Proof that Woodward's a spook

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Proof that Woodward's a spook

Postby banned » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:24 am

If you needed more proof than his masturbation-fantasy comicbook hero book about Bush & Iraq, that is.<br><br>In the interests of full disclosure:<br><br>1. I have believed since I read an article circa 1976 by Nicholas von Hoffman persuasively arguing that the PTB fed Woodward everything he got because they wanted to bring Nixon down. All that intrepid investigative reporter shit was just that--shit. Bernstein was on the level, but duped.<br><br>2. I do not believe Mark Felt was Deep Throat. I believe it was Bill Rehnquist, and that the tagging of poor senile Mr. Felt was to avoid an orgy of speculation that might have become more than that when Rehnquist, then ailing, kicked the bucket.<br><br>Woodward's lying and I hope Fitz turns his spotlight on him.<br><br>========<br>Woodward Claim on CIA Leak Disputes Charge<br><br>By TONI LOCY and PETE YOST, Associated Press Writers <br><br>WASHINGTON - Bob Woodward's version of when and where he learned the identity of a<br>CIA operative contradicts a special prosecutor's contention that Vice President<br>Dick Cheney's top aide was the first to make the disclosure to reporters.<br><br>Attorneys for the aide, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, described Wednesday's statement by the Washington Post's assistant managing editor as helpful for their defense, although Libby is charged with lying to a grand jury and the<br>FBI, not with disclosing the CIA official's name.<br><br>"Hopefully, as information is obtained from reporters like Bob Woodward, the real facts will come out," lawyer Ted Wells said Wednesday.<br><br>Woodward, a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter, said he had not told his bosses until last month that he had learned about Valerie Plame's identity and her work at the CIA more than two years ago from a high-level Bush administration official.<br><br>When Woodward learned Plame's name, he told The Associated Press Wednesday, he was in the middle of finishing a book about the administration's decision to go to war in<br>Iraq, and didn't want to be subpoenaed to testify.<br><br>"The grand jury was going and reporters were being jailed, and I hunkered down more than I usually do," Woodward said, explaining why he waited so long to tell Post Executive Editor Leonard Downie Jr. what he knew about the Plame matter.<br><br>Woodward made his name with his coverage of the Watergate scandal during the Nixon administration. He kept secret for decades the identity of "Deep Throat," a key source in that reporting.<br><br>Woodward said he had apologized for not giving Downie much earlier notice of his reporting on Plame.<br><br>To critics who are taking shots at him, Woodward said, "Journalism is a contact sport. I was 29 when people who really knew how to shoot were around," referring to Watergate.<br><br>Because his source in the leak case has refused to be identified publicly, Woodward said his hands are tied. "We can't tell the whole story. I would like to. It's one that will be told some day," he said.<br><br>Columnist Robert Novak disclosed Plame's identity and her work at the CIA on July 14, 2003, eight days after her husband, Joseph Wilson, a former ambassador, had accused the White House of misrepresenting intelligence to justify the Iraq war.<br><br>Libby, Cheney's former chief of staff, was indicted last month on charges that he lied to FBI agents and a grand jury about when he learned Plame's identity and how he subsequently disclosed it to reporters.