Just blowing off a little steam...violently

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Just blowing off a little steam...violently

Postby chiggerbit » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:29 pm

What is happening in this country that so many people think they are entitled to let off a little steam so violently? Maybe "letting off a little steam' isn't quite exactly a quote of Rush Limbo's excuse for what happened at Abu Ghraib, but it's close. I blame that mindset, and the one espoused by Coulter and by Pat Robertson and by Paul Harvey for this upswing in horrific violence. The latest happened five miles from where I live. Both parents and three sisters killed, allegedly by the girls older half-brother. So mind-numbing.<br><br>This is such a small county, under 8,000, terribly rural, and there isn't a stoplight in the entire county. The "sticks" was a word invented for a county like this. Drivers wave at every passing motorist, whether it's on the dusty white gravel roads or the highways . If one of the drivers doesn't wave back, it's because they're outsiders, don't know better. When a family has trouble, the neighborhood pitches in and helps. People watch out for the neighborhood kids. How did this one slip through that neighborhood network? <br><br>No longer will I ever think that these things happen in the South or in metropolitan areas. <br><br>(Ok, looked up Rush's quote, and it was "blowing off a little steam.")<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061015/NEWS01/61015007">www.desmoinesregister.com...1/61015007</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Keosauqua, Ia. — The youngest sister of Shawn Bentler, the man accused of killing five members of his family, made a 911 call Saturday morning that ended with the words, “Shawn, no!’’<br><br>Shayne Bentler, 14, called the Van Buren County Sheriff’s emergency dispatch at 3:38 a.m., according to an Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation affidavit released Sunday afternoon.<br><br>Shayne told the dispatcher her brother “was going to do something,’’ state Department of Investigation special agent Jeff Uhlmeyer wrote.<br><br>The girl went on to tell operator that her mother was saying, “No Shawn, don’t do it.’’<br><br>“A sound is then heard in the back ground consistent with a single gunshot,’’ the report states. That call ended with the caller screaming, ‘Shawn, no!’ just before the line went dead.<br><br>James Saunders, an Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation spokesman, said it was later determined by investigators that Shayne Bentler made the 3:38 call. She was the youngest daughter of Michael and Sandra Bentler, who were found dead Saturday morning in the Bonaparte home with their daughters, Sheena, Shelby and Shayne.<br><br>Shawn Bentler, the 22-year-old son of Michael and Sandra Bentler, faces five counts of first degree murder. He is being held on $2.5 million bond in Adams County, Ill., where he was arrested at his home at 10:30 Saturday morning.<br><br>A second phone call from Sandra Bentler’s cell phone was made to the Van Buren County dispatcher while Shayne was on the line. But that call was not answered, authorities said. When the dispatcher tried to call both phones back there was no answer.<br><br>Sheriff's deputy Rob Caviness and two other deputies answered the 911 call about 15 minutes later, Saunders said. Caviness looked into the upstairs sliding glass door and saw a body on the floor, investigators said.<br><br>The deputies entered the home. Deputy Brad Hudson, who knew the family, was able to identify the bodies. The wounds on all the bodies were consistent with gunshot wounds, authorities said. Hudson also reported that he saw spent shell casings throughout the home. Authorities would not identify the weapon used in the shootings.<br><br>Medical examiner Dr. Laura Hadden pronounced all the victims dead at the scene.<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 10/15/06 6:50 pm<br></i>
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Just blowing off a little steam...violently

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:32 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> What is happening in this country that so many people think they are entitled to let off a little steam so violently?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>There are a lot of walking wounded in this country and media images of violence cause some imitation due to our mirror neurons role in image-conditioning as a survival tool. We tend to imitate the people and the images of people we see.<br><br>With TV and movie 'atrocity as a rollercoaster ride'-style imagery as a huge business, our culture has institutionalized and thus sanctioned atrocity as a common expression of empowerment using image-conditioning, mental rehearsal, just plain old showing the how-to mechanics of committing atrocities depicted thousands of times per viewer life, especially during childhood. <br><br>That has to have a strong effect on lots of people who just vote their anxieties, the 'law and order' vote.<br><br>Which begs the question whether the latest series of shootings might have been started rolling like a snowball downhill for the election season back there somewhere? Just curious... <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

