Congressional page scandal -- the net widens?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Congressional page scandal -- the net widens?

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 pm

PageGate: Is there an "AntiRove"?<br>(Note: I"ve slightly corrected and enlarged this post.) Is the Foley affair a carefully-crafted "sting" operation? Is there an "AntiRove" lashing out against the Republicans? Don't judge until you've seen all of the evidence.<br><br>Mind you, Mark Foley certainly deserved a good stinging. Even so, this affair came to light in a very odd fashion. The post with the most on this topic is this one by autoegocrat on Daily Kos, although I have stumbled across a further mystery concerning the original emails.<br><br>A timeline always helps...<br><br>July 21: Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) receives copies of the orginal "over-friendly" emails. CREW does not publish, although they do turn the emails over to the FBI.<br><br>July 28 (perhaps later): An unknown person who signs himself/herself "Stop Sex Predators" initiates a very simple blog titled -- naturally -- Stop Sex Predators. A little-known blog with only a handful of entries, it will come to play a key role in Foleygate.<br><br>Over the next two months, the mysterious blog will post a handful of brief stories on well-known sex crimes or scandals -- Polly Klaas, Chandra Levy -- offering no new information or interesting analysis. The writer offers no personal details, no hint of motivation, no note of individuality. Since the blogger did nothing to publicize the site, readership must have been zilch.<br><br>When I first looked at this blog, my first reaction was "The Poway Mafia strikes again!" (That's an in-joke for those who recall the Wilkes affair.) In short and in sum, everything about this blog screams FAKE.<br><br>Sept. 4: Daily Kos published a post concerning Foley's closeted homosexuality. The next day, a commenter called WHInternNow offered these prescient words:<br>The Real Problem With Foley...It's not that he's gay. It's that he constantly hits on underage interns on The Hill. You guys talk about an "open secret" well Foley's eye for the young boys in the White House and around the Capitol is what has the Republican bosses scared to death. It's just wrong that this guy can hit on young boys and still be in the leadership.<br>This is, to my knowledge, the first exposure of Foley as an abuser of underaged congressional aides.<br><br>September 24: "Stop Sex Predators" publishes the emails which initiated the entire controversy. Here is how SSP sums up the matter:<br>This is absolutely amazing. I just received these emails. They were sent by Congressman Mark Foley to a 16-year-old male page. I have removed his name to protect his identity. But how shocking is this? I can't believe this was emailed to me? There must be even more out there. Email me at stopsexpredators@gmail.com and let me know what we should do!!!! Something must be done!!!!<br>Why would the page in question send emails to what is almost certainly a fake site, a site with no readers?<br><br>Also on September 24: A mere two hours after these emails appear on the Stop Sex Predators blog -- a non-blog with no traffic -- WHInternNow publicizes the SSP "find" on Daily Kos. He (or she) receives a small amount of commentary, including skeptical remarks about the implied claim that the diarist was a White House intern. Sample comment (re: WHInternNow): "First signed on with Kos in September 06 - has not made one comment to anyone;s diary."<br><br>I believe the Stop Sex Predators blogger and WHInternNow to be one and the same.<br><br>Incidentally, another comment, also dated Septemebr 24, includes this tag: "Hastert, Boehner, Reynolds, Shimkus: Resign from Congress. NOW. Then: SHUT IT DOWN anyway." Prophetic, eh wot?<br><br>September 28: ABC News publishes the first story about the "over-friendly" emails which first appeared on the Stop Sex Predators site. ABC News Producer Maddy Sauer later tells Amy Goodman how he received these emails: <br>They were passed to a colleague of mine from a source, not someone from a Democratic campaign, a source on the Hill. And when we talked to Foley's office about those emails, they seemed to know all about them. “It’s no big deal. He is overly friendly. He’s overly engaging. If he’s guilty of anything, that’s all he’s guilty of. He’s very close with the pages. He has worked with the page program for some time.”<br>We should refrain from translating "Not someone from a Democratic campaign" as "Not someone from the Democratic party." Still, the source might have been someone in the intelligence community -- or even a House member.<br><br>Copies of the same emails are published in PDF form by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW)<br><br>However -- as we shall see -- these are retyped versions of the Stop Sex Predator emails.<br><br>September 29: Brian Ross of ABC News receives the first batch of explicit, damning IM messages. ABC producer Maddy Sauer later tells Amy Goodman that he received these messages from the pages themselves, and that he confirmed their authenticity by speaking to pages via telephone; eventually, ABC confronted Foley himself.<br><br>In previous posts, I have questioned whether so many young men would keep these logs on computers which might be accessed by family members. At this time, I have no choice but to take Sauer at his word.<br><br>October 02: After an absence of several days, the proprietor of the Stop Sex Predators blog returns, offering uninteresting golly-gee-whiz commentary. Bloggers usually act differently when a no-traffic site suddenly receives a lot of attention. (Trust me. This I know.) He (or she) makes reference to email he has received from readers, but does not quote from any emails, and does not enable comments on his posts.<br><br>The mystery emails: JPG images of the initial emails appearing on the SSP site do not match the emails received by ABC News.<br><br>Here is the Stop Sex Predators version:<br><br><br>Now here is the CREW version:<br><br>The differences should be obvious. Look at the first word in the text: Small G in one version; large G in the other. One message ends with an ellipses, while the other does not. One version has a space after "here," the other does not. Obviously, one version is a retyping of the other. Yet the retypist took pains to emulate the mistakes in the original, such as the commas-for-periods after "Sept 5".<br><br>I can't think of a legitimate reason to retype this email. Frankly, I can't even come up with a non-legitimate explanation -- and, as you know, I have a pretty good imagination.<br><br>So. Is there a Democratic Rove? Perhaps we should refer to him as "Drove."<br><br>Drove, if you're reading these words, all I can say is this: Bloody brilliant. If the Republicans are going to use covert tactics to spread lies about Democrats, we are justified in using covert tactics to spread truth about Republicans. I wish you had put a little more preperatory work into the SSP site, just to make it seem a bit more persuasive. Next time, add some personal touches -- upload pictures of your cat, complain about the weather, that sort of thing.<br><br>I confess that I'm curious as to whether you are a partisan or a spook. Of course, you must know that your identity and motives will come out eventually.<br><br>But tell me -- why the hell was that email retyped? It's bugging me, dude...<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://cannonfire.blogspot.com/">cannonfire.blogspot.com/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
MASONIC PLOT

