Lloyd's insurer sues Saudi Arabia for 'funding 9/11 attacks'

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:13 pm

By Cahal Milmo, Chief Reporter

Monday, 19 September 2011

A Lloyd's insurance syndicate has begun a landmark legal case against Saudi Arabia, accusing the kingdom of indirectly funding al-Qa'ida and demanding the repayment of £136m it paid out to victims of the 9/11 attacks.

The Brighton-based Lloyd's 3500 syndicate, which paid $215m compensation to companies and individuals involved, alleges that the oil-rich Middle Eastern superpower bears primary responsibility for the atrocity because al-Qa'ida was supported by banks and charities acting as "agents and alter egos" for the Saudi state.

The detailed case, which names a number of prominent Saudi charities and banks as well as a leading member of the al-Saud royal family, will cause embarrassment to the Saudi government, which has long denied claims that Osama bin Laden's organisation received official financial and practical support from his native country.

Outlined in a 156-page document filed in western Pennsylvania, where United Airlines flight 93 crashed on 9/11, the claim suggests that the nine defendants "knowingly" provided resources, including funding, to al-Qa'ida in the years before the attack and encouraged anti-Western sentiment which increased support for the terror group.

The legal claim states: "Absent the sponsorship of al-Qa'ida's material sponsors and supporters, including the defendants named therein, al-Qa'ida would not have possessed the capacity to conceive, plan and execute the 11 September attacks. The success of al-Qa'ida's agenda, including the 11 September attacks themselves, has been made possible by the lavish sponsorship al-Qa'ida has received from its material sponsors and supporters over more than a decade leading up to 11 September 2001."

The Lloyd's syndicate is known as a "run-off", meaning that it does not accept new premiums on the Lloyd's of London insurance market and instead deals with historic claims. In the wake of the 9/11 attacks, its members settled a raft of multimillion-pound claims from affected businesses, including airlines, airports and security companies, as well as injured individuals and relatives of those killed.

Its complaint, which quotes heavily from US diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks detailing investigations by the US authorities into al-Qa'ida, attempts to establish funding links between some Saudi charities, and the terror group, and implicate the Saudi government in that funding through its support of the charities.

The case singles out the activities of a charity, the Saudi Joint Relief Committee for Kosovo and Chechnya (SJRC), which was alleged by UN officials to have been used as a cover by several al-Qa'ida operatives, including two men who acted as directors of the charity. It is alleged that at the time the SJRC was under the control of Prince Naif bin Abdul Aziz al-Saud, half-brother of King Abdullah and the long-standing Saudi Interior minister. The claim states: "Between 1998 and 2000, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, through the SJRC, diverted more than $74m to al-Qa'ida members and loyalists affiliated with SJRC bureaus. Throughout this time, the Committee was under the supervision and control of Saudi Interior Minister Prince Naif bin Abdul Aziz."

The Saudi embassies in London and Washington did not respond to requests from The Independent for a response to the allegations in the claim. The 9/11 Commission, America's official report on the attacks, found that there was no evidence that the Saudi government or senior Saudi officials individually funded al-Qa'ida.

Diplomatic cables obtained by WikiLeaks showed that American officials remained concerned that the Saudi authorities were not doing enough to stop money being passed to the terror group by Saudi citizens.

Independent
Seamus OBlimey

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Lloyd's insurer sues Saudi Arabia for 'funding 9/11 atta

Postby elfismiles » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Interesting! Thanks for finding and posting this Seamus
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:52 am

Holy Mother of God!

There, that comment will notify me via emails of updates. Very nice catch Seamus!

The hijackers were saudis, funded by saudi banks and the royal family, led by a leading saudi tycoon with connections to the royal family. Remember the emergency flights out of senior saudi's in the US immediately after 911, when no-one else was allowed to fly? Does anyone doubt the Saudi's were the go-to guys for this assignment? I mean, its not as if the planning or the hijackers exactly went unnoticed.

The House of Saud. I'm not sure they are very nice people. Some folk think the West panders to them, that the West is scared of them, or that it needs their oil, or their strategic influence.

I don't buy that.

They rely on the West utterly. The West put them where they are today, and could easily arrange for their removal.* That's not to say they don't get uppity once in a while.

So, where does that leave us?

Anyway, I gotta watch this story!

* especially with recent events regarding the so-called "Arab Spring."
Hammer of Los

Postby chump » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:02 am

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/ea ... 216580.htm

:roll:
Lloyd’s Syndicate Withdraws 9/11 Lawsuit Against Saudi Arabia
September 20, 2011
Attorney Stephen Cozen of law firm Cozen O’Connor, who represents Lloyd’s, told Insurance Journal that he cannot comment on why Lloyd’s decided to drop the case 13 days after filing the complaint. He said, however, the suit could be refiled and also that there could be other similar lawsuits filed by other insurers in the future.
Cozen said he cannot talk about the lawsuit other than to say “that we were instructed to voluntarily dismiss without prejudice. That of course means that the suit is free to be refiled and certainly similar suits may be filed by others,” he said.
chump

Postby barracuda » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:37 pm

$215 million dollars is approximately the revenue generated by one-quarter of one day of Saudi oil production.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Hammer of Los » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:56 am

barracuda wrote:$215 million dollars is approximately the revenue generated by one-quarter of one day of Saudi oil production.