I suspect SSRI's in most of these cases

Postby Seventhsonjr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:41 pm

having seen first hand how damaging they are to a person's spirit and heart.<br><br>Prozac et al very frequently reduce inhibitions to manic acts of all sorts.<br><br>It is a common side efect that comes, at least in part, from the fact that real life just isn't good enough any more ("feelin' kinda shitty so maybe I'll feel better if I watch some people suffer"-syndrome)<br><br>Abby Hoffman's "suicide"<br><br>The Columbine shooters.<br><br>I can give y'all lists and links.<br><br>But those SSRI's can be killers. And that is not the only scary behavior they produce as a side effect.<br><br>I would bet that almost all of these killings recently, the school shootings especially, are related to pharmaceutical antidepressants gone wild...<br><br>Yahoo<br><br>Try googling prozac, mania, suicide and/or homicide and see whatcha get.<br><br>Yeah yeah the pharmaceutical industry and AMA say the multi-billion dollar drug is nifty and saves lives. But it can ruin them too. <p></p><i></i>
Seventhsonjr

Re: I suspect SSRI's in most of these cases

Postby Seventhsonjr » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:45 pm

just fyi fer example -<br><br> <br> Title: THE SHOOTING DRUGS --<br> PROZAC and its Generation<br> EXPOSED on the Internet<br><br>Author: Donna Smart<br>Published: 2000, Revised Printing 2004<br>Publisher: PRI Publishing<br>ISBN # : YES, on back cover<br>Pages: 373 pages, articles, chat, confess.<br>Binding: Perfect bound, glossy soft cover<br><br>Classification: <br>Prescription Drug abuse, Prozac - fluoxetine, SSRI drugs; killing, suicide, depression, clinical symptoms; FDA and Drug company coverups; Internet chat, personal confessions, alternative medicine, public action.<br><br>Library of Congress In Catalog Publication Data: <br>YES, on credits page <br> <br>Publisher's List Price: $ 19.95<br>TrueBooks Sales Price: $ 15.95<br>Current Availability: IN STOCK<br><br> <br> <br>SUMMARY:<br><br>This book shows how Prozac and related SSRI antidepressant drugs have been a danger to people ever since 1987, when Prozac was first introduced. The author was prescribed Prozac the following year, and barely escaped with her own life, from the nightmarish ordeal of having your mind so badly warped that you lose all perspective of reality and intrinsic moral values.<br><br>This book is coldly factual, well documented, yet profoundly moving, motivating, and perceptive. In summarizing all the high-profile killings, murders and suicides in the past 16 years from Prozac and related SSRIs, it is a definitive witness as to how pharmaceutical companies kept crucial data about the dangerous side effects of SSRIs under cover all along. It clearly exposes their sinister coverup.<br><br>Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Serzone, Luvox, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, and even Ritalin (amphetamine for kids) have cropped up at the crime scenes of so many school shootings, suicides, workplace massacres and other callous killings, that NO ONE can deny the truth any longer:<br><br>SSRI drugs actually cause people to kill, without feeling remorse, often with a smile, saying: "Sorry, but you deserve it." This horrible truth is HARD to accept, especially for the news media, and the few people who may benefit from them.<br><br>With the recent California shootings echoing those earlier horrific massacres at Columbine, Jonesboro and other places, it is now more urgent than ever to get the terrible truth about these drugs out to the public. Everyone needs to know what SSRIs do to normal minds -- children and adults -- how the drugs destroy ethical beliefs and twist moral values, to where many SSRI users convince themselves it is "fun", or "just retribution", to go out and slaughter people. <br> <p></p><i></i>
Seventhsonjr

Postby Wolfmoon Lady » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:12 am

