Election Fraud Central-thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Election Fraud Central-thread

Postby sunny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Post all election skullduggery here.<br><br>I'll start. professor, er, Yer Honour, don't let this happen to you!<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1106/372527.html" target="top">Election Judges Report Getting Mysterious Calls.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>BALTIMORE (AP) - Election officials in Baltimore say someone has been calling election judges and falsely telling them that they're Election Day assignments have changed. <br><br>***<br>About ten judges reported getting the calls. Two said they tried to call back the number on their caller I-D, but were told the number was not in service. <br><br>Election officials say all the judges who reported getting the calls attended the same training class of about 20 people. <br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

ABC just blew my mind

Postby sugarmead » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:07 pm

I cannot believe what I just saw on ABC evening news, an honest and informative story about the myriad of problems associated with electronic voting machines. It started off soft, talking about problems with the machines handicap features, but then shockingly enough it went on to discuss concerns regarding the lack of a paper trail the machines provide, which would make a re-count impossible. The story then went on to validate fears voiced over altered counts and and changed votes. <br><br>I'd be impressed if I weren't pretty certain that the Administration will turn this argument in their favor, i.e., Using the hacking argument to explain the landslide victory of their opponents. <br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sugarmead

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ABC just blew my mind

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:13 pm

I just heard the Jim Lehrer News Hour on PBS carry a story on hackable e-voting machines. The topic is officially open.<br><br>Why now? We've known this for years. Oh, because Dems are going to win some seats suddenly election fraud is touchable.<br><br>Assholes. Still, better late than never. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Election Fraud Central-thread

Postby dugoboy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:26 pm

i find it interesting how easily this story has entered the mainstream news as of late. there must be a plan for this if it is talked about so much as evinced by this report: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/15869919.htm" target="top"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>U.S. digs for vote-machine links to Hugo Chávez</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>and this thread: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://p216.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm10.showMessage?topicID=6752.topic" target="top"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Republican plan to claim vote fraud in face of Dem win</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->?</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->.<br><br>i'm not suggesting electronic voting machines aren't being hacked but i am just saying i can't believe that it's actually getting this much press. but it is also true that its only gotten it's fair due in the news only in the last few months (RFK Jr's article in Rolling Stone magazine, etc.) when it's far too late to change the unfolding course of events. <br>there was an article in the New York Times last week saying: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/NY_Times_Illequipped_states_brace_for_1018.html" target="top"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>'Ill-equipped' states brace for Election Day chaos</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>"Among the states most likely to encounter election difficulties, the article lists California, Maryland, Ohio and Pennsylvania, where incumbent GOP Sen. Rick Santorum trails Democrat Bob Casey, Jr. in recent polls."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>WASHINGTON -- New electronic voting machines have arrived in Yolo County, Calif., but there is one hitch: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The audio program for the visually impaired in some of them works only in Vietnamese.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>...<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>In Maryland, Mississippi and Pennsylvania, a shortage of technicians has vendors for new machines soliciting applications for technical support workers on job Web sites like Monster.com.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> Oakley, who is also facing a shortage, raided the computer science department at the University of California, Davis, hiring 60 graduate students as troubleshooters.<br><br>...<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>"We've got new laws, new technology, heightened partisanship and a growing involvement of lawyers in the voting process,"</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> said Tova Wang, who studies elections for the Century Foundation, a nonpartisan research group. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>"We also have the greatest potential for problems in more places next month than in any voting season before."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Election officials in many of the states are struggling with delays in the delivery of machines in the lead-up to the election as old-fashioned lever and punch-card machines are phased out.<br><br>---<br><br>we shall see. hold fast...cuz' it's gonna be a bumpy ride..<br> <p>___________________________________________<br>"Fascism finds root best in unreality, dysfunction and irresponsibility." - Me<br><br>"Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act" -George Orwell<br><br>"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - always." -Mahatma Gandhi</p><i></i>
dugoboy

