A huge experiment with the lives of American kids

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A huge experiment with the lives of American kids

Postby nomo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:42 pm

June 6, 2006<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Use of Antipsychotics by the Young Rose Fivefold</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>By BENEDICT CAREY<br><br><br>The use of potent antipsychotic drugs to treat children and adolescents for problems like aggression and mood swings increased more than fivefold from 1993 to 2002, researchers reported yesterday.<br><br>The researchers, who analyzed data from a national survey of doctors' office visits, found that antipsychotic medications were prescribed to 1,438 per 100,000 children and adolescents in 2002, up from 275 per 100,000 in the two-year period from 1993 to 1995.<br><br>The findings augment earlier studies that have documented a sharp rise over the last decade in the prescription of psychiatric drugs for children, including antipsychotics, stimulants like Ritalin and antidepressants, whose sales have slipped only recently. But the new study is the most comprehensive to examine the increase in prescriptions for antipsychotics.<br><br>The explosion in the use of drugs, some experts said, can be traced in part to the growing number of children and adolescents whose problems are given psychiatric labels once reserved for adults and to doctors' increasing comfort with a newer generation of drugs for psychosis.<br><br>Shrinking access to long-term psychotherapy and hospital care may also play a role, the experts said.<br><br>The findings, published yesterday in Archives of General Psychiatry, are likely to inflame a continuing debate about the risks of using psychiatric medication in children. In recent years, antidepressants have been linked to an increase in suicidal thinking or behavior in some minors, and reports have suggested that stimulant drugs like Ritalin may exacerbate underlying heart problems.<br><br>Antipsychotic drugs also carry risks: Researchers have found that many of the drugs can cause rapid weight gain and blood lipid changes that increase the risk of diabetes. None of the most commonly prescribed antipsychotics is approved for use in children, although doctors can prescribe any medication that has been approved for use.<br><br>Experts said that little was known about the use of antipsychotics in minors: only a handful of small studies have been done in children and adolescents.<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><br>"We are using these medications and don't know how they work, if they work, or at what cost," said Dr. John March, a professor of child and adolescent psychiatry at Duke University. "It amounts to a huge experiment with the lives of American kids, and what it tells us is that we've got to do something other than we're doing now" to assess the drugs' overall impact.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>But many child psychiatrists say that antipsychotic medication is the best therapy available for children in urgent need of help who do not respond well to other treatments. Without them, they say, many unpredictable, emotionally unstable children would end up institutionalized.<br><br>Dr. Mark Olfson, a professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University and the lead author of the study, financed in part by the National Institute of Mental Health, said the popularity of antipsychotic drugs might result in part from "the fact that psychiatrists have few other pharmacological options in certain patients."<br><br>The study, which looked at visits to pediatricians and other doctors, found that psychiatrists were the most likely to prescribe antipsychotic drugs.<br><br>In light of how little these drugs have been studied in children, Dr. Olfson said, "to me the most striking thing was that nearly one in five psychiatric visits for young people included a prescription for antipsychotics."