((((((Chigger)))))<br><br>This kind of news sucks. I'm very sorry to hear about it.<br><br>I am not sure if we can say this is due to the Ann Coulters and Rush Limbaughs, although my neo-con sister, after becoming a Coulter fan, began to express herself in similarly abusive fashion, and saw no problem in Coulter's fantasizing about "killing the Liberals." Sis and I don't speak, as I've said here before. I can't trust her not to explode in rage over the slightest thing. She was always highly strung, but after 9/11, and her conversion to Bush-worshipper, she's another animal.<br><br>So, I'd agree that the relentless hammering of three penny nail rhetoric a la Coulter and Limbaugh into the smushy cork board of popular culture certainly has changed the way people communicate with one another. But murder? I think it's way worse. It's global. It's not just humans.<br><br>Check it out --<br><br>I just finished reading a journal article about the rise in violence in elephant populations - the young bulls are even raping rhinos. Horrific stuff. I found this subject matter so distressing I've been trying to put together a blogpost on the phenomenon. Either that, or do some more research. Mostly, I just want to alert people to what's going on. I first heard about it on my anthro - list.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/08/magazine/08elephant.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all" target="top">An Elephant Crackup?</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <br>By CHARLES SIEBERT<br>Published: October 8, 2006<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>All across Africa, India and parts of Southeast Asia, from within and around whatever patches and corridors of their natural habitat remain, elephants have been striking out, destroying villages and crops, attacking and killing human beings. In fact, these attacks have become so commonplace that a new statistical category, known as Human-Elephant Conflict, or H.E.C., was created by elephant researchers in the mid-1990’s to monitor the problem. In the Indian state of Jharkhand near the western border of Bangladesh, 300 people were killed by elephants between 2000 and 2004. In the past 12 years, elephants have killed 605 people in Assam, a state in northeastern India, 239 of them since 2001; 265 elephants have died in that same period, the majority of them as a result of retaliation by angry villagers, who have used everything from poison-tipped arrows to laced food to exact their revenge. In Africa, reports of human-elephant conflicts appear almost daily, from Zambia to Tanzania, from Uganda to Sierra Leone, where 300 villagers evacuated their homes last year because of unprovoked elephant attacks. <br><br>Still, it is not only the increasing number of these incidents that is causing alarm but also the singular perversity — for want of a less anthropocentric term — of recent elephant aggression. Since the early 1990’s, for example, young male elephants in Pilanesberg National Park and the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve in South Africa have been raping and killing rhinoceroses; this abnormal behavior, according to a 2001 study in the journal Pachyderm, has been reported in ‘‘a number of reserves’’ in the region. In July of last year, officials in Pilanesberg shot three young male elephants who were responsible for the killings of 63 rhinos, as well as attacks on people in safari vehicles. In Addo Elephant National Park, also in South Africa, up to 90 percent of male elephant deaths are now attributable to other male elephants, compared with a rate of 6 percent in more stable elephant communities. <br><br>In a coming book on this phenomenon, Gay Bradshaw, a psychologist at the environmental-sciences program at Oregon State University, notes that in India, where the elephant has long been regarded as a deity, a recent headline in a leading newspaper warned, ‘‘To Avoid Confrontation, Don’t Worship Elephants.’’ ‘‘Everybody pretty much agrees that the relationship between elephants and people has dramatically changed,’’ Bradshaw told me recently. ‘‘What we are seeing today is extraordinary. Where for centuries humans and elephants lived in relatively peaceful coexistence, there is now hostility and violence. Now, I use the term ‘violence’ because of the intentionality associated with it, both in the aggression of humans and, at times, the recently observed behavior of elephants.’’ <br><br>For a number of biologists and ethologists who have spent their careers studying elephant behavior, the attacks have become so abnormal in both number and kind that they can no longer be attributed entirely to the customary factors. Typically, elephant researchers have cited, as a cause of aggression, the high levels of testosterone in newly matured male elephants or the competition for land and resources between elephants and humans. But in ‘‘Elephant Breakdown,’’ a 2005 essay in the journal Nature, Bradshaw and several colleagues argued that today’s elephant populations are suffering from a form of chronic stress, a kind of species-wide trauma. Decades of poaching and culling and habitat loss, they claim, have so disrupted the intricate web of familial and societal relations by which young elephants have traditionally been raised in the wild, and by which established elephant herds are governed, that what we are now witnessing is nothing less than a precipitous collapse of elephant culture. <br><br>It has long been apparent that every large, land-based animal on this planet is ultimately fighting a losing battle with humankind. And yet entirely befitting of an animal with such a highly developed sensibility, a deep-rooted sense of family and, yes, such a good long-term memory, the elephant is not going out quietly. It is not leaving without making some kind of statement, one to which scientists from a variety of disciplines, including human psychology, are now beginning to pay close attention. *snip*<br><br>Three years ago, Gay Bradshaw, then working on her graduate degree in psychology at Pacifica Graduate Institute outside Santa Barbara, Calif., began wondering much the same thing: was the extraordinary behavior of elephants in Africa and Asia signaling a breaking point? With the assistance of several established African-elephant researchers, including Daphne Sheldrick and Cynthia Moss, and with the help of Allan Schore, an expert on human trauma disorders at the department of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at U.C.L.A., Bradshaw sought to combine traditional research into elephant behavior with insights about trauma drawn from human neuroscience. Using the few remaining relatively stable elephant herds in places like Amboseli National Park in Kenya as control groups, Bradshaw and her colleagues analyzed the far more fractious populations found in places like Pilanesberg in South Africa