<br><br>Special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, in announcing the charges, portrayed Libby as the first high-level government official to reveal Plame's identity to reporters in summer 2003.<br><br>Legal experts said Wednesday the disclosure that Woodward had a source — who was not Libby — could be used by Libby's lawyers to bolster their claim that Plame's identity was common knowledge among government officials and reporters.<br><br>"Much was made of the fact that Libby set all of this in motion, that he was the first government official to reveal this," said former Deputy Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., now a defense attorney in Washington.<br><br>"As a defense attorney, I'd try to make as much of this as I possibly could to call into question the completeness of the investigation and raise concerns about a rush to judgment." However, he said, "I'm not sure at the end of the day that it hurts the trial of this case."<br><br>Robert W. Ray, a former independent counsel, said the Woodward disclosure won't help Libby if his defense is that he wasn't the only official leaking Plame's identity. "The point was: Did you make false statements and perjure yourself?" Ray said.<br><br>The Washington Post said Wednesday that Woodward had given a sworn deposition to Fitzgerald on Monday. According to the Post, Woodward's source told Fitzgerald after Libby's indictment that the source had talked to Woodward in mid-June 2003. Woodward also talked to Libby and White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card at about the same time in connection with his book. But Woodward said in a statement printed in the Post that he didn't recall talking about Plame with Card or Libby.<br><br>Card, Libby and the remaining source — still unidentified — released Woodward from promises of confidentiality so he could answer Fitzgerald's questions. But the remaining source — at least as of Wednesday — refused to allow Woodward or the Post to identify him or her publicly.<br><br>Fitzgerald's investigation was bogged down for months while he sought testimony from reporters who had gathered information about Plame, whose husband was sent to Africa by the CIA in early 2002 to check out allegations that Iraq had tried to buy uranium "yellowcake."<br><br>Judith Miller, a former New York Times reporter, spent 85 days in jail last summer after refusing to testify before a grand jury about her conversations with Libby in June and July of 2003.<br><br>Elsewhere on Wednesday, Libby spent several hours at the federal courthouse in an area designated for lawyers to review classified or sensitive government evidence.<br><br>Accompanied by his legal team, Libby walked into the courthouse without the crutches that he'd been using during a court appearance two weeks ago when he pleaded not guilty.<br><br>Other top Bush administration officials, including Karl Rove, have testified before the grand jury.<br><br>Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Rove's legal team, said Rove was not the official who talked to Woodward. Rove was referred to, but not by name, in Libby's indictment as having discussed Plame's identity with reporters.<br><br>Woodward is now assistant managing editor of the Post. In October, he was dismissive of the Plame revelation, telling CNN's Larry King that the damage from her exposure was "quite minimal."<br><br>Meanwhile, The Associated Press on Wednesday joined other news organizations in asking U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton to deny a court motion by Fitzgerald for a blanket protective order keeping all pretrial evidence in Libby's case out of public view. <p></p><i></i>
banned

