24-year old Abu Ghraib detainee dies of 'natural causes'

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

24-year old Abu Ghraib detainee dies of 'natural causes'

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:24 pm

According to the <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.mnf-iraq.com/Releases/Mar/060316b.html">press release</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> from the "Multi-National Force":<br><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>March 16, 2006<br><br>Release A060316b<br><br>Detainee dies at Abu Ghraib<br><br>ABU GHRAIB, Iraq—A 24-year-old male security detainee died the afternoon of March 15 of apparent natural causes at Abu Ghraib.<br><br>Detainee was found unconscious, and the medical staff immediately began CPR in order to revive the detainee. He was pronounced dead at 1:30 p.m. by an attending physician.<br><br>The military Criminal Investigation Division is investigating the incident, which is standard procedure after any detainee death.<br><br>The remains will be transferred to the family after the investigation, in accordance with standard procedure.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 24-year old Abu Ghraib detainee dies of 'natural causes'

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm

Now if it really were 'natural causes' that really would be news.<br><br>Doors singer Jim Morrison died 'of a heart attack' at age 27.<br>His father was one of the top Pentagon generals waging the Vietnam War.<br><br>Alfred McCoy, author of 'The Politics of Heroin' has a book out now on the history of CIA torture.<br><br>'A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror'<br><br>www.americanempireproject.com <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Military launches largest Iraqi air assault since...

Postby Gouda » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:32 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/03/16/iraq.main/index.html">edition.cnn.com/2006/WORL...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Military launches largest Iraqi air assault since invasion - <br>Body count rises in Baghdad</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. and Iraqi forces on Thursday launched the largest air assault operation since the invasion of Iraq nearly three years ago, the U.S. military said.<br><br>More than 50 aircraft are involved in Operation Swarmer, supporting more than 1,500 Iraqi and U.S. troops near Samarra, about 75 miles (121 kilometers) north of Baghdad.<br><br>The aircraft also delivered troops from the Iraq and U.S. Army to "multiple objectives."<br><br>The offensive began Thursday morning in southern Salaheddin province "to clear a suspected insurgent operating area northeast of Samarra," the site of the bombing of the Shiite shrine that escalated sectarian tensions and pushed Iraq to the brink of civil war...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Re: Military launches largest Iraqi air assault since...

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:46 pm

The Rumsfeld Pentagon really wants that 'civil war,' doesn't it?<br>Social Darwinism: Crank up adversity and see who's still standing. <br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>My heart goes out to our troops</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> caught up in this deliberately manufactured hell being marketed as a multi-generational 'Clash of Civilisations.'<br><br>So many well-meaning Americans caught by their own fantasies about the 'American Dream' which have been put there to be harvested by the Grim Reaper and Donald Rumsfeld.<br><br>The people in the Pentagon are played with mind viruses, too, to get a 'with us or against us' result. Just doing 'their jobs' has them essentially being held hostage by the terrorists in White House.<br><br>I have a photo of Eisenhower at JFK's inauguration. His face shows the pain of knowing what had happened to our republic during his presidency that he hinted at in his warning against the "military industrial complex."<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

My heart goes out to our troops

Postby nomo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm

Don't forget the countless innocent bystanders who will surely die because of these attacks on "suspected insurgents" in their "operating area."<br><br>At this stage, I'm no longer "supportive" of our troops. They're NOT protecting America, and they're NOT liberating Iraq. It should be clear to anyone with half a brain in the army that what they're being told to do amounts to nothing less but war crimes. <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Re: My heart goes out to our troops and the rest, yup.

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:24 pm

The thousands of victims of Pentagon/CIA activities are on my pagan prayer list, of course.<br><br>Torture 'science' has found that internalized torture and betrayal by allies is the most psychically painful.<br><br>I'm thinking of our troops and even brass who lost their formerly clear view of an enemy and are twisting in realization of what they have been pulled into yet don't see a way to escape the nightmare.<br><br>What happens to the mind when it realizes it has been killing its own family, the human family, not protecting it? But it can't stop?<br><br>Scientific fascism intentionally sabotages the mental health of Americans to reap control and violence.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>To be a revolutionary today is to be a therapist and a healer, not a fighter.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 3/16/06 3:25 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Hugh, that's a great quote

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:38 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"To be a revolutionary today is to be a therapist and a healer, not a fighter."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>I've been thinking this afternoon about what <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>all of this</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> does to us, and how we have to take care of ourselves so the knowledge doesn't crush us even before we engage it outside of our own heads. <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

