Mark Crispin Miller (Buzzflash interview)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Mark Crispin Miller (Buzzflash interview)

Postby professorpan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:20 pm

An excerpt:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/06/02/int06005.html">www.buzzflash.com/intervi...06005.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Mark Crispin Miller: This idea that Bush/Cheney surely never would protract their rule through fraud—talk about a faith-based notion! Look at what we now agree they’ve done! We concede that they lied us into a losing war. We concede that they did nothing after many warnings prior to 9/11. They didn’t even quietly arrange the reinforcement of the cockpit doors on US airliners. We concede that they did not nothing to prevent the devastation of New Orleans by Katrina, and that they then did nothing after the deluge. We concede that they plotted to expose a secret agent who was working to protect the USA from terrorist attacks. We concede that they insist on torturing anyone they like. We concede that they have countless numbers of us under surveillance, and that it’s illegal, and that Bush thinks he can do it anyway. We concede that they are packing the Supreme Court with far-right extremists who would give this president the powers of an emperor.<br><br>We concede all this—but not that they would commit election fraud (again)! “My goodness, no, they’d never do that!” Where does such self-delusion come from? Subverting our democracy is not just one more of this administration’s many crimes; it’s their essential crime. It’s what they’re all about. It’s how they got themselves positioned to commit their countless other crimes. And it’s not just what they did to place themselves in power, it’s what they’re now continuing to do, so that they never lose that power again.<br><br>That refusal to confront the evidence, and to concede that Bush & Co. were not elected, is certainly not based on reason. It’s based, rather, on deep denial and fearful ideology. It’s based on the absurd conviction that it can’t happen here. But anyone who tells himself that it can’t happen here has failed to grasp the meaning of this great republican experiment. Our whole system of government is based on the assumption that it can happen anywhere, at any time—that it can happen here, and surely will unless we keep this system going with all its checks and balances. The Framers studied history, and saw “it” happening repeatedly, wherever power was concentrated in one person or one body or one mob. That’s why they designed the system as they did. And that’s why BushCo’s slow destruction of that system is so very dangerous, and why we must fight back in every way we can. But we can’t accomplish anything until we face the facts. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mark Crispin Miller (Buzzflash interview)

Postby sunny » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:29 pm

professor, just linked to that article in the "Top Ten Conspiracy" thread. Was hoping to make the thread a repository of articles of profound observations on the dangerous situation we face in this country.<br><br>As I commented in the other thread, Miller makes the observation that the Bushevics are not subverting democracy in order to grab power, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>they are grabbing power in order to subvert democracy.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>The only problem I have with the article is that is makes me feel hopeless. There seems to be nothing at all we can do about anything. The tentacles of power have sunk into the body politic so deeply it has bled it dry with no way to resusitate it. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Gouda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:46 pm

Oh, almost. Truman handed over the reigns to increasingly concentrated power a long time ago. All this attention on Bush as the isolated dancing queen continues the progressive left's denial of the deeper problem we have. And again, a glaring blind spot on 911 - Only: "We concede that they did nothing after many warnings prior to 9/11". Why does he halt an otherwise nicely crescendo-ing argument there? <br><br>MCM: “We concede all this—but not that they would commit election fraud (again)! ‘My goodness, no, they’d never do that!’ Where does such self-delusion come from?"<br><br>Just one more step to take, Mark, c'mon, c'mon. Maybe he is just not aware of 911 research material because he has been concentrating on Bush and the elections. Which is great, of course, but... <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby Gouda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:13 pm

On second look, I do not mean to demean MCM's efforts as missing the mark or being inconsequential. The 2000 selections are of huge conseuence, but they are intimately linked with the 911 operation. I just wish he would, or could, or should, give equal weight and attention to both. 'Spose that is for others to do. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby professorpan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:13 pm

I hear what you're saying, but I think MCM is keeping his focus on voting issues, and probably fears diluting his message if he dips into 9/11. <br><br>From the several times I've heard him speak, I have little doubt he believes that 9/11 was at the very least a LIHOP, even if he hasn't said so explicitly. <br><br>I have no problems with writers and researchers who pick and choose their battles. I don't agree that every progressive/activist should be forced to address 9/11 theories -- each person has different tactics, and I respect those choices. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby Gouda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:11 pm

What good is his message if he dishonors his own logical and moral progression by sidestepping 911? <br><br>If he believes 911 is LIHOP (at minimum) he might recognize that maybe this was a tad more of an atrocity with far greater implications (and you would think, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>revelations</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->) than rigged elections. But I am not his advisor. <br>Possessing awareness of the possibilities lurking behind 911 while choosing not to "dilute" one's message with it amounts to fear of risking your respectability and credibility at best, and suggests another agenda at worst. Fear of losing respectability and credibility is a powerful deterrent, one which I also feel hindering me when discussing the subject with strangers. <br><br>I agree that nobody should force anyone to examine the 911 operation; that is cruel! Just thought that the parapolitics of 911 and the opportunity to pre-empt it from happening again might interest real progressives a little more. <br><br>Now, once I shake my head of Miller's selective conspiracizing, I can see the value in his getting people to come around <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>at least</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> on the stolen elections. To see that process, if it happens, of the entry of this topic into mainstream, "respectable" discourse could be interesting. Reformed electoral systems are nice, and may get democrats or progressives into power, but once in "power" these guys are still at the mercy of the consolidated powers that Miller mischaracterizes as Bush and company. <br> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby Gouda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm

As he says, "we can’t accomplish anything until we face the facts." <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby Dreams End » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:32 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Oh, almost. Truman handed over the reigns to increasingly concentrated power a long time ago. All this attention on Bush as the isolated dancing queen continues the progressive left's denial of the deeper problem we have<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I almost fainted with delight at that sentence. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Return to Politics and Stolen Elections