Postby sunny » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:30 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/01/AR2006110103202.html">www.washingtonpost.com/wp...03202.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Md. Democrats Say GOP Plans to Block Voters</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br><br>By Matthew Mosk<br>Washington Post Staff Writer<br>Thursday, November 2, 2006; Page B06<br><br>A recently distributed guide for Republican poll watchers in Maryland spells out how to aggressively challenge the credentials of voters and urges these volunteers to tell election judges they could face jail time if a challenge is ignored.<br><br>Democrats said yesterday they consider the handbook, obtained by The Washington Post, evidence of a Republican effort to block people from voting Tuesday.<br><br> <br>Online Resource<br>This handbook, obtained by The Washington Post, is being distributed for Republican poll watchers in Maryland.<br><br>GOP Poll Watcher Program (PDF) <br><br> <br>"The tenor of the material is that they are asking folks, if not directing them, to challenge voters," said Bruce L. Marcus, an attorney for the state Democratic Party. "It's really tantamount to a suppression effort."<br><br>Advocacy groups including the National Campaign for Fair Elections, Common Cause and the NAACP, as well as a George Washington University professor who is an expert on voter suppression, agreed with that assessment.<br><br>Barbara Burt of Common Cause said the technique, last seen in Ohio in the 2004 presidential election, is an "insidious voter intimidation tactic."<br><br>Republicans rebutted that charge, saying they merely are guarding against fraud. "I don't think that's borderline suppression," said state Republican Party Chairman John Kane. "It's making sure that people who have earned the right to vote are voting. We've had people die in wars to protect those rights."<br><br>No one disputes the legality of having poll watchers set up folding chairs and monitor the election on behalf of their party. Typically, though, poll watchers are present to help ensure that their party's supporters get to vote, not the other way around.<br><br>Democrats, for instance, have distributed advice to their poll watchers to "make sure that voters are not being turned away."<br><br>"The key is the perspective each party brings to the process," Marcus said. "Our philosophy is, if we have a qualified voter, we're going to turn things inside out and upside down to get them to be able to vote."<br><br>The GOP poll-watcher program, outlined in a 13-page document, states: "Your most important duty as a poll worker is to challenge people who present themselves to vote but who are not authorized to vote."<br><br>It cautions, "Undoubtedly, the challenge process will be awkward and may cause consternation on the part of the challenged voter as well as the judges." It advises, "If there is cause to make a challenge, you should not hesitate to do so merely because it upsets the challenged voter or the election judges."<br><br>It adds, "If the election judge should try to ignore your challenge, point out that they would be committing a criminal offense punishable by not less than 30 days in jail."<br><br>Jonah H. Goldman, director of the National Campaign for Fair Elections, said the program "raises serious concerns."<br><br>"When you have a political party telling people their Number 1 responsibility is to challenge voters, our ears certainly perk up," Goldman said. "This could either be intended to challenge voters in a discriminatory way or in a disruptive way. A lot of times, they just try to cause chaos and long lines."<br><br>The manual provides a range of scenarios in which the volunteer should phone complaints to the party's legal headquarters or fill out "incident reports." The scenarios include voters who can't readily supply their full name, address or date of birth -- or who are assisted by election judges.<br><br>"People raising questions about the poll-watcher program may be looking at it from the wrong perspective," said Dirk Haire, the legal counsel for the state GOP. "I wonder if they are concerned that efforts we take could uncover fraud."<br><br>Democratic National Committee counsel Joseph E. Sandler said he believes one goal is to create a record for the GOP to use to challenge a close election's outcome in court.<br><br>Kane disputed this: "I think what we're doing is protecting ourselves. The Democrats are going to have 500 roving lawyers out there looking for every possible legal challenge."<br><br>Sandler said the legal team organized by his party will "be there to help deter the Republicans from effectively carrying this out. So people's votes are safe and secure."<br><br>The poll-watcher programs also underscore how tense both parties are about turnout -- particularly among black voters -- in the final days of the contests for Maryland governor and a U.S. Senate seat.<br><br>Various polls have shown that the outcome changes dramatically depending on how many black voters cast ballots.<br><br>A recent Washington Post poll that measured black turnout at 25 percent showed Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley (D) with a lead of 10 percentage points over Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R). A poll published yesterday by the Baltimore Sun that assumed black turnout at 19 percent showed the race as a statistical dead heat.<br><br>Spencer A. Overton, the GWU professor, said a program designed to encourage Election Day challenges has the potential to disenfranchise black voters. "Parties target particular communities, and they don't apply the rules uniformly to all voters in all areas," Overton said.<br><br>Kane, however, said the program is in no way intended to bar black voters. Ehrlich said he would not tolerate such an effort, adding that his plan has been to woo black voters, not turn them away. "I think our message has really struck a chord."<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Postby erosoplier » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:52 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.bradblog.com/?p=3697" target="top">www.bradblog.com/?p=3697</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.bradblog.com/?p=3714" target="top">www.bradblog.com/?p=3714</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
erosoplier

Postby Gouda » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:06 am

Good idea to have this thread. <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I'd be impressed if I weren't pretty certain that the Administration will turn this argument in their favor, i.e., Using the hacking argument to explain the landslide victory of their opponents.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Undoubtedly. Then will we hear this ditty in the background...<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>You say tomato, I say tomahto, <br>let's call the whole thing off. </em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>...followed by the rumbling of tanks? <br><br>I hear the corporate policy elite reminding us: <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Security, but not necessarily democracy.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

And so it begins..........

