Religious groups link Hurricane to gay event

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Religious groups link Hurricane to gay event

Postby emad » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:11 pm

Religious groups link Hurricane to gay event<br>Christopher Curtis, Gay.com/PlanetOut.com Network<br>Thursday 1 September, 2005 11:32 |<br> <br>An organisation of Christian fundamentalists claims the destruction brought on by Hurricane Katrina is God's judgment against New Orleans for holding festivals like the annual gay Southern Decadence party.<br><br>"Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked city," said Repent America director Michael Marcavage on the organisation's Web site. <br><br>"From 'Girls Gone Wild' to 'Southern Decadence,' New Orleans was a city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. May it never be the same."<br><br>Southern Decadence, which was scheduled for the country’s Labour Day weekend, has since been cancelled.<br><br>The comments from Repent America come as New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin noted Katrina probably killed thousands of people in the Crescent City. <br><br>"Let us pray for those ravaged by this disaster," Marcavage said. "However, we must not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long."<br><br>Repent America's Web site noted New Orleans' past three mayors issued official proclamations welcoming visitors to Southern Decadence. The Web site also noted the "New Orleans City Council made other proclamations recognising the annual homosexual celebration."<br><br>"May this act of God cause us all to think about what we tolerate in our city limits, and bring us trembling before the throne of Almighty God," Marcavage concluded, adding a biblical citation from Matthew 5:45: "[God] sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."<br><br>The Rev Dr Cindi Love, executive director of the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC), quoted back from the Bible. "Jeremiah 29 says, 'I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future.' We rest on these promises."<br><br>"I feel sad that anyone is taking advantage of the suffering of people when they are so vulnerable," Love told the GAY.COM/PlanetOut Network. "So, I am praying for our brothers and sisters who are blaming gays and lesbians for this disastrous hurricane.” <br><br>“I ask them to use their energy to pray for those afflicted and to take the resources being used to attack gays and lesbians and use them to provide relief. There are far more 'straight' people, including children, suffering in this incident than gay people. I don't believe God punishes any of us with natural disasters, and I believe that God is with us in this one all the way through."<br><br>Love added that the MCC was organising a relief effort.<br><br>"The scripture that comes to my mind is 'Jesus wept,'" said the Rev Susan Russell, president of Integrity, an LGBT Episcopal group. <br><br>"Jesus weeps today for the loss of life in New Orleans and he weeps that his gospel is being hijacked by the rabid rhetoric of the religious right -- that is in its own way as destructive to our national fabric as Hurricane Katrina has been."<br><br>"What needs to happen is people of all backgrounds need to unite and focus instead on helping bring supplies to the people in need," Russell said. "Hurricane Katrina did not discriminate in its path of destruction, and neither does God's love."<br> <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://uk.gay.com/headlines/8965">uk.gay.com/headlines/8965</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>REPENT ye buggers, the end is nigh! <br> <p></p><i></i>
emad

Blog: View Blog (0)

Who made them God?

Postby DrDebugDU » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:15 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.<br><br>[Thou] blind Pharisee, cleanse first that [which is] within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.<br><br>Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead [men's] bones, and of all uncleanness.<br><br>Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.<br><br>Matthew 23:25-28<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=drdebugdu>DrDebugDU</A> at: 9/2/05 10:15 am<br></i>
DrDebugDU

re:Religious groups...

Postby rain » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:30 pm

well that seals it for me.<br>techno weather manipulation all the way.<br> <p></p><i></i>
rain

TheoCons have this habit of cashing in on disasters.....

Postby emad » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:06 pm

The tills must be ringing in every bible-bashin' homo-hatin' Bush voter paradise. <p></p><i></i>
emad

re: the tills must be ringing

Postby rain » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:17 pm

which is funny isn't. (irony)<br>dare I say 'Gosh'. <p></p><i></i>
rain

Re: re: the tills must be ringing

Postby Dreams End » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:50 pm

So those people dying in front of the convention center had been organizing a gay pride event? Who knew. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Postby Project Willow » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:43 pm

I was hoping they'd assume god was mad at some red states!<br><br>(agggh, can't believe I have thoughts like that). <p></p><i></i>
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:53 pm

From Josh Marshall:<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Disaster sociology according to Bill O'Reilly. Or, Two views on who didn't get out.<br><br>From today's Times: "Brian Wolshon, an engineering professor at Louisiana State University who served as a consultant on the state's evacuation plan, said little attention was paid to moving out New Orleans's 'low-mobility" population - the elderly, the infirm and the poor without cars or other means of fleeing the city, about 100,000 people.'"<br><br>O'Reilly, on his show last night: "A lot of the people -- a lot of the people who stayed wanted to do this destruction. They figured it out. And that's -- I'm not surprised."<br><br>-- Josh Marshall<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>I'm waiting for Pat Robertson or Paul Harvey to suggest we just nuke them. <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Mainstream bigotry to consider

Postby Avalon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:39 pm

Friends of mine have pointed out some mainstream bigotry that you might want to consider as relevant to the situation.<br><br>The Red Cross supports Federal guidelines which mandate discrimination against gays who want to give blood. All blood is tested for AIDS now, so the supposition that gay people automatically might be carriers is no longer as concern the way it was at the beginning of the epidemic. If you answer honestly that you are gay, they will not let you give blood ever again, says an EMT friend.<br><br>And I'm going on memory for this, but I believe the other point being made by a friend is that neither Louisiana or Texas have any laws that protect partners in gay relationships, so there will be many man-made disruptions for gay couples in the wake of the storm. <br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

predictable racist filth

Postby mother » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Expect more of these sniveling cowards will crawl out from under their rocks, triumphant that they are not boiling above the poisonous cauldren which is the Gulf area, next to a stinking corpse. They tried the same **** after 911, they do it every time. They are going to be so sorry.... <p></p><i></i>
mother

Return to Katrina and Aftermath