<br><br>The Columbia investigators analyzed data from the National Center for Health Statistics survey of office visits, which focuses on doctors in private or group practices. They calculated the number of visits in which an antipsychotic drug was prescribed to people under the age of 21 and collected information on patients' medical histories. The total number of visits that resulted in prescriptions for the drugs increased to 1,224,000 in 2002 from 201,000 1993 to 1995.<br><br>The researchers attributed some of the increase to the availability of a new class of drugs for psychosis, called atypical antipsychotics, that were introduced in the early and mid-1990's.<br><br>The newer drugs, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>heavily marketed by their makers</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, were attractive in part because they appeared less likely than older types of antipsychotics to cause side effects like tardive dyskinesia, a neurological movement disorder similar to Parkinson's disease.<br><br>From 2000 to 2002, the new study found, more than 90 percent of the prescriptions analyzed were for the newer medications, and most of the patients were boys, predominantly Caucasian children, who were significantly more likely to see psychiatrists than other ethnic groups.<br><br>Some experts also pointed to an increase in the diagnosis of bipolar disorder in children as a contributing factor. In recent years, psychiatrists have begun to diagnose the disorder in extremely agitated, often aggressive children with mood swings — short surges of grandiosity or irritation that alternate with periods of despair. These symptoms in children are thought to be related to the classic euphoria and depressions of adult bipolar disorder.<br><br>At the same time, several of the atypical antipsychotics, including Risperdal from Janssen and Zyprexa from Eli Lilly, won approval for the treatment of mania in adults.<br><br>Some psychiatrists now routinely prescribe atypical antipsychotics "off label" for young people thought to have bipolar disorder, and researchers have begun to study the drugs in children as young as preschool age.<br><br>In the new study, about a third of the children who received antipsychotics had behavior disorders, which included attention deficit problems; a third had psychotic symptoms or developmental problems; and another third were suffering from mood disorders. Over all, more than 40 percent of the children were also taking at least one other psychiatric medication.<br><br>"We feel the medications are effective in children with bipolar and have some data to show that," said Dr. Melissa DelBello, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Cincinnati, who has done several studies of the drugs.<br><br>Dr. DelBello said that the field "desperately needs more research" to clarify the effects of the antipsychotic drugs but that many children struggling with bipolar disorder got more symptom relief on these drugs than on others, allowing psychiatrists to cut down on the overall number of medications a child is taking.<br><br>Lisa Pedersen of Dallas, the mother of a 17-year-old boy being treated for bipolar disorder, said he was unpredictable, hostile and suicidal before psychiatrists found an effective cocktail of drugs, which includes a daily dose of antipsychotic medication.<br><br>"Believe me, I would never choose having him on these meds," Ms. Pedersen said in a telephone interview. "It's not fun watching a child deal with the side effects. But finding the right combination of medicine has made his life worth living."<br><br>Yet this process is one of trial and error for many children. Ms. Pedersen said her son had responded badly to the first two antipsychotic drugs he received. And some experts think the way that psychiatric drugs are prescribed is obscuring any understanding of underlying disorders and the optimal treatments.<br><br>"If you're going to put children on three or four different drugs, now you've got a potpourri of target symptoms and side effects," said Dr. Julie Magno Zito, an associate professor of pharmacy and medicine at the University of Maryland.<br><br>Dr. Zito added, "How do you even know who the kid is anymore?"<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Blog: View Blog (0)