Postby sugarmead » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:24 pm

Vote machines smart cards missing; TN GOP fear fraud<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5115699,00.html">www.commercialappeal.com/...99,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
sugarmead

Re: And so it begins..........

Postby sunny » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:20 pm

Ohio again:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/wews/20061103/lo_wews/10234918">news.yahoo.com/s/wews/200...s/10234918</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Test Spits Out Wrong Results At Board Of Elections <br><br>A problem has been discovered with the optical scanner in connection with one race at the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections Friday afternoon. <br><br> During a test using an optical scanner, officials discovered that the machine was providing incorrect election results for the race for the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>BOE officials said this is just one race out of hundreds in which a problem has been found.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Re: And so it begins..........

Postby sunny » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:03 pm

1-866-OUR VOTE is the number to call to report any voting irregularity you see.<br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Dan Hopsicker on our gallant guardians of the ballot...

Postby robertdreed » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:31 am

"...the sale of Sequoia to an offshore company suspected of links to Hugo Chavez may be a key element in a fiendishly-shrewd Republican strategy to disclaim responsibility after the fact for stealing the 2006 vote.<br><br>Consider: who would suspect Republicans of being responsible if a company linked to Hugo Chavez is shown to have been “massaging” the vote?..."<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.madcowprod.com/11012006a.html">www.madcowprod.com/11012006a.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 11/4/06 11:33 pm<br></i>
robertdreed

Guam gets it

Postby robertdreed » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:36 am

"2:20 p.m., Nov. 4 — Electronic voting machines will not be used in Tuesday's General Election after the governor today into law a measure suspending the use of the machines.<br><br>Bill 355, authored by Democratic Sen. Rory Respicio, temporarily suspends the use of electronic voting machines until certain conditions are met by the Guam Election Commission..."<br><br> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200661104005">www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs...0661104005</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Get a load of this...

Postby robertdreed » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:39 am

" Primary and early e-voting problems point to gathering storm<br><br>11/1/2006 5:42:14 PM, by Jon Stokes<br><br>As we move toward the November mid-terms, we're beginning to a more detailed and depressing picture of exactly what we're up against as a nation in less than a week: two major new reports from independent research groups detail the myriad security breaches, and procedural and technical problems in the 2006 Ohio primaries; stories from early voting in Texas indicate that the paperless DREs in at least two counties may have a partisan bias; another major new report from the University of Connecticut details a whole raft of security vulnerabilities in Diebold's optical scan voting machines; finally, BlackBoxVoting.org has released "push this, pull here" instructions for multiple voting on a Sequoia DRE, no hacking skills necessary..."<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061101-8131.html">arstechnica.com/news.ars/...-8131.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"...Problems with Diebold optical scanners<br><br>Avi Rubin's blog highlights a major new security study of Diebold's AccuVote Optical Scan (AV-OS) voting machine. Here's part of the abstract:<br><br> We present an independent security evaluation of the AccuVote Optical Scan voting terminal (AV-OS). We identify a number of new vulnerabilities of this system which, if exploited maliciously, can invalidate the results of an election process utilizing the terminal. Furthermore, based on our findings an AV-OS can be compromised with off-the-shelf equipment in a matter of minutes even if the machine has its removable memory card sealed in place. The basic attack can be applied to effect a variety of results, including entirely neutralizing one candidate so that their votes are not counted, swapping the votes of two candidates, or biasing the results by shifting some votes from one candidate to another. Such vote tabulation corruptions can lay dormant until the election day, thus avoiding detection through pre-election tests.<br><br>Rubin considers the report pretty devastating, and he includes this further tidbit from the report in his blog:<br><br> The attacks in this paper are cleverly designed to make a compromised machine appear to work correctly when the system's audit reports are evaluated or when the machine is subjected to pre-election testing. Besides manipulation of the voting machine totals and reports, the authors explain how any voter can vote an arbitrary number of times using (get this), Post-it notes, if the voter is left unattended.<br><br>That's right folks: cast multiple votes with a Post-it note. You can find directions for doing so inside the report.<br><br>I wonder if the Post-it hack works on optical scanners from other companies. This would be worth finding out, since about 40 percent of votes will be cast using optical scanners on the 7th.<br><br>Vote multiple times on a Sequoia machine by holding down the yellow button<br><br>By way of finishing off today's litany of positively awful e-voting news, I bring you step-by-step instructions for casting multiple ballots on any Sequoia machine. No computer skills needed; just reach around the back of the machine and hold down the yellow button. Courtesy of BlackBoxVoting.org.<br><br>Six years after the Florida fiasco, can you believe this is happening?..."<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 11/4/06 11:40 pm<br></i>
robertdreed