Blog: View Blog (0)

woodpecker is a USN officer and Intell asset

Postby dbeach » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:33 am

woodpecker is a USN officer and Intell asset<br><br>AND TRAITOR for lying about everyone from Nixon to bush<br><br>and I say that as a lifetime Kennedy man and proud of it..<br><br>Nixon was lots of things and I have had a long grudge against him BUT he is a Saint compared to the bush family of satanic blue blooded TRAITORS<br>and their many enablers /opportunists..<br><br>I will pause hear to remember JFK 11/22/63 and the worst day in my life .<br>and also to remind ALL Veterans of their OATH to protect this USA against ALL enemies both foreign and Domestic and that includes big shots like Woodward<br><br><br><br>"Robert U. Woodward was born in Geneva, Illinois, and raised in nearby Wheaton. Woodward's father was a prominent attorney, and hoped that Robert would follow in his footsteps. He attended Yale University on a Naval ROTC scholarship, and majored in history and English literature. A few weeks after receiving his B.A. degree in 1965, he entered the United States Navy for a four-year tour of duty. The American escalation in Vietnam had just begun. When Woodward left the Navy, American involvement in Vietnam -- and domestic opposition to the war -- were at their height. <br><br>At the end of his military service, Woodward applied to Harvard Law School, and was accepted for the fall 1970 term, but he chose to pursue a career in journalism instead. He persuaded The Washington Post to give him an unpaid two-week try-out. Not one of the 17 stories he filed was printed. The Post editors concluded that he was not ready for a major metropolitan daily newspaper, and arranged for him to take job as one of four reporters at a small suburban weekly, The Montgomery County Sentinel. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/woo1bio-1">www.achievement.org/autod.../woo1bio-1</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>"Woodward] has vociferously fought all attempts to link him with White House briefings while working at the Pentagon. Bob portrays his background in such a way that his initial success as a . . . reporter . . . seems to have come from simple hard work, from knocking on doors in the dark of night, and from talking with low-level government secretaries. Nothing could be further from the truth. . . . Bob denied knowing Alexander Haig because General Haig would be one of his more important government sources when Bob became a newspaper reporter, and because Alexander Haig is one of two or three men who fit the description of Deep Throat.<br><br>The indictment goes on. By checking weather data with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for specific days described in All the President's Men, Havill shows that it almost certainly did not rain when the book says it was raining and that it almost certainly was warmer than described in "chilly" scenes, or colder than described in "sweaty" scenes. Havill's research also shows, seemingly beyond refutation, that the movie Deep Throat was not playing in Washington, D.C., on the day Bernstein supposedly watched the hard-core sex film while evading a subpoena.<br><br>To bolster his case that Woodward and Bernstein are published liars, Havill quotes form a 1976 book, The New Muckrakers, written by Leonard Downie, Jr. At the time he wrote the book, Downie was an investigative journalist colleague of Woodward and Bernstein, at The Washington Post. (Today, as the Post's top editor, Downie is Woodward's boss.) Relating a 1965 newspaper story Bernstein wrote about the New York City power outage, Downie asked, "How many people were in the Americana's lobby? How many of the hitchhiking executives were wearing Brooks Brothers suits? . . . With Bernstein, you could never be sure about the little details."<br><br>While Downie is harder on Bernstein than on Woodward in The New Muckrakers, Havill focuses on Woodward's alleged sins. His research is prodigious. Trying to show that during Woodward's years in the Navy he was more deeply involved in military intelligence than he admits, Havill studied the 1965-66 deck logs of the ship on which he served. Trying to establish Woodward's penchant for fiction, he notes that the journalist's first ambition was to be a novelist. And the idea for the book All the President's Men, he reports, originated with Robert Redford, who was looking ahead to a feature film.<br><br>Especially damaging is Havill's evidence that the alleged source Deep Throat could not have had the view of Woodward's apartment described in All the President's Men. After recounting Woodward's published version of how he supposedly communicated clandestinely with Deep Throat, Havill writes: "This author has been on every floor of 1718 P Street, N.W. -- Bob's former apartment building -- and has been inside Bob's sixth-floor apartment and has stood in the courtyard several times. He found the following discrepancies between Bob's account in All The President's Men and what was physically possible." Those discrepancies, which would take too much space to set out here, raise compelling questions about Woodward and Bernstein's veracity."<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://archives.cjr.org/year/93/5/books-havill.asp">archives.cjr.org/year/93/...havill.asp</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Bernstein

Postby jingofever » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:34 am

Are you saying that Berstein doesn't know that Felt wasn't Deep Throat? Was Bernstein ever with Woodward when he had his meetings with Deep Throat? It has been a while since I read All The President's Men. <p></p><i></i>
jingofever

Supposedly Bernstein and Ben Bradlee...

Postby banned » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:47 am

...knew but never met DP, only Woodward did.<br><br>I saw an interview with Woodstein after the Felt story broke and Carl seemed uncomfortable, I wondered what pressure they put on him to go along with this--probably the chance to be this hero reporter.<br><br>What's sadly ironic is that Woodstein supposedly inspired all these young people to go into investigative journalism...those who entered J school circa 1974 by now, 30 years later, would be in positions of power in the media--same people who have done nothing but truckle to BushCo. They don't even do basic Copyediting 101 factchecking let alone real investigative journalism.<br><br>Such bullshit.<br><br>All staged for our benefit.<br><br>And it goes on with Woodward's latest bullshit claim.<br><br>The war within the intel community continues. Neither side are good guys, it's bad guys vs. worse guys, but God help us if the worse guys win. <p></p><i></i>
banned

Pincus is a CIA mouthpiece...

