Is this going as planned as well?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Is this going as planned as well?

Postby yesferatu » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:25 am

<<National Guard troops arrive in New Orleans<br>Governor sends 100 soldiers to free up police after 6 killed over weekend<br>        <br>• New Orleans on guard again<br>June 20: Tuesday will mark the first full day that the streets of New Orleans will again be patrolled by National Guard troops. NBC's Martin Savidge reports.<br><br><br>Updated: 8:55 p.m. CT June 20, 2006<br><br>NEW ORLEANS - Nine months after they rode to the rescue in the desperate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, National Guardsmen carrying M-16s returned to the city Tuesday to reinforce a depleted police department and battle a surge in violence.<br><br>The 100 or so soldiers will patrol the streets in ravaged neighborhoods left deserted by Katrina, freeing up police officers to concentrate on more heavily populated sections.<br><br>“We’re just trying to give a hand to the city of New Orleans,” said Lt. Melvin Edwards, 32, a member of 239th Military Police Company.<br>Story continues below &#8595; advertisement<br><br>Gov. Kathleen Blanco sent in the National Guard at the mayor’s request after a bloody weekend in which six people were killed.<br><br>“Criminals, hear me loud, hear me clearly: There is law and order in New Orleans,” she said. “We will not let the criminals take root as our families return.”<br><br>The troops, dressed in full camouflage fatigues, carried M-16s, handguns and belt clips of ammunition as they arrived in a convoy of 75 vehicles. They parked their Humvees and tanker trucks in formation in front of the Convention Center, drawing waves and thumbs-up from onlookers.<br><br>Up to 200 more Guardsmen will be sent in later, bringing the total in the city to 300. In addition, 60 state police officers were sent to help keep the peace.<br><br> Click for related content<br><br>Vote: Are New Orleans lawmakers overreacting?<br><br>Citizens feel ‘very safe’<br>As the soldiers arrived, New Orleans police were investigating another slaying, that of a 22-year-old man. The killing brought this year’s murder toll to 54. That number is still less than the 81 recorded during the first four months of 2005. But New Orleans’ population these days is less than half of what it was before Katrina.<br><br>The bloodshed has raised fears that violence is back on the rise in a city that was plagued by crime before Katrina drove out half its population of 465,000.<br><br>Community leaders are afraid the violence will discourage people from returning.<br><br>King Milling, a New Orleans banker, said he was “just delighted” by the troops’ arrival. “The powers-that-be recognize that this is an issue that we must deal with,” he said.<br><br>Many of the soldiers that arrived Tuesday were sent to New Orleans during Katrina, but they had not seen the city since those desperate days.<br><br>Sgt. Alfred Glasper of Baton Rouge looked for signs of appreciation as he steered a tan Humvee down Interstate 10 into the heart of the city.<br><br>“There you go,” he said, pointing to a man stopped on the side of the highway and waving. “People down here didn’t want us to leave — they felt very safe.”<br><br>Later, the troops marched to an office building at the port of New Orleans, where they were briefed on their mission. Patrols were to begin Tuesday night.<br><br>CONTINUED: ‘We’re in the disaster phase’>><br><br>Instructions for the "left": Cue the "incompetency" debate. Check your wtf's? at the door. Rehearse "bad planning" points. <p></p><i></i>
yesferatu

adding link.....

Postby yesferatu » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:27 am

sorry<br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13440535/">msn.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
yesferatu

Re: adding link.....

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:36 am

What is really going on?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What is really going on?

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:51 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But New Orleans’ population these days is less than half of what it was before Katrina.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Note that the article doesn't say how many police there are left.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> Not many, I'll bet.<br><br>The police were left to die also and many just fled unable to handle what had happened and the horrible aftermath. Life as a cop in New Orleans before Katrina must've been stressful enough. The town has been used by CIA for smuggling drugs in and weapons out for decades now. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby bvonahsen » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:30 am

well... what's most important is that the white folks don't feel threatened. Can't be hav'in that ya know.<br><br>Chocolate city? More like almond bark if you ask me. <p></p><i></i>
bvonahsen

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:16 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://p216.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm10.showMessage?topicID=4819.topic">22% is just too high</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Joe Hillshoist

the new New Orleans

Postby Corvidaerex » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:48 am

It has been a long-term goal to get the poor blacks out of NOLA. And most who quietly supported such a soft genocide were not terrible klansmen or whatever, just normal middle-class (90% white) people wanting a safe school for their kids, etc.<br><br>Very complicated race politics in NOLA. Many white politicians have long relied on the poor black vote. (The nation at large didn't see this until the "Clinton is the first black president"" meme.)<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Corvidaerex

Re: the new New Orleans

Postby Gouda » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:56 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Community leaders are afraid the violence will discourage people from returning.<br><br>King Milling, a New Orleans banker, said he was “just delighted” by the troops’ arrival. “The powers-that-be recognize that this is an issue that we must deal with,” he said.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Community leaders.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> Which people might these community leaders have in mind? <br><br>Oh, and Mr. King Milling, banker, has just said it all - NOLA and beyond. <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

sorry?

Postby blanc » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:11 am

"nine months after they rode to the resue..."<br>I must have read that wrong <p></p><i></i>
blanc

Return to Katrina and Aftermath