on the notion of "fake Jews"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

on the notion of "fake Jews"

Postby ir » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:01 am

The notion of "fake Jews" originates in Jewish tradition, in which it is still very much alive. (at least in Israeli politics of religion). The story goes, that when the Jews were travelling from Egypt to Kanaan, for around 40 years with MOses, a large bunch of "erev rav" (literally Riff Raff) joined the team and mingled in the crowd. This, according to tradition is a fairly LARGE segment of the nation which prevents the true redemption and causes trouble, corruption and what not. <br>every now and then a political leader in Israel, associated with this or that religious faction/party, invokes the "riff Raff" argument against a rival group, condeming it to be "that group" which should be identified and eliminated in order for the true nation to emerge. The most famous, and rather distasteful, use of this tradition was made by no other than Mr. Netanyahu, during his reign as PM. He was conversing with one of the leading rabbis of a coalition party member, and said that the "left wing" (liberals) Israelis are NOT JEWS at all.<br>---<br>Since the notion of the riff raff appears in fact in the scriptures (and developed later in post biblical Jewish texts), and used carelessly by rabbis (against each other's groups) - i am not at all surprised that it caught a momentum with the non Jewish community, this actually makes perfect sense. If netanyahu, a Prime Minister in Israel can speak this way, why not others? Be advised also that Netanyahu has a firm alliance with the Evangelical right wing Christians, maybe he thinks they are the "real jews" ? he certainly seems to be giving them very good PR here, and attacking anyone who suggests they are antisemites in a sheep skin. <br>---<br> <p></p><i></i>
ir

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: on the notion of "fake Jews"

Postby Dreams End » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:21 am

This is a duplicate post of one in the Firepit, where I responded. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Return to Religion and the Occult