Bush Seeks to Sell National Forest Land

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bush Seeks to Sell National Forest Land

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:56 pm

Man, I can't believe that Bush wants to sell national forest land. I have a better plan. It would make more sense for the government to buy more land, not sell it---instead of paying year after year after year for never-ending farm set-aside subsidies, it would make more sense to just buy the subsidized land, if the people want to sell. But, just get rid of the subsidies. The very well-to-do farmers are the ones who collect most of those subsidies, anyway. If you don't believe me, check out the farmers in your area here, at this site: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.ewg.org/farm/">www.ewg.org/farm/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> My plan would MORE than make up the difference they are talking about here, by selling the our national forests.<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/13833486.htm">www.realcities.com/mld/kr...833486.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 2/10/06 11:04 am<br></i>
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bush Seeks to Sell National Forest Land

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:28 pm

From the above Enviromental Working Group's site listed above:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr># A Few Congressional Districts Dominate Subsidies. A series of new EWG analyses finds that USDA farm subsidy payments are not only highly concentrated among the largest recipients, they are also highly concentrated geographically-and politically. Just 22 of the nation's 435 congressional districts (5 percent) collected more than half of all subsidies over the past decade-some $69 billion. Another 25 congressional districts absorbed an additional 20 percent of total USDA subsidy dollars, meaning that just 47 districts, about 10 percent of the House of Representatives, accounted for more than 70 percent of the subsidy dollars over the past 10 years-in excess of $96 billion.<br># Big Farms, Very Big Bucks. American taxpayers spent a staggering $143.8 billion on farm subsidies over the past ten years, more than $104 billion of which (72 percent) went to the top 10 percent of recipients--some 312,000 large farming operations, cooperatives, partnerships and corporations that collected, on average, more than $33,000 every year. In lieu of imposing a limit on taxpayer subsides to the very largest, government-dependent agribusinesses, defenders of the status quo are prepared yet again to slash conservation funds and food assistance programs for the poor. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>On October 28, 2005, for instance, the House Agriculture Committee approved a budget reconciliation measure that will drop 300,000 people, most of them in working-poor families, from the Food Stamp Program, while rejecting President Bush's proposal to 'limit' farm subsidy payments to $250,000 per person annually.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>This isn't just a Bush problem, this is also a Congressional porker problem. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Environment