Internal memos show oil companies limited refineries

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby wintler » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:47 pm

Time wont let me get really stuck into the Starman-Human discussion, can only respond to Human's post to me.<br><br>>Human wrote: if it was about depletion, wouldnt it essentiall be about running out of ALL oil? <br><br>w: No, you might want to loook up the definition of depletion. As every and any peak oil text will tell you, and i've repeated a number of times, its about running out of cheap, easy to extract oil. I thought you said you had 'read all the material'?<br><br>Can't you see a difference between more and more oil every year (oil supply to date, roughly speaking) and (post peak) less and less oil every year? In the former case even the poor can afford this precipous resource, in the latter 'market forces' push the price so high only the rich can afford it. <br><br>To see this in action, check out current news from Nicaragua, Cuba, Yemen, the Phillipenes, where price is withdrawing oil supply from poor people who previously could afford it. <br><br>>"human" wrote: ...and if its running out of "affordable" oil, wouldnt gouging, the oil companies lying basically, be a indication that they are unreliable considering the consequences of "peak oil" especially if "peak oil" is about running out of "cheap oil"??<br><br>W: No, again i repeat myself, because the retail gasoline gouging (what the oils co's appear to be doing by not building refineries in US) proves nothing either way, could (probably would) be happening either way. <br><br>>"human" wrote: ...arent you basically saying that the companies are engineering "peak oil" and it doesnt matter? <br>W: Again, NO, i'm not saying that. Quote me.<br><br>>"human" wrote: ...isnt that a weird position to take? considering we are talking abot the collapse of civilization (as we know it)? <br>W: Err, you might be tantilising yourself with that prospect, i never mentioned it. <br><br>The idea that peak oil is false because its causes fear is really dangerous, presumably we shouldn't believe in child abuse for the same reason. <br><br>'Forgetting' about resource depletion would be par for the course for a civilisation hell bent on MORE. Suggesting we can free overselves without kicking the core drug of us white western middle managers of Empire is also ridiculous. Even if you depose the neocon cabal you'll be bombing Iraq the next day to get your gasoline fix, theres no progress there.<br><br>"human" wrote (in response to starman): what i am saying is that it is a engineered crisis by a well organized military-industrial-scientific complex, and that no scientific data or facts and figres can convince me otherwise.<br>W:Well if evidence doesn't interest you theres nothing to talk about.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
wintler

Blog: View Blog (0)

oh well, again this discssion goes nowhere...

Postby human » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:10 pm

ive come to the conclusion that peak-oilers are no more rational than apocolyptic christians.<br><br>civilization WILL collapse, because you read it in a book...<br><br><br>shit, at least the Bible is "Gods" word....<br><br>yall are worshipping pseudo science.<br><br><br>i guess there really is nothing TO debate. Christ will return, and the wells will run dry.....<br><br>one<br>human? <p></p><i></i>
human

Re: oh well, again this discussion goes nowhere...

Postby Prac » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:05 pm

And that is precisely what the PsyOp is intended to do...<br> <p></p><i></i>
Prac

Postby wintler » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:08 pm

No, not cos 'i read it in a book', but because i have <br><br>-have studied in detail the USGS 2000 forecast of future oil discovery, the one 'growth is god' governments always refer to & the one Icke, 'human', proldic & others functionally support with their unevidenced scepticism of depletion concerns) <br><br>-read many directly relevant books, <br><br>-compared IEA, BP & the Oil & Gas Journal data on discoveries, production and reserves, <br><br>-actively participated in the Energyresources, runningonempty2, dieoffQ&A and roeoz elists & peakoil.com discussion board (over last ~4 years)<br>-personally interviewed Samsam Bhaktiari (exVP of Iranian National Oil Co) <br><br>-..and as a contributing editor on energybulletin.net (2+ years) have corresponded with many of the 'fakes' (as proldic alleges), all of whom showed far more scholarship, courtesy and humanity (even the 'free energy' fans!) than i've as yet encountered on this board.<br><br><br>If any doubters want to finally get around to debating the EVIDENCE, instead of playing personalities and imagining motives and outcomes to give themselves a thrill, i'm still willing. <br>But more garbled rhetoric, i will ignore.<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
wintler

lol

Postby human » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:26 pm

um, yeah....<br><br>sounds like youve surrounded yourself with people who agree with you in order to justify what you believe, which is fine, if it wasnt mass genocide we are talking about....<br><br><br><br>depletion concerns are only concerns if you want to kill tons of people.<br><br><br><br><br><br>ive said all along, getting off oil should be our #1 energy priority........<br><br><br>not cause its running out (or running low, or not cheap or whatever our version of peak oil is) but because oil sucks as a energy source........<br><br>fuck depletion. for gods sake isnt the environmental catastrophe weve unleashed plus the extreme econiomic inequity enough for you doomsday fanatics to push for alternative energy????<br><br><br>anyways, im glad you get it Prac...... i think many people do..... they just arent quite as loud as those who are excited about ushering in armageddon.....<br><br><br><br>so sorry wintler, ill change "read it in a book" to "read it in a bunch of books and online too!!!"<br><br><br>one<br>human?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
human

