A damn strange story

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A damn strange story

Postby sunny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Found by way of xymphora, this is the story of Eric Red, screenwriter of <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Hitcher</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, a bizarre and fatal traffic incident, subtle hints of mind control induced suicide attempts, and even an FBI agent involved in investigating Carlos Marcello! Thought you all might be interested.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.laweekly.com/ink/06/08/features-cullum.php">www.laweekly.com/ink/06/0...cullum.php</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>an excerpt:<br><br>To me, at least, the most persistent explanation is that Howell and Hauer are actually the same person, two sides of a split personality, and the film is an allegory for schizophrenia — with one side goading the other into suicide. Moments after Howell has picked him up, Hauer’s hitcher holds a knife to his throat and commands, “Say four words: ‘I-want-to-die.’” Unable to do so, Howell screams, “I don’t want to die!” and pushes his assailant out the open passenger door. Later, overcome by his circumstances, Howell holds a police revolver under his chin, but is unable to pull the trigger. As a policeman says to him, not quite able to articulate the rather squeamish strain of homoeroticism running throughout the film, or the pronounced father-son relationship that bonds them, “There’s something strange going on between the two of you; I don’t know what it is, and I don’t want to know what it is.” <br> <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: A damn strange story

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:41 pm

I caught part of the Hitcher on the other night; it was the part you excerpted when Hauer confornts the kid with the knife. The second time he tells him to repeat after him, Hauer kind of looks down as he says, "I want to die", leaving one with the impression that he's really the suicidal one.<br><br>Interesting analysis, though.. <p></p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Assassinations and Suspicious Deaths