question

Postby blanc » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 am

Should we not be asking why there are so many disturbed/agressive children around? <p></p><i></i>
blanc

Re: question

Postby Gouda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:30 am

Exactly. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:44 am

I made as big a stink here last year as I could about a bill passed in congress allowing children that had been abused to be tested without consent..I lost all the data in my computer crash in January, but the bill was extraordinary. It essentially broke down to saying that abused children were damaged goods, and hence, fair game for testing. <p></p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Gouda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:50 am

et in Arcadia ego, I remember that. I think "Hmm" also posted something about this. Did that bill really make it through house and senate and sent to Bush for signing? ( ! ) <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

drugging kids.

Postby Sarutama » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:07 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Should we not be asking why there are so many disturbed/agressive children around?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>I don't think kids are any more agressive or disturbed then they've ever been. I just think now, instead of saying "Well, at that age hormones are going crazy, etc so kids are gonna behave oddly (agression, mood swings, etc)." we just decide its easier to pump them full of drugs.<br><br>I mean come on, mood swings. Show me one kid that doesn't have mood swings. <p></p><i></i>
Sarutama

question

Postby LoganSquare » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:10 am

[Should we not be asking why there are so many agressive children around?]<br><br>Guardian article:<br><br>. . . . <br><br>Research shows a direct link between junk food and violent behaviour. But governments are in cahoots with the industry <br><br>The most spectacular results were those reported in the Journal of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine in 1997. The researchers had conducted a double-blind, controlled experiment in a jail for chronic offenders aged between 13 and 17. Many of the boys there were deficient in certain nutrients. They consumed, on average, only 63% of the iron, 42% of the magnesium, 39% of the zinc, 39% of the vitamin B12 and 34% of the folate in the US government's recommended daily allowance. The researchers treated half the inmates with capsules containing the missing nutrients, and half with placebos. They also counselled all the prisoners in the trial about improving their diets. The number of violent incidents caused by inmates in the control group (those taking the placebos) fell by 56%, and in the experimental group by 80%. But among the inmates in the placebo group who refused to improve their diets, there was no reduction. The researchers also wired their subjects to an electroencephalograph to record brainwave patterns, and found a major decrease in abnormalities after 13 weeks on supplements.<br><br>. . . . <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1765401,00.html">www.guardian.co.uk/commen...01,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
LoganSquare

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:32 pm

@ Gouda:<br><br>I'm having difficulty locating any info on it right now; looks like it was sucked down the memory hole pretty well..Jeff knew some about it as well, maybe he'll chime in with a link. I had the actual bill info and everything, but when my machine crashed, I lost ALL my weblinks and saved data.. <p></p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Death by Medicin

Postby nomo » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:50 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>A definitive review of medical peer-reviewed journals and government health statistics shows that American medicine frequently causes more harm than good.<br><br>Each year approximately 2.2 million US hospital patients experience adverse drug reactions (ADRs) to prescribed medications.(1) In 1995, Dr. Richard Besser of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated the number of unnecessary antibiotics prescribed annually for viral infections to be 20 million; in 2003, Dr. Besser spoke in terms of tens of millions of unnecessary antibiotics prescribed annually.(2, 2a) Approximately 7.5 million unnecessary medical and surgical procedures are performed annually in the US,(3) while approximately 8.9 million Americans are hospitalized unnecessarily.(4)<br><br>As shown in the following table, the estimated total number of iatrogenic deaths—that is, deaths induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures— in the US annually is 783,936. It is evident that the American medical system is itself the leading cause of death and injury in the US . By comparison, approximately 699,697 Americans died of heart in 2001, while 553,251 died of cancer.(5)<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/mar2004_awsi_death_02.htm">www.lef.org/magazine/mag2...ath_02.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Junk Food

Postby Chiaroscuro » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 am

I can belive junk food is a big cause of behavior and mental problems. I once went off all junk food for two weeks. No caffine no sugar. I then ate an ice cream cone after which I laughed and cried hysterically for approx. 30 minutes. sugar is a drug. caffine is a drug. they may be weak compared to alchol or hard drugs but they are drugs all the same. it would be too good for people to watch what they fed their kids instead of drugging them into sumission. no big bucks to be made from health foods compared to legal mood altering drugs <p></p><i></i>
Chiaroscuro

What chance to they have, really?

Postby LoganSquare » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:00 am

<br>They're brainwashed in school, they're brainwashed in front of their televisions. They're living in a toxic physical and cultural environment. Huge numbers are abused, come from struggling, single parent homes or homes where both parents are gone all the time trying to earn more money. What can you expect? They're going to be asking for antipsychotic drugs just to cope.<br><br>It's like cancer--everything focused on the cure so that we don't have to do anything about the causes.<br><br>Violent rebelliousness can't be considered abnormal under these provocative circumstances.<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
LoganSquare

Re: What chance to they have, really?

Postby CyberChrist » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:35 am

I was reading an article somewhere that was talking about kids actually snorting Crystal Light and getting high off of the concentrated Aspartame content. Of course, this is not good, but the long-term effects of the abuse is memory loss, which is not something that kids in school need. <p>--<br>CyberChrist<br>http://www.hackerjournal.org<br>My brain is hung like a horse.</p><i></i>
CyberChrist

Return to Health