-Pseudo Science and other feel-good 'logic'

Postby Starman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:37 pm

>Human wrote: if it was about depletion, wouldnt it essentiall be about running out of ALL oil? <br><br>Wintler said:<br>w: No, you might want to loook up the definition of depletion. As every and any peak oil text will tell you, and i've repeated a number of times, its about running out of cheap, easy to extract oil. I thought you said you had 'read all the material'?<br><br>BINGO;<br>I thought as much. This is what I meant in saying one can't very well debate something when the other person doesn't understand what they think they are disagreeing with.<br><br>It's like an astonomer and astologer debating cosmology.<br><br><br>Wintler said:<br>'Forgetting' about resource depletion would be par for the course for a civilisation hell bent on MORE. Suggesting we can free overselves without kicking the core drug of us white western middle managers of Empire is also ridiculous. Even if you depose the neocon cabal you'll be bombing Iraq the next day to get your gasoline fix, theres no progress there.<br>*****<br><br>WELL damn-said there.<br><br><br>"human" wrote (in response to starman): what i am saying is that it is a engineered crisis by a well organized military-industrial-scientific complex, and that no scientific data or facts and figres can convince me otherwise.<br>****<br><br>So, THAT'S what you really meant all along, Human -- That's what I thought, but I gave you the benefit of doubt anyway. Your criteria for judging the relevancy and meaning of the Peak Oil theory consists of how you FEEL about it. Scientific evidence and facts just don't count.<br><br>No wonder you said:<br>"i guess there really is nothing TO debate. Christ will return, and the wells will run dry..... "<br><br>Christ, but you're so perplexing. You said you read the information and understood Peak Oil -- But you keep saying things that don't have ANYTHING to do with Peak Oil. One of the most basic principles, which Wintler repeated, was that Peak Oil is NOT 'about' running out of oil.<br><br>This is of major importance, so it bears repeating.<br><br>Peak Oil is NOT about running out of oil.<br><br>I think a number of people here have really tried to show you how your standards for dismissing Peak Oil as wrong<br>and worse than useless, even damaging to the effort to reform society and implement desperately-needed changes, are deeply flawed.<br><br>Since you're philosophically resistant to evidence based on scientific reason and facts, the only things you can bring to a sincere debate is passion (ie., intensity), faith and feeling.<br><br>BUT -- You seem harshly intolerant of other people's passionate intensity in discussing what THEY see as important considerations. So, it seems you aren't being consistent in extending the same value of emotionally-weighted terms that you depend on to argue your point.<br><br>But as far as that goes -- Why do you insist that YOUR emotional-judgement that Peak Oil is wrong because some people fear it trump MY emotional-judgement that America's Peak Oil business-as-usual is 'wrong'? You feel Peak Oil is wrong because it's 'fearful', while I think Peak Oil is 'right' because I'm so deeply offended by the social and economic consequences resulting from our 'leaders' failure to properly understand what it means and take active steps to prevent the catastrophe that will occur if we don't plan accordingly. In both cases, our given 'reason' for feeling we're right is based on a common sense of 'decency'. <br><br>But where you and I have a real difference of opinion is in how much 'weight' our feelings have (or should have)in judging whether something is right or wrong. <br><br>My 'belief' involves the compelling reason that Peak Oil correctly predicts past and present energy-policy actions by oil-energy producers, reflecting the view that oil resources are reaching the conditions of inherant limitation. <br><br>What I don't understand is, given your avowed emphasis on feelings as a primary crieria to judge the relative truth of Peak Oil, why you don't weight the past and actual costs of human suffering as more compelling than some abstract 'potential' future suffering -- as I have enormous contempt for America's legacy of incredible pain, suffering, horror, injustice, brutality, human-rights abuses and mass-murder resulting from America's blase and unexamined 'right' to unlimited access to cheap and abundant oil. By claiming Peak Oil is 'wrong', you are ignoring the significance and implications of Peak Oil as being of key relevance to America's hegemonic Imperialism, and essentially endorsing America's reckless and profligate exploitation of cheap oil to fuel the engine of NWO Military Empire.<br><br>To return to your closing dismissal:<br>"ive come to the conclusion that peak-oilers are no more rational than apocolyptic christians."<br><br>This is a FINE example of inconsistency and self-contradiction -- YOU are the one who appealed to faith and repudiated the value of scientific reason and facts --just as the apocolyptic christians. You just can't or won't grasp that Peak Oil is NOT about predicting apocalypse -- that's the prediction, supported by observation and analysis by such peak Oil populuzers as Ruppert who conclude that UNLESS our political and industry and financial 'leaders' wake-up in time and begin to effect much-needed change, will most likley happen --You seem to be unable to detach Peak Oil theory from socioeconomic analysis -- this again suggests you HAVEN'T done your basic homework.<br><br>"civilization WILL collapse, because you read it in a book... "<br><br>Again, you are making unwarranted deductions and specious characterizations of Peak Oil that are NOT part of the hypothesis. I don't even know what 'book' you are talking about. The Bible? Given the current trend of an out-of-control war-bent corporatocracy, I think major global crisis is very, very possible. The cause will be greatly aggravated by 'leaders' failure to take Peak Oil seriously. Is this notion of your unwitting complicity by refusing to consider that Peak Oil may be true, thus resisting the imperative to apply the critical lessons of limits to unrestrained dependency on cheap oil, what drives your unreasoning passion?<br><br>"shit, at least the Bible is "Gods" word.... "<br>Shit, if 'You' say so ...<br><br>"yall are worshipping pseudo science."<br><br>And you're losing whatever shred of credibility you still had. This makes NO sense whatsoever; I challenge you to prove your claim.<br>HOW is a testable theory 'pseudo science'? <br>How is debate based on reason, facts, substantiated and corroborated information and evidence from a wide range of sources 'worshipping'?<br>You can't know how silly this sounds.<br><br>"i guess there really is nothing TO debate. Christ will return, and the wells will run dry....."<br><br>Peak OIl theory does NOT predict wells running dry. Long before oil wells are completely emptied, the costs and energy of extraction will exceed the value of energy recovered -- wells will be abandoned when (really, just before) they become net energy losses.<br><br>Again, if you done the basic homework you'd have known this most basic principle.<br><br>The lights are not gonna go off all at one -- there will be perhaps years of supply-interruptions and rolling brownouts, and more and more desperate resource wars and military feints, parries, invasions and retreats and alliances and aysymmetrical warfare and food-shortages and civil-strife and so-forth.<br><br>You sem to have your mind so convulsively wrapped around a particular worse-case desperate scenario that you just can't be convinced what you're 'arguing' about is a particular interpretation of consequences IF the Peak Oil hypothesis of oil-supply shortfalls isn't mediated by taking concerted, organized action to develop feasable alternatives and promoting conservation. How many years behind Europe fo you suppose the US already is? Do you really think there will be any widespread incentive to change as long as the same robber-baron cuthroat corporate gangsta thugs are in control and calling the shots? HAVE you thought this out?<br>(It sure doesn't look like it!)<br><br>By simply dismissing Peak Oil out-of-hand and blaming energy-shortages and high prices on unregulated crooked oil executives in-league with corrupt politicans and special interests (ie., defense industry), your reaction to the impending crisis of short-supply is hardly <br>different than the masses of sheeple who decry expensive gas while chanting 'What Me Worry?' I can confidently predict they'll be led to support the 'troops' to the precipice of world war in defense of the 21st century Holy-Grail myth of 'cheap oil'. <br><br>Do you REALLY think the average mind-numbed sheeple masses are aware or concerned enough about social injustice and economic unfairness to sacrifice their crumbs of security and convenience to actively challenge and confront the status-quo elites by placing their bodies on the wheels and gears of the clanking firebreathing automaton war-machine of Empire? HaH! I think the 'typical' American is far less involved or self-aware of world affairs that Germany's patriotic citizens and loyal troops on the eve of 2nd World War.<br><br>But I sure would LOVE to be proved wrong. AFATG: I think the Feds are dupliciously using the Katrina catastrophe to make the public weary about contributing to disasters. How many citizens have given a thought that the Government had an agenda in confounding and impeding the disaster relief, and making the Federal-coordinated state and local response far more inefficient and FUBAR than if FEMA had just left everybody alone?<br><br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
Starman

