FDNY in New Orleans

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

FDNY in New Orleans

Postby revelation » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:13 pm

Attempting to get this info out... It's still unconfirmed; the only FDNY/ NO news I can find online are all sunshine-and-unicorns.<br><br>Here's some as-of-yet unsubstantiated rumor concerning the FDNY in New Orleans. It comes from a very reliable source, but I won't be giving any names. Either way, you _will_ be hearing about this eventually from a more trustworthy source, as it seams to be common knowledge among every firefighter in Illinoi, with whom a friend of mine ( a paramedic ) worked with in NO.<br><br>Illinoi was asked by the state of LA to send volunteers and equiptment from each division to NO to help with the cleanup effort, because of the advanced command and control system they have. Shortly after they arrived, a large number of FDNY personel arrived on their own accord. Lacking any equiptment of their own, they proceeded to take over the operation; comandeering trucks and gear. <br><br>It was at this point that a good deal of very expensive gear began disappearing, and my friend was told that a group of Illinoi firefighters tasked with cleaning out a building ( which the FDNY guys lived in ) found a large amount of stolen gear; some with 'property of NO Fire Dept.' stickers on them. It was even rumored that one division was missing an engine, which he said are worth up to half a million dollars!. One Illinoi firefighter who worked with some FDNY said that there were numerous times when they would simply barrel through abandoned cars in their 'borrowed' engines.<br><br>Essentially, the FDNY involvement weakened the command and control abilities of the firefighting operations, which is what the state of LA asked for in the first place, and lost rural fire dept's thousands of dollars in lost and damaged equiptment. Many Illinoi divisions, who were asked to supply two volunteers at a time on a two-week rotation, pulled out early, and have refused to send anyone else. Some of the firefighters he talked to believed that the NYPD involvement was a political stunt; either way, they're not held in very high regard anymore. <p></p><i></i>
revelation

Blog: View Blog (0)

unsurprising to me

Postby glubglubglub » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:42 pm

heh has the fdny looting the wtc site ever been crediibly disproven?<br><br>easiest way to keep fireman from going against the official line: fill the dept. w. crooks and the corruptable, let them loot to have dirt on file against them, and then blackmail any potential whistleblowers with the threat of prosecution for crimes committed during the demolition...which simultaneously shuts up most potential voices and discredits those who would speak -- would you believe a fireman's 9/11 story if he was facing trial for loading his firetruck with designer jeans during the 9/11 events? <p></p><i></i>
glubglubglub

hi ggg,

Postby revelation » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:10 pm

I've always wondered what kind of persuasion was used to keep them from talking about the wtc collapse. It's gotta be pretty heavy for guys who run through burning buildings all day. They might be thieves and a**holes (at least the ones in NO), but they've got balls. <p></p><i></i>
revelation

Local firemen...

Postby marykmusic » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:33 pm

...are still pissed at the heavy-handedness of the out-of-state Feds who came into the Northeast Arizona mountains when the Rodeo fire happened in the summer of '02 (and the first large-scale evacuation on US soil, of 15,000 people.) I heard all kinds of stories from the locals about being threatened with arrest for doing their job of trying to save buildings. The small volunteer force from Clay Springs lost their own building while they were defying orders and saving people's homes, for example.<br><br>Many folks, and of course I'm one, put several strange discrepancies together involving the "official" story. We believe it was an op, to see how people responded to evacuation and to martial law... <br><br>1) There was a fire a week before, south of Show Low on the Fort Apache reservation, that was put out quickly by volunteers from Show Low and Linden (they were closer than the Fort Apache Hot Shots.)<br><br>2) When what was to become the Rodeo fire started at the rodeo grounds near Cibecue (on the rez well south of Show Low), the above-mentioned departments immediately responded, but didn't get very far before they were ordered back. By the next day (with a years-long drought and 40 mph steady winds), Linden was evacuated with 1 hour's notice.<br><br>3) The Forest Service immediately took charge. They removed all the local firefighters from the front lines (of course, most defiantly did what they had to do anyway.)<br><br>4) Police from all over the state came in to "protect" people's property while they were gone. Anyone who opted to stay, was not allowed to leave AT ALL.<br><br>5) These same cops, plus the Forest Service police, arrested anyone they found in the fire area. This included firefighters. However, guess who knew all the local jeep roads and 4-wheeler trails? Even the state Brand Inspector, pulling a stock trailer and going after whatever horses and livestock he could save, had a hard time doing his job (and he's essentially law enforcement, as well!)<br><br>6) Someone was turned in for starting the fire, and his family collected the substantial reward. It was an Apache man who worked part-time as a firefighter, and who had an alcohol problem. BUT he was declared unfit to stand trial, and nothing more has been heard of him, from whatever mental institution he was sent to... he is most likely in a drug haze these days.<br><br>7) The Red Cross and FEMA were there, and the money they were handing out in the early days of the disaster, simply dried up and many people were left in dire need.<br><br>After it was all over and people put their heads together, there remained these unanswered questions. Folks are still pissed...<br><br>This was multiplied many times over in the current disasters. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

