Next Hurricane - Rita - RRRR??

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Fucking Emergency Manipulation Agency

Postby Dreams End » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:35 pm

well, the quote was from me..and it was a bit of a joke, but they turn one way into two way all the time around here when there's construction on the other side. Might need several hundred orange cones, though. And the incoming lane is only for emergency personnel so shouldn't be that much inbound traffic. Just block off onramps as needed. Anyway, I came up with the idea in five minutes... FEMA's had decades. <br><br>If only we had a nationwide network of roads specifically designed for evacuating large cities in the event of emergencies...<br><br>oh yeah, that's what the interstates were supposed to be. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dreamsend@rigorousintuition>Dreams End</A> at: 9/22/05 1:36 pm<br></i>
Dreams End

updates

Postby sw » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:03 pm

edit
Last edited by sw on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sw

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Next Hurricane - Rita - RRRR??

Postby Dreams End » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:12 pm

Well, they said they opened southbound I-45 to northbound traffic, but the traffic cams are not showing this to be so.<br><br>I don't know the area so I could not be understanding what's going on.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cameras/camtext.aspx">traffic.houstontranstar.o...mtext.aspx</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Keeping you close, GDNO1, keeping you close

Postby AnnaLivia » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:30 pm

I luv u, doc, but the prom committee’s motto is: <br><br>“When the house is on fire, it is time to get out of the burning house.”<br><br>I really need to find that parable to post for you guys…<br><br>We can iron out the details later, but I can’t buy that we can invent (discover?) nano-technology, but we can’t get evacuation of Houston right. Doesn’t make sense to me. How long have Houston citizen-taxpayers been providing city planners with a job?<br><br>Moving on, TV on, and I see shots of lines of traffic, but I never see a shot of the BEGINNINGS of the lines. Staying with my line of thinking, why doesn’t a helicopter or two follow the line of traffic to wherever the bottleneck starts…it has to start somewhere…somewhere in front of all that traffic is a place where the traffic is flowing freely, isn’t there?…and can’t some good old-fashioned traffic cops get that snarl unblocked? In time to get movers cleared out and some gas to those already run out?<br><br>I haven’t had the tv on for long. But I suspect that the side of the road has become everyone’s, er, um, privy, in that traffic? And what if you didn’t bring enough water to drink? (maybe they anticipated anyway, but for this long?)<br><br>And fema guy says yes it's frustrating, but we’ve got a whole day yet. Let’s see…24 hours at 4 or 5 mph gets you………….<br> <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

counterflow

Postby Avalon » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:34 pm

Yeah, that was my response too, when I saw empty inbound lanes while the outbound from NO were saturated. And it's what I was screaming about here moments ago to my family when I saw the same kind of photo.<br><br>They get traffic running both ways for miles when they need to close one set of lanes or a bridge for resurfacing. They can close off the entrance ramps to make sure everyone is going the same way. In the urban areas there will be local roads if you really need to go the other way. Just get them fucking moving.<br><br>Figure your city could be next to need an evacuation. Think about who you have to whack upside the head in your government to get them to think about this. <p></p><i></i>
Avalon

Re: counterflow

Postby Dreams End » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:09 pm

Well, now the traffic cams are offline...or maybe they are getting too many hits. Too bad...handy tool for people trying to decide if and when to hit the road. <p></p><i></i>
Dreams End

Re: counterflow

Postby AnnaLivia » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:21 pm

sw, oh, bless you and yours, too!...and thanks for updates!<br><br>tv makes hard to tell which video is re-run and which is live...at least when 'coming and going' to watch, as i am. but saw some pics of all lanes outbound finally, so those have to be live. don't know how many roads, but let's hope it's one of them thar "memes" that catches on. <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

gas!

Postby somebody » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:33 pm

My son just got gas in Rosenburg!! IH 10 going west has both sides of the hwy open!! And I saw on CNN that traffic is moving really fast on the newly opened lanes. If you can get in touch with anyone on that route.... it's headed toward San Antonio & Austin... there is or was gas there!!! Pass it on if you can. <p></p><i></i>
somebody

A moment to sit.

Postby GDN01 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:09 pm

I am sitting down for the first time in 4 hours. Drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette - and I'm not a smoker!<br><br>Kids are here. <br><br>SW - if your friends and family can get to Huntsville, there is a red cross shelter there. <br><br>I have people calling from all over Houston freaked out because they are stuck and think they need to just stop trying to get out and find shelter. Doing what I can to get people to safety.<br><br>Traffic has finally been redirected, but here it is still bumper to bumper and not moving.<br><br>I can't decide whether to just stay here or head a bit north. My home is as sturdy as most - it's a single story brick house with an inside hallway that is completely safe. Up here there is no gas at most stations, but I have a full tank to get the 20 miles I had hoped to go. My kids want to head north.<br><br>With the path the hurricane seems to be taking, we could be fine here. But if it veers the least bit west, I'm not so sure. I had my moment of crying and now I feel much calmer and the people I needed to take care of are all in a safe place. I just don't know how bad it's going to get. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

Re: A moment to sit.

