Journalists met with Bush to create post-9/11 talking points

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Journalists met with Bush to create post-9/11 talking points

Postby NavnDansk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:32 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.unknownnews.org/061009-Reporters-who-dont.html">www.unknownnews.org/06100...-dont.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Journalists from Newsweek, Atlantic Monthly met with Bush to create post-9/11 talking points<br><br>by Julie Bosman, New York Times<br>Oct. 9, 2006<br><br>It was the kind of shadowy, secret Washington meeting that Bob Woodward is fond of describing in detail. In his new book, State of Denial, he writes that on Nov. 29, 2001, a dozen policy makers, Middle East experts and members of influential policy research organizations gathered in Virginia at the request of Paul D. Wolfowitz, then the deputy secretary of defense. Their objective was to produce a report for President Bush and his cabinet outlining a strategy for dealing with Afghanistan and the Middle East in the aftermath of 9/11.<br> <br>What was more unusual, Mr. Woodward reveals, was the presence of journalists at the meeting. Fareed Zakaria, the editor of Newsweek International and a Newsweek columnist, and Robert D. Kaplan, now a national correspondent for The Atlantic Monthly, attended the meeting and, according to Mr. Kaplan, signed confidentiality agreements not to discuss what happened......<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Commentary by Madeline Zane:<br><br>As an aside, it's a little funny that the report of this unethical trampling of the line between government agent and journalist is brought to you by Bob Woodward, who bravely stopped cozying up to the Bush administration when he realized he could sell more books that way ... and that the New York Times buried this story in their "Media and Advertising" section.<br><br><br>Commentary by Helen & Harry Highwater:<br><br>Doesn't this seem darn peculiar to you? Why would reporters be invited behind the scenes to help shape governmental public relations points?<br><br>It seems like the kind of meeting reporters might want to report about ... but instead the reporters were present at "a brainstorming session," after signing "confidentiality agreements" promising not to report what happened.<br><br>If I was running Newsweek or Atlantic Monthly I'd want reporters to report the news, not sit on it.And if I was reading either publication, I'd want to know that these reporters have cleared out their desks, left the building, and won't be coming back. But there's no indication these 'reporters' are in any trouble at all.<br><br>Helen & Harry<br><br>filed under: Journalism, censorship, and <br>propaganda<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=navndansk>NavnDansk</A> at: 10/27/06 9:35 am<br></i>
NavnDansk

Blog: View Blog (0)

Nyts mouthpiece of crooks, killers and liars

Postby darkbeforedawn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:49 am

So now the fucking NYTs is trying to play the "real" journalists? Ha! After their shameless war mongering and distortion of anything resembling facts about WMD and the 2004 election....I don't know about you, but this makes me puke. The NYTs as much as any one entity drove this catastrophy known as the war with Iraq as well as the destruction of our rights under the auspices of the "war on terror". They are criminals, liars warmongers and worse and they are pointing their bloody fingers at other journalists. They were almost a publicity organ for Bush during his glory days...doesn't anyone remember? <p></p><i></i>
darkbeforedawn

Re: I remember - it is good to remind people when

Postby NavnDansk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:00 pm

the media or others try to change hats. The same is true of Woodward, who has turned on bush in print after writing 2 books building him up as superhero.<br><br>It is like the Soviet Union, having to read in between the lines to see who is in power or at least which side is pulling the strings and in which direction.<br><br>The downfall of bush will probably be another media extravaganza distraction from the horrors of the slave labor, torture, mass murder and possible attack on Iran.<br><br>I do think that Conyers, Waxman and other lesser known democrats will prosecute this current crop of nazis. <p></p><i></i>
NavnDansk

Our fondest hopes...

Postby darkbeforedawn » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:04 pm

Heres to the dream of seeing them behind bars NVD. May we all celebrate this long awaited day together on this board! <p></p><i></i>
darkbeforedawn

Re: Our fondest hopes...

Postby Gouda » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:19 pm

The board nails it twice. <br><br>Woodward: Journalists Attended Secret Iraq Strategy Mtg.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://p216.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm24.showMessage?topicID=336.topic">p216.ezboard.com/frigorou...=336.topic</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Re: Our fondest hopes...

Postby Gouda » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Actually, they did <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>not</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> meet with Bush. <br><br>Wolfowitz called the meeting and they hashed out some pro-war plus points for a report for Bush - as if Bush and Cabinet needed pro-war arguments - as if this was not already planned and moving before 911. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Re: Journalists met with Bush to create post-9/11 talking po

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:47 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://tmh.floonet.net/articles/cia_press.html">tmh.floonet.net/articles/cia_press.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>THE CIA AND THE MEDIA<br>BY CARL BERNSTEIN<br>10/20/1977<br>.....<br>In most instances, Agency files show, officials at the highest levels of the CIA usually director or deputy director) <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>dealt personally with a single designated individual in the top management of the cooperating news organization.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> The aid furnished often took two forms: providing jobs and credentials “journalistic cover” in Agency parlance) for CIA operatives about to be posted in foreign capitals; <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>and lending the Agency the undercover services of reporters already on staff, including some of the best&#8209;known correspondents in the business.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>And Karl Rove went to Hollywood to meet with studio honchos right after 9/11, too, and the NYTimes reported it.<br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 10/27/06 2:52 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Return to 9/11