and Queen Elizabeth National Park in Uganda. What emerged was a portrait of pervasive pachyderm dysfunction. <br><br>Elephants, when left to their own devices, are profoundly social creatures. A herd of them is, in essence, one incomprehensibly massive elephant: a somewhat loosely bound and yet intricately interconnected, tensile organism. Young elephants are raised within an extended, multitiered network of doting female caregivers that includes the birth mother, grandmothers, aunts and friends. These relations are maintained over a life span as long as 70 years. Studies of established herds have shown that young elephants stay within 15 feet of their mothers for nearly all of their first eight years of life, after which young females are socialized into the matriarchal network, while young males go off for a time into an all-male social group before coming back into the fold as mature adults. <br><br>When an elephant dies, its family members engage in intense mourning and burial rituals, conducting weeklong vigils over the body, carefully covering it with earth and brush, revisiting the bones for years afterward, caressing the bones with their trunks, often taking turns rubbing their trunks along the teeth of a skull’s lower jaw, the way living elephants do in greeting. If harm comes to a member of an elephant group, all the other elephants are aware of it. This sense of cohesion is further enforced by the elaborate communication system that elephants use. In close proximity they employ a range of vocalizations, from low-frequency rumbles to higher-pitched screams and trumpets, along with a variety of visual signals, from the waving of their trunks to subtle anglings of the head, body, feet and tail. When communicating over long distances — in order to pass along, for example, news about imminent threats, a sudden change of plans or, of the utmost importance to elephants, the death of a community member — they use patterns of subsonic vibrations that are felt as far as several miles away by exquisitely tuned sensors in the padding of their feet. <br><br>This fabric of elephant society, Bradshaw and her colleagues concluded, had effectively been frayed by years of habitat loss and poaching, along with systematic culling by government agencies to control elephant numbers and translocations of herds to different habitats. The number of older matriarchs and female caregivers (or ‘‘allomothers’’) had drastically fallen, as had the number of elder bulls, who play a significant role in keeping younger males in line. In parts of Zambia and Tanzania, a number of the elephant groups studied contained no adult females whatsoever. In Uganda, herds were often found to be ‘‘semipermanent aggregations,’’ as a paper written by Bradshaw describes them, with many females between the ages of 15 and 25 having no familial associations. <br><br>As a result of such social upheaval, calves are now being born to and raised by ever younger and inexperienced mothers. Young orphaned elephants, meanwhile, that have witnessed the death of a parent at the hands of poachers are coming of age in the absence of the support system that defines traditional elephant life. ‘‘The loss of elephant elders,’’ Bradshaw told me, ‘‘and the traumatic experience of witnessing the massacres of their family, impairs normal brain and behavior development in young elephants.’’ <br><br>What Bradshaw and her colleagues describe would seem to be an extreme form of anthropocentric conjecture if the evidence that they’ve compiled from various elephant resesarchers, even on the strictly observational level, weren’t so compelling. The elephants of decimated herds, especially orphans who’ve watched the death of their parents and elders from poaching and culling, exhibit behavior typically associated with post-traumatic stress disorder and other trauma-related disorders in humans: abnormal startle response, unpredictable asocial behavior, inattentive mothering and hyperaggression. Studies of the various assaults on the rhinos in South Africa, meanwhile, have determined that the perpetrators were in all cases adolescent males that had witnessed their families being shot down in cullings. It was common for these elephants to have been tethered to the bodies of their dead and dying relatives until they could be rounded up for translocation to, as Bradshaw and Schore describe them, ‘‘locales lacking traditional social hierarchy of older bulls and intact natal family structures.’’ <br><br>In fact, even the relatively few attempts that park officials have made to restore parts of the social fabric of elephant society have lent substance to the elephant-breakdown theory. When South African park rangers recently introduced a number of older bull elephants into several destabilized elephant herds in Pilanesburg and Addo, the wayward behavior — including unusually premature hormonal changes among the adolescent elephants — abated.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br>Here's the pdf file link to the research published in Nature, cited in Siebert's NY Times article:<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.elephants.com/pdf/PTSD.pdf" target="top">Elephant breakdown</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>G. A. BRADSHAW, ALLAN N. SCHORE, JANINE L. BROWN, JOYCE H. POOLE & CYNTHIAJ. MOSS<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Social trauma: early disruption of attachment can affect the physiology, behaviour and culture of animals and humans over generations.<br><br>The air explodes with the sound of high-powered rifles and the startled infant watches his family fall to the ground, the image seared into his memory. He and other orphans are then<br>transported to distant locales to start new lives. Ten years later, the teenaged orphans begin a killing rampage, leaving more than a hundred victims.<br><br>A scene describing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in Kosovo or Rwanda? The similarities are striking - but here, the teenagers are young elephants and the victims, rhinoceroses. In the past, animal studies have been used to make inferences about human behaviour. Now, studies of human PTSD can be instructive in understanding how violence<br>also affects elephant culture.<br><br>Psychobiological trauma in humans is increasingly encountered as a legacy of war and socioecological disruptions. Trauma affects society directly through an individual's experience,<br>and indirectly through social transmission and the collapse of traditional social structures.<br><br>Long-term studies show that although many individuals survive, they may face a lifelong struggle with depression, suicide or behavioural dysfunctions. In addition, their children and families can exhibit similar symptoms, including domestic violence. Trauma can define a culture.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
Wolfmoon Lady

