More Than 3,200 Still Missing From Katrina

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

More Than 3,200 Still Missing From Katrina

Postby nomo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:54 pm

More Than 3,200 Still Missing From Katrina<br><br>By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer Wed Jan 18, 7:31 PM ET<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060119/ap_on_re_us/katrina_missing_4">news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060..._missing_4</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>NEW ORLEANS - More than 3,200 people are officially still unaccounted for nearly five months after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, and the state medical examiner wants the search to resume for those missing from the most devastated neighborhoods.<br><br>A total of nearly 11,500 people were reported missing to the Find Family National Call Center, a center run by federal and state workers. The reports included people from throughout the Gulf Coast area, but most were from Louisiana.<br><br>As of Wednesday, all but about 3,200 had been located, the agency said.<br><br>Dr. Louis Cataldie, the state's medical examiner, said he planned to ask state and parish officials to recheck about 400 addresses where authorities have consistent information about people missing from badly flooded neighborhoods. Most are in east New Orleans; about 50 are from St. Bernard Parish.<br><br>It's possible some of those missing were washed into Lake Pontchartrain, or their bodies remain in the rubble that still blankets much of the city. Over the last several weeks, at least one family returning to a wrecked home has found the remains of a relative inside.<br><br>Some of those still listed as missing likely have been found already by relatives but the center hasn't been notified of their status, the call center said. Others may not want to be found because of criminal or legal problems.<br><br>More than 1,300 Katrina-related deaths have been reported across five states, with 1,080 of those from Louisiana. Seventy of those killed in Louisiana remain unidentified, Cataldie said.<br><br>___<br><br>Editor's note: Telephone number for the Find Family National Call Center is 1-866-326-9393.<br><br>___<br><br>On the Net:<br><br>Louisiana Katrina Information: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://katrina.louisiana.gov/missing.htm">katrina.louisiana.gov/missing.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Katrina Missing: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.katrinamissing.dhh.louisiana.gov">www.katrinamissing.dhh.louisiana.gov</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
nomo

Blog: View Blog (0)

missing Katrina people

Postby mother » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:39 pm

I watched for a long time the unfortunate people lined up for their final visit to the Dome. I think it is safe to say that many, many of them had no one high-functioning enough to care for them, slog through exhausting red tape to locate people even if they tried. I paid intensly close attention to what was going on there, even staying up the whole first night and catching stuuf that was later changed. I still believe that it was a huge mass murder in which many more suffered horrible deaths than will ever be reported or paid for by insurance companies. When Blackwater comes in the bodies vanish. Not to mention all the missing children. An unbearable situation and scary because all bad things were done with zero fear of reprisal, totally brazen. If highly educated people go through hell trying to fix some snag in the system, imagine a traumatised illiterate person trying to get some justice or mercy in this tragedy. <p></p><i></i>
mother

Re: missing Katrina people

Postby darkbeforedawn » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Yes-- this was boldfaced genocide done right on television. It's like when the "colalition" forces zeroed in on the hotel where all the journalists were staying with a red laser pointer shown right on television and then shelled it to the ground. Americans have been overwhelmed with shock after shock after shock. <p></p><i></i>
darkbeforedawn

Postby marykmusic » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:26 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Americans have been overwhelmed with shock after shock after shock. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>This is a primary purpose of television: to harden watchers to unfortunate reality, and create a bland mind-set toward others' hardships. This makes really efficient killers for the Armed Forces (road rage and other side effects are just collateral damage.)<br><br>The other purpose is to supply a constant meal to those who literally feed on the frequency of Fear. It can be repeated, over and over, by shock after shock. --MaryK <p></p><i></i>
marykmusic

Postby StarmanSkye » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:40 pm

Darkbeforedawn said,"... shelled it to the ground."<br><br>Eh, WOT?<br><br>Re: Katrina response:<br>Among the many indications of an institutionalized adversarial mindset held by top FEMA and military officials confounding effective, coordinated rescue, relief and recovery efforts, and esp. noteable for its being largely ignored, is the inexplicable lack of even the most basic public information communication provided to the tens of thousands of New Orleans citizens in the aftermath of the disaster. <br><br>it almost impossible to believe this was 'just' an oversight. Certainly, in FEMA's and Homeland Security formulating their disaster-relief plans, the critical need for establishing and maintaining communication channels between and among different government (Fed, state and local), law enforcement, first responder, National Guard/Military and volunteer services officials had to be recognized as a high priority -- as well as the need to keep crowds of displaced citizens and disaster victims informed about what was happening and what they could expect -- in order to prevent widespread panic, anxiety, confusion, or desperation needlessly complicating and obstructing aid operations. This also needed to be a two-way communication, with a process for group needs and concerns to be heard and responded to. <br><br>Much of the failure by FEMA officials to have adequate situational awareness of the dire Superdome and Convention center conditions was due to this abysmal failure. How is it possible that all of the various officials with primary responsibility to provide services and coordinate response, ie. FEMA, law enforcement and military, could have overlooked or ignored this essential function 'by accident'?<br><br>This 'lapse' provides yet more circumstantial evidence that numerous incitements to widespread civil disorder and provocations legitimizing the 'official' doctrine of deadly force were deliberately put in-place by key psyop agents -- as with the unconfirmed reports of 'snipers' that became the justification for deployment of more than 40,000 armed troops who did little more than provide a public spectacle of enforced 'order'.<br><br>The utter lack of courtesy, compassion, and civility shown to the hardest-hit Katrina victims who were overwhelmingly poor and black by a majority of the duly-authorized representatives of local, state and federal government reveals much of the duplicity, hypocrisy and contradiction of American society, in which the democratic ideal of government Of, By and FOR the people has been subverted so that official policies reflect a government increasingly isolated from and actively at-odds with public needs and interests.<br><br>Ah, 'nuff sed.<br>Starman <p></p><i></i>
StarmanSkye

Return to Katrina and Aftermath