mccain made a mistake choosing palin.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

mccain made a mistake choosing palin.

Postby bigearth » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:45 am

it was just a cheap trick from mccain, now it looks like it's backfiring, ahahaha!

right wing muppets!

'Hillary's women' reject McCain's VP choice

By Leonard Doyle in Washington
Wednesday, 17 September 2008

GETTY IMAGES
The National Organiastion for Women has decided endorse Barack Obama and Joe Biden's bid for power, snubbing Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin (above)

Related Articles

* In Videos: Impersonating Sarah Palin
* Could the real Sarah Palin stand up?
* US election diary
* On The Campaign Trail

America's largest women's rights organisation delivered a snub to Sarah Palin's history-making candidacy yesterday by endorsing Barack Obama and Joe Biden's bid for power.

The National Organisation for Women (NOW) is 500,000 strong and hugely influential. The feminist organisation almost never supports a presidential candidate, but the Alaska governor's Christian fundamentalist faith and her opposition to abortion rights has forced its hand.

Other women's rights organisations are also campaigning against Governor Palin, pushed along by a spontaneous anti-Palin movement among women.

In Alaska at the weekend, a Welcome Home rally for Mrs Palin was dwarfed by a demonstration organised by Alaska Women Reject Palin, which was held on the lawn of a downtown Anchorage library.

After triggering a huge surge of enthusiasm for John McCain's campaign and sending him into the lead over Barack Obama, Mrs Palin has come under intense scrutiny from the national media. The investigation known as "Troopergate" threatens to expose her as a bullying governor who fired Alaska's de facto police chief for family rather than professional reasons.

The controversy moved up a notch yesterday when Mrs Palin's campaign team announced her refusal to co-operate with the Troopergate investigation because it was "tainted" by politics.

NOW's decision to back Senator Obama when a woman is within striking distance of becoming elected is a bold step for the group and a setback for John McCain's hopes of luring the millions of women who supported Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries.

"The addition of Sarah Palin gave us a new sense of urgency," Kim Gandy, the head of NOW, told National Public Radio. "She is being portrayed as a supporter of women's rights... as a feminist when in fact her positions on so many of the issues are really anathema to ours.

"A lot of women think it's a great thing for a woman to be running for vice-president," she continued, "but they are completely dismayed when they find out her positions. The idea that she opposes abortion even in cases of rape and incest – those kinds of positions are completely out of step with American women and once they find out about those positions, they get a little less excited."

Last week, Alaska legislators ordered Mrs Palin's husband, Todd, as well as her chief of staff and deputy chief of staff to answer questions at the Troopergate inquiry. Several years ago, Governor Palin's sister went through a custody battle with her ex-husband Trooper Mike Wooten. Efforts to sack Trooper Wooten failed and Governor Palin sacked the safety director Walt Monegan instead. Mrs Palin's refusal to co-operate with the panel could raise more doubts her suitability as a national candidate in the minds of voters.

The governor's creationist beliefs have also emerged as a hurdle. In Wasilla, where she cut her teeth as a Republican mayor, the Rev Howard Bess, a Baptist minister and author of the book Pastor, I am Gay, says his work was on then Mayor Palin's "hit list" for removal from the town's library. "People in city government have confirmed to me what Sarah was trying to do," he said.

Another Wasilla resident, Phil Munger, a music composer and teacher, says she pushed an evangelical agenda in the town. "She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the [school] board. I bumped into her after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God [a church]. I said, 'Sarah, how can you believe in creationism – your father's a science teacher.' And she said, 'We don't have to agree on everything.' I pushed her on the earth's creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she'd seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them."

Mr Munger also asked Mrs Palin if she believed in the End of Days, the doomsday scenario when the Messiah will return. "She looked in my eyes and said, 'Yes, I think I will see Jesus come back to earth in my lifetime'."

link
Last edited by bigearth on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. is it a wise man, who knows that he is not wise
. it's good to have cynicism but not be cynical
. the more truth you live with, in your life, the stronger you are
. intelligence is merely an attitude to knowledge and learning
bigearth

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby bigearth » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Poll finds growing skepticism of Palin experience
Thu Oct 2, 2008 4:55pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A growing proportion of U.S. voters question Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's readiness for the job, according to a national opinion poll reported by The Washington Post on Thursday.

The poll results came as the Alaska governor prepared to face Democrat Joe Biden in the only vice presidential debate before the November 4 election.