My god, that rather puts it into perspective.

I guess they may just pay out and hush it all up then. Nothing to see here, move along. Other than that would establish some sort of liability which may go beyond a civil case, I suppose. I'm not a legal expert of any kind, sadly.

On edit I see that they dropped the case anyway.

And there I was getting all excited. I should really know better by now.
Hammer of Los

Postby chump » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:02 am

Speaking of court cases:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 58678.html .

Litigation in the Name of Mark L. Bavis Comes to an End

Final 9/11 wrongful death lawsuit reaches settlement

BOSTON, Sept. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Bavis family of Roslindale, MA reached a settlement with United Airlines and Huntleigh USA. The following is a public letter from the family:

After ten long years, our family has had a change in position regarding the litigation on behalf of our son and brother, Mark. Mark was a passenger aboard United Airlines Flight 175 when it crashed into the World Trade Center. This change is the result of a recent ruling by the Honorable Judge Alvin Hellerstein. With the stroke of his pen, Judge Hellerstein very cleverly changed this lawsuit. The lawsuit was about wrongful death, gross negligence and a complete lack of appreciation for the value of human life. He instead made it a case about a federal regulation. He ignored 100 years of aviation law and relied on an environmental case to apply federal preemption. He essentially gutted the case so that the truth about what led to the events of Sept. 11, 2001, would never be told at trial.

To the families of the 9/11 victims: We can honestly say that our family envisioned a day when you could hear all the evidence, evidence that would provide an important step in moving beyond the events of that day. This process has taken a toll on us that only you could understand. We fought this long for two reasons, because we valued Mark's life in the time spent together, the shared experiences and the expectation of what life would continue to be. Secondly, the truth as to why this happened so easily should be important. Mark did not have to endure the tragedy that ended his life and neither did your loved ones.

Due to our family's refusal to settle before this time, our attorneys at Motley Rice LLC have been able to conduct the most comprehensive investigation to date regarding how the airlines and airport security companies failed so miserably on 9/11 and in the days, weeks and months leading up to 9/11. Motley Rice's attorneys have recovered ten times more information than the 9/11 Commission in regards to the failure of the aviation industry.

Why? Because we, and other 9/11 families, wanted answers. We want that information to be available to whoever cares to read it. It is important to us that some change comes out of the information held in those briefs. The system is clearly broken when an industry like aviation has enough power to keep a federal agency such as the FAA from implementing more stringent security measures, especially during a heightened terrorism threat level. The tail is wagging the dog, and someone in Washington needs to stand up and start holding people accountable.

It is not out of the question that our country could endure a similar event in the future. Such a tragedy, however, should never again be the result of lack of oversight or preparation or because lobbyists have so much influence and power in Washington, D.C., that American lives are at risk. Our government's job is to protect the people—from foreign armies, terrorists and even our own American corporations. It is time that our elected officials take responsibility for the authority we have given them.

All of the events of September 11, 2001, are open to opinion and discussion, but we believe the easiest way to have prevented the kind of horror and tragedy of 9/11 would have been to have an airline industry that made a reasonable effort to provide security for its passengers. The evidence shows that they most certainly did not.

Lastly, we are thankful to have had a law firm like Motley Rice that was willing to stand by us and fight for the truth. Without them, we would have never learned so much about why this happened. In particular, we want to thank Don Migliori, Mary Schiavo and their entire team.

Bavis Family
SOURCE The Bavis family
chump

Postby elfismiles » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 am

Original Investigation:
Saudi Royal Ties to 9/11 Hijackers Via Florida Saudi Family?

By Russ Baker on Sep 22, 2011

http://whowhatwhy.com/2011/09/22/saudi- ... -family-0/

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 am

The first and only time you'll see me recommending a Fox documentary. But for whatever reason, Fox really hits it out of the park with this one.

Combine that with this:

and this
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... 011-201108

To me its a slamdunk case showing Saudi Arabia was a major muscle behind 9/11 in so many aspects

As well as the UAE, as seen here
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Duh. Why do you think CIA-Fox pushed that crap? Cause they want to tell you the truth?? Oh come on.
Oh! And CIA-CBS will lead you down the P-Tech path of ay-rabs infiltrating US software?!!!
Hey! Maybe GHWBush will tell you all about CIA cocaine smuggling! :roll:

Ech. Disinfo spew top to bottom.
P-Tech is a red herring to add an 'outsider' aroma to the cyber-angle which is Inside. It's there to fool naive agency people with some cyber-awareness and you, 8bitagent.

No "hijackers" flying the planes so no "Saudi backing."

Technology only. US technology from the INSIDE of the spook agency 'red team' community.
Plane software during a US wargame, US demolition materials, US media-controlled cover-up.
Maybe some dupes tricked onto the flights, maybe not. Almost irrelevant.

'Made in America.'
Not Saudi Arabia. for the umpteenth time.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Return to 9/11