Postby coyotesouljah » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:33 pm

A Compendium of Republican Sex Scandals Involving Children <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://justanotherblowback.blogspot.com/2006/10/compendium-of-republican-sex-scandals.html">justanotherblowback.blogs...ndals.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
coyotesouljah

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:02 am

Thank you, MASONIC PLOT, for that timeline and analysis.<br>Brilliant. I had a hunch that these details existed due to the topic and timing and you put them together.<br><br>And thank you for having the awareness of how <br>'psycho-political events' are carefully <br>>timed<br>>inserted in plausibly deniable media<br>>cross-marketed<br>>spread by complicit and non-complicit alike<br>>used to take out other pins by bowling for a lead pin.<br><br>And all to create the media scripts that politicians and civilians then act out in predictable ways.<br><br>I get resistence even here at RI when I suggest as much with demands for 'proof' and a Frist-like long-distance diagnosis of 'paranoid.'<br><br>These techniques are ages old and highly refined. Learn to see them as they happen and you can even predict them before they happen.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:30 am

Foley is certainly no angel but when you look closely at the above timeline and how the story broke, in addition to the fakey blogspot that broke it and how the DAILY KOS seemed to be used in such a timely basis, not to mention the retyped e mails....well it makes you wonder a little. <p></p><i></i>
MASONIC PLOT

hmm

Postby chillin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:54 am

The fake-looking blog does make it look like a bit of a Rove Op. <br><br>But in the long I don't think it will make much difference. What ever happened to that DHS prostitution scandal from earlier this year? Down the same memory hole that this story will probably end up. I read somewhere Cheney's stock portfolio grew by half a billion or something like that last year... not news worthy. <br><br>To me it seems like someone behind the curtain wants nothing but psychotic child predators in the news. Since the Ramsey story was exhumed, it's been a constant barrage. <p></p><i></i>
chillin

