Bird Flu now in Iran

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bird Flu now in Iran

Postby nomo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:38 pm

Iran detects first cases of H5N1 bird flu<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1616520">abcnews.go.com/Internatio...id=1616520</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Feb 14, 2006 — TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's veterinary organization said on Tuesday the first cases of the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu had been detected in wild swans in the Islamic Republic.<br><br>"International laboratory results confirm that some wild swans died from bird flu," a statement from the group said.<br><br>Tested samples came from some wild swans in a flock of 135 that was found dead in wetlands near the Caspian Sea port of Bandar-e Anzali on Iran's northern coast, a wintering spot for many wildfowl from Russia.<br><br>An official from the veterinary organization, who declined to be named, confirmed the birds had died from the H5N1 strain of the disease, which is dangerous to humans.<br><br>This lethal strain, capable of killing half the people it infects, could trigger a pandemic if it gains the ability to be transmitted easily between humans.<br><br>Globally, the human death toll from the virus confirmed by the World Health Organization since 2003 stands at 91.<br><br>Mohammad Youssefi, director of the Union of Chicken Meat Farmers of Tehran, said the Iranian poultry industry had 600,000 direct employees and added that as many as three million people were dependent on it.<br><br>Late last year some union officials expressed concerns about how compensation could be paid for a full-scale industrial cull but Youssefi said the industry was properly insured.<br><br>"Parliament has approved a bill on agricultural products and insurance, meaning full compensation will be paid in the case of any damage," he told Reuters.<br><br>Iran started a voluntary cull on its western borders after H5N1 was detected in Turkey. Hossein Hassani, the head of Iran's veterinary organization, told Reuters on Monday that 157,348 fowl had been slaughtered by then. <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bird Flu now in Iran

Postby Gouda » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 pm

That bird flu chooses some interesting places. There's also Nigeria (where insurgents attacking foreign oil interests ought to careful about poultry and hygiene)...where next? <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Recombination

Postby Col Quisp » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:51 pm

From Recombinomics.com, discussing the presence of H5N1 in Iran:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"This high concentration of H5N1 and H9N2 in the area, provides a mechanism for creating dangerous polymorphisms, such as S227N which was identified in Turkey."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>H9N2 was already endemic in the area. Dr. Niman thinks that these two virii will recombine and create the S227N, a receptor that would increase the human-to-human transmission. Here's his recent post, since I'm no scientist and I'd probably misinterpret it:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Dr Nabarro has asked nations to prepare for a pandemic<br><br>The bird flu virus is only two mutations away from a form that can spread easily between people, sparking a pandemic in which millions could die.<br><br>The above comments almost certainly refer to changes in the receptor binding domain of H5N1. H5N1 has been highly pathogenic in confirmed cases identified by WHO. However, the efficiency of H5N1 infections in humans is low.<br><br>The human serotypes are H1, H2, and H3. In the past these serotypes have been characterized for differences in the receptor binding domain. <br><br>A recent paper used a glycan microarray to look at receptor binding for various HA sequences, including HA from two isolates from the 1918 pandemic. Changing two positions in the receptor binding domain, E190D and G225D, could dramatically increase the affinity for human receptors. H5N1 has not been identified with either of these two changes, but the paper showed that only two changes were required.<br><br>A change in the receptor binding domain that has been identified on HA H5N1 is S227N (also called S223N). This change was initially found in two isolates from Hong Kong residents who had traveled to Fujian Province in China and developed bird flu symptoms. H5N1 was isolated from the father and son and both had S227N. Recent studies have shown that this change could increase the affinity for human receptors and decrease the affinity for avian receptors. This change was also found in an isolated from a patient in Vietnam, but all isolates were from human cases.<br><br>In October, 2005, donor sequences were identified in H9N2 isolates that could recombine with the Qinghai strain of H5N1 and create S227N. A warning of such a recombination was issued because H5N1 was migrating into the Middle East, where H9N2 was endemic in local poultry. Infection of the poultry with H5N1 would allow for homologous recombination and creation of S227N. This acquisition would increase the affinity of HA for human receptors and would lead to increased efficiency of human infections.<br><br>At the time of the warning, the Qinghai version of H5N1 had not been confirmed in human infections. In late December of 2005, patients with bird flu symptoms in eastern Turkey were identified. In 2006 H5N1 was confirmed in three of the patients, S227N was found in the index case. The familial cluster involved at least three families. At least 16 of the family members were hospitalized and 7 of the 16 were confirmed to be H5N1 positive. The four fatal cases, including the index case, were among the seven H5N1 positive patients.<br><br>S227N is in the receptor binding domain. It is adjacent to other changes that increase the affinity for human receptors (Q226L and G228S).<br><br>Additional changes at these positions would be cause for concern. As H5N1 expands its geographical reach, additional opportunities for recombination exist. These opportunities to acquire changes in the receptor binding domain, like S227N, are predictable. <br><br>They are not due to random mutations, but they are cause for concern."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br> <br>Here's another, about the presence of H5 in Austria today:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Austria becomes the fourth EU nation to be hit by bird flu, after Greece, Italy and Slovenia.<br><br>``The Austrian authorities have informed the European Commission this afternoon of a confirmed case of the H5 avian influenza virus in two dead swans found in the region of Stiria, near to the city of Graz,'' the commission said. ``Further tests will now be carried out.''<br><br>The H5 detected in Austria, like the three other EU countries mentioned above, will almost certainly test as H5N1. H5N1 has been detected in dead swans throughout the region (see map) and many of the reports have come out in the past few days.<br><br>However, the H5N1 traces back to Qinghai Lake and has been in Europe for many months. Many countries denied the presence of H5N1 previously, while others continue to deny the presence of the lethal virus.<br><br>H5N1 has spread throughout the region previously, and now is being detected in non-migratory birds. However, the presence of H5N1 in Nigeria, including the East Atlantic Flyway, indicates H5N1 will be more widespread in Europe in the upcoming months.<br><br>When H5N1 migrated into the Middle East, a change in the receptor binding domain was detected. This change, S227N, led to human cases and clusters in Turkey. <br><br>H5N1 will soon be migrating into Western Europe and North America, providing new opportunities for new recombinations. These changes are cause for concern."<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Maybe now is the time to stock up on kim chi.<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=colquisp>Col Quisp</A> at: 2/14/06 2:56 pm<br></i>
Col Quisp

