Repost: Warner & Snow Call for Repealing Posse Comitatus

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Repost: Warner & Snow Call for Repealing Posse Comitatus

Postby proldic » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:39 pm

Repost from a Project Willow original, <br><br>cause I think it is (could be/could be made to be)<br><br>HUGE NEWS. <br><br>This is much better than (or could link up with/revive) the Unitarian-lefty anti-Patriot act movement.<br><br>This does say <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>repeal</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, right? I can't get the link to work.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Repost from DU: Posse Comitatus, Yesterdays' news...<br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br> Senator Warner (R-Va) fires first shot to revise/repeal the posse comitatus act & the insurrection act. <br>seconded by Senator Snow (R-Maine).<br><br><br><br>"POSSE COMITATUS ACT" (18 USC 1385): A Reconstruction Era criminal law proscribing use of Army (later, Air Force) to "execute the laws" except where expressly authorized by Constitution or Congress. Limit on use of military for civilian law enforcement also applies to Navy by regulation. Dec '81 additional laws were enacted (codified 10 USC 371-7 clarifying permissible military assistance to civilian law enforcement agencies--including the Coast Guard--especially in combating drug smuggling into the United States. Posse Comitatus clarifications emphasize supportive and technical assistance (e.g., use of facilities, vessels, aircraft, intelligence, tech aid, surveillance, etc.) while generally prohibiting direct participation of DoD personnel in law enforcement (e.g., search, seizure, and arrests). For example, Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachments (LEDETS) serve aboard Navy vessels and perform the actual boardings of interdicted suspect drug smuggling vessels and, if needed, arrest their crews). Positive results have been realized especially from Navy ship/aircraft involvement.<br><br>www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/comrel/factfile/Factcards/P...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br> <p></p><i></i>
proldic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Repost: Warner & Snow Call for Repealing Posse Comit

Postby Dreams End » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Posse Comitatus? That is SOOOOO 20th Century. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: Repost: Warner & Snow Call for Repealing Posse Comit

Postby dbeach » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:08 pm

state of emergency in 28 states and repeal of PC<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Katrina and Aftermath