About half of all voters surveyed said they were uncomfortable with the idea of Republican presidential nominee John McCain taking office at age 72, and 85 percent of those voters said Palin does not have the experience needed to be president, according to The Washington Post/ABC News poll.

Sixty percent said Palin did not have the experience to be president, up from 45 percent in a similar survey a month ago, the Post said.

About four in 10 conservatives and white evangelical Protestants, three in 10 Republicans and a quarter of Republican women said Palin does not have the necessary experience, the Post said.

A month ago, before she appeared in a series of television interviews, voters rated Palin as highly as they did McCain or Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, the newspaper said.

The biggest shift on Palin has come among independents, a crucial voting group.

In early September, independents were divided on Palin's experience; now they take the negative view by about 2 to 1, the Post reported.

A third of independent voters now indicate they are less likely to support McCain because of Palin, compared with 20 percent who said so in an ABC poll a month ago, the Post said.

Overall, 51 percent of voters view Palin favorably; for Biden, that ratio is 57 percent.

On the understanding of complex issues, Palin runs far behind Biden, a six-term senator and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. About three-quarters of those surveyed said he understands complex issues, compared with 46 percent who said so of her, the poll found.

The telephone poll of 1,070 registered voters was conducted Thursday through Saturday and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

(Reporting by JoAnne Allen; editing by Mohammad Zargham

http://www.reuters.com/article/politics ... G320081002
bigearth

Postby barracuda » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:42 pm

I don't know if I'd call it a mistake. She does lock in the evangelical vote, which would seem to be her purpose, and gives some people a chance to justify their vote as having progressive intent, when what they really may intend is racism.

I doubt if the McHate pros ever intended to win the election via the women's vote per se.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby bigearth » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:19 am

Palin demands $15m to search her own emails

The cost of transparency

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Government, 18th October 2008 00:18 GMT

US vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin isn't saying citizens interested in open government can't get access to her emails. She's just saying it will cost a little.

The office of the Alaska governor, which by state law is required to make such messages public, says it could cost more than $15m for anyone conducting an exhaustive search. Even then, Palin - who ran for governor on a platform of running a clean and transparent government - says requests won't be honored until November 17, two weeks after the presidential election is held.

It's fair to say that interest in Palin's email has spiked since Republican presidential nominee John McCain named her as his running mate. Not only has her office been swamped with requests for copies of state records, but her personal Yahoo email account was breached and some of its contents were posted to the Wikileaks site.

The leak offered evidence strongly suggesting that Palin conducted official state business using the very unofficial gov.palin@yahoo.com email address. Messages sent to it bore subject headings such as "Draft letter to Governor Schwarzenegger," "Court of Appeals Nominations" and "CONFIDENTIAL Ethics Matter." Critics say her use of the Yahoo account could violate Alaska open records laws that require official communications to be available to members of the public.

An Alaska state judge has ordered Palin to preserve the contents of the account.

The emails Palin's office has valued at $15m were sent by various state employees to her husband, Todd, who is not a state employee. State bean counters say it will cost $960.31 to search each employee's account. If email for all 16,000 employees are processed, the exact figure is $15,364,000.96. They figure it will take 13 hours per email account. That figure doesn't include the cost of the paper. The office will only make the email available in hard copy.

Palin may portray herself as a Washington outsider unversed in the sleights of hand politicians use to keep Joe Six-Pack from seeing what's really going on in government. But in Alaska, she knows how it's done. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/18 ... lin_email/
bigearth

Postby bigearth » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:36 pm

'Diva Palin is going rogue,' say McCain backers

By Stephen Foley in New York
Sunday, 26 October 2008

Bitter infighting between advisers to John McCain and his running-mate, Sarah Palin, has exploded into public view, with McCain supporters accusing her of being a "diva" and her own faction warning that they would not let her take the blame if the campaign suffers a heavy defeat.

Anonymous briefing and counter-briefing yesterday suggested Governor Palin is "going rogue" and blaming many of the campaign's senior advisers for her own plummeting poll ratings. The internecine warfare threatened to overwhelm the Republican effort to close the gap with rival Barack Obama in the final days before the election.

"She is a diva," one McCain loyalist told CNN last night. "She takes no advice from anyone. Also, she is playing for her own future and sees herself as the next leader of the party."