FOX: Detainee "Taking Advantage" Of Being Tortured

Postby nomo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:03 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>I know, it's FOX, but still. Sigh.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://thinkprogress.org/2006/03/16/taking-advantage-of-torture/">thinkprogress.org/2006/03...f-torture/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>FOX News: Abu Ghraib Detainee Is ‘Taking Advantage’ Of Being Tortured<br><br>Yesterday, the hosts of Fox News’ “Fox and Friends” questioned the motives of former Abu Ghraib detainee Ali Shalal Qaissi (aka “Clawman”) for speaking out about his situation.<br><br> BARBER: He’s taking advantage of this in a lot of ways. He’s put this picture on his business card and is working for a human rights group, trumpeting this.<br><br> HILL: So this article is very sympathetic to this guy.<br><br> DOOCY: Sure.<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://images1.americanprogress.org/il80web20037/ThinkProgress/2006/clawman2.320.240.mov">[Watch videoclip.]</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>The FOX hosts aren’t the first right wingers to make light of torture in Abu Ghraib. <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://thismodernworld.com/2749">This Modern World</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> and <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://americablog.blogspot.com/2006/03/abu-ghraib-detainee-sodomized-with.html">AMERICAblog</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> have more.<br><br><br>Full transcript below:<br><br> HILL: Meanwhile, over the weekend if you read the New York Times you saw an article about a man who allegedly was the man featured in one of the photos from Abu Ghraib and he was dressed head to toe — that’s the one, arms stretched out, he had electrical wires sticking out of his arms. Well, they IDed him in this article as, Ali Shalal Qaissi, 43 years old, says he works for a human rights organization.<br><br> BARBER: <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>He’s taking advantage of this in a lot of ways. He’s put this picture on his business card and is working for a human rights group, trumpeting this.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br> HILL: So this article is very sympathetic to this guy.<br><br> DOOCY: Sure. <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Re: FOX: Detainee "Taking Advantage" Of Being Tort

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:55 pm

When a judge ruled that the names of Gitmo prisoners had to be released, the Christian Science Monitor ran an article with excerpts supposedly from military tribunal transcripts to portray the prisoners as deranged lying troublemakers.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/pri/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=887277">www.publicbroadcasting.ne..._ID=887277</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"That was quite a story that you told us today," says one unnamed member of the US tribunal.<br><br>This is not to say that the documents depict life at Guant namo as a sort of Gilbert and Sullivan comic opera, "The Pirates of Gitmo." Much hard evidence against the detainees remains classified, for one thing. And a number of detainees are described as unrepentant, violent, and even deranged.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Al Ajmi has been constantly in trouble since being shipped to Guant namo, notes his file.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>He disregards orders to stay dressed, and has stood naked in his cell.<br><br>"This detainee is regressing," says a summary of his mental state.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Dancing on the grave of the death of satire.... <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Hugh, that's a great quote

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:08 pm

What a coincidence.<br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>That's the second time in a day that it has been suggested to me that knowledge was dangerous to the knower.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> What prompts that response I wonder? Poking my amygdala? Seems to be more than traditional cautionaries about eating from the tree of knowledge.<br><br>Maybe not. I've said I hold on to my 'post-awareness stress disorder' as a motivator to make sense out of the New World Disorder.<br><br>Jeff wrote-<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I've been thinking this afternoon about what all of this does to us, and how we have to <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>take care of ourselves so the knowledge doesn't crush us</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> even before we engage it outside of our own heads.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://p216.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm10.showMessageRange?topicID=3453.topic&start=21&stop=40">p216.ezboard.com/frigorou...21&stop=40</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> thoughtographer<br>Registered Member<br>Posts: 37<br>(3/15/06 1:37 pm)<br>Reply New Post Re: Thanks for that.<br><br> Quote:'Breaking the Code Breaks the Spell.'<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Or it leads to madness.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>............<br>Just to clarify, I meant "madness" as in "lunacy". Regardless, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>the number of people I choose to share my opinions with gets smaller by the day</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, and that's a direct result of an extremely negative series of personal experiences in my recent history. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Unchecked enthusiasm can lead to trouble</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> if you're not careful, or at least, that's my experience.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 3/16/06 5:18 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Hugh, that's a great quote

