CEOs: Oil Price Spike and War Profiteers -- Report

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

CEOs: Oil Price Spike and War Profiteers -- Report

Postby StarmanSkye » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Talk about wealth disparity, now bigger than ever with shameless pilfering and 'legalized' extortion -- theft of the working class and lower/middle class taxpayers by any other name.<br><br>Only in America.<br>Go figger.<br><br>Starman<br>******<br><br>Subject: Oil & Defense CEO Pay Report Now Available Online - sent this morning to 1470 journalists <br><br>PRESS RELEASE FROM UNITED FOR A FAIR ECONOMY & INSTITUTE FOR POLICY STUDIES <br>Contact: Betsy Leondar-Wright, (617) 423-2148 x113, (781) 704-4039 (cell) <br>Embargoed to 12:01 am, Wednesday, August 30, 2006 <br><br>LABOR DAY "EXECUTIVE EXCESS" REPORT: <br><br>OIL & DEFENSE CEOS POCKET THE SPOILS <br><br>CEOs in the defense and oil industries have been able to translate war and rising oil prices into personal jackpots, according to a new report from the Institute for Policy Studies and United for a Fair Economy, "Executive Excess 2006." <br><br>OIL BARONS: With Americans now paying over $3 per gallon, petroleum profiteers are raking in nearly three times the pay of CEOs in comparably sized businesses. In 2005, the top 15 U.S. oil CEOs got a 50% raise since 2004. They now average $32.7 million, compared with $11.6 million for all CEOs of large U.S. firms. <br><br>Executive pay at U.S.-based oil companies also far outpaced pay at oil companies based outside the United States. BP and Royal Dutch Shell paid their CEOs only one-eighth what their U.S. counterparts collected just $5.6 and $4.1 million in 2005, respectively even though both companies operate in the same global marketplace as their U.S.-based competitors. <br><br>CEO William Greehey of Valero Energy took home the oil industry9s biggest executive pay rewards in 2005, pocketing $95.2 million. The average construction worker at an energy company would have to work 4,279 years to equal what Greehey collected last year. <br><br>DEFENSE CONTRACTORS: Since the 3War on Terror2 began, CEOs at the top 34 military contractors have enjoyed average paychecks that are double the compensation they received in the four years leading up to 9/11. <br><br>The new "Executive Excess" report surveys all publicly held U.S. corporations among the top 100 defense contractors that had at least 10 percent of revenues in defense. These 34 CEOs combined have pocketed almost a billion dollars since 9/11 enough to employ more than a million Iraqis for a year to rebuild their country. <br><br>In 2005, defense industry CEOs walked off with 44 times more pay than military generals with 20 years experience, and 308 times more than Army privates. <br><br>United Technologies CEO George David led the pack with over $200 million in pay since 9/11, despite investigations into the quality of the company9s Black Hawk helicopters. <br><br>CEO Jay Gellert of Health Net saw the biggest personal pay raise after 9/11, a 1,134% leap over the preceding four years. The company owes its earnings growth to American taxpayers, who may not realize they pick up a hefty share of cost overruns in the privatized military health care system. <br><br>"Americans across the political spectrum should be outraged by the sight of executives cashing in on war windfalls," says report co-author Sarah Anderson. "Unfortunately, partisan politics has stopped Congress from effectively overseeing this war contracting free-for-all."<br><br>Since 1990, the overall CEO-worker pay gap in the United States has grown from 107-to-1 to last year's 411-to-1. Minimum wage workers have lost 9 percent after inflation in the same 15 years. If the minimum wage had risen at the same pace as CEO pay, it would now stand at $22.61 per our, over four times the current $5.15. <br><br>"Executive Excess 2006" also challenges the current reform agenda for addressing excessive CEO pay in oil and defense as well as throughout the American economy. That agenda, reflected in new SEC rules released at the end of July, emphasizes requiring corporate boards to fully disclose all the <br>revenue streams -- perks and pensions included -- that go into contemporary executive pay. <br><br>But disclosure alone, notes report co-author Chuck Collins, won't restore fairness to the nation's executive suites. <br><br>"Transparency has been ineffective in curtailing CEO pay," says Collins. "The root problem is an imbalance of power. We need to give more clout to other stakeholders, such as requiring shareholder approval of executive pay and retirement packages, as is now done in Britain."<br><br>Authored by Sarah Anderson, John Cavanagh, Chuck Collins, and Eric Benjamin, and edited by Sam Pizzigati, "Executive Excess 2006" is the 13th annual CEO pay study by the Institute for Policy Studies and United for a Fair Economy. <br><br>The Institute for Policy Studies is an independent center for progressive research and education in Washington, DC. <br><br>United for a Fair Economy is a national organization based in Boston that spotlights growing economic inequality. <br><br>An embargoed PDF version of the report is now available to journalists on the web: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.faireconomy.org/reports/2006/ExecutiveExcess200.pdf.">www.faireconomy.org/repor...ss200.pdf.</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br>Please note the change in the embargo date to August 30. <br><br>For hard copies or to set up interviews with the co-authors, call 617-423-2148 x113 or e-mail bleondar-wri...@faireconomy.org. <br><br> ### <br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: CEOs: Oil Price Spike and War Profiteers -- Report