Postby postrchild » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:12 pm

BRINGS A TEAR TO MY EYE.....TRULY TERRIBLE! This reaffirms my lack of faith in humanity. <p></p><i></i>
postrchild

Postby professorpan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:17 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>BRINGS A TEAR TO MY EYE.....TRULY TERRIBLE! This reaffirms my lack of faith in humanity.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Don't lose faith. Most human beings are good. <br><br>Despair is deadly. Dwelling on the gloom and doom, as we tend to do here, needs to be balanced with experiencing love, beauty, art, and spending time with friends and loved ones.<br><br>Keep the faith. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby postrchild » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:58 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Keep the faith. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Kinda hard these days Prof........My version of cheering up my neigbor these days is just keeping my "doom and gloom" to myself. <p></p><i></i>
postrchild

Just strengthening the web of support and care...lovingly

Postby Avalon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:36 pm

That elephant news is so very sad and disturbing.<br><br>You know how much having one person be mean or thoughtless to you in person can affect your day. You know how access to the sort of horrible, disheartening news we can find on TV or the net 24/7 can sink you into a morass of hopelessness. We can't ignore it, becasue we need to know it and understand it in self defense. You can bet that even those snotty little interchanges of "Kettle. Black" on forums lead more to "blowing off steam" than singing "I'm a little teapot."<br><br>For every "ain't it awful" website you visit, find websites about what matters to you, and see how people are being empowered to make change for the better -- for themselves, for their communities, on a local, national and global scale. See what's working. Help to strengthen it.<br><br>You've got to make that commitment to strengthening the web of support and care and community wherever and whenever you can. You don't have to wait for the feeling of love to propel you. Madeleine L'Engle once talked about how love is not just a feeling, it can be a policy. You know that kindness and care and nurturing can be passed on, and that their transmission can be a powerful agent for change. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Postby postrchild » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:36 pm

well thats the problem these days.....there is NO empowerment other than a donation....I am tired of sending money....you never KNOW that it goes where youre sending it, no strike that, you never know that it goes to <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>WHAT</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> exactly youre sending it for.... <p></p><i></i>
postrchild

Re: Just strengthening the web of support and care...lovingl

Postby professorpan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:25 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>You've got to make that commitment to strengthening the web of support and care and community wherever and whenever you can. You don't have to wait for the feeling of love to propel you. Madeleine L'Engle once talked about how love is not just a feeling, it can be a policy. You know that kindness and care and nurturing can be passed on, and that their transmission can be a powerful agent for change. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Word. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Re: Just strengthening the web of support and care...lovingl

