BC Gas may go to shadowy Carlyle Group

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

BC Gas may go to shadowy Carlyle Group

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:53 am

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>BC Gas may go to shadowy Carlyle Group</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>June 8 to June 21, 2006, East Vancouver</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>A significant piece of news from the business world somehow slipped past our otherwise vigilant local media last week, news that you would think should cause the BC governing Liberals a gulp and a collar-loosening tug.<br><br>Just last year, the Liberals were defending the privatization and sale of BC Gas (whose name had been changed to Terasen to make it more marketable), to Texas-based Kinder Morgan Inc. Critics like NDP energy critic Corky Evans suggested the sale placed a critically-important resource in the hands of owners who may not have our best interests in mind. But they were dismissed, since Kinder Morgan was just another pipeline company, it was said. Also dismissed were complaints that, because of the USA Patriot Act’s application to US-based companies, more of our personal records were exposed to warrantless searches—just as the sale of the records-keeping offices of BC Med to Texas-based Maximus already exposes our medical records to Homeland Security scrutiny.<br><br>Now, the New York Times is reporting less than one year later that Kinder Morgan is the subject of a US $22 billion takeover bid by a consortium led by none other than the Carlyle Group. The CBC reported only that Carlyle was “also involved” and Bloomberg.com only mentioned that Carlyle is one of two “buyout firms” taking part. But the Carlyle Group international investment company is no junior partner in anything it does. Carlyle was named by The New York Times in 2002 as the biggest defence company in the US, and the largest private defence company in the world, based on its controlling share of ownership in a vast range of defense, intelligence, and communications companies. The Wall Street Journal simply calls it the biggest private investment firm on the planet, bar none.<br><br>...<br><br>If the deal Carlyle is trying to make to take over Kinder Morgan, as reported in The New York Times, goes through, then the cheque you write for your monthly gas bill will ultimately be going to these men at Carlyle. More importantly, whatever information is available about you through your gas bill will now in the hands of this shadowy but highly influential company, just as whatever information is available about you through your use of BC medical services is now in the hands of the equally shadowy Maximus.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.republic-news.org/archive/140-repub/140_kevin_potvin_carlyle.htm">www.republic-news.org</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: BC Gas may go to shadowy Carlyle Group

Postby dugoboy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:04 pm

good god why. not canada too... <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT." -Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Energy Issues