Tornados Aplenty

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Tornados Aplenty

Postby Col Quisp » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:34 pm

What the heck is going on with all these tornados and severe thunderstorms tonight? There are watches all through the South -- from Mississippi to Indiana. Everyone who is in the line of fire -- take cover! (Not sure if the plural of "tornado" is "tornadoes" or "tornados.") Whatever, I'll be in the basement! Ack! I hear thunder rumbling like the Beast. <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Tornados Aplenty

Postby Dreams End » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:42 pm

Just dodged a few myself. This didn't happen when I was younger but these days, the colder months almost always have a period of unseasonably warm weather followed by nasty storms around here. Stay safe. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: Tornados Aplenty

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 pm

I think the only difference here (Iowa) has been that they are later in the year this year. The northwestern part of the state is located in Tornado Alley. Actually, I seem to remember more bad storms --yellow-green ones--when I was a kid. It's weird, though, how warm the last 8 or 9 winters have been. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

ew: tornadoes

Postby Homeless Halo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:56 pm

Jesus yeah.<br><br>As if driving in Detroit weren't difficult enough, we have "Tuesday nite rushhour severe weather" too.<br><br>I got the impression, as well, that today someone left the gate open at the moron farm and let all the idiots out.<br><br>It was like a deathtrap outside.<br><br>This sort of "storm" is unnatural. We should be having snow right now. <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

storms

Postby rapt » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:11 am

I'm surprised you miss the snow HH. Here in the middle of Virginia (which is south of Detroit and a lot milder, but still...) the Nov. weather is September-like, except that it isn't; it is more like globally warmer.<br><br>The leaves turned very late, temps in daytime are in the 70s (abnormal) abnormal....abnormal...abn...<br><br>Oh yeah the rain pattern is also abnornal...abn...I'm gonna call the Weather Service and ask em some questions... <p></p><i></i>
rapt

re: snow

Postby Homeless Halo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:13 am

I love snow. I am "originally" from Alaska.<br>Snow and Ice don't bother me none.<br><br>I hate this sem-cold ultra-wet weather though. Its just miserable. And my basement leaks a little.<br><br>Its Waaaay too warm here, as of late, and the weather doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

Re: storms

Postby AnnaLivia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:24 am

chig, didn't you get the first snow today?! <br><br>i'm in central iowa. saturday was like 70 degrees, warm for this time of year, and we had tornados about suppertime that night, a 30-minute drive from here. not unusual, but unusual this time of year. they took off roofs, wrecked houses, downed 100-year-old trees, flipped cars over on their tops.<br><br>then this morning it was raining, and i looked out to see great big, beautiful snowflakes around ten o'clock or so, our first of the winter. changed to all snow, and it's still coming down tonight. it's always pretty, until you have to drive in it. it's a good night to be inside.<br><br>yes, ya'll in the path of tornados tonight: STAY SAFE! <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

re: driving.

Postby Homeless Halo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:58 am

I think I'll take that advice now, as I almost just got myself killed about a block or two from my home.<br><br>Was on my way to get my girl's "prescription" from her "practicioner" along with the apparatus required for her (and me) to take the medicine.<br><br>Jesus. There's a fucking lake on my street, and I almost hit this dead car, no lights on, stuck in the middle of it. Almost killed both of us.<br><br>Yes, I did help her move her car. No, it wasn't out of the kindness of my heart. I have this "thing" for sopping wet semi-goth girls, can't help it. She gave me her phone number(shhh!), but I'd much rather she learned not to drive in the right lane in her tiny car through recently developed ponds that pop up every half mile.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

I've been in Iowa exactly twice.

Postby banned » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:39 am

The first time, we were staying in a Holiday Inn in Iowa City and tornadoes were touching down all over. My cousin and I, both teenagers, had the room over my parents' but we were afraid of being blown away, so we went downstairs and my dad went up to our room, he said he'd rather be blown away than listen to three women quacking about the tornadoes any more.<br><br>20 years later a friend and I were driving a UHaul from Cleveland to California and as we approached Iowa City I started telling her the above story. When I finished she said "Tornadoes, you mean like that one?" and pointed down the highway to this big funnel cloud coming right at us. We zipped off the interstate into the parking lot of... a Holiday Inn. (Not the same one.) We were scared of being blown away so we hung out in the basement cocktail lounge all evening till the tornado warning ended (and we were seriously drunk.)<br><br>Odd, I have no interest in a third trip to Iowa. <p></p><i></i>
banned

Re: re: driving.

