movie - Mysterious Skin:FMS,child abuse,and Alien Abductions

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

movie - Mysterious Skin:FMS,child abuse,and Alien Abductions

Postby hmm » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:16 am

I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago and i havent seen it mentioned here,it was mindblowing..<br>It is the first movie i have seen in which child abuse and FMS are woven into a touching yet extremely disturbing and gripping tale which somehow manages to remain free of the usual sensationalism.<br>The FMS twist in this movie is so amazing i had a hard time not standing up and pointing at the screen and shouting out THIS GUY GETS IT...SEE SEE<br><br>It is probably a really difficult movie to watch for some as the sex and seduction is so graphic and disturbing, but this even felt right because the seduction of a child IS disturbing.<br>I left with the impression that the director and maybe even the cameraman and writer understood this in a way that only comes from personal experience.<br><br>has anyone else here seen this movie or care to comment?<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370986/">www.imdb.com/title/tt0370986/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Plot Summary for<br>Mysterious Skin (2004)<br><br>"The summer I was eight years old, five hours disappeared from my life. Five hours, lost, gone without a trace..." These are the words of Brian Lackey (Brady Corbet), a troubled 18 year-old, growing up in the stiflingly small town of Hutchinson, Kansas. Plagued by nightmares, Brian believes that he may have been the victim of an alien abduction. Local Neil McCormick (Joseph Gordon Levitt) however, is the ultimate beautiful outsider. With a loving but promiscuous mother (Elisabeth Shue), Neil is wise beyond his years and curious about his developing sexuality, having found what he perceived to be love from his Little League baseball coach (played by Hal Hartley veteran Bill Sage) at a very early age. Now, ten years later, Neil is a teenage hustler, nonchalant about the dangerous path his life is taking. Neil's pursuit of love leads him to New York City, while Brian's voyage of self discovery leads him to Neil - who helps him to unlock the dark secrets of their past. Based on the acclaimed novel by Scott Heim, "Mysterious Skin" explores the hearts and minds of two very different boys who come to find the key to their future happiness lies in the exorcism of their collective demons.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>interview with the author and director:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://movies.radiofree.com/interviews/mysterio_gregg_araki_scott_heim.shtml">movies.radiofree.com/inte...heim.shtml</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
hmm

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: movie - Mysterious Skin:FMS,child abuse,and Alien Abduct

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:23 pm

I saw it a few months ago and found it extremely accomplished and heartbreaking. <br><br>It's interesting reading an interview with Gregg Araki <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/spring2005/features/wonder_years.php">here</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> about the delicacy shown filming the scenes of abuse:<br><br>FILMMAKER: This film also involved you working with young children. How did you deal with the molestation scene?<br><br>ARAKI: From the very start, we didn’t want to make a movie about childhood trauma and then traumatize the children in the process.<br><br>FILMMAKER: So then how did you keep the kids out of it?<br><br>ARAKI: Mostly through clever editing. The kids had never read the full script and they didn’t really understand the context or the story. When I talked to other directors who had worked with kids, they said, “Kids don’t care about the big picture. They don’t care about their character’s psychology and their backstory and their arc; all they want to know is “What am I doing right now, and how am I doing it?â€
Rigorous Intuition

Postby biaothanatoi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:49 pm

My friend has talked about the similarities between the experience of RA and the narratives of some 'alien' abductees.<br><br>It gets spookier when you consider that some RA kids are painted entirely white during ordeals. Being painted white is an unaccountable similarity in reports, highlighted by Dr Stephen Kent in his 'Deviant Scripturalism' qualitative research from the mid 90s.<br><br>I'm not saying that the congruence is 100%, but the similarities in accounts are there, particularly since dissociation and drugs means that many RA victims don't fully register what is happening during abductions. <p></p><i></i>
biaothanatoi

Postby maggrwaggr » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:11 am

White like "Powder?" That movie? <p></p><i></i>
maggrwaggr

Postby biaothanatoi » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:25 am

Painted entirely white. Kent spoke to a number of survivors in different parts of Canada in the early 90s who reported being painted white before an RA ordeal. Shortly after he held those interviews, reports were made to a Canadian inquiry by women in other areas who also reported being painted white during RA.<br><br>Kent thinks that the whitewashing is related to an inversion of a Biblical passage (Matthew 23:27) which may be true - one of the women also related, during the same ordeal, being forced to eat rodents, which is likely to be an inversion of a Biblical prohibition against mice. <br><br>However, the whitewashing is happening here in Australia outside a "Satanic"/"inverted Christianity" context. There is a perp group I'm aware that paint the initiated children entirely white ("the white ones") and the uninitiated children in blood ("the red ones"). The "red ones" are taught to aspire to becoming a "white one" (totally obediant, etc) and the two "types" are kept completley seperate from one another.<br><br>In such a case, it seems that the "painting" of the kids is designed to foster competition between victims and an idealisation of the slavery role. <p></p><i></i>
biaothanatoi

Return to SRA and Occult Crime