so goes..

Postby human » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:17 am

well starman, i must congradulate your on being a smart person, i would hate to have to battle you ina contest to see who can write the most....<br><br>what i extracted from your essay is that when its time for the eugenics to become official public policy, those who cry out "But what about the oil thats still in the ground? we have scientific reports saying there is plenty there!!!" will be drowned out by peak oilers saying "no no no, you just dont understand, thats not enough to keep things going, somebody is going to have to die..."<br><br>what im saying is that yall have no fucking clue where oil comes from. science is full of shit... they dont know much at all..... and most of what they do know, they arent telling...<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Do you REALLY think the average mind-numbed sheeple masses are aware or concerned enough about social injustice and economic unfairness</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>yes. and only through the will of the people will real change occur....<br><br>not only will you be proved wrong starman, but i will PERSONALLY prove you wrong, remember that.<br><br><br>one<br>human?<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
human

and btw...

Postby human » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:29 am

it IS about running out of ALL oil.....<br><br>you cant "run out" of something half way.<br><br>if we reach a peak, its because resource levels are on the DECLINE after PEAK. if its on a decline.... well then thats heading towards running out of ALL oil no??<br><br>just because your doomsday predictions occur before ALL oil is gone, doesnt change the fact that PEAK OIL IS ABOUT RUNNING OUT OF ALL OIL. <br><br>because if its not....... well then there just isnt a "peak" to begin with... <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>and its nessecary to note, abiotic oil is a theory that is held to be true by many folks, and they have the "facts" and "science" to prove it as well.... considering there is even a alternative theory in regards to how oil is created to begin with, id say that Peak Oilers not only have jumped the gun, but are one of the most dangerous political forces in the years to come... <br><br><br>i hope yall can see through it before its gone too far...<br><br><br><br><br>one<br>human? <p></p><i></i>
human

Previous

Return to Environment