concrete actions in improving data provision to oil markets and encouraged further work, including on oil reserves data, by relevant international organisations. The Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative can increase fiscal transparency and help improve the use to which oil revenues are put. We call on international institutions to work with oil producing countries to ensure a climate conducive to investment. We recognised the importance of raising medium-term energy supply, of energy efficiency, and of the importance of technology and innovation in ensuring energy security."<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.peakoil.net/G7Feb2005.html">www.peakoil.net/G7Feb2005.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Evidently, this ROUSING ovation was hard to hear over the deafening applause and repeated strains of "Solidarity Forever". <br><br>Hey, look at this!!! The ASPO has something called the Uppsalla protocol. Uppsala...oh yeah, where Matt Simmons spoke. Their idea is that each country will ...heck I'll print the whole thing:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br><br> 1. A convention of nations shall be called to consider the issue with a view to agreeing an Accord with the following objectives:<br>a. to avoid profiteering from shortage, such that oil prices may remain in reasonable relationship with production cost;<br>b. to allow poor countries to afford their imports;<br>c. to avoid destabilising financial flows arising from excessive oil prices;<br>d. to encourage consumers to avoid waste;<br>e. to stimulate the development of alternative energies. <br> <br>2.<br> Such an Accord shall having the following outline provisions:<br>a. No country shall produce oil at above its current Depletion Rate, such being defined as annual production as a percentage of the estimated amount left to produce;<br>b. Each importing country shall reduce its imports to match the current World Depletion Rate.<br> <br>3.<br> Detailed provisions shall be agreed with respect to the definition of categories of oil, exemptions and qualifications, and scientific procedures for the estimation of future discovery and production.<br> <br>4.The signatory countries shall cooperate in providing information on their reserves, allowing full technical audit, such that the Depletion Rate shall be accurately determined.<br> <br> <br>5.<br> Countries shall have the right to appeal their assessed Depletion Rate in the event of changed circumstances. <br><br> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.peakoil.net/uhdsg/UUprotocol.html">www.peakoil.net/uhdsg/UUprotocol.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br> First part sounds great. I hate when those oil companies exploit shortages for a profit. What else does this revolutionary document propose? That we nationalize all oil fields and insure distribution based on actual extraction costs? Nope. It suggests that a "depletion rate" be determined and that you keep cutting your imports AND EXPORTS by that depletion rate..currently 2.5% a year. <br><br>And, of course, just to make sure that no one is cheating...<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The signatory countries shall cooperate in providing information on their reserves, allowing full technical audit, such that the Depletion Rate shall be accurately determined.<br> <br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Hey, that's just what Matt Simmons wanted. And the G7 And he...spoke at this conference. You don't think that a guy who makes millions off the oil industry was one of the guys who thunk up this document do you? Surely they created this document with the needs of the people at large in mind and not of the needs of oil and gas investors?<br><br>In any case..he means business:<br><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I am convinced that a big push by various "interested parties" can force this new disclosure standard for all publicly traded companies and then <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>govt.s need to force the same standard on all national oil companies, including all OPEC producers</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/articles/114">www.globalpublicmedia.com/articles/114</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>WE SHALL OVERCO-O-OME! WE SHALL OVERCO-O-OME!<br><br>Comrade Colin Campbell is also preaching the revolution to the masses. According to the Wall Street Journal, Campbell, "affectionately referred to as Dr. Doom by his wife"<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>is receiving mainstream attention. In the past few months, he has spoken before a joint committee meeting of the British House of Commons and addressed about 200 J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. investors by conference call from Ballydehob. This month two officials from AB Volvo, the truck and engine maker, visited from Sweden. His theory, if right, would force vehicle makers to revamp their lineups.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>You can feel the masses stirring. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby wintler » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:01 am

i never claimed ASPO was an antiglobalisation mob, you fool, but don't let that get in the way of your torrent of textual diarrhea. <br><br>I give up DE, you win, ASPO IS a front for the reptile aliens come to depopulate the planet and i am merely their useful idiot. Thank god we have you here to (mis)represent the truth about absolutely everything, how did i ever think that decades of energy reserve research and data was worth more than the opinion of one anonymous guru who appears to live on this board. <br><br>Please share your wisdom with the peakoil.com board and the energyresources & runningonempty yahoo groups, where thousands toil in the darkness trying to solve problems that (you say) don't exist, not yet being enlightened by your insights. Oh free them, dear wise one. <p></p><i></i>
wintler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby human » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:06 am

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>I give up DE, you win, ASPO IS a front for the reptile aliens come to depopulate the planet and i am merely their useful idiot.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>see, now we are getting somewhere... <p></p><i></i>
human

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ..

Postby Dreams End » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:07 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>i never claimed ASPO was an antiglobalisation mob, you fool, but don't let that get in the way of your torrent of textual diarrhea.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I know that, you big silly. But when I asked "where are the calls to abolish corporations"...I was talking about AMONG PEAK OILERS. To assume I was unaware that such calls exist in the first place was so ridiculous I thought this the best way to respond. <br><br>It was also an attempt to point out to you exactly how UNREVOLUTIONARY those folks are...even the ones not pushing depop. <br><br>Transparency indeed...<br><br>Hippies, punks and anarchists...you're a riot, dude. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dreamsend@rigorousintuition>Dreams End</A> at: 9/22/05 10:13 pm<br></i>
Dreams End

Re: ASPO's Plan for Population Reduction

Postby Dreams End » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:00 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>In precisely Mills's sense, the conversion of a marvelous carrying capacity surplus into a competition-aggravating and crash-inflicting deficit was a matter of fate. No compact group of leaders ever decided knowingly to take incautious advantage of enlargment of the scope of applicability of Liebig's law, or subsequently to reduce that scope and leave a swollen load inadequately supported. No one decided deliberately to terminate the Age of Exuberance. No group of leaders conspired knowingly to turn us into detritovores. Using the ecological paradigm to think about human history, we can see instead that the <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>end of exuberance was the summary result of all our separate and innocent decisions</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> to have a baby, to trade a horse for a tractor, to avoid illness by getting vaccinated, to move from a farm to a city, to live in a heated home, to buy a family automobile and not depend on public transit, to specialize, exchange, and thereby prosper.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>From Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://dieoff.org/page15.htm">dieoff.org/page15.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Previous

Return to Energy Issues