Did Jesus Christ really exist?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

okay okay

Postby Homeless Halo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:23 am

But what about the Baptist? There is a good deal of historical information regarding this fella as a physical entity. Is it so implausible that he might've had a cousin who took up for him when he left?<br><br>That myths (themselves admittedly pre-existing him) became attached to his personage precisely because little was factually known about him (and perhaps what was actually known was state secret, i.e that he was just a man, etc.). That myths older than a personage are attached to one does not neccessarily imply of itself that one didn't exist. If so, Alexander didn't exist, as we're pretty sure that he did, and that many myths associated with the sun cult were attached to him as well. (Like his birthing being the result of his mother's copulation with Zeus, maybe Apollo, as a snake, etc)<br> You don't have any evidence to disprove the existence of Jesus, merely the facts of his life. However, the existence of his cousin, and possibly his brother, and his other cousin, are more firmly established. <br><br>I don't think Jesus was god. If anything, he was a space alien, or just a very smart man who was killed because he knew too much, and had a convoluted martyr cult built around him, much to the dismay of his surviving relatives, who themselves were erased by the same state that sanction the "official version" of his religion, which didn't exist until then, admittedly.<br><br>Why is it such a big deal to you to admit he might've been a person? <br><br>Are we to assume his original followers, several of whom are recorded in multiple histories made him up and convinced themselves that this man (with political goals mostly) existed?<br><br>Certainly we could say that it is evident that Josh's aims were likely mostly of a political origin. His teachings likely secular in origin, philosophical but integrated with various mysticisms in vogue, like those of his cousin (who you have demonstrated to have not existed, nor could you). But to say he was never here, I think requires more faith than I am willing to have so blindly.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: okay okay

Postby Fogyreef » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:38 pm

Edit: 'twould have been better to consolodate these in two posts...<br><br><br>Piece No. 1: A CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE <br><br>The Gospel story, with its figure of Jesus of Nazareth, cannot be found before the Gospels. In Christian writings earlier than Mark, including almost all of the New Testament epistles, as well as in many writings from the second century, the object of Christian faith is never spoken of as a human man who had recently lived, taught, performed miracles, suffered and died at the hands of human authorities, or rose from a tomb outside Jerusalem. There is no sign in the epistles of Mary or Joseph, Judas or John the Baptist, no birth story, teaching or appointment of apostles by Jesus, no mention of holy places or sites of Jesus’ career, not even the hill of Calvary or the empty tomb. This silence is so pervasive and so perplexing that attempted explanations for it have proven inadequate. <br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=fogyreef>Fogyreef</A> at: 9/29/05 4:55 pm<br></i>
Fogyreef

Postby Fogyreef » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:40 pm

Piece No. 2: A MUTE RECORD WORLD WIDE <br><br>The first clear non-Christian reference to Jesus as a human man in recent history is made by the Roman historian Tacitus around 115 CE, but he may simply be repeating newly-developed Christian belief in an historical Jesus in the Rome of his day. Several earlier Jewish and pagan writers are notably silent. The Antiquities of the Jews by the Jewish historian Josephus, published in the 90s, contains two famous references to Jesus, but these are inconclusive. The first passage, as it stands, is universally acknowledged to be a later Christian insertion, and attempts have failed to prove some form of authentic original; the second also shows signs of later Christian tampering. References to Jesus in the Jewish Talmud are garbled and come from traditions which were only recorded in the third century and later.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Fogyreef

Postby Fogyreef » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:42 pm

Piece No. 3: REVEALING THE SECRET OF CHRIST <br><br>Paul and other early writers speak of the divine Son of their faith entirely in terms of a spiritual, heavenly figure; they never identify this entity called "Christ Jesus" (literally, "Anointed Savior" or "Savior Messiah") as a man who had lived and died in recent history. Instead, through the agency of the Holy Spirit, God has revealed the existence of his Son and the role he has played in the divine plan for salvation. These early writers talk of long-hidden secrets being disclosed for the first time to apostles like Paul, with no mention of an historical Jesus who played any part in revealing himself, thus leaving no room for a human man at the beginning of the Christian movement. Paul makes it clear that his knowledge and message about the Christ is derived from scripture under God’s inspiration.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Fogyreef