The Alaska governor was reported by friends to have been frustrated at being denied day-to-day contact with the media, being forced instead into high-profile TV interviews where her garbled answers have been the stuff of comedy routines ever since.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 73968.html
bigearth

Postby bigearth » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Alaska newspaper endorses Obama

Sarah Palin in Florida, 26 Oct
The paper praises Alaska Governor Palin's passion and charisma

The top newspaper in the home state of Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin has endorsed Democratic candidate Barack Obama for president.

Alaska's largest-circulation paper, the Anchorage Daily News, said state governor Mrs Palin was "too risky" to be one step away from the presidency.

In an editorial it says her nomination "captivated" Alaskans but that must not "overwhelm all other judgment".

The focus should be on John McCain, it said, calling him the "wrong choice".

'Stumbled badly'

The newspaper said many Alaskans were "proud to see their governor, and their state, so prominent on the national stage".

It also described Mrs Palin as a "force to be reckoned with".

Barack Obama in Colorado, 26 Oct
Obama has a "cool, steady hand", the Alaska newspaper says

"Passionate, charismatic and indefatigable, she draws huge crowds and sows excitement in her wake," the editorial reads.

However, it says that Republican presidential candidate John McCain has "stumbled and fumbled badly" in dealing with the economic crisis.

"[John McCain] embraces the extreme Republican orthodoxy he once resisted and cynically asks Americans to buy for another four years", it says.

By contrast, the Daily News suggests, Mr Obama "brings far more promise to the office".

It says: "In a time of grave economic crisis, he displays thoughtful analysis, enlists wise counsel and operates with a cool, steady hand."

In other endorsements over the weekend the Times-Despatch in Richmond, Virginia, backed Mr McCain, saying he was "the clear and unambiguous choice" at a time when national security was the key issue.

The Grand Rapids Press in Michigan supported Mr McCain for his "sheer depth of experience, principled courage and unassailable independence".

But the Baltimore Sun said Mr Obama's "steadiness and thoughtful approach to issues show he has the judgment and depth of knowledge to lead the country".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americ ... 692731.stm
bigearth

Postby bigearth » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:14 am

the air-hostess makes a fool of herself again.

Palin falls for 'Sarkozy' prank call

By Wesley Johnson, PA
Sunday, 2 November 2008
Related Articles

Sarah Palin unwittingly took a prank call from a Canadian comedian who posed as French president Nicolas Sarkozy and told her she would make a good US leader one day.

In the six-minute call, which will air on a Quebec radio station on the eve of the US presidential election, the governor of Alaska misses several hints that the conversation, in which the comedian uses an exaggerated French accent, is a joke.

The McCain-Palin campaign later issued a statement which said Mrs Palin was "mildly amused" and added: "C'est la vie."

During the call with Marc-Antoine Audette and Sebastien Trudel, a Montreal comedy duo known as the Masked Avengers, the moose-hunting Republican running mate talked about how she was a "careful shot", praised Mr Sarkozy, and asked him to give his wife, model-turned-singer Carla Bruni, "a big hug for me".

"I look forward to working with you and getting to meet you personally and your beautiful wife," she told the fake Mr Sarkozy.

"Oh my goodness, you've added a lot of energy to your country with that beautiful family of yours."

When the comedian told her he could see her as a president one day, Mrs Palin laughed and replied: "Maybe in eight years."

She also discussed the perils of hunting with vice president Dick Cheney, who shot and injured a friend while hunting quail in 2006.

"I just love killing those animals. Mmm, mmm, take away life, that is so fun," the fake Mr Sarkozy said.

[ comment: at this point palin laughed, killing small defenceless animals is such fun! ]

After he suggested they should go hunting together by helicopter, she replied: "Well, I think we could have a lot of fun together while we're getting work done.

"We can kill two birds with one stone that way."

The comedian joked that they should not go with Mr Cheney before Mrs Palin added: "I'll be a careful shot."

Playing off Mrs Palin's much-mocked comment in an early television interview that she had insights into foreign policy because "you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska", the comedian told her: "You know we have a lot in common also, because from my house I can see Belgium."

"Well, see, we're right next door to different countries that we all need to be working with, yes," Mrs Palin replied.

