Zapruder film bought or seized by the government?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Zapruder film bought or seized by the government?

Postby FourthBase » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:49 am

I thought that the government and Zapruder's family had negotiated a purchase for the film, for like $16 million dollars, but then I read Henry Zapruder's obituary:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-zapruderob_26met.ART.West.Edition2.18924b11.html">www.dallasnews.com/shared...24b11.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Henry Zapruder was a nationally respected tax attorney, said his son, Matthew Zapruder of New York.<br><br>"One of the very small parts of his life was that he had to do with the administration of the film for a while," his son said. "He was responsible for dealing with the film <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>until the government seized it by eminent domain</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> several years ago.<br><br>"He administered it with extraordinary delicacy and he never allowed commercial use of the film, only artistic or research use," his son said. "It was never on any T-shirts or anything. He was very sensitive and kind of low-keyed about it."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Did I have things confused before?<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=fourthbase>FourthBase</A> at: 2/12/06 2:49 am<br></i>
FourthBase

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Zapruder film bought or seized by the government?

Postby FourthBase » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:21 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapruder_film">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapruder_film</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>In 1998, the original film was <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>purchased by the United States government under the doctrine of eminent domain</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, and Zapruder's heirs sued to increase the amount paid for it to $16,000,000. The Zapruder family still retains all showing rights to the film. The Zapruder family at that time also donated one of the copies and various LIFE photo prints to the Sixth Floor Museum in what used to be the Texas School Book Depository building.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I guess it's not a big revelation.<br>But I'd definitely never realized the "seizing" dynamic before. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Re: Zapruder film bought or seized by the government?

Postby FourthBase » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 am

I was just reading through some of Fetzer's arguments for it being forged, and I have to say I'm impressed. Then I read a little about the history of the film and the fight over its copyright, and I have to say that I'm disturbed by the Zapruder family. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Return to Assassinations and Suspicious Deaths