Remember all those predictions?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Remember all those predictions?

Postby GDN01 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:31 pm

I have a difficult time finding old threads on this discussion board - the "search" never seems to produce what I am trying to find.<br><br>But, I remember a thread - and I think I started it - on a list of predictions that I had come across after reading the info from a link I had seen in an off-site discussion about the man who claims to be a FEMA worker, and he says FEMA had sent out a memo weeks before Katrina, putting all the workers on hold for the week Katrina hit.<br><br>Ringing a bell?<br><br>Later in the thread, he claimed that he had seen truckloads of heavy-duty winter gear that FEMA is preparing to use for some foreseen disaster.<br><br>(I wish I could find that thread and the links!)<br><br>The predictions I came across - one of the predictions was that in October, there would be a sudden and early start to a catastrophic winter, with cold like we've never seen. <br><br>And yesterday - an early snowfall hit Colorado. <br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=TopNews&article=UPI-1-20051010-23283100-bc-us-snowstorm-1stld.xml">Science Daily</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> says it is unusual but not unheard of to have snow this early in Colorado, and says in 1997 on October 24 and 25, they had 19 inches of snow.<br><br>Yesterday's snow was 20 inches and cause a bit of damage to powerlines and trees, and left one person dead.<br><br>Not saying this means all the predictions are true - but it made me think.... <br><br><br>Update:<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://p216.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm34.showMessage?topicID=123.topic">Here is the Victor thread.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>And here is the <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://p216.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm10.showMessage?topicID=840.topic">predictions thread.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> And I see now where it only says a drastic drop in temperatures after unusual summer highs for Oct. 2005. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gdn01>GDN01</A> at: 10/11/05 1:41 pm<br></i>
GDN01

Blog: View Blog (0)

these early snows happen frequently in Colorado

Postby maggrwaggr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:00 pm

I lived in Denver for years. The very first year I lived there we had 18 inches of snow the 2nd week in SEPTEMBER. It was still summertime! A week later it was 80 degrees again.<br><br>This was in, I believe 85 or 86.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
maggrwaggr

speaking of predictions..

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:18 pm

...I just got three identical URGENT emails from that mitch Battros character. Everything does seem more dramatic, larger than life with him.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>by Mitch Battros - ECTV<br><br> <br><br>I just got off the phone with Carlos Barrios, Mayan High Priest Elder. I should have known something was up when he left two messages in a short period. Unfortunately, I was not wrong. <br><br>I can only tell you this much as it was disclosed to me. But I have re-arranged my guest schedule to have Carlos on the show this Thursday October 13th “live” from Guatemala. <br><br>Carlos has told me he has convened with the Mayan high priest counsel to review the signs of recent events in part as outlined in the Mayan Calendar, and has prophesied possible future events. At this time, all I can say is what Carlos repeated to me several times stated below.<br><br>“First there was water, then there was air, then there will be dirt (earth), then there will come fire”. (Carlos Barrios)<br><br> <br>I can tell only this much…Carlos said the water was the Indian Ocean tsunami, the air was Katrina/Rita, the earth or dirt is not only the recent Pakistan quake killing over 30,000 people, but more and larger to come. The fire will be the coming volcanoes; not one but many. The time period is not 2012 or 2007, it is “now” and will continue and escalate over the next 18 months. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Accuweather's Winter Forecast

Postby nomo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:30 pm

FWIW:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://wwwa.accuweather.com/wxnews.asp">wwwa.accuweather.com/wxnews.asp</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"The AccuWeather.com Long Range Forecast Team, led by Chief<br>Meteorologist Joe Bastardi, has released its official Winter Forecast<br>for 2005-2006. The forecast calls for colder-than-normal temperatures in<br>the Northeast, with a milder-than-normal winter west of the Continental<br>Divide.<br><br>Snowfall levels in New England and the mountains of the Pacific<br>Northwest are expected to be above normal, while the center of the<br>nation will see as much as half of the normal snowfall. Overall, New<br>England will be the hardest hit, with a cold and snowy winter expected."<br> <p>--<br>When all else fails... panic.</p><i></i>
nomo

Volcanoes, eh?

Postby banned » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:59 pm

Well, Mt. St. Helens has been stirring off and on for some time. And Tacoma's right in the path of a lahar (volcanic debris flow) from Mt. Rainier.<br><br>There's always the supervolcano under Yellowstone, if that blows, yee haw. There's one under Lake Taupo in New Zealand as well, so much for hiding out in hobbit country.<br><br>And the Long Valley caldera--last time that one popped the ash I think reached Minnesota.<br><br>"Vancouver! This is it!"<br>~Last words of David Johnson, USGS geologist who called in the Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980. <p></p><i></i>
banned

Damn, this was fast....