Postby banned » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:25 am

...so looks like Pincus's CIA = bad guys, whoever Woodward is mouthpiece for = worse guys.<br><br>==<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.watchingamerica.com/eluniversalvz000009.shtml">www.watchingamerica.com/e...0009.shtml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>ETHICS<br>Woodward, Mr. Run-Amok<br><br>Just when you thought Fitzgerald was out, he pulls us back in. On Monday, "Washington Post Assistant Managing Editor Bob Woodward testified under oath Monday in the CIA leak case that a senior administration official told him about CIA operative Valerie Plame and her position at the agency nearly a month before her identity was disclosed." Woodward "refused to disclose the official's name or provide crucial details about the testimony." Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald sought testimony from Woodward after the unnamed source told Fitzgerald about the previously undisclosed conversation on November 3. Demonstrating a level of cooperation with his own newspaper reminiscent of Judy Miller, Woodward "would not answer any questions, including those not governed by his confidentiality agreement with sources." While the details of Woodward's testimony are murky, one thing is clear: Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald's investigation is far from over. Fitzgerald is still pursuing the case very actively and senior administration officials, including Karl Rove, remain in legal jeopardy.<br><br>WHITE HOUSE RULES DON'T APPLY TO ROVE: On July 11, 2005, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said "those overseeing the investigation expressed a preference to us that we not get into commenting on the investigation while it's ongoing. And that was what they requested of the White House." Apparently, Karl Rove is ignoring those orders. Rove's spokesperson, Mark Corallo, said yesterday that "Rove is not the unnamed official who told Woodward about Plame and that he did not discuss Plame with Woodward."<br><br>FORMER INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS CALL FOR ROVE'S SECURITY CLEARANCE TO BE REVOKED: Knight Ridder reports that "sixteen former CIA and military intelligence officials yesterday urged President Bush to suspend the security clearance of his top political adviser, Karl Rove." In a letter to the President, the former officials wrote: "We are asking that you immediately suspend the clearances of all White House personnel who spoke to reporters about [Wilson's] affiliation with the CIA. They have mishandled classified information and no longer deserve the level of trust required to have access to this nation's secrets." They also urged the President "to make clear that he wouldn't pardon anyone who is convicted in the outing of Wilson."<br><br>PRIOR TO DISCLOSURE, WOODWARD WAS AN AGGRESSIVE, ANTI-FITZGERALD COMMENTATOR: This is the first time Woodward has publicly disclosed his role in the leak scandal. (He didn't even tell his own editor until last month.) But that didn't stop him from taking to the airwaves to attack Patrick Fitzgerald and his investigation. He has called Fitzgerald a "junkyard-dog prosecutor." This summer on NPR, Woodward said, "When I think all of the facts come out in this case, it's going to be laughable because the consequences are not that great."<br><br>SOMETHING DOESN'T ADD UP: Bob Woodward claims that, in June of 2003, "I told Walter Pincus, a reporter at The Post, without naming my source, that I understood Wilson's wife worked at the CIA as a WMD analyst." Pincus, however, "said he does not recall Woodward telling him that." Asked about Woodward's recollection in an interview with the Post, Pincus said "Are you kidding? I certainly would have remembered that."<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
banned

AmericaBlog weighs in...

Postby banned » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:40 am

"Wednesday, November 16, 2005<br><br>Bob Woodward's explanation of why he didn't come clean with his executive editor does not add up<br>by John in DC - 11/16/2005 11:04:00 PM<br><br>1. Woodward says that when he learned Plame's name (in mid-June 2003), he was in the middle of finishing a book, and that's why he didn't want to come clean with his executive editor at the Washington Post about his involvement in the Valerie Plame affair - he was afraid of getting subpoenaed while working on the book.<br>When Woodward learned Plame's name, he told The Associated Press Wednesday, he was in the middle of finishing a book about the administration's decision to go to war in Iraq, and didn't want to be subpoenaed to testify.But no one was being subpoenaed in June 2003, no one was even talking about subpoenas at that time. Patrick Fitzgerald wasn't even appointed as special prosecutor until December 2003, and the first journalists, from NBC and Time, weren't subpoenaed until May 2004. Judy Miller wasn't subpoeaned until August 2004, and she didn't do jail time until summer 2005.<br><br>So why was Woodward afraid to come clean to his editor between June 2003 and December 2003, when PlameGate was already a massive scandal, yet before there was any talk at all of anyone being subpoenaed? Woodward's fear-of-subpoena excuse just doesn't hold water.<br><br>2. Today Woodward adds the following excuse for not coming clean:<br>"The grand jury was going and reporters were being jailed, and I hunkered down more than I usually do." Again, this is why he didn't want to fess up what he knew to his editors, fear of going to jail.<br><br>Okay, that's a seemingly honest excuse for why Woodward might have been worried once reporters started getting subpoenas in May 2004. It doesn't explain why he didn't come clean before that time. And more importantly, it doesn't explain why Woodward didn't come clean this past summer. Let me explain...<br><br>3. By July 2005, Woodward was no longer worried about possibly being jailed, in fact, he offered on Larry King Live to be jailed in place of Judith Miller. Fair enough. Maybe Woodward really had gotten over the initial fear he suffered in mid-2004, the fear that stopped him from coming clean to his exec editor back then.<br><br>But if Woodward was over his fear of facing jail-time by mid-2005, over it enough that he was willing to offer to go to jail in Judity Miller's stead, then why didn't Woodward come clean with his editor at that time? In fact, Woodward didn't come clean with his editor until just last month, October 2005, three months AFTER he offered to go to jail for Judy. So now we know that the fear-of-jail excuse doesn't hold water either.<br><br>So, basically, Woodward's explanations as to why he didn't come clean with his executive editor just don't add up.<br><br>Comments (72) | Permanent Link | <br>Español | Deutsch | Français | Italiano | Português<br><br>You are NOT on the AMERICAblog home page, <br>click here to read more posts about US Politics<br><br> <br>" <p></p><i></i>
banned