Postby Gouda » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:49 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"To be a revolutionary today is to be a therapist and a healer, not a fighter."<br><br>I've been thinking this afternoon about what all of this does to us, and how we have to take care of ourselves so the knowledge doesn't crush us even before we engage it outside of our own heads.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br>To this, I must share something a friend, also wrestling with these complexities, shared with me. I could not express this better. He wrote: <br><br>"...morality is simple, perhaps, but life definitely ain't. Morality demands of us that we build wattle-and-daub huts and hunt for nuts and berries, perhaps grow some pumpkins and beans and chiles on a patch of garden. Yet morality also demands that we provide our children with a heated home and the proverbial three squares a day, among other things. Morality also demands…at least in degree, that we resist the encroachments of evil. I think this takes priority over personal betterment. To what degree, I have yet to figure out. Does it take priority over parental responsibilities? That's some question, after all, to a very great degree, it is a parental responsibility. My health and well being must demand something of my time and I will be rewarded for the time spent thereupon. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>I may not be rewarded in a significant way for some act of participation against war and obscene profits--this does not absolve me from the obligation to so act…. </strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>To the universe at large, our enlightenment is as irrelevant as our immiseration. If our enlightenment is not beneficial to our little world, then we have failed on our own level. Maybe I am overly infected with ethical dualism, if that be the term for it. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>But the corporate [fascist] class will allow neither dissent nor withdrawal...</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->We are obligated to our posterity and to our millieu--dharma, if you will...<br><br>Howard Zinn mentions how the civil rights movement started chanting in the late sixties "too much love, too much love, nothing kills a nigger like too much love." Coltrane's "Alabama," in my view, his best piece by a long shot, was a response to the four little girls murdered by rednecks who blew up their church. His sax part was a sort of musical recitation of King's funeral oration for these girls. In the Jackson LOTR, in the second film, Theoden of Rohan asks "what can man do against such reckless hate?" The answer he comes to is to ride out and meet it head on.<br><br>But how exactly can we do this? Perhaps I am so angry because I cannot discharge myself against Sauron-Bush. My first responsibilities are to my family, and I cannot fulfill these hopping buses to demonstrations and spending quality time in jail. So I write and try not to fester. That I cannot discharge myself in other ways I am sure contributes to my rancor. But Spring is almost here and that should ease some of this.<br><br>I note a consistency with my previous statement <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>that while my thoughts race towards revenge, my actions are more focused on healing.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> As such, my actions are more geared towards surviving the onslaught of Bushdom than confronting it. I am always looking towards acquiring skills, either for myself, the kids...which will serve us once Bushworld collapses and we are thrown back on a premodern way of living...we shall see.<br><br>We must do damage, not because of a moral imperative, but because that is the nature of life--all things on fire, if you like--and we must damage both ourselves and others. The moral imperative lies in minimizing the damage where possible and in full awareness of it, which necessitates such things as sorrow, shame and regret.<br><br>The Roman stoics said, the fates carry those who will, those who won't they drag. And Ossie Davis told Spike Lee to always do the right thing. Forgive the split infinitive."<br><br>***<br><br>You can see, in his words, the internal battle - to know when to fight and to know when to heal. Both are needed against what we face. I think it thus becomes all the more important to unite and to lend a hand to those struggling at various stages in the game - a fighter may need some healing; a healer, or person healed, may be ready to fight. <br><br>***<br><br>"Out of control, in the wilderness again<br>It's where I fight for my soul, I can see no end<br>When you know the name of the game, you can never play enough. Every drop of blood is the same, and you can never shed enough"<br><br>-- From "Mother of Pearl", Bryan Ferry <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Deadly delusions