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:45 am

No snow here yet, Anna. Such an unusual November. I remember my brother water skiing at the beginning of November one year when I was a teen, and knowing how very unusual that was. Here now it was 70 degrees this week and the middle of November, and warm all month. Warm and dry. My ponds are way down. It has cooled off the last two days, but still not cold enough to snow. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Re: I've been in Iowa exactly twice.

Postby AnnaLivia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:19 am

note to self: do not stay at holiday inns with banned, even if she's buying the drinks.<br><br>that first snow i mentioned? school delays for tomorrow are already being scrolled across the bottom of the TV right now, the kids' dad just told me. yup, winter has arrived in iowa.<br><br>i'll tell you my tornado story:<br><br>we had one go right over the top of the duplex we lived in back in '96 (i think was the year). i'd been in the basement doing laundry and cleaning for quite a while, so didn't know the weather had changed. came up carrying a basket of clothes, and YIKES. flipped on the TV to hear them saying "take cover NOW"! grabbed the kids, a jug of water, a blanket, the dog, and was on the way back downstairs when the kids started begging me to let them run outside and bring in the turtles from their yard pen. (we are keepers of two beautiful box turtles.) i thought it wasn't a good idea, but could see the sky from the doorway and the kids were real upset and pleading, so we ran out and got them on the double-quick, and ran downstairs.<br><br>within two minutes, it was right on top of us. a neighbor friend who didn't have a basement (i didn't know he was home, even) was outside KNOCKING on our back door! (are we like flipping polite in iowa, or what?!) i screamed for him to GET IN HERE! the basement windows blew in right after.<br><br>when it had passed we went back upstairs. there had been a shed in the side yard, which was now hanging upside-down in the only tree left standing out front. you could see from the scratches that it had bounced up the front of my old caravan on it's way, but didn't smash the windsheild. everything from inside the shed was strewn all over the place and smashed up.<br><br>and the turtle pen? a huge cedar tree had crashed right down smack in the middle of it.<br><br>you could almost hear the tree-spirits crying after that storm. i cried for them, too, and with gratitude that my kids were safe...the two-leggeds and the four-leggeds.<br><br>then we went and helped that neighbor guy pull a big limb back through the picture window, out of his living room. i told him not to worry about knocking next time. <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

It's not Holiday Inns, AL, it's IOWA...

Postby banned » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:26 am

...I've been in Holiday Inns all over the country and the worst thing that happened was the Coke machine was empty.<br><br>Reading your story, I have to wonder why people in YOUR neck of the woods tell people in MY neck of the woods we're crazy to live in earthquake country. Big earthquakes only happen every decade or two and the really big ones once a century, you don't have to spend several months every year heading for the cyclone cellar like Auntie Em and Uncle Henry.<br><br>I think it's time for a musical interlude, courtesy of Meredith Willson.<br><br>"Oh, there's nothing halfway<br>About the Iowa way to treat you,<br>When we treat you<br>Which we may not do at all.<br>There's an Iowa kind of special<br>Chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.<br>We've never been without.<br>That we recall.<br>We can be cold<br>As our falling thermometers in December<br>If you ask about our weather in July.<br>And we're so by God stubborn<br>We could stand touchin' noses<br>For a week at a time<br>And never see eye-to-eye.<br>But what the heck, you're welcome,<br>Join us at the picnic.<br>You can eat your fill<br>Of all the food you bring yourself.<br>You really ought to give Iowa a try.<br>Provided you are contrary,<br>We can be cold<br>As our falling thermometer in December<br>If you ask about our weather in July.<br>And we're so by God stubborn<br>We can stand touchin' noses<br>For a week at a time<br>And never see eye-to-eye.<br>But we'll give you our shirt<br>And a back to go with it<br>If your crops should happen to die.<br><br>Farmer:<br>So, what the heck, you're welcome,<br>Glad to have you with us.<br><br>Farmer and Wife:<br>Even though we may not ever mention it again.<br><br>Townspeople:<br>You really ought to give Iowa<br>Hawkeye Iowa<br>Dubuque, Des Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown,Mason City, Keokuk, Ames, Clear Lake....<br>Ought to give Iowa a try!" <p></p><i></i>
banned

Re: It's not Holiday Inns, AL, it's IOWA...

Postby AnnaLivia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 am

THE COKE MACHINE WAS EMPTY???!!!!<br><br>that's tragic! how the hell people gonna drink whiskey without cola?<br><br>spare us, sweet jesus! <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

We had to put it in Seven Up.

Postby banned » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:45 am

Or, God help us, Mountain Dew. <p></p><i></i>
banned

Return to Environment