From Raw Story

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

From Raw Story

Postby sunny » Mon May 22, 2006 12:19 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://rawstory.com/">rawstory.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Developing, so no story yet, but <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Bush, Blair plan major Iraq Announcement</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>I don't care what the motives are or if the result is a 90% approval rating for Rat Bush, but I hope they say we are "cutting and running." <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: From Raw Story

Postby professorpan » Mon May 22, 2006 12:31 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I don't care what the motives are or if the result is a 90% approval rating for Rat Bush, but I hope they say we are "cutting and running."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>It'll never happen. The U.S. is there in perpetuity, or until the locals overrun the heavily-fortified permanent bases. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby sunny » Mon May 22, 2006 12:42 pm

professorpan, you are undoubtedly right. BUt a joint announcement by those two goobers must portend something major. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Postby chiggerbit » Mon May 22, 2006 12:42 pm

Any chance that this is one of those deliberate distractions intended to take attention from some other breaking news about to come? <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby sunny » Mon May 22, 2006 12:46 pm

chiggerbit, that is <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>always</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> a possibility. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Postby Gouda » Mon May 22, 2006 1:00 pm

warning: amateur economic input... <br><br>i always check the dollar vs euro when the static electricity has got our collective hair on end. It's been tanking all day, after a slight recovery late last week, after having tanked all month. Dow tanking too, again. Gold not doing much though. <br><br>CNN quick vote: <br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>Do you think falling share prices are a forerunner to more serious economic turmoil?<br><br>Yes 65% 3576 votes<br>No 35% 1958 votes<br>Total: 5534 votes <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Postby professorpan » Mon May 22, 2006 1:29 pm

"Phased Withdrawal"<br><br>Raw has an update:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Report_Bush_Blair_to_announce_phased_0522.html">www.rawstory.com/news/200..._0522.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>LONDON -- Tony Blair and George Bush will announce that they are to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq at a summit in Washington as early as this week, RAW STORY has learned.<br><br>The process has already been carefully choreographed in an attempt to bolster the popularity of both Bush and Blair who have suffered domestically for their handling of the war.<br><br>The scope of the phased withdrawal, which will see the 133,000 US force levels cut to around 100,000 by the end of the year and British numbers almost halved, has already been agreed, one senior defence source said. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Postby sunny » Mon May 22, 2006 1:34 pm

Not exactly a withdrawal, eh? Seems a recipe for disaster for the troops left on the ground.<br><br>As soon as the elections are over, the troops will go right back in, possibly supplemented by a draft.<br><br>As I said in another thread, I wish the troops would just lay down arms and refuse to further cooperate. I know, I know, never gonna happen. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Postby sunny » Mon May 22, 2006 1:41 pm

Upon further reflection, I think this "phased withdrawal" sounds a lot like the constant propaganda coming out of the Nixon WH about troop withdrawals that were in reality normal rotations of troops.<br><br>See: <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Observing the Nixon Years</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> a book of essays by Jonathon Schell. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Re:This is really a British withdrawal with some US covering

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Mon May 22, 2006 1:58 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The scope of the phased withdrawal, which will see the 133,000 US force levels cut to around 100,000 by the end of the year <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>and British numbers almost halved</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, has already been agreed, one senior defence source said.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>The US will 'stay the course' and juggle special forces for quite a while.<br><br>There's a British MP now calling for re-opening the David Kelly murder investigation linked to the 'dodgy dossier,' too. <br><br>Hot times ahead for Blair and the American blogosphere should work to bring it over here as much as possible. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Return to Iraq