Libbey Indicted on 5 felony counts and resigned.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Libbey Indicted on 5 felony counts and resigned.

Postby pugzleyca3 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:46 pm

I wonder if Rover is going to be let off the hook?<br><br>Baltimore Sun<br>Developing story <br>Libby indicted in CIA leak probe<br>Vice president's chief of staff faces obstruction of justice, perjury, false statement charges; Rove remains under investigation for his actions in case <br>By A Sun Reporter<br>Originally published October 28, 2005, 12:59 PM EDT<br>WASHINGTON // I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby has been indicted by a grand jury today for leaking the identity of a CIA operative. The federal grand jury indicted Libby on five charges: one charge of obstruction of justice, two charges of perjury and two charges of making false statements. All are felony crimes.<br><br>The charges were announced in a statement from special prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald, who investigated the leak of the identity of a CIA agent for the past two years.<br><br><br><br>Karl Rove, President Bush's deputy chief of staff, whose role had also been under investigation, was not indicted today. However, he could still face indictment at a later date for his actions in the leak case.<br><br>Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff , is accused of knowingly divulging the identity of Valerie Plame as a covert operative for the CIA. Fitzgerald has investigated whether Plame was "outed" in an effort to get back at her husband, an outspoken critic of the Bush administration.<br><br>Monday's New York Times reported that unidentified lawyers said that notes taken by Libby reveal that he learned that Plame was a CIA officer during a conversation with Cheney on June 12, 2003. That was nearly a month before columnist Robert Novak disclosed Plame's name. That disclosure came eight days after Plame's husband, former Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, publicly criticized the Bush administration for twisting intelligence to justify the invasion of Iraq.<br><br>Libby previously testified that he had learned about Plame's identity in conversations with journalists. Sources familiar with Rove's testimony to grand jurors said it was possible he first heard in the White House that Plame worked for the CIA from Libby's recounting of a conversation with a journalist.<br><br>According to Rove's testimony, Novak told him he was writing a column that would report that Plame worked for the CIA. Rove said he told the columnist he had heard similar information.<br><br>Part of Fitzgerald's investigation probed into disparities between what Rove and Libby told the grand jury, and testimony from journalists to whom the two men had spoken.<br><br>Matthew Cooper, a reporter for Time magazine, wrote an article about the leak. During the investigation, Cooper and Time Inc. agreed to cooperate with the investigation and revealed that the source behind the story was Rove.<br><br>Judith Miller, a New York Times reporter who researched a story that was never written, spent 85 days in jail for not revealing her source to Fitzgerald. She was released from jail after her source, Libby, gave permission to reveal his identity during her subsequent testimony.<br><br>More details to follow. <br><br><A href=http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-leak1028,1,523177.story?coll=bal-home-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true> BALTIMORE SUN </A><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pugzleyca3>pugzleyca3</A> at: 10/28/05 12:49 pm<br></i>
pugzleyca3

Blog: View Blog (0)

What a deal

Postby Connut » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:48 pm

With any luck he can resign and get to stay on the payroll, just like Brownie ... <p></p><i></i>
Connut

Snore.

Postby banned » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:49 pm

Scooter fell on his sword.<br><br>I'm shocked, shocked?<br><br>Not really. Saw that coming a mile away...like when they leaked that screwy "aspens" letter of his to Judy Blue Eyes. Who may also take the fall, cast out of the Newspaper that only prints the news that fits, I mean of Record.<br><br>Just once, I want to be surprised.<br><br>I mean, pleasantly so.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
banned

Re: What a deal

Postby pugzleyca3 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:15 pm

He already resigned, but probably hasn't been taken off the payroll yet, and you are right, he'll probably be allowed to continue sucking on the tit of the American taxpayer. <br><br>I can't help but wonder if all of this is a diversion, to keep us off Bush's tail on the Iraq war among other more pressing issues. <br><br>However, this is going to turn a lot more of his base away from him, especially other politicians.<br><br>Instead of coming out and speaking to America about this, it appears Bush is doing his usual cut and run, this time to Camp David. <br><br>Anyone know if he's going to speak to the public about this? <br> <p></p><i></i>
pugzleyca3

Return to Plame Investigation