Re: hmm

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:01 am

Yea whatever happened to Duke Cunningham, Abramoff and the Porter Goss resignation. Supposedly they had prostitues at the Watergate Hotel on a regular basis. That whole story STUNK to high heaven but disappeared very quickly. <p></p><i></i>
MASONIC PLOT

Postby AlanStrangis » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:30 am

thanks for the Cannonfire timeline.<br><br>After following it through, it does appear have an "anti-Rove" element, but it strikes me as coming from (an) activist blogger(s) rather than someone officially connected to the Democratic machine.<br><br>(at least there doesn't seem to be enough evidence for that so far...) <p></p><i></i>
AlanStrangis

Postby Gouda » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:38 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/10/03/amish.shooting/index.html">edition.cnn.com/2006/US/1...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Pennsylvania schoolhouse killer Charles Carl Roberts IV told his wife he molested young relatives 20 years ago and was dreaming about molesting children again, police said Tuesday.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Former Rep. Mark Foley was molested by a clergyman when he was between the ages of 13 and 15, his attorney said Tuesday amid allegations that the congressman exchanged inappropriate e-mails and instant messages with teen congressional pages.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/03/foley.scandal/index.html">edition.cnn.com/2006/POLI...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The crime bore some resemblance to an attack on a high school in Bailey, Colorado, where a 53-year-old man took six girls hostage and sexually assaulted them before fatally shooting one girl and killing himself.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/10/04/amish.shooting.ap/index.html">edition.cnn.com/2006/US/1...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Re: Cannonfire linked to Americablog 2004

Postby NavnDansk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:16 pm

about foley being closeted gay repub.<br><br>Several links to 2004 Americablog with the statement that there are strong hints as to who might be outed next based on the agenda of outing closeted gays in Congress who smear gays.<br><br>The link for 2004 did not have the Foley story at the top and was taking too long to load so did not find the story with posts that reference the Cannonfire story. <p></p><i></i>
NavnDansk

Postby sunny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:57 pm

What is it with morphing Foley into a Democrat?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/en/011806kellyclarkson">news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/...lyclarkson</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/10/04/bill-oreilly-labels-rep-foley-a-democrat/">www.crooksandliars.com/20...-democrat/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Seems like a cheap attempt to keep the utterly clueless in the "R" camp. Actually, it this is a good thing because it means they are desperate. <p></p><i></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby sunny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:16 pm

oooh, now it's really gettin' good. Now Fordham has resigned.<br><br>edited to add <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/10/top_gop_staffer.html" target="top">link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=sunny@rigorousintuition>sunny</A> at: 10/4/06 1:26 pm<br></i>
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby dbeach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:55 pm

"This is something we should have been aware of, and we weren't, and I'm very unhappy about that," said Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), who also serves on the page board.<br><br>The Democrat on the page board, Congressman Dale Kildee (D-MI), said it was "unprecedented" to have handled the matter without informing the board members. <br><br><br><br>the hippocritters roar on<br><br>Major Distraction....more to come you bey<br><br>meanwhile the boy/god/king stalks big game in Iran<br><br>over 2730 US deaths in Iraq <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Re: Fox calls Foley a Democrat!

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Gawd, the audacity of the lies.<br><br>Randi Rhodes said on Air America today that Fox TV identified Foley as a Democrat THREE TIMES.<br><br>Media is war by other means.<br><br>Thanks to Jeff for putting this in the 'video only' thread-<br><br><br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn7qCzV5sNM">Fox News calls Foley a Democrat</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 10/4/06 9:23 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Fox calls Foley a Democrat!

Postby professorpan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:06 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Randi Rhodes said on Air America today that Fox TV identified Foley as a Democrat THREE TIMES.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>The same disinfo went out on the AP wire.<br><br>They are <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>desperate.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> And that's scary. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

Former page spills beans

Postby professorpan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:35 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aAzj_DAp-Q&eurl=">www.youtube.com/watch?v=1...Ap-Q&eurl=</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Short video -- definitely worth watching.<br><br>The long knives are out. <p></p><i></i>
professorpan

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Politics