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:35 pm

Won't be long and we'll have a middle class the size of Mexico's, but dumber. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:42 pm

Embargoed? Is that why the link doesn't work? <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby Dreams End » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:27 pm

Peak Oil AND Peak Weapons? We are doomed... <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:47 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.uslaboragainstwar.org/article.php?id=11371">www.uslaboragainstwar.org...p?id=11371</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> ? <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:54 pm

The price of "privatization" to the taxpayers. Let's call it what it is--hogs at the hog trough. I think the average American voter has been brain-washed into believing that private companies can do services for the military/government cheaper and more <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>competently</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> than the feds. What wonderful examples: <br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>DEFENSE CONTRACTORS: Since the 3War on Terror2 began, CEOs at the top 34 military contractors have enjoyed average paychecks that are double the compensation they received in the four years leading up to 9/11. <br><br>The new "Executive Excess" report surveys all publicly held U.S. corporations among the top 100 defense contractors that had at least 10 percent of revenues in defense. These 34 CEOs combined have pocketed almost a billion dollars since 9/11 enough to employ more than a million Iraqis for a year to rebuild their country. <br><br>In 2005, defense industry CEOs walked off with 44 times more pay than military generals with 20 years experience, and 308 times more than Army privates. <br><br>United Technologies CEO George David led the pack with over $200 million in pay since 9/11, despite investigations into the quality of the company9s Black Hawk helicopters.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <br><br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>CEO Jay Gellert of Health Net saw the biggest personal pay raise after 9/11, a 1,134% leap over the preceding four years. The company owes its earnings growth to American taxpayers, who may not realize they pick up a hefty share of cost overruns in the privatized military health care system.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <br><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 8/23/06 9:00 pm<br></i>
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:14 pm

Let's face it--if this privatization hog trough suddenly dried up, we would suddenly find it expedient to get out of Iraq. So..... dry it up. <br><br>Let's also keep in mind that the cost of this war brought to us by the stupid hypnotized, patriotic American war hawk has also been much higher fuel prices, a sort of hidden "tax". So...... let's get out of Iraq. <br><br>They told us that Vietnam was a domino, and all of Asia would fall to the communists, which would result in a severe threat to our very existence.. But wasn't. This time they told us that Iraq would be another domino for a "democratic" Middle East, if we would just not cut and run. I am tired of their stupid, Ivory Tower (or should I say "Ivory Think-tank?) domino theories, and tired of privatization. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 8/23/06 9:47 pm<br></i>
chiggerbit

Return to Energy Issues