[ comment: france doesn't need to "work with" belgium over anything ]

Tracey Schmitt, Mrs Palin's campaign spokeswoman, said: "Governor Palin was mildly amused to learn that she had joined the ranks of heads of state, including President Sarkozy and other celebrities, in being targeted by these pranksters. C'est la vie."

link
bigearth

Postby bigearth » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:17 am

bigearth wrote:When the comedian told her he could see her as a president one day, Mrs Palin laughed and replied: "Maybe in eight years."

palin 2012 anyone?!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Last edited by bigearth on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigearth

Postby zhivkov » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:50 am

Great stuff again bigearth :D I had noticed this little gem somewhere yesterday- talk about a laugh riot! Good observation also, barracuda!

On edit I should add that I think it is very sad that the US has become debased to the point where this walking, talking embodiment of vacuity could be a VP candidate. Of course after having 43 as prez the last 8 years should have told me something. The brains and the souls of these people are so dirty and small I am ashamed to have to share their nationality. In an email to me mum a day or two ago I told her we should have left the US when we had the chance. Thanks again.
"you gave me in secret one thing to perceive, the tall blue starry strangeness of being here at all"-Franz Wright
zhivkov

Postby bigearth » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:31 pm

zhivkov wrote:Great stuff again bigearth :D I had noticed this little gem somewhere yesterday- talk about a laugh riot! Good observation also, barracuda!

On edit I should add that I think it is very sad that the US has become debased to the point where this walking, talking embodiment of vacuity could be a VP candidate. Of course after having 43 as prez the last 8 years should have told me something. The brains and the souls of these people are so dirty and small I am ashamed to have to share their nationality. In an email to me mum a day or two ago I told her we should have left the US when we had the chance. Thanks again.

most of the world feels your pain..

IF mr obama wins the day, you will see the reaction WORLDWIDE, trust me!

the world is with democrats, the real americans, the world is against the repugs, fake americans and criminals.
bigearth

Postby zhivkov » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:32 am

bigearth, some on this forum think it is wrong-headed to be so pro-Obama. I will no longer criticize or say anything about these people. When it comes to me and some of my family and friends the idea of John is bad enough-Sarah Palin gives us nightmares. I am doing anything in my power (very limited) to take away votes from the McCain ticket. I live in his home state and in the spirit of this I hope to be quite busy today. I waited 10 hours to vote for Obama on Oct 31 and would happily do it again. Thank you again for all of your contributions to this and other parts of this forum-I will read the new article in a minute.

ps I was quite busy yesterday in my efforts-haven't got any good solid sleep-even had a tooth extraction yesterday and I think it has all been worth it. I will be heartsick if McCain wins.
"you gave me in secret one thing to perceive, the tall blue starry strangeness of being here at all"-Franz Wright
zhivkov

Postby bigearth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:40 pm

i'm AMAZED that some are actually talking about palin 2012?

that really is incredible.

she is NOTHING but an air hostess (or an equivalent). admittedly probably a first class one, but still, just an air hostess.

when you see and hear her talk, this assessment makes sense!

it really amazes me how she got to be a govenor of a state.
bigearth

Postby bigearth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:46 pm

now even mcsame's team can see it!

so soon?!

Palin for President? Not if McCain team can help it

The full scale of the tensions in the Republican election machine is emerging – and the allegations will do nothing for the running mate's ambitions

By David Usborne
Friday, 7 November 2008

AP
Sarah Palin greets supporters after returning to Anchorage, Alaska, on Wednesday

There was more war than there was peace on the McCain-Palin ticket, American voters are starting to learn, especially in the last few weeks of the presidential election as top lieutenants serving the senator from Arizona became increasingly appalled by the freelancing ways of the very well-dressed governor from Alaska.

Mr McCain barely knew Ms Palin when he chose her. And aside from those few rallies when they appeared together, for instance in Hershey, Pennsylvania, one week before polling day, they barely spoke to each on the trail, especially towards the end.

The recriminations will be flowing both ways. Ms Palin, who has returned to Alaska after commenting briefly on the tensions in Arizona on Wednesday, has more reason to manage the post-poll gossip-trading to her advantage than does Mr McCain. He is returning to his Senate job and his ambitions beyond are of the golfing variety. Not so Ms Palin, whom some see as a future leader of her party.

"There is absolutely no diva in me," she told reporters in Phoenix. If she meant it to be good-humoured, the context was much more brittle. Diva was the pejorative term applied to Ms Palin in the dying days of the campaign by an unidentified source in the McCain circle. On the day she and Mr McCain appeared together in Hershey, a writer for the Politico website reported a McCain aide calling her a "whack job".

