"Worst flaw ever" discovered in Diebold machines

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

"Worst flaw ever" discovered in Diebold machines

Postby professorpan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:53 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/7/31/135640/070">www.dailykos.com/storyonl...135640/070</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Just in case people don't want to follow the link

Postby Sarutama » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:57 pm

As published on Slashdot, in their "Politics" section, WhiteDragon writes:<br><br> "The folks at Open Voting Foundation got their hands on a Diebold AccuVote TS touchscreen voting machine. They took it apart (pictures here), and found the most serious security flaw ever discovered in this machine. A single switch is all that is required to cause the machine to boot an unverified external flash instead of the builtin verified EEPROM."<br><br>Now the nerds are talking about how their votes could still matter when they're counted by the obviously insecure Diebold.<br><br> * DocGonzo's diary :: ::<br>*<br><br>Geeks know that this insecurity means anyone can use a common keychain "thumbdrive" to start the machine, run any software they want to mess with its data, and walk away without leaving a trace. The thumbdrive can include big complex software to juggle voting data according to formulas that make the changes hard to detect. Those thumbdrives can be networked, even over mobile phones, to run districtwide or nationwide "tweaks" that don't raise eyebrows too much when compared with overall voting patterns, exit polls, other evidence of the actual public will.<br><br>A bad guy can walk up to a machine after the votes are collected, reboot it from their keychain, cheat the election results, shut down and walk away in a few minutes. It might even be possible to start in a few seconds, shut down any displays, walk away while the cheat software works, then just return a few minutes later to unplug and get away.<br><br>When will the criminals selling these machines to the criminals certifying and buying them be brought to justice? When will we ever have reason to believe in our voting integrity again? Help the Open Voting Foundation and Bev Harris' Black Box Voting Org to expose these criminal conspiracies and take back our country from the thieves.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Sarutama

Re: "Worst flaw ever" discovered in Diebold machin

Postby eroeoplier » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:34 pm

I watch from the sidelines. What a den of iniquity!<br><br>I didn't need to be introduced to any vast sinister conspiracy theories to figure out that there was something wrong with the modern world. All I had to do was go to university. Verily I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for an honest person to gain tertiary qualifications!<br><br>So much for Ethics 101, 202, and 303 at Journalism School huh? A story that should be good for months worth of front pages instead bobs about on the net for years.<br><br>One thing we can be sure of in the human world is that big things don't happen *ex nihilo.* Big things grow from little things. All the little deceptions we agree to live with in order to get on are what makes big deceptions possible. <p></p><i></i>
eroeoplier

Postby dugoboy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:47 pm

Geeks know that this insecurity means <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>anyone can use a common keychain "thumbdrive" to start the machine, run any software they want to mess with its data, and walk away without leaving a trace. The thumbdrive can include big complex software to juggle voting data according to formulas that make the changes hard to detect. <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Those thumbdrives can be networked, even over mobile phones, to run districtwide or nationwide "tweaks" that don't raise eyebrows too much when compared with overall voting patterns</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, exit polls, other evidence of the actual public will.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>welcome to the 21st century. <p>___________________________________________<br>"BUSHCO aren't incompetent...they are COMPLICIT." -Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:19 am

"Can you hear me now?" <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby DireStrike » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:23 pm

You might wanna spread the word on Bev Harris being a trickster/conwoman wherever you see her referenced. She bilked a huge number of people on DU, and through Randi Rhodes, into giving her money and has been obfuscating about how much she got, what she did with it, and so on, ever since.<br><br>At best, she's a greedy huckster. At worst she's on their side, designed to channel clean-vote donations back into the whole horrible system! <p></p><i></i>
DireStrike

Return to Politics and Stolen Elections