Germany

Postby Gouda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:34 am

Add Germany to the list: <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/02/15/birdflu.wrap/index.html">edition.cnn.com/2006/HEAL...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>"Crisis meeting as bird flu spreads - WHO: Largest and most severe outbreaks"<br><br>(CNN) -- Germany has become the fourth European Union nation to detect the deadly strain of avian flu in wild birds, with health experts from the nation preparing for a crisis meeting in a bid to halt the global spread...<br><br>Now the virus has been reported in nine Asian nations, with Indonesia seen as the country where the virus is becoming more virulent. (Full story) and is spreading around Europe, Africa and the Middle East, in nations such as Turkey, Croatia, Russia, Azerbaijan, Romania, Iraq and Iran and in Nigeria..... <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Re: europe

Postby Gouda » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:10 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"The reasons for the nearly simultaneous appearance of the H5N1 virus in wild birds in Italy, Slovenia, Austria and Germany continues to be a mystery," said Thomas Mettenleiter, president of the Friedrich Loeffler Institute. "It is possible that the swans came in from eastern Europe."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> "Europe imposes new bird flu rules - Iraqi death may be tied to deadly avian influenza"<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/02/17/birdflu.ap/index.html">edition.cnn.com/2006/HEAL...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Spreading like wildfire

Postby Col Quisp » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Poultry in India -- 50,000 birds culled.<br><br>Dead duck being tested in France...<br><br>Every day, a new country or two. Yikes! <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

France detects its first case of bird flu

Postby PeterofLoneTree » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Agencies Paris<br>Saturday February 18, 2006<br>The Guardian                <br>                <br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"Birdflu spread deeper into western Europe yesterday with the first case in France, further positive tests in Germany and suspicions of at least two cases in the Netherlands.The French farm ministry said a duck found in the east had tested positive for the virus, and that it was likely to be the H5N1 strain that can be transmitted to humans. "The test showed the H5 virus was present and had strong similarities withthe H5N1 Asian influenza," officials said. The bird was found dead on Monday near Lyon. An exclusion zone was established and the movement of live poultry to and from the area was banned."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/story/0,,1712541,00.html">www.guardian.co.uk/birdfl...41,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
PeterofLoneTree

Bird flu virus flies into India, first cases reported

Postby PeterofLoneTree » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:30 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"In the first outbreak of bird flu in India, eight people were on Saturday admitted to a hospital with suspected deadly avian virus after 50,000 birds had died in Nandurbar and Dhule districts of Maharashtra.<br>As the presence of virus was confirmed, about two lakh chickens were slaughtered and buried in the two districts.<br>The High Security Animal Disease Laboratory in Bhopal, where poultry samples were sent, confirmed that eight of them had strains of H5N1virus that had claimed nearly 100 lives in east Asia a few years ago."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Rest of story at<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1629247,001300820000.htm">www.hindustantimes.com/ne...820000.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
PeterofLoneTree

Holy Crap!

Postby Col Quisp » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:03 pm

Thanks, Peter of Lone Tree. I hadn't heard about the human cases in India. I predict that it will exponentially increase now that it is so widespread. Better stock up now, before the stampede begins. Hope I'm wrong.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Col Quisp

Return to Health