Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Music and politics

Postby robertdreed » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:17 pm

HTML Comments are not allowed <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Music and politics

Postby robertdreed » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:19 pm

Unbelievable. For some reason, the content of the message itself has been flagged by ezboard as "HTML comments not allowed", and forbidden from posting. <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:21 pm

Dammit Robert, I'm sorry to see that. I was looking forward to reading your thoughts. Hope you saved a copy.<br><br>As soon as some sort of normalcy returns to my real life I'll get us off this crap platform and into a decent home.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:23 pm

I don't understand, but I saw this before in another thread. What's happening here? Is there word-based censorship..? <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby robertdreed » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:28 pm

I figured it out. Ezboard snuck in a line of their code into my message to flag it and keep it from appearing, and I had to erase it before it would post. Part of their "post flood prevention" effort, or whatever. <br><br>My message is up now, over at the "Dead At The Grove" page. <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

html comments not allowed

Postby Mentalgongfu » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:02 pm

I don't know if the "html comments not allowed" is necessarily an EZboard conspiracy. When I first tried posting here, back when Floyd Smoots was around, I received that message. I remember because Smoots made some snide comment about my moniker. I'm not sure what I did to fix the problem, but haven't had any more trouble, knock on wood.<br><br>Speaking of ol' floyd smoots, did he end up getting booted? I can't recall. I occasionally enjoyed his snide comments, though he did seem to have a habit of turning decent threads into childish arguments bound for the fire pit. <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

'Speaking of ol' floyd smoots'

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:30 pm

Floyd got booted.<br><br>I never like to do it, but my judgement call was that Floyd was a disruptive presence. Not to mention in perpetual violation of the modest posting guidelines. <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Re: 'Speaking of ol' floyd smoots'

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:50 pm

A wise choice, Jeff. <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Mentalgongfu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:05 am

I don't blame you for booting Floyd and I don't doubt he deserved it. I thought that was what happened, but was hazy. Just opining a little. <br><br>But since this thread is titled Music in Politics, and Robert's post was disappeared, I'll opine that I appreciate the intent of Neil Young's latest album, and it's a decent play, but I'd rate it overall as mediocre. There are probably three songs I really dig, while the rest lost their glow after a couple spins. My pet peeve is the song about looking for a leader, which seems to me to prop up Hilary Clinton and Barak Obama. Obama blatantly, and Clinton by implication. Enough has been said about her, and while Barak makes good speeches, he seems suspect to me. The whole album seems to play into the IMO false left-right dichotomy in America. As long as there are only "two sides to the aisle" and anything "bipartisan" is considered a triumph, the status quo will continue. <br><br>Probably not where the original poster was going, but maybe it'll get this thread closer to its intended track. <br><br> <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:12 am

Feel free to correct me, but I could have sworn I heard some Bizzaro World thing about Obama and his(literal) relationship to the Bush family..I could be confusing him with someone else, btu I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned here at RI..Anyone remember this? <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

'maybe its obama'

Postby Mentalgongfu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:09 am

et, I don't recall that one, but I do know Sherman Skolnick and Lenny Bloom allege(d) he is a British agent.<br><br>I thought Obama's speech at the 04 Dem convention was good, but have since lost faith since I thought further about the matter. I'm not convinced he's an agent, but I <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>think </em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->he's a moneybags business as usual politician behind the scenes. His original opponent in Illinois, whose name I can't recall at the moment, was smeared over records from a divorce filing which were unsealed by order of the court and contained stories of strippers, infidelity and I think maybe wife-swapping or some such moral taboo. The original Republican opponent stepped down, and in stepped Alan Keyes, who ran a ridiculous campaign, spouting his insane rhetoric everywhere he went, being generally derided by all but the hardcore partisans, and handing a senate seat to Obama. <br><br>Seems rather convenient, in hindsight. <br>He has been appointed by the Party and the Press as the Democrats rising star, and is mentioned as a candidate for President, before having finished a single term in the Senate.<br><br>Still, he gives rousing speeches, seems to be well liked, and presents far more intelligent arguments than typical soundbyte fodder. <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

Re: 'maybe its obama'

Postby Mentalgongfu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:33 am

Obama's original opponent was Jack Ryan. <br><br>for a summary article, go to:<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/25/il.ryan/">www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/25/il.ryan/</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>Excerpt here: <br><br>Ryan drops out of Senate race in Illinois<br>Campaign hurt by sex club allegations<br><br>Friday, June 25, 2004 Posted: 5:49 PM EDT (2149 GMT)<br><br>(CNN) -- Buffeted by allegations of sex club forays, Republican candidate Jack Ryan on Friday dropped out of the U.S. Senate race in Illinois.<br><br>In a written statement, Ryan blamed the news media for the controversy, saying its interest in his personal life had gotten "out of control."<br><br>"It's clear to me that a vigorous debate on the issues most likely could not take place if I remain in the race," Ryan said. "What would take place, rather, is a brutal, scorched-earth campaign -- the kind of campaign that has turned off so many voters, the kind of politics I refuse to play.<br><br>"Accordingly, I am today withdrawing from the race. "<br><br>Ryan, 44, a wealthy former investment banker, had been running against Democrat Barack Obama for the seat being vacated by retiring GOP Sen. Peter Fitzgerald -- a potentially key contest in the battle for control of the evenly divided Senate.<br><br>Even before the lurid allegations, Obama held a lead over Ryan in various polls.<br><br>Republican officials acknowledged Friday that any Republican who jumps into the race now would face an uphill battle. <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

Re: 'maybe its obama'

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 am

Cheers, gongfu. I could have sworn reading something Jeff or someone else here had mentioned about Bush connections to him through Africa..<br><br>All the better if not; it's nice to at least think that someone's not already dug in, but I'm a natural pessemist about things like that. <p>____________________<br>Oderint, dum metuant</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

RI & Obama

Postby km artlu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:55 am

Mr. Ego...unfortunately for our false hopes, your memory of Jeff having written of Obama and Bush connections matches my own. I recall the relation being through his white and American mother. Perhaps someone will toss that link into this thread?<br><br>That Hillary/Obama ticket feels like a possible future casting its shadow before. I shudder at the tedium of seeing the crowd stampede towards their differently-packaged doom. <p></p><i></i>
km artlu

Postby friend catcher » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:46 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1807542,00.html">arts.guardian.co.uk/news/...42,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>This old rapper is causing a bit of controversy and testing the limits of freedom of expression. <br><br> <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>It is not difficult to predict the reaction from some sectors. Nawaz says he is ready for it. "I've got a Post-It note on my front door saying don't knock the door in, ring me, here's my number."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=friendcatcher>friend catcher</A> at: 6/30/06 5:01 am<br></i>
friend catcher

Next

Return to Politics and Stolen Elections