NSA Running Out Of Electrical Power

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

NSA Running Out Of Electrical Power

Postby heyjt » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:07 pm

What new Bush surveillance programs are causing the NSA to run out of electrical power?<br>Submitted by lambert on Sun, 2006-08-06 13:37.<br> <br>Baltimore Sun:<br><br>The NSA is Baltimore Gas & Electric’s largest customer, using as much electricity as the city of Annapolis, according to James Bamford, an intelligence expert and author of two comprehensive books on the agency.<br><br>Since the 2001 terrorist attacks, the NSA has ramped up its operations, and the electricity needed to sustain major projects — such as the warrantless surveillance program and technology modernization programs — has increased sharply.<br><br>The demand for electricity to operate its expanding intelligence systems has left the high-tech eavesdropping agency on the verge of exceeding its power supply, the lifeblood of its sprawling 350-acre Fort Meade headquarters, according to current and former intelligence officials. <br><br>Kinda makes you wonder what additional processing they’ve been doing since 2001, eh?<br><br>Bush’s illegal warrantless surveillance program started in 2001.<br><br>This is 2006. So the 2001 program isn’t what’s causing them to run out of power.<br><br>So what additional programs have they got now that need all that power?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.correntewire.com/what_new_bush_surveillance_programs_are_causing_the_nsa_to_run_out_of_electrical_power">www.correntewire.com/what...ical_power</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
heyjt

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NSA Running Out Of Electrical Power

Postby dranek7 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm prone to think that this is a deliberate piece of disinformation coming from administration outsiders. The NSA would like to convince everyone that they <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>cannot possibly</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> be listening to every form of communication. By making the NSA seem like a wilting flower, it lowers the public's vigilance... <p></p><i></i>
dranek7

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:37 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>By making the NSA seem like a wilting flower, it lowers the public's vigilance...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Or elevates it's paranoia. I can't help but think of the schemes highway troopers use when understaffed where they stick dummies in parked patrol cars on the side of the road. You can <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>collect</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> data on every single person on Earth, but someone still needs to <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>read</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> it, even if it's considerably filtered.<br><br>Back when I was younger I used to contemplate existing in an Orwellian society. I considered spying on civilians, and always stumped myself on how it could be executed without using almost as many numbers of the spy as the spied upon.<br><br>Maybe naive? Maybe not.. <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:31 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Back when I was younger I used to contemplate existing in an Orwellian society. I considered spying on civilians, and always stumped myself on how it could be executed without using almost as many numbers of the spy as the spied upon.<br><br>Maybe naive? Maybe not..<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>In Nimbin, a town down the road with a reputation for being Australia's Amsterdam, there are about 1000 people. probably more if you count everyone in the hills, maybe 5 or 6 thousand. But only 2000 would be in town regularly (I'm not for example).<br><br>There are between 400 and 500 registered informers on the police books. Apparantly.<br><br>Thats probably enough to gather intel on who grows what who brings what into town and who deals it on the street. And cover the entire town and everyone that does "business" there.<br><br>I found it hard to believe there were that many dogs at first, but a bit of digging did the trick, and sure enough its true.<br><br>The best intel will always come from informers, Arcadia you are right about the logistics of the police state.<br><br>but there are 2 factors.<br><br>A. Fear. That can get people talking.<br><br>B. One person can spy on more than one other person.<br><br><br>Throughout history secret police networks have been successful when they inspire fear and have enough unaccountable power (ie disappearing people, torture and the power to kill) to walk the talk so to speak.<br><br>That changes the logistics in favour of the spooks.<br><br>The spies have networks of informers and that is how the process of covering the population works.<br><br>Of course its not perfect... <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Return to Energy Issues