Kentucky Creationist Museum Will Feature Dragons, Unicorns

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby matrixdutch » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 pm

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features ... orns-2838/

Kentucky's state-backed $150 million creationist theme park, The Ark Encounter, will allow visitors to explore a literal interpretation of the Bible's story of Noah and the ark. But pseudonymous liberal Kentucky blogger Media Czech raises two important questions about that interpretation and how it will be manifest in theme park form. First, were there dinosaurs on the original ark? Second, what about unicorns?
Now, the blogger has found answers to both questions at Answers In Genesis, the official blog of the group behind The Ark Encounter. The group says "yes," to both, which implies that their creationist theme park will include dinosaurs and unicorns on the Ark. Here's Answers In Genesis explaining why dinosaurs were on the Ark, although the group prefers to call them "dragons":

Being land animals, dinosaurs (or dragons of the land) were created on Day Six (Genesis 1:24–31), went aboard Noah’s Ark (Genesis 6:20), and then came off the Ark into the post-Flood world (Genesis 8:16–19). It makes sense that many cultures would have seen these creatures from time to time before they died out.

And here's their position on Biblical unicorns:

The biblical unicorn was a real animal, not an imaginary creature. ... The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence. (Think of the dodo bird. It does not exist today, but we do not doubt that it existed in the past.). ... To think of the biblical unicorn as a fantasy animal is to demean God’s Word, which is true in every detail.

The Kentucky blogger fumes:

Kentucky will now be known as the state whose governor endorsed and gave $40 million in tax breaks to people who want to tell children that science and history explain that a 600 year old man herded dinosaurs, fire-breathing dragons and unicorns onto a big boat 4,000 years ago.
Our truth consists of illusions that we have forgotten are illusions - Nietzsche
matrixdutch

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Kentucky Creationist Museum Will Feature Dragons, Unicor

Postby psynapz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:07 am

and the D&D nerds rejoice for 1d20 seconds...

their long, feckless weekends now vindicated by foes of yore

I wonder if TSR will seek sponsorship opportunities?

Edited to add: or sue them for copyright violations?
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 am

The ancient "unicorn" was a rhino, see for example the description given by Herodotus.

And obviously there is also evidence of the contemporary existence of dinosaurs and men.

So which bit do you think is newsworthy in this story?
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby matrixdutch » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 am

Stephen Morgan wrote:
And obviously there is also evidence of the contemporary existence of dinosaurs and men.

It wasn't obvious to me. Links?
Our truth consists of illusions that we have forgotten are illusions - Nietzsche
matrixdutch

Postby Simulist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Hey, they already featured talking snakes.

Are dragons and unicorns really such a big leap from there?
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Stephen Morgan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:04 pm

matrixdutch wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:

I refer you to Forbidden Archaeology, which is a book.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby matrixdutch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:24 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:
matrixdutch wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:

I refer you to Forbidden Archaeology, which is a book.

I read that book some 15 years ago so I don't recall much. However I'm not sure I can stand by Cremo's research at this time as it seems a bit suspect in reference to research done at the academic level which undergoes a peer review process. However, I will take the time to go over his work. Thanks.
matrixdutch

Return to Religion and the Occult