Postby Fogyreef » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:43 pm

Piece No. 4: A SACRIFICE IN THE SPIRITUAL REALM <br><br>Paul does not locate the death and resurrection of Christ on earth or in history. According to him, the crucifixion took place in the spiritual world, in a supernatural dimension above the earth, at the hands of the demon spirits (which many scholars agree is the meaning of "rulers of this age" in 1 Corinthians 2:8 ) . The Epistle to the Hebrews locates Christ’s sacrifice in a heavenly sanctuary (ch. 8, 9). The Ascension of Isaiah, a composite Jewish-Christian work of the late first century, describes (9:13-15) Christ’s crucifixion by Satan and his demons in the firmament (the heavenly sphere between earth and moon). Knowledge of these events was derived from visionary experiences and from scripture, which was seen as a ‘window’ onto the higher spiritual world of God and his workings. <br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=fogyreef>Fogyreef</A> at: 9/29/05 4:45 pm<br></i>
Fogyreef

Postby Fogyreef » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:46 pm

Piece No. 5: SALVATION IN A LAYERED UNIVERSE <br><br>The activities of gods in the spiritual realm were part of ancient views (Greek and Jewish) of a multi-layered universe, which extended from the base world of matter where humans lived, through several spheres of heaven populated by various divine beings, angels and demons, to the highest level of pure spirit where the ultimate God dwelled. In Platonic philosophy (which influenced Jewish thought), the upper spiritual world was timeless and perfect, serving as a model for the imperfect and transient material world below; the former was the "genuine" reality, accessible to the intellect. Spiritual processes took place there, with their effects, including salvation, on humanity below. Certain "human characteristics" given to Christ (e.g., Romans 1:3) were aspects of his spirit world nature, higher counterparts to material world equivalents, and were often dependent on readings of scripture.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Fogyreef

Postby Fogyreef » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:48 pm

Piece No. 6: A WORLD OF SAVIOR DEITIES <br><br>Christ’s features and myths are in many ways similar to those of the Greco-Roman salvation cults of the time known as "mystery religions", each having its own savior god or goddess. Most of these (e.g., Dionysos, Mithras, Attis, Isis, Osiris) were part of myths in which the deity had overcome death in some way, or performed some act which conferred benefits and salvation on their devotees. Such activities were viewed as taking place in the upper spirit realm, not on earth or in history. Most of these cults had sacred meals (like Paul’s Lord’s Supper in 1 Corinthians 11:23f) and envisioned mystical relationships between the believer and the god similar to what Paul speaks of with Christ. Early Christianity was a Jewish sectarian version of this widespread type of belief system, though with its own strong Jewish features and background. <br> <p></p><i></i>
Fogyreef