That Ms Palin was at times disinclined to listen too closely to the guidance being offered by Mr McCain's advisers and had the capacity sometimes to head off in her own direction was on display even late on Tuesday, when ballot returns were painting the full extent of the ticket's disaster. As Mr McCain was preparing to give his concession speech in Phoenix, she announced she wanted to say some words too.

In fact, Ms Palin approached Mr McCain on Tuesday about speaking before him at the Biltmore Hotel and said she even had the speech prepared and in her pocket. Two of the senator's top aides had to step forward and tell her "No". Traditionally, running mates never take the microphone on polling day.

While the governor's concern now is protecting her reputation and her paths to higher office in the future, the priority of some staffers that were around Mr McCain is slightly different. They badly need scapegoats for everything that went wrong and Ms Palin comes to their minds faster than a moth to light.

Thus, with her barely back in the picture-windowed living room of her lakeside house in Wasilla, stories of incompetence, disrespect and general waywardness are spewing forth. Good heavens, who knew that she once received McCain aides in her hotel room dressed only in a towel? Or that she confidently imagined that Africa was a country (nowhere near Alaska or her bedroom) and not a continent?

While Mr McCain reportedly harboured some lingering admiration for Ms Palin and her talents, particularly as a campaigner, his top advisers reportedly lost patience with her very quickly indeed. We can assume that some of the stories emerging now are a little larded. But clearly something went awry, whether we are talking about awful television interviews or outrageous shopping sprees.

"I have absolutely no intention in engaging in any of the negativity because this has been all positive for me," Ms Palin said in Arizona. (Never mind that she has also taken time since Tuesday to explain how negative her feelings are about the media and its alleged unfair treatment of her.)

She would not, she said, "let the pettiness or maybe internal workings of a campaign erode any of the recognition of this historic moment." She was referring not to the McCain loss, but the Obama victory.

Even the reliably conservative Fox News channel may be turning against Governor Palin, however, being the first this week to report the consternation experienced by the McCain team on discovering that the governor really did think Africa was a country. Allegedly she also could not name the three countries of the North American Free Trade Agreement. They would be Canada, the US and Mexico.

We are also learning of the dismay in the McCain team after news broke last weekend of Ms Palin taking a prank call from a Canadian radio comedian claiming to be President Nicolas Sarkozy of France, during which she remarked she could be America's leader "maybe in eight years". It seems that no one from the Palin side told the McCain side that a call with M. Sarkozy (or not Sarkozy) was even on her schedule.

The wardrobe debacle is already the stuff of legend. It now seems Ms Palin was encouraged by a senior McCain aide to perhaps purchase three suits for the party convention in St Paul in early September and maybe three more for the campaign trail thereafter. When word surfaced that the Republican National Committee had splurged $150,000 on clothes for the governor, the McCain circle was beyond apoplectic. Some reports this week now say the amount may even have been tens of thousands higher than that.

What may have really cooked Ms Palin – the last polls before voting depicted her not as an asset to the ticket but as a drag – were her media appearances. We know that she was prepped intensely for her first big TV interview with Charlie Gibson of ABC and it went reasonably well. There was nowhere near so much preparation for her encounters afterwards with Katie Couric of CBS, however.

Some in the McCain orbit have asserted that Ms Palin refused pre-Couric prepping. Other sources have said the Alaskan governor didn't have the time or "bandwidth" for it. The conversations were recorded while Ms Palin was in New York meeting world leaders at the United Nations.

In any event, the interview was an absolute disaster, pure and simple. Garbled responses on the economic bail-out and, most famously, on Russia and its proximity to her lawn, gave rise to a second Palin – the one as played by Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live.

Both may now disappear for a while. Some will miss them, but not those still loyal to Senator McCain.

link
bigearth

Postby bigearth » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Defeated Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin has called her critics immature and jerks.

She was referring to anonymous Republican campaign sources cited in a news report who said she did not know Africa was a continent, not a country and could not name the three countries in the North American Free Trade Agreement - Canada, the US and Mexico.

She told reporters gathered in an office in Anchorage. "It's mean spirited. It's immature. It's unprofessional, and those guys are jerks."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americ ... 717278.stm
bigearth

Postby bigearth » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:38 pm

speaking of freedom, sarah palin has been tagged and reintroduced back into the wild..

jon stewart, daily show, 6/11/08
bigearth

Next

Return to Deep Politics