Postby nomo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:37 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.guerrillanews.com/headlines/8138/Fighting_for_Their_Lies">www.guerrillanews.com/hea...Their_Lies</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>Fighting for Their Lies<br>Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:17:40 -0800<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Summary:<br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>If American soldiers can now be deliberately manipulated into fighting a war based on a transparent and publicly proven lie, in the service of the political ambitions and personal fortunes of a partisan faction, then we are well and truly through the looking-glass.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br>[Posted By ShiftShapers]<br><br>By Chris Floyd<br>Republished from Empire Burlesque<br><br><br><br>The Deadly Delusions of America's Troops<br><br>While much has been made of the recent poll showing that a majority of U.S. troops on the ground in Iraq think we should get out – heartening news for all those who oppose Bush’s bloodsoaked war crime – the poll contained another revelation that should disturb anyone – anti-war or pro-war – who still believes in American democracy: the fact that some 85 percent of US forces in Iraq believe they are fighting to avenge Saddam Hussein’s role in the September 11 attacks. (Alex Sabbeth at Consortiumnews.com has more on this, and on Bush’s broader propaganda war, in America Anesthetized.)<br><br>Saddam Hussein played no role in the September 11 attacks, of course; even the Warmonger-in-Chief has been forced to admit this indisputable fact, in public. It has also been confirmed by multiple investigations by the intelligence services, and even by the whitewashing, Bush-run, see-no-evil-unless-it-speaks-Arabic 9/11 Commission. Yet American troops have been thoroughly inculcated with this false notion – no doubt deliberately.<br><br>The dangers of infecting the armed forces with such partisan propaganda are immense. First, think of how this notion has skewed the reaction of American soldiers to the Iraqi people, especially anyone accused or suspected – for whatever reason, or none at all – of being an insurgent, or a “Baathist diehard,” etc. To an American soldier blinded by the deliberate Bush lies, such people would appear to be nothing but evil terrorists complicit in the murder of thousands of innocent Americans. And in fact, all Iraqis would be tarred by this brush: for how could a soldier out on patrol distinguish which of the seething mass of foreigners surrounding him had been a supporter of the man who (supposedly) attacked America?<br><br>Putting deluded soldiers in such a position, fed with such lies, is a formula certain to produce atrocities and abuse. No wonder we have seen so many cases of American soldiers being quick on the trigger, quick with the boot and the fist, belligerent and brutal in tumultuous house searches, eager to “soften up” prisoners for CIA interrogators, and so on. Most of them believe they are there to avenge murdered Americans, and that anyone who opposes their presence – or even looks at them wrong – must be part of the system that (supposedly) produced 9/11.<br><br>The evil of this deliberate policy is great in itself; but the broader implications are perhaps even worse. For consider this: if American troops can be propagandized to believe such a transparent lie about Iraq’s non-existent connection to 9/11 – what can’t they be manipulated into believing?<br><br>And remember, this mass military delusion has been manufactured in an age when soldiers have far more access to outside information than ever before (despite the Pentagon’s strenuous efforts to clamp down on anything Don Rumsfeld doesn’t want them to hear). Can they be made to believe that, say, the government of Hugo Chavez is directly tied to al Qaeda and must be overthrown? Can they be made to believe that Saddam’s non-existent weapons of mass destruction are actually parked in Damascus and must be seized by force? Can they be made to believe that Iran is sending agents across the Iraqi border to kill them and is about to nuke their loved ones in the Homeland as well?<br><br>(The latter is in fact the latest propaganda campaign from the Bushists: Rumsfeld rolled out the Iranian infiltration line just yesterday, despite its utter and transparent foolishness: why would the Iranians seek to destabilize an Iraqi regime that, thanks to Bush, is now dominated by Shiite factions that were nurtured, armed, trained and financed by Tehran itself? And of course, this week both Dick Cheney and John “I’m Not Foaming at the Mouth, It’s a Moustache” Bolton were pounding the war drums over the Iranian nuclear ‘threat’ – at about the same time their boss was rewarding India for its own secret nuclear arms program, with a deal that guarantees the dangerous proliferation of nuclear weapons in one of the world’s most volatile regions.)<br><br>But why stop with new foreign aggression? If American soldiers can be manipulated into believing the non-existent connection between Saddam and al Qaeda – why not a non-existent connection between some domestic faction and terrorism? What if you convinced the troops that, say, some Democratic leader was a traitor in league with terrorists? Or the anti-war movement in general? Or environmentalists? Or Muslims? Or Mexicans? Or Jews? Or any other group that some president down the line – armed with the dictatorial powers seized by Bush under the rule of the “unitary executive” – decides to eliminate?<br><br>We have, once again, crossed a dangerous Rubicon. If American soldiers can now be deliberately manipulated into fighting a war based on a transparent and publicly proven lie, in the service of the political ambitions and personal fortunes of a partisan faction, then we are well and truly through the looking-glass. We have reached the same pitch of civic degradation as the late Roman Republic, where the legions became the tools of ruthless warlords, jockeying for dominance, despoiling whole peoples and slaughtering thousands in the process. Once unlimbered, this weapon will be used again and again. With each passing day, the Bush Factionists – and all their many sycophants and enablers, in both parties, throughout the Establishment – are sowing a monstrous future for America, and the world.<br> <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Return to Iraq