Woodward's a spook

Postby robertdreed » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:49 am

Do tell.<br><br>Actually, "spook" connotes real deep-cover skullduggery. <br><br>For the case of Woodward, I think "stooge" is more appropriate.<br><br>Telling photo: in Time/Newsweek- you know, one or tuther- where Woodward got the cover promo for one of his Official Histories, there's a picture of him interviewing George W. Bush, 43rd president of the United States, mano a mano...and Woodward's using a <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>micro-cassette recorder</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> to preserve the President's remarks for the historical record.<br><br>For maximum garbled unintelligibility, presumably.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

Re: Woodward's a spook

Postby sunny » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:59 am

Spooky skullduggery alright- this whole thing seems like a lame ploy to get Libby off the hook. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

fraudulent mythologizing

Postby robertdreed » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:23 am

As far as I'm concerned, there's no more blatant case of historical fraud in the entire realm of American Media Wonderland than Bob Woodward's status as dean of Fearless Investigative Journalists. <br><br>That guy was one of my original journalistic heroes, back when I first declared my academic major as "Journalism", in 1977. He was everyone's hero then. <br><br>These days, it isn't so much that Woodward's luster has been tarnished. It's more like Toto went and ripped the curtain off of Media Oz, and there he was with his phony crocodile smile- and, at some point later on, his matching set of unblinkable eyelids. Botox, presumably.<br><br>You know, just add Botox to Bill Casey's old recommendation of "a Valium and and old yogic breathing trick", and you can beat any polygraph or stress meter out there, eh? <p></p><i></i>
robertdreed

More Hollywood "Infotainment":

Postby anonymous » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:23 pm

FWIW, the screen credits of Alan J. Pakula, director of "All The President's Men", include:<br><br>The Pelican Brief (1993) Presumed Innocent (1990) All the President's Men (1976) <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Parallax View (1974) (Producer AND Director)</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <br><br>From the website:<br>"The Parallax View" (<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071970/):">www.imdb.com/title/tt0071970/):</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>"Trivia: The opening sequence was designed to mirror that of Robert F. Kennedy's 1968 assassination."<br><br>"Main Entry: par·al·lax: the apparent displacement or the difference in apparent direction of an object as seen from two different points not on a straight line with the object...."        <br>        <br>A biography of Pakula is available at <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001587/">www.imdb.com/name/nm0001587/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
anonymous

Bernstein and Pakula

Postby john darmy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:39 pm

At least Bernstein came through with the landmark Rolling Stone article in 1976 or so that documented the CIA's control of the mainstream media. That was one of the first exposes of Mockingbird. It's apparent that he has been silenced to some extent as a result. <br><br>All the President's Men was good entertainment, but obviously it was no more factually correct than the book. The Parallax View was important because it demonstrated that the political assassination and subsequent murders of witnesses depicted in the film resulted from a conspiracy, not just a lone nut. It stops short of the full truth, however, because it doesn't identify the secret government as the one pulling the strings. As I recall, it depicts the FBI as working to stop the organization behind the conspiracy. That's probably why he was was able to get away with making the film. <p></p><i></i>
john darmy