Re: Get a load of this...

Postby NewKid » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:07 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The topic is officially open.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>It is indeed. Bev Harris even has a new documentary on HBO about the voting machines. You can officially wear your tinfoil hat now (or conversely, as Joe Wilson recently put it, "there are no tinfoil hats anymore"). It's part of a larger pushback effort at the administration. Let them know that the reaction won't be the same as in 2004 if Republicans end up with miraculous come from behind victories. The scandals involving Foley and this fundamentalist preacher may be part of the same effort as well. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=newkid@rigorousintuition>NewKid</A> at: 11/5/06 3:13 am<br></i>
NewKid

Re: Jeffrey Dean, computer fraud felon, Diebold programmer

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:27 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,2645,61640,00.html">www.wired.com/news/evote/...40,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Con Job at Diebold Subsidiary</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br><br>By Associated Press <br>10:05 AM Dec, 17, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>2003</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>SAN FRANCISCO -- At least five convicted felons secured management positions at a manufacturer of electronic voting machines, according to critics demanding more stringent background checks for people responsible for voting machine software.<br><br>Voter advocate Bev Harris alleged Tuesday that managers of a subsidiary of Diebold, one of the country's largest voting equipment vendors, included a cocaine trafficker, a man who conducted fraudulent stock transactions and a programmer jailed for falsifying computer records.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The programmer, Jeffrey Dean, wrote and maintained proprietary code used to count hundreds of thousands of votes as senior vice president of Global Election Systems, or GES. Diebold purchased GES in January 2002.<br><br>According to a public court document released before GES hired him, Dean served time in a Washington state correctional facility for stealing money and tampering with computer files in a scheme that "involved a high degree of sophistication and planning."</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>"You can't tell me these people passed background tests," Harris, author of Black Box Voting: Ballot Tampering in the 21st Century, said in a phone interview.<br><br>Diebold spokesman Michael Jacobsen emphasized that the company performs background checks on all managers and programmers. He said many GES managers -- including Dean -- left at the time of the acquisition.<br><br>"We can't speak for the hiring process of a company before we acquired it," Jacobsen said. He would not provide further details, saying company policy bars discussion of current or past employees.<br><br>The former GES is Diebold's wholly owned subsidiary, Global Election Management Systems, which produces the operating system that touch-screen voting terminals use.<br><br>Dean could not be reached for comment Tuesday afternoon.<br><br>Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-California) announced a bill last week that would require stringent background checks on all electronic voting company employees who work with voting software. The bill, which Boxer plans to introduce in January, would toughen security standards for voting software and hardware, and require touch-screen terminals to include printers and produce paper backups of vote counts by the 2004 presidential election in November.<br><br>Harris and Andy Stephenson, a Democratic candidate for secretary of state in Washington, conducted a 10-day investigation in Seattle and Vancouver, where the men were convicted. Harris and Stephenson released the findings in a 17-page document online and at a news conference in Seattle.<br><br>Also Tuesday, Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed announced legislation that would require electronic voting machines in the state to produce a paper trail. If the legislature approves it, touch-screen machines in the state would be required to produce paper receipts by 2006.<br><br>Voters would get to see but not touch or remove the receipts, which would be kept in a county lock box. Computer programmers say software bugs, hackers or electrical failures could cause more than 50,000 touch-screen machines used in precincts nationwide to delete or alter votes. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>California Secretary of State Kevin Shelley said last month that touch-screens in the nation's most populous state must provide paper receipts by 2006.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>California SoS Kevin Shelley was then railroaded out of office on an 'anger management' scandal. The new SoS has rubberstamped Diebold machines. What a surprise. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Next

Return to Politics and Stolen Elections