Postby Fogyreef » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:52 pm

And the rest;<br><br>Piece No. 7: THE INTERMEDIARY SON <br>The Christian "Son" is also an expression of the overriding religious concept of the Hellenistic age, that the ultimate God is transcendent and can have no direct contact with the world of matter. He must reveal himself and deal with humanity through an intermediary force, such as the "Logos" of Platonic (Greek) philosophy or the figure of "personified Wisdom" of Jewish thinking; the latter is found in documents like Proverbs, Baruch and the Wisdom of Solomon. This force was viewed as an emanation of God, his outward image, an agency which had helped create and sustain the universe and now served as a channel of knowledge and communion between God and the world. All these features are part of the language used by early Christian writers about their spiritual "Christ Jesus", a heavenly figure who was a Jewish sectarian version of these prevailing myths and thought patterns.<br><br><br>Piece No. 8: A SINGLE STORY OF JESUS <br>All the Gospels derive their basic story of Jesus of Nazareth from a single source: whoever produced the first version of Mark. That Matthew and Luke are reworkings of Mark with extra, mostly teaching, material added is now an almost universal scholarly conclusion, while many also consider that John has drawn his framework for Jesus’ ministry and death from a Synoptic source as well. We thus have a Christian movement spanning half the empire and a full century which nevertheless has managed to produce only one version of the events that are supposed to lie at its inception. Acts, as an historical witness to Jesus and the beginnings of the Christian movement, cannot be relied upon, since it is a tendentious creation of the second century, dependent on the Gospels and designed to create a picture of Christian origins traceable to a unified body of apostles in Jerusalem who were followers of an historical Jesus. Many scholars now admit that much of Acts is sheer fabrication.<br><br><br>Piece No. 9: THE GOSPELS AS (FICTIONAL) "MIDRASH" <br>Not only do the Gospels contain basic and irreconcilable differences in their accounts of Jesus, they have been put together according to a traditional Jewish practice known as "midrash", which involved reworking and enlarging on scripture. This could entail the retelling of older biblical stories in new settings. Thus, Mark’s Jesus of Nazareth was portrayed as a new Moses, with features that paralleled the stories of Moses. Many details were fashioned out of specific passages in scripture. The Passion story itself is a pastiche of verses from the Psalms, Isaiah and other prophets, and as a whole it retells a common tale found throughout ancient Jewish writings, that of the Suffering and Vindication of the Innocent Righteous One. It is quite possible that Mark, at least, did not intend his Gospel to represent an historical figure or historical events, and designed it to provide liturgical readings for Christian services on the Jewish model. Liberal scholars now regard the Gospels as "faith documents" and not accurate historical accounts.<br><br><br>Piece No. 10: THE COMMUNITY OF "Q" <br>In Galilean circles distinct from those of the evangelists (who were probably all located in Syria), a Jewish movement of the mid-first century preaching the coming of the Kingdom of God put together over time a collection of sayings, ethical and prophetic, now known as Q. The Q community eventually invented for itself a human founder figure who was regarded as the originator of the sayings. In ways not yet fully understood, this figure fed into the creation of the Gospel Jesus, and the sayings document was used by Matthew and Luke to flesh out their reworking of Mark’s Gospel. Some modern scholars believe they have located the "genuine" Jesus at the roots of Q, but Q’s details and pattern of evolution suggest that no Jesus was present in its earlier phases, and those roots point to a Greek style of teaching known as Cynicism, one unlikely to belong to any individual, let alone a Jewish preacher of the Kingdom. <br><br><br>Piece No. 11: A RIOTOUS DIVERSITY <br>The documentary record reveals an early Christian landscape dotted with a bewildering variety of communities and sects, rituals and beliefs about a Christ/Jesus entity, most of which show little common ground and no central authority. Also missing is any idea of apostolic tradition tracing back to a human man and his circle of disciples. Scholars like to style this situation as a multiplicity of different responses to the historical Jesus, but such a phenomenon is not only incredible, it is nowhere attested to in the evidence itself. Instead, all this diversity reflects independent expressions of the wider religious trends of the day, based on expectation of God’s Kingdom, and on belief in an intermediary divine force which provided knowledge of God and a path to salvation. Only with the Gospels, which began to appear probably toward the end of the first century, were many of these elements brought together to produce the composite figure of Jesus of Nazareth, set in a midrashic story about a life, ministry and death located in the time of Herod and Pontius Pilate. <br><br><br>Piece No. 12: JESUS BECOMES HISTORY <br>As the midrashic nature of the Gospels was lost sight of by later generations of gentile Christians, the second century saw the gradual adoption of the Gospel Jesus as an historical figure, motivated by political considerations in the struggle to establish orthodoxy and a central power amid the profusion of early Christian sects and beliefs. Only with Ignatius of Antioch, just after the start of the second century, do we see the first expression in Christian (non-Gospel) writings of a belief that Jesus had lived and died under Pilate, and only toward the middle of that century do we find any familiarity in the wider Christian world with written Gospels and their acceptance as historical accounts. Many Christian apologists, however, even in the latter part of the century, ignore the existence of a human founder in their picture and defense of the faith. By the year 200, a canon of authoritative documents had been formed, reinterpreted to apply to the Jesus of the Gospels, now regarded as a real historical man. Christianity entered a new future founded on a monumental misunderstanding of its own past. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.jesuspuzzle.com/">www.jesuspuzzle.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Fogyreef

... and the conclusion:

Postby Pants Elk » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:47 am

THE ASSEMBLED PUZZLE<br><br>Modern critical scholars have been dismantling the story of Jesus, attempting to salvage from it an inspiring sage for a more rational, enlightened future, and letting go the sacrificial divine Savior of an archaic past. Some of them are edging toward the admission that Paul's Christ had nothing to do with an historical man, while positioning their new teaching Jesus as only one element in the Jewish-Hellenistic synthesis which led to Christianity. The sage, however, is an artificial construct, a misreading (then and now) of the broader sectarian expressions of the day. And the links and lines of development between the various strands which scholars have created to make their scenarios hang together are largely unsupported by the evidence. The pieces of the Jesus Puzzle will not fit together except by abandoning any expectation of encountering an historical, human face.<br><br>---snip---<br><br>(jesuspuzzle is a great, great website - thanks for the link. If you're tired of Orgonite links, here's a real diamond ...) <p></p><i></i>
Pants Elk

Previous

Return to Religion and the Occult