Postby DrDebugDU » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:27 pm

Just enjoy your beer and your smoke. It don't matter that much now. The traffic stories so far are terrible. A stone house with an inside hallway is probably the best place for now. They are still talking about a Cat 3. Some reports are that it moved slightly; others - like this one - say that it didn't move. Either way you can expect a big storm.<br><br>The latest forecast. 5 PM<br><br>000<br>WTNT43 KNHC 222049<br>TCDAT3<br>HURRICANE RITA DISCUSSION NUMBER 21<br>NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL<br>5 PM EDT THU SEP 22 2005<br><br>RITA IS GOING TROUGH THE WEAKENING PHASE OF AN EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLE AND DATA FROM THE NOAA RECONNAISSANCE PLANE INDICATE THAT WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO 125 KNOTS...AND THIS MAY BE GENEROUS. HOWEVER...THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS REMAINED AROUND 913 MB...WHICH IS A VERY LOW PRESSURE TO HAVE ONLY 125 KNOTS. IN ADDITION TO THE EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLE...RITA IS CURRENTLY MOVING OVER THE EDGE OF A COLD SST EDDY. THIS COULD HAVE ENHANCED THE WEAKENING TODAY. THE HURRICANE IS FORECAST TO MOVE OVER ANOTHER WARM EDDY DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS AND THERE IS SOME CHANCE<br>THAT RITA COULD REGAIN SOME INTENSITY. BECAUSE THE SHEAR IS FORECAST TO INCREASE...THIS MAY COMPENSATE FOR THE STRENGTHENING THAT MAY BE CAUSED BY THE EFFECTS OF THE HIGH HEAT CONTENT. THE BEST OPTION AT THIS TIME IS TO KEEP RITA AS A 125 KT HURRICANE WITH A SLIGHT WEAKENING BEFORE LANDFALL. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A DANGEROUS HURRICANE OF AT LEAST A CATEGORY THREE INTENSITY.<br><br>RITA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST OR 300 DEGREES AT 8 KNOTS. THE FORECAST TRACK HAS NOT CHANGED AND RITA IS EXPECTED TO BE STEERED TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND NORTHWEST TOWARD THE<br>UPPER-TEXAS OR THE WESTERN LOUISIANA COASTS AS THE HIGH SHIFTS EASTWARD. AFTER LANDFALL...STEERING CURRENTS ARE EXPECTED TO WEAKEN AND THE CYCLONE COULD MEANDER FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN THE VICINITY OF NORTHEASTERN TEXAS...PRODUCING HEAVY RAINS.<br><br>BASED ON THE FORECAST TRACK AND WIND RADII...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING HAS BEEN EXTENDED EASTWARD AND NORTHWARD ALONG THE LOUISIANA COAST. ANY TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS IN THE NEW ORLEANS<br>AREA ARE EXPECTED TO BE CONFINED TO A FEW SQUALLS ASSOCIATED WITH QUICKLY MOVING RAINBANDS. <p></p><i></i>
DrDebugDU

GDNO1

Postby somebody » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:41 pm

For you to travel 20 miles, it'll take like a million hours! Like probably 10+ hrs.<br>Just talked to my son & he's either on I10, or just getting on and traffic is sort of moving. I think I10 is not the direction that you're headed but it's not good out there in any direction. I encouraged him a few hours ago, to turn around and go back home. But they didn't. They've been on the road since 4:00 this morning, just like a million other people.<br><br>If your bldg. is strong maybe you could consider staying. I bet you are on your last nerve, and it totally sucks, but it is bad out there! Cars are not moving, and people are turning them off and not running the AC to save fuel. It's a recipe for heat stroke, and breaking that last nerve. You're not alone, lots of people are thinking about you, and that good energy being sent your way, will help. <p></p><i></i>
somebody

Postby chiggerbit » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Is it my imagination, or did the eye jerk left/west from its previous course?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.weatherunderground.com/global/Region/g1/2xpxIRSatellite.html">www.weatherunderground.co...llite.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby Sweejak » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:07 pm

Eye Splits? ....... Long load, not sure if it is still on the loop.<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us_comp/us_comp.html">www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us..._comp.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Postby AnnaLivia » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:09 pm

GDN01, it really looks like it's going to hit almost at TX/LA state border, and they say it'll pass over a bit cooler water before it hits the coast.<br><br>now, if they DO finally unsnarl the clogs, i figure traffic could move out fast, but if not, i agree you're probably safer where you are, as long as building is sturdy. it's really the aftermath might be more dangerous to you?? you're not in low-lying area, are you? are you?<br><br>i swear that earlier today i heard the mayor of houston say...just in passing...that they DID have plans for refueling...drops? stations?...what word did he use?...along major outbound routes, but that they didn't get the fuel they were supposed to. "that didn't happen", i think were his words. i also heard him say that they requested the opening of the all lanes to outbound early this morning, but that didn't happen until late this afternoon.<br><br>who is supposed to answer this "request", was not clear to me. <br><br>GD, sw, somebody...you and yours are all in our thoughts, big time. are those our only RI'ers in danger?<br><br>i sure hope this thing doesn't sit and rain upstream on the mississippi eventually............ <p></p><i></i>
AnnaLivia

thoughts

Postby sw » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:32 pm

edit
Last edited by sw on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sw

PreviousNext

Return to Katrina and Aftermath