Paralax View

Postby heyjt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Man, the first time I saw that movie I was about 14. It was a real eye-opener. Probably Warren Beatty's best film. <br> John Darmy: I don't ever remember the FBI in the movie, just the sinister "Paralax Corporation".<br> The scene where Beatty sits in the chair and watches the "Programming" video showing scenes of family life and love with quick, suggestive shots of extreme violence cut into it was groundbreaking.<br> I had to come home from the movie theater and have a talk with my dad about it. It should be required viewing for high school kids today. I would say that movie and the movie Billy Jack had tremendous influence on me as a youth just learning about social justice. <br> Oh yeah.. I say Navel Intell would qualify Woodward as a spook also... <p></p><i></i>
heyjt

Carl Bernstein

Postby robertdreed » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:24 pm

Carl Bernstein has never to my knowledge been the problem that Bob Woodward has been, in terms of exploiting his rep in order to write Court Histories that toady to the views of Establishment Washington. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=robertdreed>robertdreed</A> at: 11/17/05 6:30 pm<br></i>
robertdreed

Re: Woodward

Postby albion » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:09 pm

Decide for yourself if Woodward's a spook, read Chapter 5 of Colodny and Getlin's "Silent Coup" online.<br><br>Ch. 5: The Woodward-Haig Connection<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nixonera.com/etexts/silentcoup/minor11.asp">www.nixonera.com/etexts/s...inor11.asp</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Read more of Silent Coup:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nixonera.com/etexts/silentcoup/contents.asp">www.nixonera.com/etexts/s...ntents.asp</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
albion

Bob Woodward

Postby starroute » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:11 pm

While at Yale, Woodward was a member of Book and Snake, a sort of second-tier Skull and Bones. (Porter Goss had been a member five years earlier.) The Yale/CIA connections go all the way back.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.umsl.edu/%7Eskthoma/offline8.htm">www.umsl.edu/%7Eskthoma/offline8.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Also according to Hougan Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward, author of All the President's Men (1974), has a strong Old Boys Network background. He is the son of a Republican judge and a Yale graduate with a stint in the Navy as a liaison officer for the Task Force 157, an Office of Naval Intelligence operation. This ONI Task Force, using the top secret SR-1 channel, coordinated communiques between the CIA, NSA, DIA, NSC, and the State Department. Most likely Woodward continued his spooky work, while writing for the Washington Post, a cover which quite frankly would be hard to beat.<br><br>Woodward himself said that "Watergate was about covert activities [which] involve the whole US intelligence community and are incredible. Deep Throat [Woodward's informant] refused to give specifics because it is against the law. 'fhe cover-up has little to do with Watergate, but was mainly to protect the covert operation." (p. 371)<br><br>"Whose covert operations?" asks Hougan. "The CIA's? Task Force 157, the FBI joint Chiefs, NSA, DIA? These were not questions that the Post was willing to raise."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.jfkmontreal.com/nixon_administration.htm">www.jfkmontreal.com/nixon...ration.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The journalistic integrity of Yale graduate Bob Woodward became tainted and comprised years later when it was revealed, by authors Len Colodny and Robert Gettlin, that prior to working at the Washington Post, Woodward had worked at the Pentagon for the Office of Naval Intelligence as a Naval Lieutenant. Silent Coup—a 1991 book by Colodny and Gettlin—reveals that in 1969, the twenty-six-year-old Lieutenant was the briefing officer for Admiral Moorer, head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who had authorized his subordinates to spy on the White House’s National Security Counsel. A briefing officer sees, hears, reads, and assimilates information from one of several sources and passes it on to more senior officers. This is a coveted position for young officers seeking career advancement. The work is often Top Secret.<br><br>Colodny and Gettlin asserted that Admiral Moorer sent Lieutenant Woodward to the basement of the White House to act as a briefer for Alexander Haig. The ramifications of this information are staggering.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Admiral Moorer, who died a couple of years ago, had his own funky connections. I'll try to dig out my notes on him later.<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=starroute>starroute</A> at: 11/17/05 2:20 pm<br></i>
starroute

Next

Return to Plame Investigation