Postby Avalon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:56 pm

Here's something I recently encountered:<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Frederick Turner, scholar, poet, critic, has made a career of restoring meaning. He too was on this panel, and his perspective on the marketplace was unambiguously celebratory. There is no natural tension between art and the market, he argued, because if the former is spiritual, the latter is moral. "The deep vocabulary of the market," he offered, "is the vocabulary of the morality of human interaction." He had an array of examples. "The words of the market are: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>trust, grace, redemption, good, bond, interest, honor, obligation; all of those words refer to some of our basic moral activities as social beings</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->." The restoration of art's social role, he suggested, would hinge on the understanding of the meaning of exchange itself, no matter the market. "Are there ways of reshaping, reconceiving the market in such a way that the hidden metaphorical meaning could come out again?" he asked.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1568/is_n3_v29/ai_20150668">findarticles.com/p/articl...i_20150668</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>well thats the problem these days.....there is NO empowerment other than a donation....</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Maybe you need to look deeper into "at a distance" service to find ones where there is less administration eating up dollars and fewer steps between you and ones the money could help. <br><br>Or maybe you need to look closer to home, to find something that desperately needs your face-to-face contact.<br><br>What do you have to offer? Skills, interests, or just being the warm body that can pitch in that is sometimes needed in your community? Who is just hanging on by their fingernails who desperately needs to be told they are doing a good job? Who needs a kindness, or a helping hand?<br><br>We are in the midst of hard times now for many of us (and I mean not just people, but flora and fauna as well), and times may get harder. If nothing else, our integration into our communities, in the web of interdependency, may be a wealth that eclipses all others.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Re: Elephants and Love

Postby Wolfmoon Lady » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:29 pm

Avalon,<br><br>Echoing Pan: WORD!<br><br>For every sad and terrible story about anything there is a opposite story. Every single day there are ongoing miracles, brought about by courage, selflessness, and love. These miracles happen when we care for others, and lend our support, whether the recipients are human or animal.<br><br>Take the elephants, for example. There is a wonderful place in Tennessee, The Elephant Sanctuary, that cares for sick, old, orphaned and abused elephants. This is a very worthy cause, imho. At Yule, I often recommend that folks send donations to places like this, in lieu of material gifts. If you really want something to wrap up and put under someone's Christmas Tree, you can purchase items from their gift store. Proceeds go for elephant upkeep and educational efforts. You can even "sponsor" an elephant, as well, at cost levels from $15.00 on up. <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.elephants.com/">www.elephants.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Check out their <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.elephants.com/photo.htm" target="top">photo gallery</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> if you want to feel uplifted.<br><br>While I'm at it -- I'll mention the Best Friends Animal Society, a Utah organization that recently airlifted 300 animals from the overloaded and nearly destroyed Beirut Humane Society. People fleeing the bombs could not take their pets, so the shelter was overflowing. Visit them: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.bestfriends.org/" target="top">www.bestfriends.org/</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br><br>Last, but by no means least, remember Katrina? Well, there's an overpopulation of animals along the Gulf Coast. Get info on how to help at <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.hsus.org/" target="top">HSUS</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> - they publish a wonderfully informative weekly newsletter on animals rights efforts that I've subscribed to for years. You can even volunteer for the Humane Society's National Disaster Animal Response Team (<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.ndart.org/" target="top">N-DART</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->).<br><br>If you feel overwhelmed by the negative, by all means, do something positive. Get informed and get involved - particularly for the sake of the helpless creatures who get left behind when disaster strikes. For those who have NO voice, I am asking: Please. Help.<br><br>Thanking you all,<br>Wolfmoon Lady <p></p><i></i>
Wolfmoon Lady

Postby chiggerbit » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:41 pm

I ran into town yesterday to pick up a couple things. There was an annual forest festival going on in the area this weekend. What struck me was how audibly quiet everyone was, compared to normal, local and others. There were plenty of people around, they just weren't talking much, quiet, like this had taken the wind out of everybody's sails.<br><br>posterchild, don't despair. Save it for when and if people stop being shocked by events like this. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby pepsified thinker » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:46 am

Ok--I hope this doesn't come across as too...well...you know--it's not the stuff that RI is all about. (Or maybe it is--it's what we all wish for?)<br><br>Anyway--<br><br>This site gives something of an antidote for news stories that 'get you down'. Some of it's stories are better than others. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://heroicstories.com/">heroicstories.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
pepsified thinker

Next

Return to Assassinations and Suspicious Deaths