Postby banned » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:07 pm

...just saw this on the Yahoo headlines. Could we be coming to the Ka-fucking-boom times up Seward's Icebox way?<br><br>Three Alaska volcanoes showing signs of unrest<br><br>1 hour, 51 minutes ago<br><br>ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - Anchorage residents could see a cloud of steam over the weekend from a volcano 900 miles away -- one of three Alaska volcanoes showing signs of unrest.<br>ADVERTISEMENT<br><br>The three volcanoes, including two located on remote Aleutian islands distant from any population centers, are setting off frequent tremors and minor bursts of ash or steam, seismologists said on Tuesday.<br><br>Cleveland Volcano, 900 miles southwest of Anchorage, had a small eruption on Friday, said the Alaska Volcano Observatory, which monitors Alaska's more than 40 active volcanoes.<br><br>Its ash plume rose to a height of nearly 15,000 feet (4.6 km) above sea level, observatory scientists said.<br><br>A cloud of steam from the 5,676-foot (1,730-m) volcano's peak was visible from Anchorage over the weekend.<br><br>The volcano has had periodic but minor ash emissions and some debris flow caused by melted snow, said Dave Schneider, a<br>U.S. Geological Survey volcanologist and acting scientist-in-charge at the Alaska Volcano Observatory.<br><br>Ash emissions "are a lot easier to see now than they were in the summer because you have fresh snow," Schneider said.<br><br>Cleveland Volcano, which comprises the western half of uninhabited Chuginadak Island, last erupted in 2001. The closest community, 45 miles to the east, is Nikolski, an Aleut village of 36 people.<br><br>The other volcanoes showing unrest are 5,925-foot (1,800-m) Tanaga Volcano and 11,070-foot (3,400-m) Mount Spurr, 75 miles<br>west of Anchorage.<br><br>A series of eruptions in 1992 showered Anchorage and the surrounding region with ash, forcing a brief closure of Anchorage International Airport. <p></p><i></i>
banned

damn

Postby Homeless Halo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:15 am

well fuck. I always liked Anchorage. (I used to live there, wonderful place, really, very beautiful) <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

Volcano Check

Postby Connut » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:47 pm

If you want the current and up-to-date predictions of volcanic, earthquake and tsunami activity, go to Stan Deyo's site. He is usually 4 to 5 days ahead of the event in his predictions. Cheers, Connut <p></p><i></i>
Connut

Re: Accuweather's Winter Forecast

Postby nomo » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:19 pm

Apparently, the US government disagrees with AccuWeather. Hmm... Who to believe?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051012/ap_on_go_ot/winter_outlook">news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051...er_outlook</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>U.S. Forecasts Warmer Than Normal Winter<br><br>Government forecasters on Wednesday predicted a warmer than normal<br>winter, offering hope to much of the Midwest and West as concern grows<br>about the rising costs of heating during cold-weather.<br><br>The National Weather Service said there is a 60 percent chance of<br>warmer than normal weather in the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas,<br>Missouri, Oklahoma, north Texas, northern New Mexico and southern and<br>eastern Colorado.<br><br>States adjoining that area, plus Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Hawaii<br>also have a chance of being warmer than usual.<br><br>Other regions could be warmer or cooler than usual but no area was<br>singled out to be especially cold.<br><br>"Even though the average temperature over the three-month winter season<br>is forecast to be above normal in much of the country, there will still<br>be bouts of winter weather with cold temperatures and frozen<br>precipitation," said NOAA Administrator Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Jr.<br><br>The rain and snowfall outlook calls for wetter-than-normal conditions<br>across most of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and northeastern Texas.<br>Drier-than-normal conditions are expected across the Southwest from<br>Arizona to New Mexico.<br><br>The forecasters noted that for the sixth year in a row, drought remains<br>a concern for parts of the Northwest and northern Rockies. Wet or dry<br>conditions during the winter typically have a significant impact on<br>drought conditions.<br><br>One factor in this winter's weather is the North Atlantic Oscillation,<br>which can shift the jet stream that helps drive the movement of winter<br>storms, the forecasters said.<br><br>In one phase, the jet stream shifts to the north of its usual position<br>and the winter weather features relatively warm days over much of the<br>contiguous U.S. In contrast, during the negative phase the jet stream<br>shifts to the south, bringing in Nor'easters and more frequent cold air<br>outbreaks and snowstorms, especially along the East Coast.<br><br>The phase of the oscillation is difficult to anticipate more than one<br>to two weeks in advance. <p>--<br>When all else fails... panic.</p><i></i>
nomo

Re: Accuweather's Winter Forecast

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:05 pm

Wow, interesting site, Connut. Here's the link:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.standeyo.com/">www.standeyo.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

chiggerbit -- mitch barros

Postby nashvillebrook » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:04 pm

was this before the mudslides? just wondering if he didn't get a "hit."<br><br>something else to ponder...heating costs this winter are expected to go up between 40 and 90 percent, dependng on who is doing the figuring. damn good timiing for a COLD winter. reminds me a recent summer in CA. <p></p><i></i>
nashvillebrook

Return to Environment