I saw NYFD fleet on 59 south

Postby lilorphant » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:07 am

from Hammond- two weeks after Katrina hit. We waved, Lots of fire Departments were on search and rescue operations throughout the region, as well as police departments from Las Vegas to Florida. Many of the police departments lost all of their equipment, cars, buildings, and many police themselves have lost their home or family members. The first responders often stayed behind to be on site, and ended up victims themselves. Also, as you know LA and MS have a lot of National Guard (first responders) overseas. <p></p><i></i>
lilorphant

re: Local Firemen ...

Postby Starman » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:08 am

Wow -- That all IS some wierd-strange highjinxs. Could the Rodeo Fire have been left alone on-purpose and helped to blaze-up as a Federal Funds Cash Cow machine? The no-exceptions blockading and widespread arrests-of-opportunity sure reflect some of the more sinister aspects of the staged-cacophony we saw in NO and the Gulf Coast. So early damage claimants scored the loot before it all dissapeared ... Might suspicious alright.<br><br>While searching through google on more info re: oddities of the Rodeo Fire, I found the following report about the arson who confessed to setting both the small initial fire and the later larger, main one.<br>Thanks for your intriguing comments, MaryK.<br>Starman<br><br>found in: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.nanews.org/archive/2003/nanews11.043">www.nanews.org/archive/2003/nanews11.043</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.owlstar.com/dailyheadlines.htm">www.owlstar.com/dailyheadlines.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.azstarnet.com/star/today/31021nwildfireplea.html">www.azstarnet.com/star/to...eplea.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <br> Plea is guilty in Rodeo wildfire<br> THE ASSOCIATED PRESS <br> October 21, 2003<br> PHOENIX - A part-time firefighter accused of trying to make work for himself by starting what became the biggest wildfire in Arizona history pleaded guilty Monday.<br> The fire Leonard Gregg started last year combined with another to form the Rodeo-Chediski wildfire, which destroyed hundreds of homes and forced 30,000 people to evacuate as it burned 469,000 acres of private, Forest Service and Fort Apache Reservation land.<br> Gregg, who also was charged with starting a smaller fire, pleaded guilty to two federal counts of intentionally setting a fire. He could get up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced in January.<br> Deborah Euler-Ajayi, Gregg's attorney, said Gregg had wanted to plead guilty for some time, but she wanted to be sure he was mentally competent to make that decision. He had spent about six months at a mental health facility in North Carolina.<br> "He wanted to get it over with, get this behind him, serve his time and make his public apologies," she said.<br> Gregg, 31, is from the Fort Apache reservation community of Cibecue. Prosecutors said he started the Rodeo Fire to earn $8 an hour fighting it. He also has said his parents' alcoholism fueled a rage that led him to<br> start the blaze.<br> Copyright c. 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 AzStarNet, Arizona Daily Star.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Starman

Re: re: Local Firemen ...

Postby marykmusic » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:35 am

I didn't hear about Gregg being brought back to court... but the newspaper you quoted is in Flagstaff, not Show Low.<br><br>But then, I never heard about a shoot-out with William Cooper, either; certainly wasn't reported locally.<br><br>Hmmm... --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Return to Katrina and Aftermath